shape
carat
color
clarity

Wednesday Blues <3

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Today I purchased my first unset true blue sapphire & there's a funny story that goes along with its purchase!

This stone was originally from desertrose (from my own home state) yet when I contacted her about the stone it had been sold and I looked into the right one but my heart was stolen by the left so I told her that if the sale somehow falls through to please contact me and that if it's meant to be mine it will!

I'm a huge believer in that, especially when it comes to gemstones or jewelry pieces and so when someone else purchases what I've had my eye on or it becomes unlisted, it's so refreshing to be able to say to myself "I suppose it wasn't meant to be & if it is it will find it's way to me somehow, someway."

Well only a few days later as I was lurking LT and was scrolling, my eyes widen and I see it! The exact specific sapphire that I had fallen in love with was being sold quickly after, if not immediately after; not to mention the coincidence that out of everyone that could have purchased it, it was the sweet woman who sold me my "Mermaid Bubblegum" emerald! I joked with her that she had sold me some beautiful velvety emeralds, currently this gorgeous sapphire, now all I need to purchase from her is a nice little ruby! Haha

So this baby is named fate & it was a blue sapphire kind of day <3

My beta which I purchased at walmart when my daughter was under a year old and who had lived to the ripe old age of 5 finally passed yesterday & my daughter and I went back and purchased a teal sweetie which we named....

Yes you guessed it; "Sapphire"
Although with his lighter teal complexion he's a Montana Sapphire gal!

Screenshot_2020-07-08-21-10-48~2.png

Now to "Fate"

"Fate" is a petite gal at 5mm but is a beautiful Ceylon cornflower blue & packs a glowy bright punch of blue in sunlight! She is completely untreated & unheated and is my first ever unset true blue sapphire purchase! I feel so lucky to have her as I fell in love with her!

Im thinking of a possible toi et moi ring with a diamond or even a pearl in yellow gold?

Or a modern gypsy setting in rich 18k brushed matte yellow gold?

Ive also have yet to browse Ivy&Rose but I cannot wait because every stone that I've purchased from desertrose has been even more stunning when set!

I'm sure there's a sparkly diamond & rose gold premade setting with Fates name on it!

I cannot wait to update the thread with some handshots of this baby! Im just delighted!

Here are some stills from the below video from desertroses instagram!

Screenshot_2020-07-08-18-35-26~3.png
Screenshot_2020-07-08-18-35-28~3.png

Also who said blue is a melancholy color? I find it nothing but soothing!
My little also got a sweet blue Elsa dress from her grandparents today and obviously HAD to wear it to the store!

Screenshot_2020-07-08-19-09-38~2.png

paragon1234

Shiny_Rock
Well done for keeping a Betta for 5 years. Mine only live for 1 or 2.

I was really tempted by that sapphire too. I'm looking forward to seeing what you will do with it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluelicious.

voce

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome! I also have a story like that, except it's a Mahenge spinel from Yvonne I was besotted with. Looking forward to seeing which setting you'll choose for it.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a nice story! So glad this worked out for you, you were meant to own that sapphire. It's beautiful! Your daughter is so sweet, love her Elsa dress. Brings back memories of my dd...she's 31 now!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
@paragon1234 awe thank you! Yes the ones commonly purchased from Wal-Mart/petco/petsmart usually only live 6 months to 1 year but I attribute it to happiness. I kept his tank high up where hed get natural sunlight from a North facing window- but never direct. I also put watersafe crystal clusters in his tank as I do believe in the hippy dippy energy stuff and I only fed him a small amount each day, making sure he ate it (if not id scoop it out of the tank) and always at the same time. He made numerous bubble nests and had such a personality. I'm pleased to find Sapphire is catching onto the feeding schedule and has started his bubble nest already! Hes swimming around all cute! When they swim happily they look like fish out of a disney princess cartoon to me haha

Also please know that sometimes the fish we buy already have a disease that we cant see but is just too far gone so I hope nobody feels bad if they've had their beta die quickly on them. Sometimes theres nothing we can do!

& Yes I was eyeing the exact one that I bought before when she had many pairs of the blue sapphire. It was odd that the remaining pair had the best color IMHO. She still has the right one if you want to swipe it and be sisters! It has just as nice of a color with a chunkier cut!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
That's awesome! I also have a story like that, except it's a Mahenge spinel from Yvonne I was besotted with. Looking forward to seeing which setting you'll choose for it.

Thank you! Is the story up on PS anywhere?

I'm kinda digging a modern celestial setting! Like a gypsy set signet ring with a star engraving emergimg from the sapphire in brushed 18k yellow gold. It Will be 2 or 3 months until I set it though, most likely.

I wish I had one style that I could variate like elles beautiful haloed collection but I find myself loving so many different styles. My box is so incohesive. Would you say I have a style voce?

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Such a nice story! So glad this worked out for you, you were meant to own that sapphire. It's beautiful! Your daughter is so sweet, love her Elsa dress. Brings back memories of my dd...she's 31 now!

I do feel as if it was meant to be! (:
& she can be such a sweetie. Its neat to see how alike her & I are. We both love to play in the rain and the mud- arent afraid of getting messy but are so drawn to girly things. She has a collection of dress up dresses that she sees as her fancy clothes and does her best to keep them nice! I wish i could keep her this age forever :cry: but I remember that If I'm lucky enough to live to be a gramma then I can live this over taking only the best parts! Haha

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! Is the story up on PS anywhere?

I'm kinda digging a modern celestial setting! Like a gypsy set signet ring with a star engraving emergimg from the sapphire in brushed 18k yellow gold. It Will be 2 or 3 months until I set it though, most likely.

I wish I had one style that I could variate like elles beautiful haloed collection but I find myself loving so many different styles. My box is so incohesive. Would you say I have a style voce?

No, but I'll tell the story if I make a thread for the ring. Yvonne hasn't given me an update since I sent the gems in and paid the deposit.

I'd say you have STYLE, but are not beholden to any one particular style.

I enjoy having different styles of rings. Some days I want to reach for something fancy, and other days I want to go for simple and clean lines.

Beautiful blue! I love the idea of a toi et moi with a diamond (or maybe emerald?), or perhaps a BtF ring with one side as this beautiful blue and the other an arrangement of diamond & pearl!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Courtesy of El Google
Screenshot_2020-07-12-11-10-53~2.png Screenshot_2020-07-12-11-11-53~2.png

Awwww, that's so cool - to know he's happy and adjusting to his new home because he's building a bubble nest! Thank you for sharing and teaching me something new. Oh, and sorry for the threadjack!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, that's so cool - to know he's happy and adjusting to his new home because he's building a bubble nest! Thank you for sharing and teaching me something new. Oh, and sorry for the threadjack!

You are utterly a-ok & welcome mah-lady!
Anytime I get to talk about happy bettas is a good conversation!

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another believer in the "meant to be" theory...and so glad it was meant to be yours!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Fate has been in my bra this evening and will go under my pillow tonight!
Also Sapphire is just goin' to town!
Go Sapphire Go!!!!!!

IMG_20200714_001524790.jpg
IMG_20200714_001526722.jpg
IMG_20200714_001502930.jpg IMG_20200714_001458218.jpg IMG_20200714_001431662.jpg
His tank perched high above us mere mortals & cats. He gets lots of indirect natural light & I'm sure the jungle of plants makes him feel protected.

Sunny Fate

IMG_20200713_154051865_HDR.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now having not known about bubble nests until you (thank you, @TheGarnetGirl!), I want to say "Wow, that is a BIG bubble nest!" but I have no idea actually. Still, it impresses me. Go, Sapphire!

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Update on Fate :wavey:

I decided on my original design as I've been craving one similar for so long!
The original ring setting that I imagined for Fate was a rich & buttery 18k yellow gold ring that was brushed matte and the sapphire would be held in place by tiny prongs that are inside of this lovely & almost artisan engraved celestial body coming out from the sapphire!

I found this beautiful ring & sent my jeweler this as inspiration although my stone is much larger so it will be adapted/modified but It shows you the simple & bold clean lines that I'm envisioning and how the prongs will work with the engraved star.

It's an adapted gypsy-set signet ring made feminine, modern, magical, & simple.

& I've truly pined for one for so long! I've seen many fine gold traditionally shaped signet's that have a diamond set with a star engraving but they were either 1k for a teensy diamond and 14k gold or they were a piece I would have had to settle for in place of something I really loved.

Sapphires to me are very magical and represent alchemy in a sense. I'm very spiritual & believe that blue sapphires especially hold a lot of power so I feel lucky that Im finally designing a setting befitting of the wondrous stone.

So overall my design ideas for this setting incorporate:

-18k yellow gold
-5mm unheated ceylon sapphire
-Brushed/matte finish on entire ring/band
-celestial engraving encompassing the gypsy set sapphire
-sized to fit my pointer & middles as I have too many for my ring fingers!

First image is my inspiration photo:
icm_fullxfull.265566202_5ttsiuzoypkw4sokcg4o.jpg

These rings also influenced me along the way & are also what inspired me to create a modified version of the above!
il_570xN.2021776968_50lp.jpg Antique-Victorian-3-stone-Diamond-Sapphire-full-1A-700_10.10-a4bc199a-f.png 51b32c70b40d59c0c4734f3a9f873096.jpg 4613573_master.jpg starburst-signet-ring.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on having fate come back to you! It's a beautiful blue and I can't wait to see your completed ring.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
So I need some swift opinions!
Dan sent me this CAD & I liked the overall shape and style but asked if he could remove the tabs and have those four prongs instead like my inspiration photo & he sent me this!

& Now I kind of like the first....what do you think?

I just don't know if I want the 5mm stone held by 8 of those tabs?!

First CAD
icm_fullxfull.267821294_qulaboek4a8ogk0k4s0s.jpg

Second closer to inspo
icm_fullxfull.267840468_pyadxr4hwr484k0gso8s.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think the space to the E and W of the sapphire looks empty; I'd put little diamonds to either side of the sapphire and make a delicate three-stone, set the way it's shown on the second CAD.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I think the space to the E and W of the sapphire looks empty; I'd put little diamonds to either side of the sapphire and make a delicate three-stone, set the way it's shown on the second CAD.

I actually like the overall design and don't want other stones. I just needed an opinion about which CAD seems more appealing via how it's held.
Thank you!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the looks of both. No help, I know!
Does it help you to decide if you find out how far up or recessed the prongs will be? I think some examples show the prongs recessed below the dome of the ring, others show them above the dome.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I like the looks of both. No help, I know!
Does it help you to decide if you find out how far up or recessed the prongs will be? I think some examples show the prongs recessed below the dome of the ring, others show them above the dome.

Thank you! I really don't mind if they show above or not so....haha
Such a minor change but I cannot decide!!!

With the first I'm worried about gunk getting stuck under the "prongs" and I don't like how the sapphire is covered by 8 so I'm leaning to the second now

Ahhhhhhh
What an exciting problem to have though
:dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results