shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Dress Stress, looking at two, looking for more,.........

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
26.gif
Hi, new here so this is my first post. Looking forward to getting some feedback from y''all.
My fiance and I are planning a wedding for Oct 2011, outdoors, in SC.
I have been looking at dresses in magazines and on a whim, went to David''s Bridal with my fiance, who is my best friend and best confidant, to look at dresses. I am the type of person who never thought about a wedding, never planned on getting married, etc. Tomboy, work outside with horses, not a ''dress'' person so to speak, 5''2 tall, 110 lbs, pre-vet student, farm girl sort of person ;-).
So, wanted to get an idea of ''what looks good on me and what doesnt'' sort of thing, just to get an idea. I had a few dress styles I really liked, one in particular, my first ''that is the dress I really like'' in a magazine, which was the Simone Carvalli 7117 style, floor length, strapless, ivory, A-line dress.
Simone Carvalli Dress Here
Took this photo with me to DB. The first dress the consultant pulled was something that they had in the DB collection that was the closest thing to the SC dress- it fit perfectly and was my and my finace''s favourite dress, even after 20+ different styles of dresses.
Well, the last dress I tried on was one that we saw on a maniquen when we first walked in, the Galina Signature collection, Galina Sig. Dress Here.
I just mentioned it, as "the one that looks like feathers on the bottom", and she got it. My fiance actually laughed at it at first, because it did look a bit different, but once I got it on and stepped out the dressing room, he actually gasped. We loved it too.
So, it was between this ''fluffly'' dress ( thats what we refer to it as!) and the first beautiful one I tried on.

After this, I felt obligated to allow some family and friends to come to the DB and see them on, give their opinions, etc., just to ''appease'' them and make them feel like they were a ''part'' of the thing. However, I wish I had not now, because for a while, I got really stressed about making ''everyone else happy'' with a dress choice. Everyone had different opinions and dresses they liked better because of this or that, and would get exact opposing comments about each dress from different people, it was just ridiculous. Finally had a sit-down with "D", my fiance, and just resolved to myself and him that it did not matter what ANYONE else thought about them, I had to remind myself ( and us ) that this wedding is about us, our descions, etc. etc.
Sure some of you have had to remind yourself that!!
So, I have decided to keep looking for dresses, other than these two, but I still have these two on my mind and in my ''possibilites'' catagory,..........
In saying all of that, and the point of all of this (ha-ha, if you are still reading this ''book''!!!! So sorry, a little bg never hurts!!), is that I want to know your opinions on these two dresses, as brides-to-be and brides and previous brides that are in a similar situation, what are your opinions on the two dresses? *Photos below* Also, being anonomous here is good for this because I am not trying to ''please anyone'' but myself.

**How do I add photos!?!?!?!** Haha, cannot figure it out!!
-Em

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
do you have photos of yourself in the dresses (is that what you were trying to upload)? that would really help!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/6/2010 9:41:32 PM
Author: Maevie
do you have photos of yourself in the dresses (is that what you were trying to upload)? that would really help!

that would be most helpful! both dresses are beautiful. my opinion w/o seeing you in either of them is probably leaning toward the simone carvalli for this reason: you stated you''re 5''2", i just wonder if the drop waist and fuller skirt on the DB dress would overpower your frame. but that DB dress is gorgeous, while i was their w/my best friend buying her wedding dress, a girl was trying on/buying this one & it is fantastic. you really can''t go wrong w/either. and my advice is to focus on what you (& FI) want. too many opinions can just confuse you sometimes.

___

as for uploading photos, click on "attach file," browse your photo files, select photo, and click "upload." the trick? photo has to have unique name, so a file named "dress" probably wouldn''t work & it has to be under a 100kb.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Without seeing them on you I like the second dress. The first one is traditional and well, pretty "ususal". The second one is different and
really caught my attention.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Hey, thanks for the input already. Yes, I have photos of myself in them-that''s what I am having trouble uploading. They are too big, trying to downsize them, but the details are totally lost afterwards.
Any help uploading them? Should I put them online somewhere to add a link to here??

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Em, you can''t link to an outside source, but if you message the mods, they can upload the files for you.

To do it yourself, I usually open in paint and resize to 20% of the original then save with a unique name, like dress65989134.

Amanda.Rx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there! I''m an SC girl too!

As the previous poster mentioned, open your photo up into Paint, then you can hit Ctrl + W and a box will pop up that will let you resize the photo. I would generally choose 50% or less. Then rename the photograph something unique (something besides "dress1"). Then, you can post. Type something into the post and then choose ''attach file'' and upload your photo.

I''d love to see the dresses on you! They''re very different from each other, but I like them both a lot.

What style wedding are you having? indoor, outdoor, church, beach, formal, casual? Those questions may help you decide which style is more appropriate. I totally understand you in "please everyone but yourself"... that tends to happen with weddings. If you want to include your family in dress shopping, it would be nice of you. Plus, they may be able to point things out that you don''t see (sometimes brutal honesty is a good thing- ha ha). But- at the end of the day- you''re right, all that matters is what you and your FI like.

Good luck to you!

A

Anonymous

I really love the elegance of the Simone Carvalli dress, but like OP''s have said, it''s hard to tell without photos of you in it. Hopefully you can get them sized, can''t wait to see! I think there''s also something to be said for the other dress, if it actually made your FI gasp, how sweet!!
4.gif

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Ok, here goes.
Here is the Simone Carvelli "look-alike" from the waist up, sorry the face is blocked. ;-)

DSCN08162ndfaceblocked.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Simone Carvelli "look-alike" from the side with a random veil on.

*Note: Is there any way to attach more than one file?? By the way, THANK YOU for all of the help-figured out how to downsize and upload the photos one at a time!!*

1111webfriendly.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
The same, from the back, though I am doing whatever with my arm so the train is a bit messed up.
The front is gathered to the side with tons of sparkling bits all over the top, it is not a ''plain'' dress at all, quite elegant. (Both are ''elegant''). :)

111111wf.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Another view, same dress, from the back again.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
I do not think that last one came through. Oh well.
Here are the ones of the DB Galina Signature dress, hereby known as the ''fluffy'' dress. :razz:

DSCN08272ndfaceblocked.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Here is the back, which I do love of this one, the fluffly one.

2394dfvjad.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Here is the back view from the Simone Carvelli dress (jumping around here!) that did not come through on the other *above* post!

2987uwoihjfsd1111.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Ok, back to "fluffy" one.
Here is the front, though I am looking down and leaning down. Not very good pics!!!!
7.gif

adskjf;dsalkjf;df12340.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Ok, last one of the Simon Carvelli I found of the front again. Let me know if you ''need'' more photos, as I have a bunch of random ones on my computer that are of the two dresses.
Anyway, here it is.

2DONPG.JPG

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 2:37:05 PM
Author: Amanda.Rx
Hi there! I''m an SC girl too!

As the previous poster mentioned, open your photo up into Paint, then you can hit Ctrl + W and a box will pop up that will let you resize the photo. I would generally choose 50% or less. Then rename the photograph something unique (something besides ''dress1''). Then, you can post. Type something into the post and then choose ''attach file'' and upload your photo.

I''d love to see the dresses on you! They''re very different from each other, but I like them both a lot.

What style wedding are you having? indoor, outdoor, church, beach, formal, casual? Those questions may help you decide which style is more appropriate. I totally understand you in ''please everyone but yourself''... that tends to happen with weddings. If you want to include your family in dress shopping, it would be nice of you. Plus, they may be able to point things out that you don''t see (sometimes brutal honesty is a good thing- ha ha). But- at the end of the day- you''re right, all that matters is what you and your FI like.

Good luck to you!
Amanda,
Hey! Thanks for the help-what part of SC are you from?
The wedding is going to be an outdoor wedding-preferably in a field. It is going to be a bit of a mix between a formal and casual affair, in the fall of 2011.

I am open to other dresses, perhaps combining the two, the elements of the two I love about them, if there is a dress like that.
I am really into a dress like this: ( with the tulle tiered bits on the bottom, with the elegant top), as the photo I attached. Found it online, no idea where from, just as inspiration right now. The title it has is "Rivini-Trumpet-Trumpet-Ivory-2009-510121".
Thanks again! Sorry so many ''responses'' for the photos! :razz:

-Em

Rivini-Trumpet-Trumpet-Ivory-2009-510121.JPG

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
I am torn between those two dresses - I think the Carvalli dress is very traditional and simple and almost standard for a wedding dress, while the fluffy one is eye-catching and unique and beautiful. However, I think the Cavalli dress flatters your body more..

I do really like the dress you uploaded in your last post - and I would encourage you to try on more of that same layered style :) I think you can find one thats a bit more wow on you ..

However - if you love the fluffy one and your fiance gasped (how cute!), that might be your winner.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FLUFFY one!!!!! love it!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
Fluffy dress 100%! The other one looks very standard and average by comparisum, fluffy dress is so different and interesting and beautiful. The bodess is such a nice shape on you and the skirt looks so soft and feminine, I far prefer it to the other dress by ALOT. Love it!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Em,

Like Maevie I think that the Carvalli dress flatters you more. But perhaps if you found a different fluffy/ruffly dress where the skirt wasn''t quite as full, then that might work out better for you. But they''re both lovely dresses; just don''t be afraid to try more!

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s been my experience that if you''re torn between two dresses, you need to keep looking. You still haven''t found a favorite.

Of the two you''ve posted, I like the fluffy dress because it has more personality.

I''m glad you''re resolved to please yourself in this process. That is the most important thing you can do!

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Hey,
Thanks to all who have responded thus far and the support y''all have! Such a relief to hear.
:)
Your comments are my thoughts exactly-glad to see you can understand why I was torn between the two.
Yup, I am going to keep looking, but these two will still be ''there'', still on ''the list''. Any suggestions as to where to begin looking for a dress like the one I have mentioned about and we are talking about looking for?
Any add''t. thoughts are most welcome, it is so encouraging to hear comments from other brides, and surprisingly agree with my own thougts about it.
I agree the Cavelli flatters more, but the fluffy one does ''wow'' and I do love the bodice of that one.
;-)
-Em
32.gif
26.gif

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
You don''t seem to love either dress as the one. As someone who is almost exactly your built, I would say you can do better. Both dresses are nice, but a really drop waist and one with a lot of horizontal detailing and wide skirt are not your best bet. Honestly, I think you could find a dress that really makes your figure pop. I had a moderate skirt with vertical details and 4 inch shoes and I still looked a little stumpy in some of the pictures. I think your inspiration pic could look really amazing on you.
I would recommend things that either have a higher waist and/or vertical detailing.
http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/227857?f=193%3A194&f=99%3A101&offset=136 a higher waist and vertical detailing

http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/183339?f=193%3A195&f=99%3A101&offset=140 This has the romance you seem to like

http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/179729?f=193%3A195&f=99%3A101&offset=543 This one has ruffles, but more vertical

There are a lot of options, but as a fellow 5''2 girl you want to look statuesque and and the center of attention and it just takes a little more work on our part to get there
2.gif

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2010 9:35:47 AM
Author: House Cat
It''s been my experience that if you''re torn between two dresses, you need to keep looking. You still haven''t found a favorite.

Of the two you''ve posted, I like the fluffy dress because it has more personality.

I''m glad you''re resolved to please yourself in this process. That is the most important thing you can do!

couldn''t have said it better myself: ditto!

read your update, you''re right, you have lots of time to find a dress still & these will still be here. in the words of my wise mother (during my dress shopping search), "go try on more dresses; this is the only chance you''ll get!" have fun with it, don''t stress, and when you find "the one" you''ll know, and if you don''t (i didn''t) you''ll get tired of trying on dresses & pick the best/most wonderful/flattering from the crop you tried on.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
13.gif
Wow, thank you all- loving the great comments ( all are welcome!! )
Brazen: Thank you for the links. http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/179729?f=193%3A195&f=99%3A101&offset=543 definitely is a top choice!!!!! Wow, I really like that, a lot. I think this is more of the style that I am looking for instead of the other two, but I totally see the details and points you make from the two.
Good to hear from someone that is built like me and knows how to play it up. Haha, love your screenname too, we might be more similar than we thought! ( Brazen? yes, Irish? yes, Hussy? Eh,.........hahahaha. )
Great thoughts, thanks to all. Any add''t. are welcome of course. I love reading your thougths and ideas. :)

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
I like the second one all around. In the picture, on you, in concept, style, shape, etc. I think it looks great on you and has more appeal. Whichever you choose, I''m sure you''ll look great.

EmDressage

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/9/2010 10:13:38 AM
Author: EmDressage
13.gif
Wow, thank you all- loving the great comments ( all are welcome!! )
Brazen: Thank you for the links. http://www.brides.com/fashion/dresses/gallery/wedding_dresses/vendor/detail/179729?f=193%3A195&f=99%3A101&offset=543 definitely is a top choice!!!!! Wow, I really like that, a lot. I think this is more of the style that I am looking for instead of the other two, but I totally see the details and points you make from the two.
Good to hear from someone that is built like me and knows how to play it up. Haha, love your screenname too, we might be more similar than we thought! ( Brazen? yes, Irish? yes, Hussy? Eh,.........hahahaha. )
Great thoughts, thanks to all. Any add''t. are welcome of course. I love reading your thougths and ideas. :)
Just to add, I am in love with this dress (on the link ). I do want to find it, so did some researching and found a store that is a retailer of the brand and can order a loaner dress ($50.00 out of my pocket) for me to try, though the loaner will be my size *the size I have been fitting into, rather for wedding dresses* and the colour I want (the ivory).
I am going to keep looking around for a bit, but if nothing else catches my eye, I am going to try it and just pray that I am not just wasting $50.00 for them to ship it there for me to try *sigh*. Please let me know if y''all see anything that is similar to this, it would be much appreciated. I have been looking for more, but I just keep coming back to this one. We''ll see.
:) Thanks again. :)

Mrs.SE

Rough_Rock
I think they are both gorgeous! The NON FLUFFY one is very elegant and grand-esque. The Fluffy one has Personality and uniqueness - I vote FLUFFY!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results