shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding bands....what a pain in the....ARG! (your opinions needed!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
(I may have put this in the wrong section....if I did, I'm sorry!)

Hey everyone!

It's been a while since I've been here....I've been trying to catch up on all the posts, which is almost impossible!

We're free enough to start talking about wedding plans again (although we REALLY are looking into eloping now at this point!), and the subject of wedding bands has come up once again. Everything else came so easy, the E-Ring, the dress, EVERYTHING....so this is rather frustrating!

I am a huge fan of matching wedding bands. Bryan would like it too, but is not so nuts over it like I am. There is a band that goes with the tension ring I have
Click here to see the E-Ring. It kind of wraps around it, but probably would not look so amazing if worn alone, which is important to me. Also, my E-Ring is a bit big on my left hand, but on my right, it's PERFECT so it would work out to have the band on the left and the E-ring on the right. And the E-ring looks awesome alone anyway, so why mess with a good thing?

Which leads to the decisions. Bryan is picky, worse than me probably. He's gone through at least 6000 ring designs online. He doesn't like anything blingy....he wouldn't even stand for a diamond on his until I found a gorgeous band with baguette stones on it....and to my surprise, he liked it! It would be so easy to match my own wedding band to this one, I could even customize something for me. So this is exciting. However, his hands are kinda 'rough around the edges'....he works with his hands. So I'm not sure if it would suit....here it is:

Click here!

The second choise is this one. I have no idea how I'd match my own band to this one, but I'm sure I could figure something out. I found this one online and he loved it, especially the darker metal in the middle. However, I want us to both have platinum bands (it's the only thing I'm persistant with, and so far I've convinced him! lol!), so perhaps the contrast of the dark and light could not be replicated with platinum like it can with this titanium design, unless it was shiney polish and matte in the middle....

Click here!

The third option is super geeky, and is something we both like the idea of. LOTR matching bands. We'd get our own wording on it, and I could have the stones on mine and his plain. Both in platium too. Or maybe this designer could do the vertical baguettes on it like the first one I posted, with the wording between. That could be an option!

Here is the design we like, just not the yellow gold on it. We like the whole shiney edges and matte middle thing....

Click here!

My dilemma is, I just love the baguette one. It's so classy and elegant yet 'masculine'. The fact that he even likes it is amazing....because of the diamonds in it. I could match something great to it, but there's the problem of it not suiting his hands....or maybe it would? No way to tell, as I have no idea where we would find this to 'try'. It looks so great plain like that with the stones....but I do want to make it into 'our own' design, but I fear anything engraved would mess it up!

I thought I'd ask all of you your opinions on these three rings. I'm not going to let opinions sway me, but maybe you guys will think of/ point out something that I haven't come up with yet. It's always good to get opinions to help weigh the pros and cons of stuff!

Thank you all in advance. I'm off to catch up more on what I have missed in the last while on Pricescope!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1st one.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
It''s the one I''m leaning to as well, just because matching ones would look so classy and pretty:)
The other two are more funky, gimmicky, and neat.

Anyone else?

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think the man should select whatever he likes. I dont think it''s a big deal if the rings dont match. Quite honestly, I think the man gets rather shafted in the whole ring thing. He doesn''t get an engagement goodie (though I''m considering getting my FI a very fine engagement watch because I think he should get to select something he loves too and my guy loves watches). For the most part, women select their ering. Why not let him select his wedding band? I''m going to help my FI pick out a band but I dont expect that they''ll match and as long as he really likes his ring and wears it, I dont much care what it looks like. So if it were me, I''d let him pick out some options and show them to you. See what his taste is really like without any prompting. He might surprise you!

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 4:48:22 PM
Author: surfgirl
Personally, I think the man should select whatever he likes. I dont think it''s a big deal if the rings dont match. Quite honestly, I think the man gets rather shafted in the whole ring thing. He doesn''t get an engagement goodie (though I''m considering getting my FI a very fine engagement watch because I think he should get to select something he loves too and my guy loves watches). For the most part, women select their ering. Why not let him select his wedding band? I''m going to help my FI pick out a band but I dont expect that they''ll match and as long as he really likes his ring and wears it, I dont much care what it looks like. So if it were me, I''d let him pick out some options and show them to you. See what his taste is really like without any prompting. He might surprise you!

Thanks for writing!

Actually, these ARE the ones he selected....he just can''t decide, and neither can I, so I posted here:)
He''s not really a ''jewellery'' type of person either so he wanted my help of course....

So I''m not the one trying to persuade him on anything, just to clear the air! After all, he''s the one that has to be comfortable wearing it!
I''m just kinda set on getting something matching SOMEWHAT, because I think it''s cute, and it''s mostly the reason he was previously leaning towards the LOTR set....he kinda likes the idea too....or at least ONE aspect of the ring with something in common, like secret stones on the inside:)

I agree, men DO get shafted! Haha! Bryan is not the type to care, he holds no interest in ''material wealth'' which is funny because I''m one of the most materialistic people I know. Go figure.
3.gif
He actually gets uncomfortable when anyone buys him stuff, but secretly I know he likes it on some level;-)

I''m sure it will come to us soon. So far everyone we''ve asked likes the first one.

Anyone else?

BTW, the watch idea is so lovely....very very thoughtful!
1.gif

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I love the first one. I have never seen diamonds on a wedding band look masculine but that one does! Baguettes will give a tiny bit of color flash but are NOT blingy. Super subtle. I love it.

Signed pieces is first rate. I have bought from them before and Isaac the owner is wonderful and super accomodating.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m glad to hear he''s picked them out. He has great taste! I dont normally like diamonds on a man''s ring but I have to say that first one is indeed very nice and unique. What type of work does he do and is he an active outdoorsy guy? Does he work on cars? if he does alot of "guy stuff" the diamonds might not be practical as I think we women are alot more careful with our rings than men are...Just a consideration. I found some rugged looking rings at Matthew Trent online. I think the hammered bands look very masculine.

http://www.matthewtrent.com/03_bridal_met_bands101.html

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
I would just worry about the fact that he works with his hands, and a ring with diamonds in it that would get knocked around quite a bit. I think that either of the last two would be more practical, but I do like the first one best.

*M*

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 5:12:43 PM
Author: amylikesrocks
I love the first one. I have never seen diamonds on a wedding band look masculine but that one does! Baguettes will give a tiny bit of color flash but are NOT blingy. Super subtle. I love it.

Signed pieces is first rate. I have bought from them before and Isaac the owner is wonderful and super accomodating.

Awesome, thanks for the comment and the info. I emailed them a couple of questions:)

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 6:11:21 PM
Author: surfgirl
I''m glad to hear he''s picked them out. He has great taste! I dont normally like diamonds on a man''s ring but I have to say that first one is indeed very nice and unique. What type of work does he do and is he an active outdoorsy guy? Does he work on cars? if he does alot of ''guy stuff'' the diamonds might not be practical as I think we women are alot more careful with our rings than men are...Just a consideration. I found some rugged looking rings at Matthew Trent online. I think the hammered bands look very masculine.

http://www.matthewtrent.com/03_bridal_met_bands101.html

Thanks for the reply!
Yes, I thought the same thing....wasn''t picky about diamonds on a mans ring but I saw this and was like....ohhhh!
He''s an active guy, yes. We surf and stuff. We work online, so there''s no risk of killing it there!
We also live on an RV and travel. The only time his hands are in ''danger'' are when he''s working on something that has to do with pimping up the truck (LOL) or anything maintainence on the RV. That and the odd bit of lobster fishing for a month or two when we travel back to his hometown in PEI.

So I guess the diamond one wouldn''t be a bad idea should he choose it. Today we''ve been talking about getting a celtic like tattoo similar to the design of the second one....as our ''perma'' wedding bands, and then getting the baguette one for him and a matching ring for me when we ''go out'' and such. Could be an idea, as they would cover the other....
We''ve been wanting to get the matching tats for a while, so....hehe....

Hmmm!

Thanks for the site, checking it out right now!
:)

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 6:17:35 PM
Author: poptart
I would just worry about the fact that he works with his hands, and a ring with diamonds in it that would get knocked around quite a bit. I think that either of the last two would be more practical, but I do like the first one best.

*M*

Thanks for the input! Everyone I''ve asked on here and other places (friends etc) just LOVE the first one!
He doesn''t do everyday work with his hands, just maintainence on our RV once in a while, or stuff with the truck....
It''s more that his hands may not be suited to it. (The design I mean!) I''m trying to picture. Maybe a thicker band would do the trick....!

Thanks again:)

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 7:18:09 PM
Author: StarSpun

*M*

Thanks for the input! Everyone I''ve asked on here and other places (friends etc) just LOVE the first one!

He doesn''t do everyday work with his hands, just maintainence on our RV once in a while, or stuff with the truck....

It''s more that his hands may not be suited to it. (The design I mean!) I''m trying to picture. Maybe a thicker band would do the trick....!

Oh I get it! Sorry, I misread what you meant. I thought his job required him to work with his hands. In that case, I would say go for it. You know that wide held belief that a tux and a shave can make any man look great? Well, I kind of think that this ring is like a tuxedo... it''s so classic you couldn''t go wrong. I like the idea of a ''perma-ring,'' haha! DH and I actually were going to do the same thing, but became lazy and never got around to it (although we do have matching tattoos... no. it''s not of our names, lol!)

*M*

liaspar

Rough_Rock
Starspun-

We are in the same fix as you! An engagement ring with a shape that won''t accomadate a wedding band, we don''t want the wedding band to curve to fit the ring as it would look silly on its own, we want our bands to mirror each other...I want it all! ;-) And finding the right solution seems like we''ll just have to give up on some of the things we want in the bands.

I''m so glad your fiance likes that band from Facets - it''s one of the few we''ve liked also! Have you seen this thicker version? I think my fiance likes it better because he likes the thicker width.It''s the one in the photo below, and here''s the link: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2228

Have you considered looking into having an Elvish or Celtic inscription done on the inside of the bands? I don''t even know if it''s possible to do a unique script on the inside, but it might be. I do love the tattoo idea though!

If you do decide to go with the baguette band, perhaps yours could have rounds burnish set (I believe that''s what it''s called) in between each baguette so it would echo the rounds in your engagement ring.

14645.jpg

liaspar

Rough_Rock
Another option this ring reminded me of is this one with a tension set baguette. It would match your engagement ring!

http://www.purejewels.com/cat_id//sfile//jump//product-Tensions-Baguette-Ring-D060His.htm

D004Hers_l.jpg

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
I love the first one, if it''s suitable to his career, etc. It would be stunning on a woman or a man.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Starspun...I know exactly how you feel. It was very important to me that our bands match. Well, after receiving my e-ring, I tried to find matching bands. Well, easier said then done. The only band my now hubby wanted was something with a hammer finish. Now that didn''t match my e-ring. After much headache and looking, my hubby got what he wanted and I got something that matched my ring. I wanted to wear both the e-ring and wedding ring together. How important was it for us to have matching bands, if one of us really didn''t like the style? After all each person is going to wear it for the rest of their lives. And who wants to wear something that they really don''t like. Good luck in your search.
35.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first one all the way, I think the other two are detractingly busy.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 7:21:34 PM

*M*

Oh I get it! Sorry, I misread what you meant. I thought his job required him to work with his hands. In that case, I would say go for it. You know that wide held belief that a tux and a shave can make any man look great? Well, I kind of think that this ring is like a tuxedo... it''s so classic you couldn''t go wrong. I like the idea of a ''perma-ring,'' haha! DH and I actually were going to do the same thing, but became lazy and never got around to it (although we do have matching tattoos... no. it''s not of our names, lol!)

*M*

Hehe, sorry, I probably wasn''t clear with the working bit. He''s got very ''worker'' like hands though (the sexy kinda, haha!), that''s why I was wondering if it would suit him! I just realized we''ll be heading up past NY at the end of April, so we could possibly stop in to Facets and check things out:D

I totally agree, the ring is so classic, I can''t imagine going wrong with it at all!

Hehe, yeah we''ve been wanting to do the matching tattoos since the beginning. ALMOST the beginning, I swear it;-)
So the wedding bands seem like a good way to do it. What are your matching ones like?
I think it''s a really neat idea!

Thanks for writing!
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
another idea
have you seen the poesy rings in the signals catalog? you can get them in white gold. (be right back...)

i like #3, in one color, not two tone.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 8:38:26 PM
Author: liaspar
Starspun-

We are in the same fix as you! An engagement ring with a shape that won't accomadate a wedding band, we don't want the wedding band to curve to fit the ring as it would look silly on its own, we want our bands to mirror each other...I want it all! ;-) And finding the right solution seems like we'll just have to give up on some of the things we want in the bands.

I'm so glad your fiance likes that band from Facets - it's one of the few we've liked also! Have you seen this thicker version? I think my fiance likes it better because he likes the thicker width.It's the one in the photo below, and here's the link: http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=2228

Have you considered looking into having an Elvish or Celtic inscription done on the inside of the bands? I don't even know if it's possible to do a unique script on the inside, but it might be. I do love the tattoo idea though!

If you do decide to go with the baguette band, perhaps yours could have rounds burnish set (I believe that's what it's called) in between each baguette so it would echo the rounds in your engagement ring.

Haha, it's good to know we're not the only ones to have this problem!
I can agree with 'wanting it all' too....lol!
2.gif

Thank you for pointing out the thick one. I think the thicker would suit him better (I could be wrong!), but I know he likes the 'edges' on the thinner band, like how it's shiny on the outside and matte in the middle....kind of breaks it up a bit. I kind of like that too!

As for the inside inscription, I'm sure it could be done. We'd for SURE go with the Elvish one....we were talking about that yesterday. So maybe it's working out to have all three of these rings incorperated, the first one is the ring, the second is part of the tattoo and the third is on the inside of the ring. Hmmmm!

Putting the rounds in is EXACTLY what I emailed Facets about....haha! That's awesome! Except I asked them if they could make a smaller version of his band for me and do it in mine! Two rounds together between each baguette. Wonder if they can? Still waiting to hear from them!

Thank you for writing! Let me know what you guys decide as well, and good luck!
1.gif

P.S. That tension one is VERY cool. Will show him!

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2007 9:29:04 PM
Author: KimberlyH
I love the first one, if it''s suitable to his career, etc. It would be stunning on a woman or a man.

Thank you for your reply! I think so too:) Hopefully they can make a smaller version for me!
:)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
from signals catalog - it didn''t tranfer the photos. you can get these from a lot of vendors, not just this catalog.

Languages Of Love Rings
Poesy rings, precious bands exchanged by friends and lovers, bear brief and secret sentiments. Ours are cast from priceless 15th and 17th Century originals. Note the old French spelling of Vous et nul autre (You and no other). The Old German inscription reads Myn Genyst (My Heart) and the Gaelic ring translates to "Pulse of my heart." Italian ring translates to "My heart is yours forever." Romantic love tokens and unique wedding bands. Story card with translation included. Whole sizes, 6-11.
Sterling Silver German Language Of Love Ring
(PG7922)
$49.95 Select Size 6 Size 7 Size 8 Size 9 Size 10 Size 11

Sterling Silver French Language Of Love Ring
(PG4582)

Sterling Silver Gaelic Language Of Love Ring
(PG7902)

Sterling Silver Italian Language Of Love Ring
(PJ8742)
$49.95 Select Size 6 Size 7 Size 8 Avail 04/10 Size 9 Avail 04/10 Size 10 Avail 04/10 Size 11 Avail 04/10

14K Gold German Language Of Love Ring
(PG7932)
$329.95 Select Size 6 Size 7 Size 8 Size 9 Size 10 Size 11

14K Gold French Language Of Love Ring
(PG5002)

14K Gold Gaelic Language Of Love Ring
(PG7912)

14K Gold Italian Language Of Love Ring
(PJ8732)

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
in my experience baguettes are a PIA...

i would go the non matching route. you get what you want, he gets what he wants...

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 1:22:31 AM
Author: Gothgrrl
Starspun...I know exactly how you feel. It was very important to me that our bands match. Well, after receiving my e-ring, I tried to find matching bands. Well, easier said then done. The only band my now hubby wanted was something with a hammer finish. Now that didn''t match my e-ring. After much headache and looking, my hubby got what he wanted and I got something that matched my ring. I wanted to wear both the e-ring and wedding ring together. How important was it for us to have matching bands, if one of us really didn''t like the style? After all each person is going to wear it for the rest of their lives. And who wants to wear something that they really don''t like. Good luck in your search.
35.gif

Thanks for writing!
That''s exactly it....if they don''t like it, they are the ones that have to suffer, and that''s not fair!
Thankfully we have the same taste in a lot of the rings. I liked some more wild stuff and he liked some of the plainer stuff, but there were a lot that we agreed on!
It''s neat though because at first, he said NO DIAMONDS, but things change I suppose. That or he must really really like the first one;-)
Thanks again!
35.gif

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 1:25:25 AM
Author: diamondfan
The first one all the way, I think the other two are detractingly busy.

I found the third one to be especially busy out of the three. Second one not so much, but the simplicity of the first one was just very very nice.
Thanks for writing!
1.gif

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 11:25:18 AM
Author: ladykemma
in my experience baguettes are a PIA...

i would go the non matching route. you get what you want, he gets what he wants...

Heya, thanks for writing!
Going to check out those rings you posted....
Well either way we do it, it will match, because I like so many different styles that I could match whatever he likes. That''s the beauty of having similar tastes in things and me liking too many styles. Actually it''s just a case of me liking a lot of different styles in this case! Haha!

How are baguettes a pain? Is that what you meant? Do tell!
1.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
in the two rings i have owned that had baguettes they were always shifting, moving or falling out...

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/8/2007 11:08:56 AM
Date: 4/7/2007 7:21:34 PM

*M*

*M*

Hehe, sorry, I probably wasn''t clear with the working bit. He''s got very ''worker'' like hands though (the sexy kinda, haha!), that''s why I was wondering if it would suit him! I just realized we''ll be heading up past NY at the end of April, so we could possibly stop in to Facets and check things out:D

I totally agree, the ring is so classic, I can''t imagine going wrong with it at all!

Hehe, yeah we''ve been wanting to do the matching tattoos since the beginning. ALMOST the beginning, I swear it;-)

So the wedding bands seem like a good way to do it. What are your matching ones like?

I think it''s a really neat idea!

Thanks for writing!

1.gif
Our tattoos are celtic hearts that are about the size of a silver dollar. The way it''s drawn it almost looks like there is a blade in the middle of the heart and it''s got a little knot work on the sides and colored in deep red. We got it the summer we turned 19 and we wanted matching ones, so it worked out nicely. If you do decide to get tattoos on your fingers like a band, make sure you talk to the artist about it a lot before hand, because I think the ink on your fingers has a tendency to bleed a bit, so something really intricate might not work, too well, although there are many people that can do very thin, crisp lines... in which case if you wanted something very detailed it might work.

*M*

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the first ring. It looks very nice with the diamond baguettes. Are you planning on wearing your e-ring on your right hand after you get your wedding band? Or are you trying to find something to match it? If your fiance is ''rough'' with his hands maybe titanium or white gold would be better. My hubby''s plat. band looked horrible after about a year. He is a outdoors man. He did everything with that ring on. ie. motorcycle, fishing, hunting, etc.....

Tammzy

Rough_Rock
Wow I totally feel your frustration! It's wierd actually how similar my situation is. I have a similar ering to yours, and was recently stressing about what kind of wedding band to get or to get one at all or if we should get matching ones. I have trouble posting pics, my ring is my display picture.
We are getting married in May so i've had to decide. I ended up ordering a custom wedding band to go wtih my ring, it will curve into it but I intend on wearing them both all the time. It wasn't that important to me to have matching bands, I think its a nice idea but it's not that important to my fiance and I. I love my ering so much, it's all I really want to wear on my left hand.
The wierdest thing is that my fiance is actually getting a wedding band with runic symbols on it, similar to the LOTR style. Similar to this ring
I'm not much help i'm sure, but I like the uniqueness of this ring and it has some meaning to us because we are both part scandinavian.
That said, I think I actually like the second one better, although i'm probably the only one. But it's totally up to the 2 of you. Trust me I know how hard it is to decide. In the end you guys will pick the perfect rings i'm sure of it. Let us know what you decide!
Btw, do you have any pics of the matching wedding band for your ering?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results