shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding Band question (how to check quality)

looking4d

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

My fiance and I were looking at weddings bands this weekend.

First we went to the mall and looked at the typical stores - Zales, Helzberg, etc.
She saw a ring she liked at Zales (.1 carat - $600)

Then we went to a place I've heard about - Tri-County (which is like a big indoors flea market/vendor place in Long Island)
We looked at some rings there, and after visiting many vendors there (about 10) she only saw 1 ring she liked.
It was .5 carats and only $400.

I asked if there were certifications on the ring, and she told me that wedding bands are usually not certified because the diamonds are too small to "waste" their time on.

So how can I make sure these are quality (real) diamonds?
How could it be 5 times the size but almost half the price?

I mentioned to my fiance she can look online for a ring (cheaper and better quality) but she wants to actually TRY on the ring, so she can make sure it fits right and looks right on her finger.

Thanks

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I doubt either of the rings is very high quality for the price. A quality shared prong ring with half a carat total weight should run about $1000.

Why is there a price difference? Metal type (what karat?), diamond quality (color and clarity usually). The one at the market might have been second hand. Who knows!

If it sounds too good to be true, it likely is.

I am sure there are better quality local jewelers. If not, I think you need to convince your FI to order online!

slg47

Ideal_Rock
also, she could definitely try on rings locally to see what style she likes (channel set? shared prong? etc...) and what width, and then order a similar band online. many of the online vendors have great return policies too, so she could return it if not 100% happy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results