shape
carat
color
clarity

Wedding band and engagement ring look mismatched?

srke

Shiny_Rock
So we went to the jeweller to make our wedding bands today, and I will start by saying that I really love the look of the bands by themselves. However looking back at the pictures we took (the rings are still with the jewellers for finishing) I'm now wondering if the band is too thick and wide compared to my engagement ring.

Because of the patterning and platinum rails I wanted at the side, my band needed to be relatively wide at about 5.5mm total compared to my 2mm e-ring, and it was sized about one size larger too since the band was wider and I didn't want it to feel too tight. So I knew the band would larger than the engagement ring itself.

However now looking back at the pictures I am getting the impression the stack of wedding band and e-ring gives my finger a sort of pyramidal shape making it look short and fatter, and I'm not sure if it seems to be drowning out the solitaire. (I think the rings by themselves look better compared to when I'm actually wearing them :oops2:)

I'm not sure if it's all in my head. And I don't even know if it is an option at this stage to ask the jeweller to make the band smaller or thinner. I was hoping you guys could give me your thoughts about whether you think the combination would look better if we filed off some of the height or sized it down a bit? (Although I am also somewhat hesitant to ask to take off too much metal given future polishing will just take more metal away and I don't want to end up a pattern section that is too thin).

I would love everyone's thoughts.

IMG_20180113_134529.jpg IMG_20180113_134539.jpg IMG_20180113_134721.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180113_134535.jpg
    IMG_20180113_134535.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 61

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The bands are lovely and unusual, and will look great worn alone, but as you’ve asked, I think it’s somewhat overwhelming your E ring due to its width.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The wide band would be great as a stand alone piece, it’s so unusual and pretty- could you have a second band to wear with the e-ring?

srke

Shiny_Rock
Yes I feel my engagement ring is being overshadowed by the wedding band. We both loved the idea of matching mokume rings and really love these as our wedding rings.
I initially didn't even want to get an ering so we didn't really consider how they would go with the band. it was an impulse thing but I've since fallen in love with having a nice sparkly diamond to wear xD. I did also consider wearing the rings on separate hands but really want to see if i can find a way to make them work.

We couldn't really decrease the width for my band and for the pattern to still be discernable. But I was thinking maybe making it less thick would make it less overwhelming... Or upgrading to a larger diamond :mrgreen2:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE the look of your band, but the e-ring does look mismatched. As an alternative suggestion to modifying the band, what about re-mounting your diamond on a thin mokume band? Here are a couple of examples:
275A3CF0-AD74-4E4C-8FCB-0D9B0581E174.jpeg 31A05A53-C032-4482-9B99-4B915CA28A11.jpeg

srke

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE the look of your band, but the e-ring does look mismatched. As an alternative suggestion to modifying the band, what about re-mounting your diamond on a thin mokume band? Here are a couple of examples:
275A3CF0-AD74-4E4C-8FCB-0D9B0581E174.jpeg 31A05A53-C032-4482-9B99-4B915CA28A11.jpeg

Resetting the stone on a mokume or even a slightly thicker band sounds like a great idea. I really like the tapered look on the second picture.

I'm not sure if i want to convince my SO to spend more on jewellery currently :whistle:, but after the wedding when I'll start wearing both rings, getting the e-ring reset seems like the best option.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love your wedding band!!! Don’t change that please. Thinking it out in my opinion would ruin it based on how those bands are made

I’d get a sholdt semi bezel or a multi tone maevona setting that can stand up to that beautiful setting

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have any friend with a yellow gold setting for a similar sized diamond? You might give that a test. I wonder if the metal was 18k yellow gold if that would make it pop more.

I think your wedding band can be changed. Your band is made up off 4 pieces. The mokume stripe, the liner (inside of band -- its solid color not a continuous mokume pattern going from outside to inside) and the two white metal rails on the outside. They should be able to substantially thin the side rails. Your DH's ring lacks the rails all together. I suspect the construction of your ring requires them, but they should be able to really thin them for you.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I feel my engagement ring is being overshadowed by the wedding band. We both loved the idea of matching mokume rings and really love these as our wedding rings.
I initially didn't even want to get an ering so we didn't really consider how they would go with the band. it was an impulse thing but I've since fallen in love with having a nice sparkly diamond to wear xD. I did also consider wearing the rings on separate hands but really want to see if i can find a way to make them work.

We couldn't really decrease the width for my band and for the pattern to still be discernable. But I was thinking maybe making it less thick would make it less overwhelming... Or upgrading to a larger diamond :mrgreen2:

I’d reset the diamond in a Mokume setting to match the WR, and if it still appears overwhelming to the diamond, upgrade. :mrgreen2: Simple (ha ha) solution!! :lol-2:
I love the bands. Your solitaire is also beautiful, but the WR really pops against it. I believe resetting will be the best option, and allow the diamond to pop out of the design, more. ;)2

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am imagining your diamond holds its own better in person than in the photos, due to the sparkle that the camera cannot capture!
I personally like the look of the thin band, as though the diamond is floating above the thicker wedding band.
I could see where you might want a change eventually, but I think it looks nice.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go larger with the band of your e-ring, there will then be even more metal on your hand, and the diamond will look smaller by comparison. A more substantial band would be better, but you'd also need to go up in size for your diamond if you want to maintain a sense of proportion between the two rings (which is what's missing at the moment).

On the other hand, you COULD go smaller in your mokume gane band. If you go to www.chrisploof.com you'll see, in the engagement ring section, an e-ring with a 2.5mm band. There's no reason you couldn't have, say, a 3mm wedder. I went through a mokume gane OBSESSION phase, and I talked to Chris on many different occasions. Apart from anything else, you could also lose the unpatterned edging, which would slim the ring a lot. If you did that, and had your e-ring in a plain band, the e-ring would work as a plain edging to the top of the wedder anyway.

I'd also try to have the e-ring made slightly thicker. I don't mean wider - I mean thicker - so it was the same depth as your wedder, and didn't get so lost underneath it, which is your main problems at the moment.

And if all else fails, and when in doubt - halo! Or bezel. Either works.

But for my money - I'd go 3mm with a non-edged wedder and have the e-ring made in platinum, but with a thicker band so it sat up higher. Frankly, just thickening the e-ring band would help a lot. But I wouldn't be throwing more metal width at this project; it's a very sweet looking diamond on your hand, and I'd try to stay with that if I could.

Good luck!

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go larger with the band of your e-ring, there will then be even more metal on your hand, and the diamond will look smaller by comparison. A more substantial band would be better, but you'd also need to go up in size for your diamond if you want to maintain a sense of proportion between the two rings (which is what's missing at the moment).

On the other hand, you COULD go smaller in your mokume gane band. If you go to www.chrisploof.com you'll see, in the engagement ring section, an e-ring with a 2.5mm band. There's no reason you couldn't have, say, a 3mm wedder. I went through a mokume gane OBSESSION phase, and I talked to Chris on many different occasions. Apart from anything else, you could also lose the unpatterned edging, which would slim the ring a lot. If you did that, and had your e-ring in a plain band, the e-ring would work as a plain edging to the top of the wedder anyway.

I'd also try to have the e-ring made slightly thicker. I don't mean wider - I mean thicker - so it was the same depth as your wedder, and didn't get so lost underneath it, which is your main problems at the moment.

And if all else fails, and when in doubt - halo! Or bezel. Either works.

But for my money - I'd go 3mm with a non-edged wedder and have the e-ring made in platinum, but with a thicker band so it sat up higher. Frankly, just thickening the e-ring band would help a lot. But I wouldn't be throwing more metal width at this project; it's a very sweet looking diamond on your hand, and I'd try to stay with that if I could.

Good luck!
Great points.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has a mokume band. Originally we were going to get matched bands, his just wider than mine. The narrowest I could get at the time was a 5mm. My diamond is about 5mm on a 2mm band and I too thought they look mismatched. It made my diamond look smaller. I found a 2-3mm band made my diamond pop and didn't overwhelm it so we didn't get matching.

I like your engagement ring. I like your wedding ring. I don't think they match though. They could be worn on different fingers.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To MY eye they do not go well together. Does the wedding band fit your right hand? If it does maybe get a plain wb the width of your ER and wear both. That would be a LOT less expensive than resetting your diamond, would show off your diamond better and let you also wear a band that matches your DH. Best of all worlds IMHO.

sparlie

Shiny_Rock
Can you wear one of your rings on your right hand? They are both beautiful, however the ering is very delicate and the wb takes away from it when worn together.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP I love your bands, they are so usual and beautiful! Honestly, my best and most economical advice will be to simply wear your e-ring on your right hand after the wedding. You might even like the separation. I am from Europe originally and there wedding bands are typically thicker, thin bands are just staring to be popular so it is very frequent to see the two rings separated and I quite enjoy the look. Down the road you can always reset, but I love your solitaire the way it is.

I did read something about a resize, I am not 100% sure, but can the bands even be resized without interrupting the pattern? Your jeweler might just need to order your band in the correct size and not try to resize the current band.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your Mokume bands are beautiful! I hope you don’t alter yours. Either wear your e-ring with it or separate them on different hands or reset into something like the Sholt half bezel. Just don’t alter your gorgeous band! :wavey:

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is not the current look we often see here, but I think this look is beautiful and unique and thought you might enjoy a different perspective.
CE84D26F-5E88-4A7C-B759-8C59860074B1.jpeg 82E4758D-EB59-4D29-8406-6AC81A96F1E8.jpeg 33443215-8A87-49D5-945A-871C01C7AA74.jpeg C901A972-AA07-4161-8194-021B7E33352D.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s nothing wrong with “the look” unless “you” don’t like it. If it was me, yes, I’d look at changing the diamond over onto a similiar band in the future.

srke

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your very wonderful and helpful suggestions and insight.

We actually spent the day at the jewellers helping to make our the mokume section of our rings so we 're definitly keeping the same bands. The inner sleeve and rails were one solid piece that we then slid the mokume section onto, and they had a ring sizing thing that squeezed the mokume section smaller and stretched the sleeve and rails larger until they fit. I was hoping they could use that to squeeze the ring slightly smaller, but given how thick the band is I think it would be more comfortable at the larger size, especially since I don't have to worry about it spinning unlike the ering.

I think comparing the pictures of the other rings of different sizes, the rounded profile of the band might be adding to the mismatched feel I'm getting.

I'll see if the jeweller can flatten the profile on the ring and take off some of the height at the center. I wanted the band to be able to stand alone as well which is how e determined the thickness of the rails, but I think it could still work if we shaved off just a little bit of width.

Hopefully that will make the band less overwhelming and if after the wedding it still bugs me, I'll try to get to get a slightly higher and thicker ering setting . (and one day maybe a bigger diamond;)2)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like both of your rings, so I would do my own thing and wear each on a different hand.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like your set, as it is in the first post. Is it possible that you just aren't yet used to looking at the set yet? I think I remember that took a little while to get used to.
I'd suggest that you go ahead and wear it that way for a little while, then if it's still bugging you, have your jeweler make the changes you are thinking about.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your set is beautiful! :love: To my eyes the mismatched widths looks deliberate and the contrast is striking - your set makes a statement! :sun:

I would make the same suggestion @mrs-b had earlier - IMO equalizing the depths of the two rings (height off the finger) would perfect the set. This could be achieved by having the Ering made thicker or by sizing it up a half size or so - which, given the width of both rings together, might not be bad prep for summer! ::)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your rings look great together. I like those bands. As others mentioned making the rings the same depth would make a difference.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another idea would be to leave them be, as they are, and ADD a thin (1.8mm) pave diamond band and wear it between your WR & ER (Anniversary Band) to add bling & bring out the sparkle in your ER. You have the space on your finger to do it, and it would compliment the set & add bling to metal. I also think it may give your ER center stage.

Karen MaddenDreiser

Rough_Rock
So we went to the jeweller to make our wedding bands today, and I will start by saying that I really love the look of the bands by themselves. However looking back at the pictures we took (the rings are still with the jewellers for finishing) I'm now wondering if the band is too thick and wide compared to my engagement ring.

Because of the patterning and platinum rails I wanted at the side, my band needed to be relatively wide at about 5.5mm total compared to my 2mm e-ring, and it was sized about one size larger too since the band was wider and I didn't want it to feel too tight. So I knew the band would larger than the engagement ring itself.

However now looking back at the pictures I am getting the impression the stack of wedding band and e-ring gives my finger a sort of pyramidal shape making it look short and fatter, and I'm not sure if it seems to be drowning out the solitaire. (I think the rings by themselves look better compared to when I'm actually wearing them :oops2:)

I'm not sure if it's all in my head. And I don't even know if it is an option at this stage to ask the jeweller to make the band smaller or thinner. I was hoping you guys could give me your thoughts about whether you think the combination would look better if we filed off some of the height or sized it down a bit? (Although I am also somewhat hesitant to ask to take off too much metal given future polishing will just take more metal away and I don't want to end up a pattern section that is too thin).

I would love everyone's thoughts.

IMG_20180113_134529.jpg IMG_20180113_134539.jpg IMG_20180113_134721.jpg

Karen MaddenDreiser

Rough_Rock
Very pretty can it be made thinner I think it would highlight your diamond much better. They are both just beautiful

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results