carat
color
clarity

Wealthy people don’t…

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
you just cant tell

You really cannot tell by looking at someone or talking with someone if they are wealthy or not.
Why would anyone truly wealthy announce it?

A very long time ago we spent a week at the ultimate luxurious resort. A Forbes Five Star property in Upstate New York on the Rockefeller Estate. Every need was catered to their guests and we were pampered like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. It was a wedding gift from Greg's boss (who we didn't even invite to the wedding-what a classy guy he is). Anyway everyone there (besides us that is haha) had to be extremely wealthy. It cost many thousands a day to stay there and depending on the accommodations over 5 grand a night for some of the suites. One of the men at our dinner table said oh he asked if anyone was coming from NYC as he took his private helicopter and would have taken us. LOL. Anyway they were the nicest and warmest individuals we have had the pleasure of meeting and no way could you tell (helicopter comment notwithstanding) they were super wealthy. It was truly an unforgettable stay. But I digress.

So yeah I agree with @Daisys and Diamonds. Do not judge a book by its cover and you cannot tell who someone is or someone's wealth status that easily. No one who is smart is going to advertise it to strangers. It is no one's business how much money anyone has.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Rich people don’t cook or only cook as a hobby =)2. One of my coworkers had never cooked in his life. He’s married now and his wife has never cooked either. They’ve always had chefs or ordered out. They own apartments in Manhattan and a huge house in the Hamptons. One of my other coworker owns an entire floor in a large building on the upper East side and she cooks because she enjoys it.

Rich people seem to work because they want to and not because they have to.

Rich people don’t even have second thoughts about paying for their kids private school, private universities, graduate programs and travels.

And if you own property in NYC (any borough), you’re rich!! :mrgreen2:

This brings back memories. I went to school with wealthy kids and we all went back to someone's apartment after hanging out one day. I sneakily checked their fridge (don't tell my mom) and it was a wasteland. I'm not sure what goofy 16-year old me was expecting. A tower of handmade pastries? Lobsters to fall at my feet? I was deeply disappointed.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
This brings back memories. I went to school with wealthy kids and we all went back to someone's apartment after hanging out one day. I sneakily checked their fridge (don't tell my mom) and it was a wasteland. I'm not sure what goofy 16-year old me was expecting. A tower of handmade pastries? Lobsters to fall at my feet? I was deeply disappointed.

Im liking your post on behalf of your mum (and my mum)

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK I stumbled across something that reminded me of this thread -- from Batman Begins (yes, it's a busy evening). In this instance, it's not what wealthy people don't do but what they do do:

"...buy things that are not for sale."

I have never done that. :cool2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire:

This thread is as ugly as would be a thread titled, "Poor people don't ..." or "Black people don't ..." or "Women don't ...", or "Asians don't ..." or "Christians don't ..." or "Gay people don't ... "Muslims don't ..." or "Atheists don't" or "Liberals don't ...".

Those threads would be reported and likely deleted.
Why is it okay to lump together all rich people and make generalizations (be they kind or unkind) about them?
IMO praising or shaming of all groups (that have not committed a crime, as in Nazis) is wrong, including wealth shaming.
Group praising can also be offensive as in, "Asian women are the most beautiful."

Rich people just vary, as do people in every group.
Let's respect diversity.
The only thing the rich are guilty of is having lots of money ... which arouses that nearly-universal ugly green monster, envy.

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure I understand the reaction above.

I certainly don't understand the comparisons. Even then, one person's racism is another person's cultural competence.

The thread was tongue-in-cheek, I assumed. There are three pages of responses.

No one contends that rich people are all the same. Tolstoy tells us that happy families are all alike and he gets a pass. :cool2:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This thread is as ugly as would be a thread titled, "Poor people don't ..." or "Black people don't ..." or "Women don't ...", or "Asians don't ..." or "Christians don't ..." or "Gay people don't ... "Muslims don't ..." or "Atheists don't" or "Liberals don't ...".

Those threads would be reported and deleted.
Why is it okay to lump together all rich people and make generalizations (kind or unkind) about them?
IMO shaming of all groups (that have not committed a crime) is wrong, including wealth shaming.

Rich people just vary, as do people in every other group.
Let's respect diversity.
The only thing they are guilty of is having lots of money - which arouses that ugly green monster, envy.

And yet, YOU resuscitated this thread which would otherwise have been buried in oblivion…odd.

Go ahead and report it along with everyone who offended your sensibilities by playing along. Oh. Yeah. We were making fun of ourselves—as my original post indicates! Guess we all deserve a spanking from the righteous Kenny :roll::roll:

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

First, I want to tell a story about what LilAlex wrote. I actually met a couple, who did ask to buy what was not for sale. When they were looking for property to buy, they would always ask a seller if they could buy some of their possessions. However, if the seller said they would be interested they always incorporated it into the selling price, which this couple determined would be far less than if they purchased it separately. Or, they would ask the seller to include it in the price of the house. The property being sought would be a teardown in an excellent neighborhood. I found that interesting.

As for Kenny, I have read him making the argument that generalities are necessary, for the mind processes some things quicker and easier. Some generalities are true, others may not be. What Kenny, and others in our society are asking is, I think, an impossibility for our world. We all don't want all that diversity. And because we are diverse, we will choose our own areas of what we want as diversity. Sorry Kenny, I believe you are part of the "cultural problem in our country.

Sorry Nala for the diversion.

Annette

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Curious, what (net worth) would be considered wealthy?….in a first world country.

Some may think $5m or $10m, some may think $100m or $1b.

I think the question Seafarm raises -- what is considered wealthy -- is an interesting one.

The truest answer I've ever heard as to whether a person (or family) is wealthy (monetarily) is if they can safely, comfortably and happily live within their means...or not.

I've known some people who can experience everything they wish to in life within a $75K USD salary and others who can't live happily within a $1 million+ salary, and desperately want more.

Some people, when their net worth increases, their desires and expenditures increase, so they always feel under water or at least nervous about their finances.

I'm not moralizing, just thinking out loud how I would answer the question of if a person is rich or not. My own personal view is being "rich" = feeling safe, secure and comfortable and NOT whether a person vacuums their own home (or not) or carries a designer handbag.

For the record, I clean my own house, but do it while wearing earrings and an E-ring that cost more than most people's 4 year college tuition. That's just how I roll.

Last edited:

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The truest answer I've ever heard as to whether a person (or family) is wealthy (monetarily) is if they can safely, comfortably and happily live within their means...or not.

I think this is a great definition. And agree, that some people's wants increase as their income increases and therefore they are not always financially comfortable, no matter the dollar amount, and others whose income increases, don't change their life style based on the additional funds, and are very comfortable.

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem I have with that definition is that some people who were clearly wealthy nevertheless went broke because they spent beyond their means.
An extreme example is Nicholas Cage who bought a castle, an island, multiple cars and yachts and other extravagant items, some of which leave you shaking your head.

Perhaps I'd change the definition to being wealthy if one could reasonably live safely and comfortably within one's means even if one comes to experience any of the more common problems that may cause insolvency, like costly medical treatments (e.g. cancer treatment, any conditions that require long term custodial care, etc.) I think I'd omit "happily" because some people aren't happy no matter what they have; for some people it's never enough, but they are still wealthy by most people's definition.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The problem I have with that definition is that some people who were clearly wealthy nevertheless went broke because they spent beyond their means.
An extreme example is Nicholas Cage who bought a castle, an island, multiple cars and yachts and other extravagant items, some of which leave you shaking your head.

Perhaps I'd change the definition to being wealthy if one could reasonably live safely and comfortably within one's means even if one comes to experience any of the more common problems that may cause insolvency, like costly medical treatments (e.g. cancer treatment, any conditions that require long term custodial care, etc.) I think I'd omit "happily" because some people aren't happy no matter what they have; for some people it's never enough, but they are still wealthy by most people's definition.

This diamond ring debacle stands out in my mind....

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
The wealthy people I know ( business owners ) :
Travel only business or first class , wear only brand names , wear only luxury watches/bags . Buy new in season clothing/shoes . Never buy items on sale or clearance ,always pay full price . have lots of mini vacations throughout the year .Always drive luxury cars . Usually have maids or house help that live in or come daily . Do constant home renovations and change furniture every couple of years .Their kids always go to private schools .

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
The wealthy people I know ( business owners ) :
Travel only business or first class , wear only brand names , wear only luxury watches/bags . Buy new in season clothing/shoes . Never buy items on sale or clearance ,always pay full price . have lots of mini vacations throughout the year .Always drive luxury cars . Usually have maids or house help that live in or come daily . Do constant home renovations and change furniture every couple of years .Their kids always go to private schools .

Its funny because the truly wealthy people I know eschew most of those things you've listed (except the sending their children to private schools - the best education is always a must.) Anything "showy" is considered nouveau riche and frowned on, and an indicator of someone who will quickly run through their money instead of building and protecting inter-generational family wealth.

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Its funny because the truly wealthy people I know eschew most of those things you've listed (except the sending their children to private schools - the best education is always a must.) Anything "showy" is considered nouveau riche and frowned on, and an indicator of someone who will quickly run through their money instead of building and protecting inter-generational family wealth.

Actually these people I know inherited their wealth , they did not work for it . Maybe it makes a difference ?

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock

My point is a person (or family) is NOT wealthy if their wants exceed their means.

Whether you or I think a person SHOULD be able to live within a certain budget (because that budget seems large to us) is a separate matter. If they can't manage to live within their means, they aren't wealthy, end of story.

A disciplined person (who didn't let the money go to their head) COULD set up their live rather well if they had a windfall of money. Sadly that's often not what actually happens. We see that cycle repeat again and again with movie starlets, rockers, sports icons, people who win the lottery and many others. I do not consider those people wealthy because they do NOT have the freedom from worry that true wealth can bring (even if we think they SHOULD based on their windfall.)

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Why is it okay to lump together all rich people and make generalizations (be they kind or unkind) about them?
IMO praising or shaming of all groups (that have not committed a crime, as in Nazis) is wrong, including wealth shaming.
Group praising can also be offensive as in, "Asian women are the most beautiful."

Let's respect diversity.
The only thing the rich are guilty of is having lots of money ... which arouses that nearly-universal ugly green monster, envy.

You left out
Conservatives/ right wingers dont
Where is dancing fire when we need him :(2

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Let's respect diversity.

Pretty egregious virtue signaling. If you can't make a distinction between bigotry and tongue-in-cheek observations, I don't know what to tell you.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wealthy people are often surprisingly cheap.
True, I used to go to fly fishing conventions and being under 18 it was not that expensive as I got a reduced rate. It was held each year at a college campus and you could get a dorm room for the 2 nights even at adult prices a very good rate. Breakfast lunch and dinner included.
Each year there was an older guy there who would go up to people and ask them if they were there by themselves which meant they had an extra bed in the dorm room and if they shared he would not have to pay for lodging. He has a cooler of food I later found out so he did not have to pay for meals.
I found out later the guy had a huge corporate farm that he owned with fields in 3 states.
Ya just never know.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...being under 18 it was not that expensive as I got a reduced rate...I found out later the guy had a huge corporate farm that he owned with fields in 3 states.
Ya just never know.

Maybe he only went up to the under-18-year-olds...

Also, lots of farmers with outrageously valuable land holdings are cash-poor.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe he only went up to the under-18-year-olds...

Also, lots of farmers with outrageously valuable land holdings are cash-poor.
He was going up to everyone as they registered.
That is possible I guess, you never know.

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
....... A very long time ago we spent a week at the ultimate luxurious resort. A Forbes Five Star property in Upstate New York on the Rockefeller Estate. Every need was catered to their guests and we were pampered like nothing I have ever experienced before or since. .......

Was this stay at The Point, by any chance? Sounds like a fabulous trip. (And a great wedding gift from the boss!)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was this stay at The Point, by any chance? Sounds like a fabulous trip. (And a great wedding gift from the boss!)

It was! And one day I’d love to go back!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
It was! And one day I’d love to go back!

That is fantastic! I've always wanted to visit The Point---I hope to get there one day. :) I wish there was a PM function here because I'd love to hear all about your stay!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI

....don't worry about the price of Taylor Swift tickets! :lol-2: :saint: :twirl: :P2 :tongue:

cheers--Sharon

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My mother always taught us that new money screams, old money whispers.

On that basis, I believe you wouldn’t really be able to tell which of my friends had money. Everyone is pretty low key, assuming you didn’t see homes or cars. I’m sitting here in old OLD Levis, flip flops & a posh t-shirt that I bought second hand on eBay. I love a good eBay bargain :lol-2:

But being able to cook fresh healthy meals for my children 7 days a week & nourish their growing bodies, is the best wealth in the world.

SandraLynn

Shiny_Rock
My husband and I are not wealthy, at least what the term is considered to be these days. If there was a middle class still, we would be the definition of happy and comfortable . I believe my husband has a wealthy mindset. He tries to spend as little money as possible, always. Not because he doesn’t have it, but so he can keep it. The answer is wealthy people don’t
“Like to spend money”….at least until they have so much that it just doesn’t matter any more.

I feel wealthy and maybe because together we have enriched each others lives. He makes smart financial choices and has been teaching me a thing or two to set up our future for success. I was not taught these things growing up so when I met him it was a big turn on to have someone who could guide me in the right direction and build together.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results