shape
carat
color
clarity

We have picked a diamond, please give your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, after much searching we think we have selected our diamond for my engagement ring. I have done a lot of research but I still feel in the dark when it comes to depth/table proportions and cut for princess diamonds, which is what I am looking at.

We have picked the diamond from Blue Nile, as they have the setting that I have fallen in love with and want to get everything from one place. Please let me know if this diamond is up to par. Please, please let me know if there is something I should know about this diamond, particularly about the cut, that would cause you to hesitate before choosing this diamond. I would really appreciate help from all of you out there, I have been lurking on here and posting some small questions for a while now and I have learned that you all know so much more than I could ever hope to comprehend so I take your advice very seriously.

Here are the specs for the Blue Nile diamond:

1.27 Princess Diamond w/ GIA cert.
Cut: Very Good
Color: H
Clarity: VVS2
Measurements: 6.23 x 6.03 x 4.26
Depth: 70.6%
Table: 72%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Excellent
Length/Width Ratio: 1.03
Girdle: Very Thin to Slightly Thick
Cutlet: None
Flourescence: None

I would really appreciate any thoughts you have on this diamond. Also, any estimates you could make on what you think the price should be would be great. I will list the price shortly but I would love to see what everyone thinks it should be worth.

Again, I can''t thank you enough in advance for your opinions on this. This ring is going to be one of the biggest purchases of our life and we cannot wait to make our decision, we just want to feel as sure as possible that we are choosing the diamond right for us.

Thank you!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Candlelite-

How exciting to be diamond shopping
1.gif
Let''s see-I''m NOT an expert, but it might be important to find out where the girdle is very thin. If it is on the corners of the princess, it *might* make them more prone to chipping. Also, for me personally, I would probably go lower on clarity and higher on color-but that''s just my preference
2.gif
. I''m sure the others will chime in with more advice. good luck!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Siamese Kitty, what a cute pic! Thanks for your advice! I don''t know if Blue Nile can provide the information on where the girdle is very thin but I will call then tomorrow and ask. I never thought of that at all and it makes so much sense, thank you so much! I completely agree with you that ideally I wouldn''t mind finding a VS1 or VS2 and moving up a little in color but unfortunately Blue Nile doesn''t have anything in our price range that fits all of our other criteria and offers this so I am happy with this one as long as it checks out. In a perfect world I would find a F/G VS1/VS2 in the same size and in my price range but I haven''t come across one yet and we are ready to buy asap. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it!

Siamese Kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the kitty compliment.:) I hope your stone checks out-I''m not sure how much info BN provides either. In any case, if the stone isn''t all you thought it would be, BN has a pretty good return policy from what I''ve read on this forum. Please post pics when you get your lovely ring
9.gif

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
JulieN, thanks for your suggestion but I am really happy with the diamond we picked, I just want to make sure it looks ok to everyone here and there are no glaring problems that someone, like me, with little diamond buying experience would miss. Do you have any thoughts on the diamond I selected?

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 1:25:25 PM
Author: candlelite80
JulieN, thanks for your suggestion but I am really happy with the diamond we picked, I just want to make sure it looks ok to everyone here and there are no glaring problems that someone, like me, with little diamond buying experience would miss. Do you have any thoughts on the diamond I selected?

I think the point here is the very thin girdle. Have you read this:

http://diamonds.pricescope.com/fancy.asp

You really do need to be wary of very thin girdles on Princess Cuts.

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 1:03:24 AM
Author:candlelite80
Please, please let me know if there is something I should know about this diamond, particularly about the cut, that would cause you to hesitate before choosing this diamond. I would really appreciate help from all of you out there, I have been lurking on here and posting some small questions for a while now and I have learned that you all know so much more than I could ever hope to comprehend so I take your advice very seriously.

1) Girdle (where is it very thin?)

2) Because it is not an AGS000 (like the one JulieN posted), I think it is hard for people to evaluate the cut with the information BN provides (or rather, does not provide, such as Idealscope/ASET images)... personally, without more information I would hesitate to buy a non-AGS000 princess. It could be a beautiful stone, but I don't think the princess experts here have enough information.

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Maisie and boston_jeff, thank you for your suggestions. I called Blue Nile and was told that they were not able to provide information on where the girdle was very thin and the woman I spoke with actually told me she wouldn''t look for a princess diamond with a very thin girdle as well. So... it looks like the search continues. Thanks for everyone''s help and I will post when we choose a new one.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
candlelight, something else you might want to keep in mind is the table size. I would try and keep it smaller than the depth.

Good luck on your search!

candlelite80

Shiny_Rock
Ellen, thanks for your response. Like I said I haven''t been able to grasp exactly what I should be looking for in terms of table/depth for a princess diamond so I have mainly been going by the chart found here http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp and staying within the 1A/1B parameters. This of course offers many possibilities and I never know if I should be looking at a diamond with a bigger table than depth or vice versa as you recommended. Is there a way to know what to look for? I would like a diamond that faces up nice and big but not so much that it is poorly cut. Mainly I would like to get the biggest face-up, well cut princess diamond that I can afford, I just don''t know how to find it. Also the fact that I am only looking at Blue Nile limits me somewhat but I would truly prefer to purchase the entire ring from one place and they have the setting I absolutely want. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/26/2007 3:01:33 PM
Ellen, thanks for your response. Like I said I haven''t been able to grasp exactly what I should be looking for in terms of table/depth for a princess diamond so I have mainly been going by the chart found here http://www.gemappraisers.com/oldcutgraderules.asp and staying within the 1A/1B parameters. This of course offers many possibilities and I never know if I should be looking at a diamond with a bigger table than depth or vice versa as you recommended. Is there a way to know what to look for? I would like a diamond that faces up nice and big but not so much that it is poorly cut. Mainly I would like to get the biggest face-up, well cut princess diamond that I can afford, I just don''t know how to find it. Also the fact that I am only looking at Blue Nile limits me somewhat but I would truly prefer to purchase the entire ring from one place and they have the setting I absolutely want. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Fancies are harder, and I''m no expert. I would keep in mind about the girdle, and keep the table smaller.

Julie picked a nice one out, you might consider that one. Sticking with an AGS000 will make it easier for you, if you want to stick with BN, as they don''t give much info.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/26/2007 3:21:55 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/26/2007 3:01:33 PM
Fancies are harder, and I''m no expert. I would keep in mind about the girdle, and keep the table smaller.

Julie picked a nice one out, you might consider that one. Sticking with an AGS000 will make it easier for you, if you want to stick with BN, as they don''t give much info.
I agree with what everyone has posted above. Blue Nile does not provide enough information for us to make an assessment of the diamonds'' light performance. Because of that, it is a safer bet to stick to AGS000 Princess cuts. I do like the one JulieN posted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results