shape
carat
color
clarity

We (FI and I) bought my first diamond, from WF :D

alongcat

Rough_Rock
So after a lot of to-ig and fro-ing and deciding on color and price *yikes* this is the diamond I settled on for my engagement ring and now we have bought it! I say 'we' because when you have a child together already finances are essentially mixed! Just paid for it and it should ship next week. :twirl:

The essentials:

Category Expert Selection (missed out on ACA only as Star is 47 and ACA is 48-55 but been told it is a mere technicality)
Shape Round
Carat 0.804
Color E
Clarity SI1 (have been promised it is super eye clean even from 6 inches)
Cut Ideal
Depth % 61.9
Table % 54.7
Crown Angle 34.7
Star 47.0
Pavilion Angle 40.7
Crown % 15.7
Lower Girdle % 76.0
Measurements 5.94x6.00x3.70
Culet Pointed
Fluorescence Negligible
Girdle Thin to Medium Faceted

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3408378.htm#

Some images from the website. Still trying to decide whether to use setting I have at home or get a new one but budget is well and truly blown so might have to settle for current setting. Will provide actual photos when I have my diamond. SOOOO excited!!! :appl:

Huge thanks to everyone who has helped me with my many questions :)

e_sl1_.jpg

e_sl_aset_0.jpg

e_sl__red_0.jpg

e_sl1_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wow, that stone is PERFECT!!! Seriously! Looks like an ACA to me! :love: :love: :love:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful WF stone--congrats! :appl:

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! She's a beauty. What is your current setting like? And if you could change, what style would you like?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous stone! You wont be sorry!!!

alongcat

Rough_Rock
ringo865|1455400673|3990650 said:
Congrats! She's a beauty. What is your current setting like? And if you could change, what style would you like?

Thank you for everyone's super kind words. I am so excited! If it wasn't for all the help I had had on here and searching others' posts, I wouldn't have had a clue what to get.

My current setting is a cathedral and it is very thin, which I love as my diamond isn't massive (a thicker band makes it look a bit smaller imo) but I would really like six prongs for security and because it looks so classic and emphasises the round shape - 4 prongs makes my current stone (just a sim) look almost square, but maybe that is also because the cut isn't as good by far as on my new one.

I just can't justify spending another $700 plus on a new setting when re-setting my current one will cost less than $100 and we have gone about $1000 over planned budget with the stone (but hey, it is a forever stone or at least a decade until we can afford a bigger one in a trade-up and luckily my FI wants me to have the one I love - within reason of course :naughty: ). So it may have to be a later project, WF has only got one setting which fits the bill price and thinness-wise and that is this one:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

But it is way too high. I have emailed to find out if it can be made lower and with the prongs more claw-like, as Gypsy helpfully pointed out that this setting is likely to snag on everything. My adviser at WF is away until Tuesday so will wait and see what he says but I suspect it will be too pricey to have it altered. I also wanted the security of having it set there so I know 100% I get the same diamond back - I am so paranoid about diamond swapping (I do not have a trusted jeweller - I am not a massive jewellery kinda girl on the whole) and I also feel very stressed about having to ask them to prove it is the same diamond after they set it (obviously I will ask them though, the diamond will have an ID number which I assume I can see through a magnification glass and I will have to ask them to set it so the identification can be read).

I also have to add WF have been fantastic and so patient with me. I have changed my mind about which diamond I want and asked a hundred questions and they must have been so sick of me, yet they have been polite and helpful throughout. Excellent customer service, and that really adds joy to the whole engagement ring experience. =)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe have it set in your existing setting (if it'll fit). Then look around and save up for either a new setting or a stacking band (or two) later. I love cathedrals cuz it seem protective when I bang my hand on everything. And I think they're pretty on the profile.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the specs!.. :love: beautiful stone.. :appl:

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Alongcat, congratulations! It looks like a beauty for sure. I agree with an earlier poster that perhaps reuse your setting for now and then save up for just the right one later. You may find you desire a specific setting once you wear your new stone for a while. But enjoy for now and what perfect timing around Valentine's Day. :))

alongcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks again for your kind comments :wavey:

Unless I can have the new setting altered as I desire for a very low price (which I doubt) I think I will indeed use my current setting. Part of the reason I wanted to get a new setting was so I could sell the current one and claw some money back - the sim on its own won't be worth very much. I am not that sentimental BUT there is something nice about keeping the original (though my OH thinks I should just get a new one altogether :roll: )

Now off to ogle other PS-ers' stones :appl:

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
That is one fabulous diamond - you did good!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you repurpose you setting for your new stone, you could put the sim in a pendant. ? Do you have a picture?

grateful4life

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! Looks like you have yourself a sparkler!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations. It looks like a beautiful diamond.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

That's one that I would have picked too! :love: :love: :love:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Your new diamond is a beauty! :love: :love: :love: Congrats! :clap:

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
wow looks beautiful can not wait to see it set :love:

alongcat

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone :) I am currently in the final throes of deciding whether or not to reset it... Turns out the Ritani setting cannot be altered so now have to decide whether to get it as it is a six prong which is what I want, or keep current one. This is my current settig with a sim. I do love the setting but with a diamond I had always pictured the classic 6 prong. Security is a big part of it but I also love how it emphasises the round shape of the stone... Have to make a decision by Sunday for sure. Current setting is very low whereas the new one would sit 7.4mm up (to the top of the stone). Hard to visualise that, suspect the current on is not over 5mm. I just don't want it to look weird and I am a bit worried about the space between diamond and base of ring. Never seen it in real life. :-o

not sure why this one ends up sideways...

img_10836.jpg

img_10837.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does the new setting have cathedral sides? They seem to make higher heads flow smoother to me. I dont know if 7.4mm is
out of the norm though as far as high/low goes. I would consider 5mm pretty low. Does it have to be a Ritani setting because
Vatche makes some lovely solitaire settings.

alongcat

Rough_Rock
Hey, it has to be the Ritani one as I can't justify spending any more money on me! There are some amazing-looking ons at WF but this is the only one we can afford now (really blew the budget on the stone):

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagemen...ni-1rz7295-solitaire-engagement-ring-4031.htm

I like it, but am worried about it looking too high esp for a .80 stone? I have been assured by WF it looks much daintier in real life as the CAD makes it look chunkier, and ofc on my finger it will be much smaller than the photo so again prob won't look as dramatic. Maybe a 2.5mm difference is something you get used to quite quickly - I would like one a bit higher than my current one anyway. I am not so worried about bashing into things - it's 2.5mm, not 20cm! ;-) It's more a quetion of how it will look on my hand. I am size 5.5 and I am tall so have long fingers and I imagine my hands are bigger than most women's simply because I am taller (5'10).

I do like the idea of a six prong, having it set already when it arrives in the mail rather than having to hand mine in to a jeweller for 2 weeks while it's being sent off and the difference in price compared to a reset is only about $100 so moneywise it's neither here nor there. In fact I am more likely to be able to sell my current one as an actual ring rather than the sim on its own :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results