shape
carat
color
clarity

*wave*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello ladies and gents!

I stumbled upon this wonderful forum while I was searching for gemstones.... and after spending a good 5 days reading every single post (well almost anyway
3.gif
)... I was wondering if it would be possible to get a few tips here and there ...

1. I just bought a beautiful 3.25cts light green (with a very slight bluish tint) tourmaline ... and I was wondering where the best places would be to buy semi mounts online?

2. I have become rather quickly addicted to gemstones hehe - thanks to this website!!!, and noticed that ebay sells ALOT of gemstones... but... I am scared to order from one and end up with glass instead... so... have any of you bought gems from ebay? Ive used toolhaus.org to view the negative feedback but im still not sure.. anyone have a list of ebay suppliers they have bought from/trust?

Anyway hello again!
9.gif

gladyskristen

Brilliant_Rock

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks!

Ive been through that list of vendors, they arent on ebay though... It's just so tempting to bid on an auction on ebay...especially with all the low prices... but I think I'll stick to these guys for now
2.gif
I hope they ship to the UK though!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 6:34:18 AM
Author: Deia
Thanks!

Ive been through that list of vendors, they arent on ebay though... It''s just so tempting to bid on an auction on ebay...especially with all the low prices... but I think I''ll stick to these guys for now
2.gif
I wouldn''t do it unless you know what you are doing - too easy to get ripped off. I do buy from a couple of ebay vendors, but I''m not giving the names out I''m afraid.

I''m also in the UK and haven''t had any problems buying in the US.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
welcome!

you get what you pay for. there is a whole wide range of prices for color stones. many command the prices of diamonds because they are considered fine. it is extremely hard to buy a gem without seeing it. many of the trusted vendors will send a stone out on consignment for approval. ebay is just plain dangerous. pictures are doctored and misrepresentations abound. cut and color are as important with color stones as they are with diamonds. and you don''t want to end up paying for colored glass.

there are some very educated color stone buyers who have gotten good deals off ebay but most have taken the time to get educated and have developed a rapport with the ebay vendor.

as with diamonds, there is something for every budget. but i can tell you that a fine spessarite, tourmaline, spinel, sapphire, etc. won''t be had for $200.

go to rwwise.com to get some further education re color stones. he spent the time and $ to get good photos and his descriptions of his stones are very educational for the novice buyer. admittedly, richard sells high end stones with high end prices.

please check out the other vendors as well. there are some good deals to be had. as i stated, there is somethiing for every budget.

movie zombie

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 12:48:38 PM
Author: movie zombie
welcome!

you get what you pay for. there is a whole wide range of prices for color stones. many command the prices of diamonds because they are considered fine. it is extremely hard to buy a gem without seeing it. many of the trusted vendors will send a stone out on consignment for approval. ebay is just plain dangerous. pictures are doctored and misrepresentations abound. cut and color are as important with color stones as they are with diamonds. and you don''t want to end up paying for colored glass.

there are some very educated color stone buyers who have gotten good deals off ebay but most have taken the time to get educated and have developed a rapport with the ebay vendor.

as with diamonds, there is something for every budget. but i can tell you that a fine spessarite, tourmaline, spinel, sapphire, etc. won''t be had for $200.

go to rwwise.com to get some further education re color stones. he spent the time and $ to get good photos and his descriptions of his stones are very educational for the novice buyer. admittedly, richard sells high end stones with high end prices.

please check out the other vendors as well. there are some good deals to be had. as i stated, there is somethiing for every budget.

movie zombie
Movie Zombie-- What about a smaller spessartite? I''ve seen some in the $200 to $300 range that looked GREAT-- well to me anyway, and were from vendors people seem to like around here. Is that possible? I don''t really know, because I have no experience with gemstones, but I definitely would like to learn.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 2:12:10 PM
Author: Kelli

Movie Zombie-- What about a smaller spessartite? I''ve seen some in the $200 to $300 range that looked GREAT-- well to me anyway, and were from vendors people seem to like around here. Is that possible? I don''t really know, because I have no experience with gemstones, but I definitely would like to learn.
Keli, whatever i say at this point will get me into trouble for i confess i am a color stone snob. so let me say this:

before i bought my spess, i saw one that was about 1/2 the size for about 1/2 the price. the difference was day and night re color, cut, windowing. i have yet to see another spess that compares to the one that i bought. however, we were buying for an e-ring and i wanted the best. would i be as picky for another ring? no, but i''ve now developed an eye after reading about stones and seeing many to know what i like and don''t like and as a result i''ve become rather picky.

another problem is that because most people don''t take the time to educate themselves regarding color stones, the market has been flooded with stones at inflated prices with a lot of marketing hype. there is a lot of that on ebay and the network buying channels but it can be seen in jewelry stores too. it was a high end local jewelry store that showed me the spess i rejected.

it also all comes down to budget but most importantly what pleases your eye. it doesn''t matter what the most desireable color is or if the cut is native or not or if there are inclusions, extinction or windowing: what matters is does the stone please you?! if you''re happy, that''s the important thing.

yes, you can get a $200-$300 nice spess from a respected pricescope participant vendor/cutter. will something about the stone bother you, does the stone speak to you, are you in a hurry or can you wait to save more $, is this for an e-ring or another project? all these and more will guide your decision making. personally, i found a lovely mali garnet from a returned to pricescope participant/vendor/cutter that didn''t break the bank but its not going to be an e-ring either.

my real poiint in all this is buy what pleases you but realize that quality stones do command higher prices and that buying from the cutter is a good way to get a stone for a good price....but cutters know when they''ve got a really fine stone and they''ll charge accordingly. however, a fine, high quality spess is going to cost more than $200-$300.

as in all things, let the buyer beware and you get what you pay for.....so if you''re like me its worth the time and trouble to get a bit educated because i just hate paying more for something than its worth. i''d have hated to have paid a high end price only to find out the stone wasn''t high end. but i''ve learned enough now to know whether its a fair price and what i can expect for my $. ebay is a good teacher!

movie zombie

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/7/2008 6:34:18 AM
Author: Deia
Thanks!

Ive been through that list of vendors, they arent on ebay though... It''s just so tempting to bid on an auction on ebay...especially with all the low prices... but I think I''ll stick to these guys for now
2.gif
Be very wary of Ebay unless you can risk spending money on what might turn out to be synthetic, lead filled, dyed, treated gemstones etc. There are a number of very good vendors on there but you still have to know what to look for. "Native" cuts are rife - i.e. gemstones cut badly.

Like Pandora, I''m in the UK and have bought successfully from many gemstone dealers worldwide. Why don''t you try AGS or Multicolour.com - they both have a great range for you to choose from. However, their lower end gemstones may still be native cuts (not always). The cutters/dealers in the US such as GemRite tend to cut their own gemstones and although you may pay more they''re certainly worth it.

One other thing to mention - watch out for import duties. On anything over £30 you will have to pay VAT and sometimes have to pay this before the package is delivered. You don''t always have to pay this. It''s pot luck and depends how it''s been shipped but if it''s by FedEx you can almost guarantee you''ll have to pay.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the asnwers :)

yea I have decided to stay away from the Ebay vendors as I am not educated enough on gemstones yet!

I have a lil project going on at the moment - I am going to get a garnet pendand made for my mother aas it is her birthstone ... Starting early so that I am sure to get the best stone I can :) anyone have any Rhodolite or Umballite Garnet jewelry pictures they would be willing to post?

As for my green tourmaline I have no idea what I could do with it expect that I know I want a ring made... so many options though! The LOGR settings are beautiful, and I just want to buy all of them !!! But since its a a somewhat large stone im not sure pave would be the way to go...

Ive contacted multicolour and David sent me over some more images of a rhodolite Garnet... but from what I can tell its not very nice albeit eye clean.

In any case I think it''s a good idea I read up and educate myself on gemstones before I buy the garnet - thanks for the link!
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
Hi! Welcome!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/7/2008 4:57:11 PM
Author: movie zombie

Date: 10/7/2008 2:12:10 PM
Author: Kelli

Keli, whatever i say at this point will get me into trouble for i confess i am a color stone snob. so let me say this:

before i bought my spess, i saw one that was about 1/2 the size for about 1/2 the price. the difference was day and night re color, cut, windowing. i have yet to see another spess that compares to the one that i bought. however, we were buying for an e-ring and i wanted the best. would i be as picky for another ring? no, but i''ve now developed an eye after reading about stones and seeing many to know what i like and don''t like and as a result i''ve become rather picky.

another problem is that because most people don''t take the time to educate themselves regarding color stones, the market has been flooded with stones at inflated prices with a lot of marketing hype. there is a lot of that on ebay and the network buying channels but it can be seen in jewelry stores too. it was a high end local jewelry store that showed me the spess i rejected.

it also all comes down to budget but most importantly what pleases your eye. it doesn''t matter what the most desireable color is or if the cut is native or not or if there are inclusions, extinction or windowing: what matters is does the stone please you?! if you''re happy, that''s the important thing.

yes, you can get a $200-$300 nice spess from a respected pricescope participant vendor/cutter. will something about the stone bother you, does the stone speak to you, are you in a hurry or can you wait to save more $, is this for an e-ring or another project? all these and more will guide your decision making. personally, i found a lovely mali garnet from a returned to pricescope participant/vendor/cutter that didn''t break the bank but its not going to be an e-ring either.

my real poiint in all this is buy what pleases you but realize that quality stones do command higher prices and that buying from the cutter is a good way to get a stone for a good price....but cutters know when they''ve got a really fine stone and they''ll charge accordingly. however, a fine, high quality spess is going to cost more than $200-$300.

as in all things, let the buyer beware and you get what you pay for.....so if you''re like me its worth the time and trouble to get a bit educated because i just hate paying more for something than its worth. i''d have hated to have paid a high end price only to find out the stone wasn''t high end. but i''ve learned enough now to know whether its a fair price and what i can expect for my $. ebay is a good teacher!

movie zombie
Thanks for the reply Movie Zombie! Any gemstones I purchase will not be engagement rings by any means, but it is good to learn about the money I could end up spending!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results