shape
carat
color
clarity

watch repair question

begoso

Rough_Rock
What are the common types of damages that can occur in a mechanical watch movement, and what steps are typically taken during the repair process to address these

issues? Are there any particular tools or techniques that are necessary for a successful watch repair, and what are the risks associated with attempting to fix a watch

without the proper training and experience? How does the cost of a watch repair vary depending on the extent of the damage and the complexity of the movement, and

are there any steps that watch owners can take to minimize the need for repairs over time? Finally, what are some of the best resources for learning about watch repair?

and maintenance, both for those who are interested in DIY repairs and for those who are looking to hire a professional watchmaker.

begoso

Rough_Rock
What are the common types of damages that can occur in a mechanical watch movement, and what steps are typically taken during the repair process to address these

issues? Are there any particular tools or techniques that are necessary for a successful watch repair, and what are the risks associated with attempting to fix a watch

without the proper training and experience? How does the cost of a watch repair vary depending on the extent of the damage and the complexity of the movement, and

are there any steps that watch owners can take to minimize the need for repairs over time? Finally, what are some of the best resources for learning about watch service repair?

and maintenance, both for those who are interested in DIY repairs and for those who are looking to hire a professional watchmaker.

thanks in advance for all your suggestions

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Countless.

I had a vintage Omega that was a few hundred on eBay a decade ago. It was a match for my late father's dress watch that had gone to another family member after he passed. I took it to the best watch place in our small city for a once-over. They have a national reputation for watch service. And they bent one of the hands. They swore "it was like that" but I know it wasn't because the reason I bought it was that the hands were perfect. I still am half-inclined to think thy stole the perfect hand and swapped in a bent one. The owner was so smarmy. They ultimately replaced it with a good-condition hand that did not completely match.

Spouse took her nice watch to a department store where they (clearly) did not have the correct tools to even open the case. It looked like somebody tried to use a hammer and chisel to separate the caseback.

I have a nice quartz made by a big name German manufacturer. After 20 years, the movement died and I sent it to the manufacturer with specific instructions to not polish the case! They polished the case.

Spouse bought me a fancy (used) watch for a milestone and one of the complications was out of sync. The nationally-known seller insisted on repairing it themselves and, by then, I had learned my lesson and sent it to the one place in the US that handles all their service. They did a great job -- and even alerted me that my springbars were "not of [snooty] manufacture" and would need to be replaced at my expense.

Nice automatic watches are like vintage cars. They are lovely but they are not trouble-free.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results