Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Watch help!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
I've always loved watches, but have never taken the plunge into getting a nice mechanical watch.

Right now I'm thinking of either the Ball Transcendent with steel bracelet
http://www.ballwatchusa.com/collections/ConductorTranscendentPearlL2JPK.asp

Or a JS watch, 32 mm style 101. (can't decide between the Black or blue MOP face!)
http://www.jswatch.com/collection/101-32-mm

Things I like about the ball: I like the rectangular face and tank-esque look, the pink MOP kind of tickles me, and the gas microtubes that provide the glow in the dark markers are kind of cool. Cons: I worry it looks too "trendy", the microtubes are cool but do lend it a sort of lego/kiddy feel, lol.

Things I like about the JS: It's a very classic old school feel, I love that the company is so small and practically everything about the watch can be customized since they hand make all the watches at their shop. You can get your name engraved on the rotor. Also, Iceland holds a special place in my heart because I went there for my honeymoon and just love the country. Cons: I do prefer rectangular over round faces. I wonder if it'll be difficult to service the watch given the company is in Iceland. I won't be able to read the time in the dark, lol. I'm mildy concerned it will look too boring for a dress watch. I'd ideally want something versatile.

Both watches have respectable chronometers. And I think the prices are comparable.
Thoughts? Does anyone own either of these pieces?

Thanks!
 

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
6,186
MakingTheGrade|1310156156|2964941 said:
Things I like about the JS: It's a very classic old school feel, I love that the company is so small and practically everything about the watch can be customized since they hand make all the watches at their shop.
What I'm getting from the brochure is the movements are ETA 2824-2 / ETA 2836-2; ETA is a company in Switzerland. These are low grade, stock movements any watch company can buy. The case is "German steel" or maybe made in Germany. This is very far away from actually being a hand made watch. I also don't see much connection to Iceland, other than the company decided to make watches there, even though the advertising seems to say a great deal about the history of Iceland. The quality of these watches is not unique and I'd be willing to be they're expensive for what they are. Maybe DF can comment.

I don't have any opinions on the other one you mentioned. Maybe someone else does.

Best regards,

Danny
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Thanks danny! That was very helpful indeed. I was looking for the chronometer model but couldn't find it, glad you did though.

The other thing I don't love about the JS is the printed dial face. Hmm..
Any suggestions for other watches that also have that old school charm and romance to their look?

ETA: Sorry, I meant to write "hand assembled", lol, hence the high degree of customization in the ordering.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,399
Imdanny|1310158559|2964984 said:
MakingTheGrade|1310156156|2964941 said:
Things I like about the JS: It's a very classic old school feel, I love that the company is so small and practically everything about the watch can be customized since they hand make all the watches at their shop.
What I'm getting from the brochure is the movements are ETA 2824-2 / ETA 2836-2; ETA is a company in Switzerland. These are low grade, stock movements any watch company can buy. The case is "German steel" or maybe made in Germany. This is very far away from actually being a hand made watch. I also don't see much connection to Iceland, other than the company decided to make watches there, even though the advertising seems to say a great deal about the history of Iceland. The quality of these watches is not unique and I'd be willing to be they're expensive for what they are. Maybe DF can comment.

I don't have any opinions on the other one you mentioned. Maybe someone else does.

Best regards,

Danny
wish i could help but i don't know anything about these two brands.
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
As much as I like the JS watches, and I do , I'd go for a Ball, if 't'wer me. I just adore the faces and hand styles of the Balls. I love Roman numerals and the ornate hands, so mine would be the Lady Trainmaster. I like the one you do too, but if you're comparing two watches, I'd rather be comparing two rounds, than a round and an tonneau.

I'd be more inclined to the Ball too, because they've been around longer and are better known. As for the ETA movements, well, as far as my understanding goes, it's all about the mods they make to them, not the fact that they are using them. ETA, (ie - Swatch) owns the world outside of the highest end watches, so just being ETA is hardly enough to damn them. Both JS and Ball use them, so pick whichever you like the best....
 

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2008
Messages
6,186
MakingTheGrade|1310158928|2964990 said:
Any suggestions for other watches that also have that old school charm and romance to their look?
I'm not sure. Maybe it would help if you tell us a price range you're looking at?
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193
MTG, what's the price range of the JS? I liked them when ksinger posted them, but it's hard to find what the prices are. I like the look of the JS over the Ball, from the ones you posted. But I've been going pretty conservative when it comes to watches lately.
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
TravelingGal|1310269657|2965812 said:
MTG, what's the price range of the JS? I liked them when ksinger posted them, but it's hard to find what the prices are. I like the look of the JS over the Ball, from the ones you posted. But I've been going pretty conservative when it comes to watches lately.
Back in the day, I inquired. This price is from 2009, but I bet it's still close.

ETA - well, crap. I can't seem to get the thing sized right. The prices range from 1515 - 2500 Euros, depending on options chosen.
Hope it helps a bit. You can email them at JS Watch, and the will send you a current price list.

ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 10 07.56.gif
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
Gotta try again. That pic above is bugging me...

JS_ladies_price.gif
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Thanks for all the help. After some more reading, I think I'm going with the Ball. I like the tubes (I'm a big geek), and my friend has one and loves his, so he talked me into it.

But I appreciate all the input!
 

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 30, 2008
Messages
5,078
MakingTheGrade|1310324359|2965998 said:
Thanks for all the help. After some more reading, I think I'm going with the Ball. I like the tubes (I'm a big geek), and my friend has one and loves his, so he talked me into it.

But I appreciate all the input!
Well, I'm officially jealous then, because Ball watches are VERY cool. Prepare to be noticed across rooms by closeted watch-geeks. You'll know when they keep craning but all they are looking at is your WRIST! ;))
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193
Cool MTG!

Ksinger, man, those JS watches aren't cheap either!!
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Yeah, the JS watches are pretty steep! Especially with current exchange rates. ;(

I should be getting my Ball later this week! I'll try to post some photos since I had a hard time finding any real life photos of that watch while I was shopping. One of the other reasons I went for the ball is that it's slightly smaller, and I'm a rather petite gal, but it was hard for me to really get an ideal of the difference cause it's hard to find images! I get the impression that the Ball line attracts vastly more men than women. Here's hoping I"ll be home when it gets here, I hate missing deliveries!
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Wahoo! My Ball is here! Man, the box is HUGE! Haha...

Anyways, here are the goods. The watch itself feels great on the wrist, please keep in mind I have tiny hands haha, so it makes the watch seem bigger than it is! Apologies in advance for fuzzy photos.

I really like the pink MOP, it's a very delicate pink, you can really only tell it is a faint pink because of the white border.

IMG_9257.JPG

IMG_9259.JPG

IMG_9261.JPG
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
My fav pics yet!
This was one of the major reasons I liked this watch, the display back.

IMG_9276.JPG

IMG_9277.JPG

IMG_9278.JPG

IMG_9280.JPG
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Also, how do you polish scratches out of stainless steel? Is there something I can buy at a local jewelry or department store?
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193
Gorgeous! It's a totally fun watch! It looks great on you...not too big at all.

I'm jealous you got yours so quick. I'm still waiting for mine!
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Thanks TG! Yeah, I really do appreciate the size, lol, I'm not a chunky watch kind of gal....yet. Maybe there is WSS to go with DSS.

Remind me again, what watch are you waiting on?
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Oh that watch is stunning TG!
And it looks great on you, I can't wait to see it when it comes in!

I'm probably just going to wear this watch to everything cause 1. I'm lazy and 2. This is my nicest watch anyways. I don't really know what this would be classified as, maybe a sports watch? I have no clue.
 

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2004
Messages
17,193
MakingTheGrade|1310672453|2969016 said:
Oh that watch is stunning TG!
And it looks great on you, I can't wait to see it when it comes in!

I'm probably just going to wear this watch to everything cause 1. I'm lazy and 2. This is my nicest watch anyways. I don't really know what this would be classified as, maybe a sports watch? I have no clue.
I think it's classic with a twist. Or sporty with class. It's really a cool watch, and maybe can't be pegged in any hole? :appl:
 

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
765
I am BY NO MEANS a watch expert, but I REALLY REALLY want a Ball! Yours is so nice! :)
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Thanks! I'm really loving it. It has a great heft to it while still being super comfy and low profile.

I just ordered a kit from watchbandrenew in anticipation of polishing out scratches cause I'm so OCD. Also, silver lining, I can polish my rings too! Hehe...
 

Bleed Burnt Orange

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 22, 2009
Messages
765
MakingTheGrade|1310682340|2969132 said:
Thanks! I'm really loving it. It has a great heft to it while still being super comfy and low profile.

I just ordered a kit from watchbandrenew in anticipation of polishing out scratches cause I'm so OCD. Also, silver lining, I can polish my rings too! Hehe...
Do you have any pics of it in the dark? :)
 

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
11,385
Not yet, but I will soon!

How often do you think I should get this serviced? I hear a range from "every two years" to "when it starts running more than +/- 20 sec a day" to "when it stops running" lol.
 

smith144

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jul 18, 2011
Messages
4
I'm jealous you got yours so quick. I'm still waiting for mine! I'm jealous you got yours so quick. I'm still waiting for mine!
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top