shape
carat
color
clarity

Warren troubled by speaking fee

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ironic comment because so many feel that the opposite is indeed true - Obama walked on water and Trump is a scumbag.

I am no longer going to telegraph what I am thinking.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
No ouija board needed. It has been made disgustingly apparent based on the name calling and derogatory remarks. But that is the problem for closed minds, only.

It is interesting to see people like Maxine Waters lose all credibility with their rhetoric.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care what President Obama does now that he is a private citizen, but our current Buffoon in Chief and his family seems to sit on his golden throne and go through our money like toilet paper.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I don't care what President Obama does now that he is a private citizen, but our current Buffoon in Chief and his family seems to sit on his golden throne and go through our money like toilet paper.

So was Obama a liar when he was in office, and this is the true him?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I am not talking about Trump. I am not talking about other books. I am referring to Dreams of My Father and the memoir that is currently being ghostwritten.

Sorry, but salty RW commentary is not even close to proof. Re: Dreams, even the author that is referenced says, in his American Thinker article, that none of what he's written is conclusive proof.

Our standards of proof differ.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
The sources we go to may be different, but your articles have no more a higher standard of proof than mine.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ironic comment because so many feel that the opposite is indeed true - Obama walked on water and Trump is a scumbag.

I am not sure now that you even actually read my posts, and you have responded to so many. I don't know why you continue to speak in such gross generalities and assume you know what "so many feel" as if you are looking into our hearts. Are you taking us figuratively or literally?

No ouija board needed. It has been made disgustingly apparent based on the name calling and derogatory remarks. But that is the problem for closed minds, only.

It is interesting to see people like Maxine Waters lose all credibility with their rhetoric.

Okay, wow. I do not believe that I have called anybody, including Trump, any names. I find your comment to be quite off-putting. I hope that you are quite pleased with yourself. You deride others, chide & scold but you make plenty of derogatory comments yourself. You operate under the guise of saying you just want to engage in robust and intelligent discourse, but that is difficult to believe. You want to be able to maintain your viewpoint, but you do not seem to want to allow others the freedom to have and express theirs.

What does Maxine Waters have to do with me?????

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And a ghost writer is exactly what it implies. They do not admit afterwards that they wrote it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Then what did you mean by the above statement?

E B

Ideal_Rock
I disagree re: Dreams, but at least you linked to actual analysis. I'll trust Obama's actual editor over a man who says he can't be sure, but, hey. People differ.

Your proof for his book currently being ghostwritten is snarky, *author-admitted* speculation. Case clearly closed!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I am not sure now that you even actually read my posts, and you have responded to so many. I don't know why you continue to speak in such gross generalities and assume you know what "so many feel" as if you are looking into our hearts. Are you taking us figuratively or literally?

Okay, wow. I do not believe that I have called anybody, including Trump, any names. I find your comment to be quite off-putting. I hope that you are quite pleased with yourself. You deride others, chide & scold but you make plenty of derogatory comments yourself. You operate under the guise of saying you just want to engage in robust and intelligent discourse, but that is difficult to believe. You want to be able to maintain your viewpoint, but you do not seem to want to allow others the freedom to have and express theirs.

What does Maxine Waters have to do with me?????

This was you, as in you all, not you specific. I should have been more clear on that.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I disagree re: Dreams, but at least you linked to actual analysis. I'll trust Obama's actual editor over a man who says he can't be sure, but, hey. People differ.

Your proof for his book currently being ghostwritten is snarky, *author-admitted* speculation. Case clearly closed!
Judge and Jury. Interesting. But the case is hardly closed.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

And with all respect do you not see your own snarkiness in addressing me.

E B

Ideal_Rock

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
As I do with proof that Obama actually wrote these books, especially when he had to have a ghostwriter for his inaugural address.

E B

Ideal_Rock
As I do with proof that Obama actually wrote these books, especially when he had to have a ghostwriter for his inaugural address.

Well, short a video camera recording every stroke of his pen(cil), your best bets would be his wife, his editor, or the man accused of ghostwriting the book. Who cares what those schmucks think, though. The incredibly unbiased 'American Thinker' has the real goods. And by real goods, I mean (again!) more author-admitted speculation. Hey, whatever works for ya.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Well, short a video camera recording every stroke of his pen(cil), your best bets would be his wife, his editor, or the man accused of ghostwriting the book. Who cares what those schmucks think, though. The incredibly unbiased 'American Thinker' has the real goods. And by real goods, I mean (again!) more author-admitted speculation. Hey, whatever works for ya.
And that is your proof he wrote it himself?

Like his wife, editor, or especially his ghostwriter is going to tell you otherwise.

E B

Ideal_Rock
And that is your proof he wrote it himself?

Like his wife, editor, or especially his ghostwriter is going to tell you otherwise.

And yet, the men who admit they're speculating are the ones you're putting your trust in. Because Obama, despite his obvious level of intelligence and many, many accomplishments, is incapable of writing a(nother) book.

Last edited:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess you missed that spectacle known as the Rachael Maddow show where that year Trump paid at a higher rate than Obama. * * *
The Trumps' reported 2005 income (before any adjustments) totaled $152,737,866 (2005 return, lines 7 -20b). But he was able to write off -- right off the top -- a loss of $103,201,242 (line 21), or more than 2/3 of his true reported income in 2005.

The current tax code permits such a gross distortion. But my uncle's NYC company was one of the small businesses who got screwed by Trump;* from my perspective, Trump's write-off came, in part, at the expense of my uncle and others similarly situated. So no, I don't consider his 2005 tax return to be emblematic of a man of fiscal virtue.

* My uncle's company did fare better than many other vendors Trump used because they stopped extending him credit when they became suspicious that he was amassing huge debts in Atlantic City, was in way over his head; consequently, they advised him they would not be manufacturing-delivering any more of the goods ordered unless he paid up-front. Trump was furious, but my uncle's products were unique, especially designed and manufactured for the Trump Taj Mahal, so my uncle held steadfast & Trump capitulated. Still, they never were repaid in full (or close to the amount owed) for the earlier deliveries.

Last edited:

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
And yet, the men who admit they're speculating are the ones you're putting your trust in. Because Obama, despite his obvious level of intelligence and many, many accomplishments, is incapable of writing a(nother) book.

His intelligence? The way he ran the country into the ground that is open to interpretation..

But what does intelligence even have to do with it. The ability to write, to draw, being musically inclined are gifts that have nothing to do with how smart you are.

And as for the first two books, he must have written them because I never heard of them.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
I am a big proponent of the idea that you can like and support a politician without blindly agreeing with everything they do. And to me, this is an example. I don't really get it, I don't particularly like it, and even if the proceeds are going to charity (which they probably will), I don't think the optics are very good.

However- I don't know why people have the impression he was anti- Wall Street. I thought the big complaint y'all have about him is that he only cared about the coastal elite with no concern for middle America? Guess who that coastal elite is mostly made up of? Law, entertainment, tech and finance. I mean, granted his administration tried to put the brakes on some of the more dangerous/egregious practices, but they were never, to my mind, anti- Wall Street.

I will also say, that after eight years of conducting himself impeccably (all the while being falsely attacked by the current president with that birther crap), to stand back now and watch these yahoos swarming through the White House, setting up a kleptocracy and dismantling everything democratic (as in the system, not the party), while they lie and grift and enrich themselves while on the job, if he's looking at them and shrugging and saying, what the ****, why not? I'm not sure that I blame him.

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock
His intelligence? The way he ran the country into the ground that is open to interpretation..

But what does intelligence even have to do with it. The ability to write, to draw, being musically inclined are gifts that have nothing to do with how smart you are.

And as for the first two books, he must have written them because I never heard of them.

I mean, first of all, you do know, Ruby, that basically all presidential speeches are written by a speechwriter, right? Some presidents have more input than others. Anyone who has been there when Obama has spoken extemporaneously, without notes, will tell you that he is very good at it, and, like him or not, to deny his obvious intelligence seems both petty and ridiculous.

I'm also scratching my head on the bolded bit above. There are an awful lot of studies that would seem to correlate musical ability and intelligence. I don't know much about correlations with art, but generally, there is a lot of theory about creativity and intelligence being related. And unless we're talking about handwriting--and subtracting issues having to do with dyslexia or language barriers--the ability to write is surely related to how smart a person is?

As to ghostwriting, most non-writers require some kind of help, and there's a pretty big grey area between 'this person has an idea and can't write it at all, so we need to hire someone to get the words down on paper' and 'this person has done a decent job, but there's a lot of shaping and clarifying still to be done'. The first will be done by someone hired specifically to do that, the second will be done in-house at the publishing company. My guess is that Obama's books have fallen into the second half of that spectrum, but with more editorial input than is needed by a professional writer. I will also add that literary agents vary in how much editorial input they give, but the odds are good that his had an early hand in shaping drafts, which would also be pretty common practice.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for putting it much more eloquently than I have, @jaaron. The second option sounds just as his editor from Dreams has described their process.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care if he makes money speaking. Just own up to the hypocrisy of giving them to Wall Street after the past 8 years of deriding them.

Why is he a hypocrite? he's taking not giving :) we don't know if he will donate his money, he's got a kid going to Harvard soon.. he's got to pay taxes on that... I don't see this as a a = b thing.. maybe he might educate them.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What in the world is he going to say to the "fat cats?"

They invited him to speak on "health care" something those fat cats need to learn I'd say.

Reactions: E B

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:think:..Either him or Carter. A very close race b/t the two...:razz:

First quarter not so good, growth sucked.. still have ObamaCare! so far Trumpty Dumpty has sucked. Where's that danged wall? Obama, a hero! :kiss:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was wondering if any of Trumps supporters were going to acknowledge the US GDP stated economic growth in the first quarter of Trumps presidency was the slowest we have seen in 3 years,

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I was wondering if any of Trumps supporters were going to acknowledge the US GDP stated economic growth in the first quarter of Trumps presidency was the slowest we have seen in 3 years,
Just wait until we get that war going..

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You and I think alike Siamese. That's my greatest fear.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First quarter not so good, growth sucked.. still have ObamaCare! so far Trumpty Dumpty has sucked. Where's that danged wall? Obama, a hero! :kiss:
Speaking of growth..:think: Obama is the only post WWII Prez. who didn't witness a 3% growth during his 8 yr as president...Yup, Obama is a big hero!:clap:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results