shape
carat
color
clarity

Warm OEC

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hallo! I'm trying to find a MM diamond in the 5.5mm range, N-O-P color, or warmer. Ideally, I'd love an AVR cut, but I'm not sure if that's available. Any info or suggestions on how to find a stone like this would be hugely welcome!

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Distinctive Gem? They seem to have them in higher colours, maybe they could access lower ones too?

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
Lower Color Lab Diamonds have a very different look to Lower Color Mined Diamonds. Do you want to match this diamond with mined diamonds? Besides recutting a MRB Lab diamond or going to Distinctive Gem there aren't any OEC lab diamonds readily available.

If you want to dip ur toes into the lab diamond world I would go with a colorless diamond - or have a great return window (:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I would wait if you can. I am not impressed with what I have seen so far with lab cut OECs. I believe with time and experience they will get better and that is why I would wait.

But you should reach out to Alex on IG. Parkfinegroups. He has a great eye and he has lab OECs so maybe he can find you a beautiful one.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I would wait if you can. I am not impressed with what I have seen so far with lab cut OECs. I believe with time and experience they will get better and that is why I would wait.

But you should reach out to Alex on IG. Parkfinegroups. He has a great eye and he has lab OECs so maybe he can find you a beautiful one.

@missy - I appreciate your advice and will take it.

I have one piercing in one ear and 2 in the other. Every day I wear a pair of earings (almost always hoops or pearls), then put a small diamond stud in the outer piercing. The diamond stud I normally use is F color, and that's fine. But, given my micro-managing, OCD self, wearing a very white stud when I wear my very warm emerald cut 3 stone ring really clashes to my eye, so I actually wear that gorgeous ring less than I want to, because I don't have a matching tiny stud for the outer piercing in my EAR! It's ridiculous not to wear that ring for such a small reason, but I know I'm not going to change. Ergo - I need something of a warm color for a stud for that piercing.

MM is not my first choice and I would DEFINITELY prefer a mined diamond, but I'm not having any success there, either. I haven't reached out to Alex yet, but I can see that will be my next port of call. I looked at OWDs inventory, but I really don't want to pay a thousand dollars for a tiny, very warm diamond, without ideal specs. Amy at DKJ was able to find me something nice, but it's only a K, and I'm afraid will be too white, and is a tad small.

Failing all else, I'll get a round brilliant from JA; I have my eye on an M colored one that I think will cut the mustard.

Honestly, it would be easier just to let the hole grow over!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have one piercing in one ear and 2 in the other. Every day I wear a pair of earings (almost always hoops or pearls), then put a small diamond stud in the outer piercing. The diamond stud I normally use is F color, and that's fine. But, given my micro-managing, OCD self, wearing a very white stud when I wear my very warm emerald cut 3 stone ring really clashes to my eye, so I actually wear that gorgeous ring less than I want to, because I don't have a matching tiny stud for the outer piercing in my EAR! It's ridiculous not to wear that ring for such a small reason, but I know I'm not going to change. Ergo - I need something of a warm color for a stud for that piercing.

MM is not my first choice and I would DEFINITELY prefer a mined diamond, but I'm not having any success there, either. I haven't reached out to Alex yet, but I can see that will be my next port of call. I looked at OWDs inventory, but I really don't want to pay a thousand dollars for a tiny, very warm diamond, without ideal specs. Amy at DKJ was able to find me something nice, but it's only a K, and I'm afraid will be too white, and is a tad small.

Failing all else, I'll get a round brilliant from JA; I have my eye on an M colored one that I think will cut the mustard.

I would also reach out to Adam personally and ask him what he might have in inventory that is not listed on his site. He has lots of diamonds not listed.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hallo! I'm trying to find a MM diamond in the 5.5mm range, N-O-P color, or warmer. Ideally, I'd love an AVR cut, but I'm not sure if that's available. Any info or suggestions on how to find a stone like this would be hugely welcome!

@mrs-b Sorry for hijacking the thread but the three stone ring in your avatar is stunning! Do you mind if i as what the size the center and sides are? The proportions are perfection to me!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b Sorry for hijacking the thread but the three stone ring in your avatar is stunning! Do you mind if i as what the size the center and sides are? The proportions are perfection to me!

Hi @Lisag103 .. :wavey:

It's a 3.05 F VS2 ACA
The first side is a .95 F VS2 Signature cut by Blue Nile - probably the best performing diamond I've ever owned.
The second side is a .96ct F VS2 Ascendancy cut by Good Old Gold.

The setting is by David Klass Jewelry. I designed it, but you're welcome to copy it. It's been reproduced dozens of times at this point, and looks wonderful in every single iteration I've seen.

It's my 40th wedding anniversary in 3 1/2 years, at which point I intend to upgrade the center stone to a 3.5ct F VS1 - hopefully! We'll see. .. :))

its not a warm OEC @mrs-b, but how do you think about either a yellow sapphire stud in YG, or a plain YG ball stud?

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Lisag103 .. :wavey:

It's a 3.05 F VS2 ACA
The first side is a .95 F VS2 Signature cut by Blue Nile - probably the best performing diamond I've ever owned.
The second side is a .96ct F VS2 Ascendancy cut by Good Old Gold.

The setting is by David Klass Jewelry. I designed it, but you're welcome to copy it. It's been reproduced dozens of times at this point, and looks wonderful in every single iteration I've seen.

It's my 40th wedding anniversary in 3 1/2 years, at which point I intend to upgrade the center stone to a 3.5ct F VS1 - hopefully! We'll see. .. :))

Thank you it is stunning! I was just looking over the thread you posted when you got it, did you start out with .625 and upgrade? Its my 20th anniversary in 3 1/2 years so you are a bit ahead of me ha ha!

I upgraded my wedding set for my 15th wedding anniversary 2 years ago and after a few deviations ended up with an oval halo. My original ring was a classic three stone and as much as I do like the oval halo right now I do miss the width you get across the finger with a three stone so was thinking of going back to that for my 20th anniversary!

I would love to use the diamonds from my original engagement ring which are .45 cts (i think they are between 4.5mm & 5 mm) as the side stones but not sure what size center!

How do you work out the proportions? Your center is 3 ct with 1 ct sides (approx) so the center is three times the sides, with mine id need a 1.2 center to have similar proportions (albeit a smaller version!) Is that how it works?

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you are struggling to find a nice warm OEC what about one of the smaller lightbox studs in blue or pink? In a small size I don’t think the color would be noticeable and it wouldn’t look too white to go with your ring.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
its not a warm OEC @mrs-b, but how do you think about either a yellow sapphire stud in YG, or a plain YG ball stud?

I hadn't considered a yellow sapphire, tho it's a good suggestion. I did think about the gold stud, but I always get so much out of the sparkle of a well cut diamond stud, I'm loath to go a different route. I'm going to stay with a mined diamond for now and see what I can find.

Someone was selling yellow gold diamonds a while back, but I can't find who anymore. They might also have been too small.

Last edited:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you it is stunning! I was just looking over the thread you posted when you got it, did you start out with .625 and upgrade? Its my 20th anniversary in 3 1/2 years so you are a bit ahead of me ha ha!

I upgraded my wedding set for my 15th wedding anniversary 2 years ago and after a few deviations ended up with an oval halo. My original ring was a classic three stone and as much as I do like the oval halo right now I do miss the width you get across the finger with a three stone so was thinking of going back to that for my 20th anniversary!

I would love to use the diamonds from my original engagement ring which are .45 cts (i think they are between 4.5mm & 5 mm) as the side stones but not sure what size center!

How do you work out the proportions? Your center is 3 ct with 1 ct sides (approx) so the center is three times the sides, with mine id need a 1.2 center to have similar proportions (albeit a smaller version!) Is that how it works?

@Lisag103 - what size was your original center stone? Do you still have it? If not what size would you like?

To get exactly the same proportions as mine, you'd need a 1.45ct center stone - tho cut plays a role, of course. Alternately, have you considered a colored center stone? What is your husband's birth stone?

The stones I was originally planning to use were .51ct each. I decided they were too small, and shifted to 2 x .62ct. I had these for a while, but ultimately decided I wanted better quality (the .62s were G VS2), so went to 2 x .61 F VS1. In the end, I upgraded in size and went to the .95 and the .96. So now all three stones are F VS2. As I said, I plan to upgrade the center stone at some point, but want to make sure I do it 'right' and the difference is noticeable, so that means 3.5ct at least, tho I don't want to go larger than about 3.75ct / 10mm. This will be a substantial outlay at that size (I'm working on the basis of 25k), so I need considerable run-up time to save up! So my 40th anniversary should be juuuuust right - tho we'll wait to see if this happens. I suffer from jewelry guilt about the pieces I own, and I've sold a bunch of them over the years. My husband won't let me sell this one, tho, nor my 4ct EC, as they were both meaningful, landmark pieces he bought me for specific occasions, and they represent memories. So those are forever pieces.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Lower Color Lab Diamonds have a very different look to Lower Color Mined Diamonds. Do you want to match this diamond with mined diamonds? Besides recutting a MRB Lab diamond or going to Distinctive Gem there aren't any OEC lab diamonds readily available.

If you want to dip ur toes into the lab diamond world I would go with a colorless diamond - or have a great return window (:

Hi! I didn‘t know this. Why is this and how do they differ? New to the subject...

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
There are two techniques to grow man made diamonds.

HPHT (diamond is grown in one go with high pressure and temperature) these diamonds can have a slight blue tinge sometimes in lower colors (lower that E). The cert doesn’t always state the blue tinge. So to be sure you would have to examine it with your own eyes or stick to a D color the. The blue tinge comes from boron traces.

CVD (diamond is grown in layers, like paint layers on top of each other) diamonds are mostly brown in colors lower than G. But even some Fs can have an ugly tint.

All (but one) lower lab diamonds I have come across haven’t had desirable colors (brown and steely grey). Distinctive gem had a beautiful L color man made diamond that had a brown pink tinge. But it’s like looking for a needle in the haystack.

So while mined diamond usually have a yellow tint the lower the color is. Man made diamonds have a blue tint or undesirable brown isch or grayish tint. But as with any diamond one has to examine it with their own eyes (:

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
@Lisag103 - what size was your original center stone? Do you still have it? If not what size would you like?

To get exactly the same proportions as mine, you'd need a 1.45ct center stone - tho cut plays a role, of course. Alternately, have you considered a colored center stone? What is your husband's birth stone?

The stones I was originally planning to use were .51ct each. I decided they were too small, and shifted to 2 x .62ct. I had these for a while, but ultimately decided I wanted better quality (the .62s were G VS2), so went to 2 x .61 F VS1. In the end, I upgraded in size and went to the .95 and the .96. So now all three stones are F VS2. As I said, I plan to upgrade the center stone at some point, but want to make sure I do it 'right' and the difference is noticeable, so that means 3.5ct at least, tho I don't want to go larger than about 3.75ct / 10mm. This will be a substantial outlay at that size (I'm working on the basis of 25k), so I need considerable run-up time to save up! So my 40th anniversary should be juuuuust right - tho we'll wait to see if this happens. I suffer from jewelry guilt about the pieces I own, and I've sold a bunch of them over the years. My husband won't let me sell this one, tho, nor my 4ct EC, as they were both meaningful, landmark pieces he bought me for specific occasions, and they represent memories. So those are forever pieces.

mrs-b, my original engagement ring had three .4ish diamonds so they were all the same size. I used the three diamonds in other pieces so I did a pendent with one and then actually did a three stone with the other two and a 2.6 London blue topaz center, center is about 9x7 I think. I love the topaz but don’t love the oval shape with the round sides.

641D8B39-DAF4-49A9-BFE5-C55BFA7AAC19.jpeg

My thought was to use these sides with a larger round as my engagement ring. I do also have a .8 but I think this would be too small with the sides. For the center I was thinking the larger the better ha ha but I want the proportions to work so I think 1.5-2 carats could be good. What do you think?

I hear you on the bling guilt! I ‘wasted’ a lot of money on my original upgrade by chopping and changing and not being sure of what I wanted (I reset the new ring three times before deciding to move it to right hand and go in a different direction altogether!) so like you I want to do it right and not rush into anything just yet.

Here is my upgrade set for reference.
5D08950F-B601-4C49-99F0-4FD424AC14A7.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs-b, my original engagement ring had three .4ish diamonds so they were all the same size. I used the three diamonds in other pieces so I did a pendent with one and then actually did a three stone with the other two and a 2.6 London blue topaz center, center is about 9x7 I think. I love the topaz but don’t love the oval shape with the round sides.

641D8B39-DAF4-49A9-BFE5-C55BFA7AAC19.jpeg

My thought was to use these sides with a larger round as my engagement ring. I do also have a .8 but I think this would be too small with the sides. For the center I was thinking the larger the better ha ha but I want the proportions to work so I think 1.5-2 carats could be good. What do you think?

I hear you on the bling guilt! I ‘wasted’ a lot of money on my original upgrade by chopping and changing and not being sure of what I wanted (I reset the new ring three times before deciding to move it to right hand and go in a different direction altogether!) so like you I want to do it right and not rush into anything just yet.

Here is my upgrade set for reference.
5D08950F-B601-4C49-99F0-4FD424AC14A7.jpeg

Hi @Lisag103 -

Firstly - I love your upgrade!

Secondly, Tiffany uses a 1:2:1 ratio on their three stone rings, so if you have 2 x .4 and a .8, you'd be mimicking their regular proportions, so you'd be in excellent company!

I agree with you, smaller sides. I think a 1.8ct stone in the middle of your 2 x .45s would be ideal and very elegant.

But - honestly? I love your upgrade!!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are two techniques to grow man made diamonds.

HPHT (diamond is grown in one go with high pressure and temperature) these diamonds can have a slight blue tinge sometimes in lower colors (lower that E). The cert doesn’t always state the blue tinge. So to be sure you would have to examine it with your own eyes or stick to a D color the. The blue tinge comes from boron traces.

CVD (diamond is grown in layers, like paint layers on top of each other) diamonds are mostly brown in colors lower than G. But even some Fs can have an ugly tint.

All (but one) lower lab diamonds I have come across haven’t had desirable colors (brown and steely grey). Distinctive gem had a beautiful L color man made diamond that had a brown pink tinge. But it’s like looking for a needle in the haystack.

So while mined diamond usually have a yellow tint the lower the color is. Man made diamonds have a blue tint or undesirable brown isch or grayish tint. But as with any diamond one has to examine it with their own eyes (:

One of the most useful posts I've ever read. Thank you, @Lessics!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Lisag103 -

Firstly - I love your upgrade!

Secondly, Tiffany uses a 1:2:1 ratio on their three stone rings, so if you have 2 x .4 and a .8, you'd be mimicking their regular proportions, so you'd be in excellent company!

I agree with you, smaller sides. I think a 1.8ct stone in the middle of your 2 x .45s would be ideal and very elegant.

But - honestly? I love your upgrade!!

Thanks @mrs-b

Thank you! I do love the upgrade and am very happy with it, it’s nice to have a change of look but I do still feel the pull of a three stone! That’s why I’m thinking, enjoy the oval halo for the next couple of years and then look at a three stone for our 20th anniversary!

I think a three stone with the .8 would be fab but I want something a bit more substantial so 1.8 sounds better! And look if plans change I still have a beautiful upgrade and a three stone for my right hand so it win win either way! (That said Just in case I have pinned your ring for future references! Ha ha Hope you don’t mind!)

xxxxxx

Brilliant_Rock
One of the most useful posts I've ever read. Thank you, @Lessics!

I must add there are beautiful man made diamonds out there! It’s really depends on the grower. Some just want to crank out cheap diamonds to make money fast (that’s how the tint in lots of mmd occur - sloppy growing, growing with unsteady electricity so the growing process is halted and then started again) etc.).

Then there are others growers who really pride themselves to make diamonds of “first water”. They take a lot of time and “better ingredients” to grow their diamonds - which shows in the end result.

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
I have a gorgeous lab OEC from Jonathan at distinctive gem and I cannot recommend him enough. Although he’s been impossible to contact regarding our wedding bands we want to have made (not sure why), he was exceptional when designing our ring. The diamond was custom grown, and there’s no tint, no striations... it is just perfect. He did mention in the future they will have low color lab diamonds. I am sure they’re perfecting the process before they try to sell low color ones. It’s on my wish list when they make them! I would love a low color

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a gorgeous lab OEC from Jonathan at distinctive gem and I cannot recommend him enough. Although he’s been impossible to contact regarding our wedding bands we want to have made (not sure why), he was exceptional when designing our ring. The diamond was custom grown, and there’s no tint, no striations... it is just perfect. He did mention in the future they will have low color lab diamonds. I am sure they’re perfecting the process before they try to sell low color ones. It’s on my wish list when they make them! I would love a low color

Hi Sparklythings12. I have a question about lower colors in lab diamonds. What is considered a "lower" color. I have no experience with lab diamonds so I only have mined diamond color as a reference. Would a K be considered a VERY low color? I do know that somehow lab and mined diamond color are not equivalent, or am I wrong? Thanks!

sparklythings12

Rough_Rock
Hi Sparklythings12. I have a question about lower colors in lab diamonds. What is considered a "lower" color. I have no experience with lab diamonds so I only have mined diamond color as a reference. Would a K be considered a VERY low color? I do know that somehow lab and mined diamond color are not equivalent, or am I wrong? Thanks!

Oh I have no idea. To me, low low is like... M or lower. I would also love a vanilla K... I think the reference may be the same color grade as mined. Who knows. They’re al beautiful to me and I would like one for every letter in my name. Haha!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results