shape
carat
color
clarity

Want to design an e-ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, so my boyfriend told me last night, after going e-ring shopping, that he really loves the thought of going with a colored center stone for my engagement ring. We hadn''t really considered this before, but it got me thinking of the possibilities. If going with a colored stone, I''d prefer blue -- light-medium shade --NOT dark. I still want diamonds incorporated somehow, whether it''s 2 smaller diamonds on either side of a blue stone, or having a halo around the stone -- like the Ritani-style halo look. I''d thought I''d enlist the help of fellow PSers.

1. How safe/durable is having a colored gemstone as an engagement ring, something I''ll wear every day with my wedding band? I''m an elementary teacher, so I use my hands but I''m careful when wearing rings. I let my kids at school do the messy work -- I just supervise!
9.gif

2. Are particular stones recommended over others -- stones like blue diamonds, aquamarines, blue topaz, sapphires, and any others I haven''t listed?
3. How much of a price difference is there between these stones? How do they compare to a more traditional 3 stone diamond ring?

Here''s what I like: 1 carat center stone (could be anywhere from .75 and up I suppose, depending on the look), side stones that are smaller, pave and or engraving, the e-ring to sit flush (or as close as possible) to the WB, white gold or platinum.

Here''s what I don''t want: a dark colored stone, a wide band -- my ring size is 4.75.

I tried to be as specific as possible. Now, who wants to help me design a ring?
21.gif
1.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like a great idea! I'd probably go with a sapphire, since its the hardest, making it best for everyday wear. Aquas are a 7.5, blue topaz an 8, and sapphires a 9. I have an antique aqua ring, and though I love the color, the stone is very chipped and scratched from being worn over time. Keep in mind, though, that sapphires will face-up smaller than diamonds of the same carat weight...so if your aiming for a stone about the size of a 1 carat diamond, you'll need to find a sapphire that is over 1 carat.

Couple other questions that would probably be able to help: What shape center stone do you want? Any idea of budget?

ETA, just had to show you this ring, 'cause its making my heart jump: http://thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandjwelery.aspx?jwelery=J374

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a pretty three stone from Natural Sapphire Company. They''ve got lots of rings already set that would fit the bill.

J443_1.jpg
Three Stone

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
B2148_1.jpg
Here is a beautiful stone; 1.22 carats at a great price!

You can then choose a setting you''d like for it. If you choose this setting:
JS41B_1.JPG

Total Cost
Cost of the Sapphire : $1830.00
Cost of the Mounting : $1064.86
Total Cost : $2894.86

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey Zoe ... just remember ... carat weight of sapphires isn''t the same face up look of the carat weight of diamonds. So -- to get the 1ct diamond size look, you may need to get a higher weight sapphire ...

I love that first 2ct cushion sapphire ring -- set east west ... YUM

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sapphire is always good choice.

topaz of the blue sort is treated.

aquamarine can be totally stunning. it doesn't always come in those cheapo light colors with windows.
40.gif
affordable to boot.

diamond, too expensive.

also definitely check out spinel.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
pretty much any color stone isn''t meant for 24/7 wear as an e-ring. i take my spess e-ring off at home but it goes on just before i leave the door whether or not i''m going to the garden center or the theatre.

having said that i think sapphire will take the daily brunt....and depending on how it is set it could be very well protected. there are lighter color sapphires that are stunning....montana sapphires come tomind. color stones are not calibrated so each one will be different even if the same carat weight. one may be deep and show small face up but be the same carat weight as a on that is shallow cut and large face up. this can effect your design. color stones and diamonds are cleaned differently: color stone cleaning is best left to a very soft brush and mild liquid soap and rinsed well. diamonds can take a lot more re cleaning. just mentioning this because if you''re going to mix color and diamonds it would be wise to research the recommended cleaning method for both stones before setting them together.

btw, a good sapphire can cost as much or more than a diamond......you are not settling less by getting a good quality color stone. you may actually be getting more!

movie zombie

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 1:00:13 PM
Author: Upgradable
B2148_1.jpg
Here is a beautiful stone; 1.22 carats at a great price!

You can then choose a setting you''d like for it. If you choose this setting:
JS41B_1.JPG

Total Cost
Cost of the Sapphire : $1830.00
Cost of the Mounting : $1064.86
Total Cost : $2894.86

Upgradable: Two thumbs up from my boyfriend and me! This is one setting we love. Thanks! Zoe

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/28/2007 1:21:41 PM
Author: EBree
Ooh, that sapphire IS pretty, Upgradable!

Here''s another setting you might like, zoe:

Bonita by Knox Jewelers ($1090)

ETA: Here''s another pretty one with a thin, thin diamond band:

Pave Petite by Knox Jewelers ($590!)

Hi EBree! You ROCK (no pun intended...
9.gif
)! I think this setting is gorgeous as well. Thanks so much for your help! I showed it to my boyfriend and he was all smiles. It has everything we''ve been considering in a setting.

Zoe

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! You''ve all been so helpful! Thank you SO MUCH! I have a sapphire ring that I received as a gift from my parents a few years ago, and I love it, but I never knew much about them (sapphires, that is. I know plenty about my parents!
9.gif
. I definitely didn''t know how many colors sapphires come in. I perused the Natural Sapphire Company''s site and was excited to see the colors my boyfriend and I love. We LOVE LOVE LOVE the violet, lavender, and periwinkle shades. Even within the violet category, they all look so unique.

Thanks so much for the tips! I hadn''t thought of the cleaning differences between diamonds and sapphires. We''ll definitely keep that in mind. We''ll also keep in mind FacetFire''s, Deco''s, and Movie Zombie''s tip about going over 1 ct. to get the look we want. That''s somthing we didn''t know.

I should have mentioned that we''re looking for a round gem. My boyfriend loves emerald cuts and we''ve looked at princess cuts as well, but I have short fingers and small hands, so we''ve been leaning towards rounds. I thought the squared look didn''t look quite as flattering.

We just got back from shopping and we''ve decided against blue topaz. It doesn''t have the color we''re going for. The aquamarines we saw were really pretty, but the sapphires I mentioned above spoke to me more than the aquas.

I know I''m rambling at this point but I''m very excited about all of this, and I thought it''s the perfect place to do it, so why not? I''ll do a quick search on spinels tonight but I''m not very familiar with them. Can you tell me more about them, and how they''re different than sapphires? Would they be suitable for en e-ring, again, something I''ll wear most of the time (yes, while being very careful)?

If anyone has good photoshop skills, is it possible (and allowed??) to see what one of the sapphires would look like in Ebree''s "Bonita" recommendation, or in Upgradable''s haloed setting?

Okay, enough for now. Thanks again. I''ll keep searching. I''m still open to ideas and suggestions!
1.gif
21.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
35.gif
I''m so glad we can provide a venue for your excitement! We live to seduce people over to the sparkly side!!

Spinels are beautiful, and they come in virtually all colors of the rainbow. They are usually a very high clarity and make a very pretty set stone. They have a hardness of 8 on the Moh''s scale (sapphire/ruby are 9, diamonds 10), so they are appropriate for a ring but will show much more wear than a sapphire or diamond. They are probably rarer than sapphires (at least in the consumer marketplace) and are respected by collectors. But since they are lesser known you may be able to get a really good price per carat.

I''m sorry I don''t have the photoshop skills to help with "planting" the stones into the settings. But my best suggestion is to look at as many colored stones as you can to see what appeals to your eye. Buying these stones is a much more personal thing than buying diamonds (IMO) because the beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Good luck, and if you hang around here long enough you''ll get all the help you need, except a 12 step program for sparkly addicts!
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I think sapphires are the best for everyday wear. And the lavendar/violet shades are even more reasonably priced than the blues, so you''d save some money if you went in that direction. I love all colors of sapphires, but I think the lavendars are especially pretty!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you might be very much in love with montana sapphires....they sparkle and are not overly dark. more light blue and certainly an alternative to the regular dark blue sapphire and yet harder on the moh than an aqual. re spinel: a really good spinel like a good sapphire is going to cost $$$$$. but this is your e-ring! just because its color doesn''t mean you shouldn''t be getting the very very best. you wouldn''t scrimp on a diamond, you''d get the best you can afford....the same is true of color stones. no one wants to be taken for a sucker and pay more than the stone is worth but let me tell you that the difference between a class color stone and a commercial anyone can afford it color stone is nothing short of phenomenal. ok, i''m a color stone snob....but this difference is discernable.

movie zombie

E B

Ideal_Rock
Zoe,

I haven''t learned photoshop yet so I can''t be of much help, but here''s a general idea of what a sapphire would look like in a 3-stone, pave ring. It''s an oval, but imagine it as a round (and lighter, if you want a lighter blue).

(Picture from Knox Jewelers)

sapphire3stone.jpg

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Another couple of things to remember:

Rounds are not that common in coloured stones - you''ll get more to choose from if you look at ovals and cushions as well.

Do be too caught up on ct weight. Size is much more important - and watch out that the cut is as good as you can get. You don''t want to end up paying for a lot of weight in the pavillion that adds nothing to the colour, or look of the stone.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, i agree: consider an oval! if you''re going to do a halo, it would be more unique than a round. and as mentioned it opens more doors re quality stones....and get a great cut stone. don''t be afraid of lots of weight in the pavillion as long as the stone appears to be balanced and especially if it adds color. if you''re using a setting which will not totally enclose the pavillion and allow it to be seen it might be more interesting.

always get dimensions of the stone as well as carat weight so you''ll have a better idea of what you''re dealing with. and see as many of the stones as you possible can. and with color $$ really does buy you a difference in quality that you can see with your eye. cut and color are of utmost importance and since this is to be your e-ring, don''t scrimp. also, don''t be afraid to have a custom made mounting for your stone. its easier than trying to find a stone to fit an existing mounting.

movie zombie

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gosh that''s pretty!!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
You guys are great! Seriously...you''ve been such a help. I have so many ideas running through my mind now. I''m not sure what my boyfriend''s budget is, and although he''s willing to have me play as big a part in the design of a ring as I would like
9.gif
36.gif
, I know he wants me to be clueless as to how much he''s spending. If I had to guess at his budget though, I would say $2,000-$4,000. I''m not sure though, so it''s hard to pick sizes of the stones, etc.

We''ve been looking everywhere (mostly B&Ms), and today I called WF to ask about how the process works and I spoke to Tracy. She was really nice; we chatted for a while and I gave her info. about what we''ve been looking at (3 stone or halo, etc.). I''m pretty sure we''ll go with WF, and I''m excited about that.

I''ll let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results