shape
carat
color
clarity

Walked into Costco to change my membership card...

theresastephanie

Rough_Rock
I saw this 1.69 ct central stone intense yellow diamond ring and liked it. I compared it with the one I have - need to send it to GIA but it will probably be appraised as intense, I assume. But it is antique hence the cutting is not as brilliant. Anyhow, I liked the oval, it is VS1, I think elongated rings look good on me. I bought it. What do you think? Costco stuff is returnable

ETA the oval is the new one.
The second picture is when I put my antique next to it to compare and we closed them from the bright light. The lowest one inside my car. 5ED2F1D5-44DE-44B5-96FC-62AE12DE7268.jpeg

I never knew Costco sold antique rings? Do you mean that the oval yellow ring is an antique? Which Costco did it come from please?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I never knew Costco sold antique rings? Do you mean that the oval yellow ring is an antique? Which Costco did it come from please?

No antiques. And I believe all Costcos sell good diamonds before Christmas. Definitely in WA, as we have the headquarters here )))

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
The yellow oval pops more outside. Damn... that spinel!

This could not be worded any better.

The lovely yellow oval does not disappoint its new owner in any lighting. It merits serious consideration.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Arkteia, are you enjoying your new ring?

Good question...

In the US, yes. As there is more sun here (yes, even in Seattle). And the lamps are different.

But I went to Moscow, to visit dad. And in the northern light, with some snow, and old-type chandeliers, definitely, not. I expected it to be the opposite case. But...no.

Granted, I haven’t seen enough FYD. Probably. I think only vivid will be my color, or else, GIA is too liberal in assigning colors to FCD. But, sadly, no.

You know where I enjoyed all my stones equally?

On the plane, in the restroom... don’t laugh! Seriously, I don’t know what lights they use, bluish and maybe some fluorescence in them? Not much, though...This is what dragged out all colors,i’d like to know what these lights are. Gorgeous. But not the place to wear stones in, for sure. )))

ETA: my other ring, antique, has a nice yellow in it, with strong fluorescence, but the cut is old, and I don’t want to recut it either.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could be the Lumens of the lights. commercial bulbs are so bomb. I want Home Depot lights in my house....would make everything else look awful, but my jewelry would be banging....

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
Hope you dad is doing ok and you had a good trip. Appreciate the detailed analysis.

I won’t want to recut your antique FYD...leave it and it’s a lovely setting. Others pay thousands to replicate such style.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
...On the plane, in the restroom.....

I hear you. I fly economy so that bathroom ain't a place where I wanted to hangout...KWIM:lol: I also don't travel with rocks either.
BTW, do you like Georgian food? Did you have some in Moscow? I enjoyed the espresso drinks at ABC Coffee Roasters. Sorry to hackjack your thread.

@Arcadian, Target lights are great too!

@Vogue, I have bookmarked your pear for a long time, please show us more of your ring on other thread when you're free!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hear you. I fly economy so that bathroom ain't a place where I wanted to hangout...KWIM:lol: I also don't travel with rocks either.
BTW, do you like Georgian food? Did you have some in Moscow? I enjoyed the espresso drinks at ABC Coffee Roasters. Sorry to hackjack your thread.

@Arcadian, Target lights are great too!

@Vogue, I have bookmarked your pear for a long time, please show us more of your ring on other thread when you're free!

I love most food, except the dishes that are tomato - based.

In general, the best “ethnic” food is in the country of origin (Korean food in Korea is 100 x better than here; but for some reason, French food in Korea was 10x better than in France, so maybe I am wrong?), but expensive restaurants in Moscow serve excellent + food. Especially Japanese ones. And of course, Georgian food is not a problem, ever, since historically, there were great Georgian restaurants in Moscow, for decades, and still are.

They are as good as in Georgia, one thing they may be missing are ethnic Georgian singers. Have you ever heard male Georgian choirs? Many voices. Traditional. This is something else. So in Georgia, there are professional singers in restaurants, and the customers sing, too. I haven’t heard it in Moscow.

ETA: the style is called polyphonic singing. The other country I heard it in was Greece, but in Greece I had to go to a male monastery in Nafplion to listen to it, The Georgians sing virtually everywhere.

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hope you dad is doing ok and you had a good trip. Appreciate the detailed analysis.

I won’t want to recut your antique FYD...leave it and it’s a lovely setting. Others pay thousands to replicate such style.

The color of my new one is better again as I am back but I should probably look for something more vivid. I am too old to talk myself into loving a stone.

Re.antique. I did not formulate it right. The new one is way more brilliant than my antique stone. But I would never recut anything antique as I love antique style.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aww, thank you! Here's a thread I posted nearly 3 years ago (time flies). The cell phone pictures aren't exactly the best, but here you go: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-vivid-yellow-pear-meet-marilyn.229347/

There are updated pics throughout the thread. Yellow diamonds for life!

Great color! I really love your ring.

My fingers are 9.5 so even 1ct is small on my finger. (Herein lies the problem. I tried to bypass it by going a notch down in color, but it doesn’t work, either).

Hopefully I shall find something eventually.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great color! I really love your ring.

My fingers are 9.5 so even 1ct is small on my finger. (Herein lies the problem. I tried to bypass it by going a notch down in color, but it doesn’t work, either).

Hopefully I shall find something eventually.

HIjack--next time you go to Russia, call me....I'd love to go with you!

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@Arkteia

I will keep your tips on eating French food in Korea and Japanese in Moscow in mind. I am bad for keep hijacking your thread but couldn’t resist!

I am no expert but did enjoy my culinary experience very much while visiting the major cities in Russia. When we were on our own, we tended to dine at casual places. Eating at Suliko in St. Petersburg got me hooked on Georgian cuisine. Vai Me! In Moscow wasn’t as great but it is convenient and opens late. Tarkhun tastes less herby than expected.

The silly thing was, we ate at Danilovsky Market twice because of Valiko and Bổ. That bowl of pho was intoxicating and cost less than their mango juice. I enjoyed eating cakes in both cities VERY much too.

I was very tempted eating at Wine & Crab but seeing such posh location, I decided to pass it. I wish we had more time to try other food there, such as Siberian cuisine. I could go on and on but will shut up now.

p.s. Lining the bottom of the water fountains with fresh whole watermelons and hami melons inside GUM was such a clever and fun design.

BTW, I am guessing that your spinel looks fabulous anywhere in the world? ;)2

Last edited:

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is the continuation of the story.

Not so easy to return. I am on the phone with the warehouse and the returns are not easy. Definitely not as easy as they promise.

First - why return.../ I walked out of my house in a bad weather, looked at my hand and the diamond looked like a piece of soap. (The GIA evaluation document says it does not fluoresce, and it does not seem to, but it seems that it still performs well in fluorescent lights?). So, Costco says that jewelry returns are peaches, right?

Not so easy easy. The website says that the money is not reimbursed instantaneously, it is up to 3 days for their expert to look at it, but IRL, no such luck. It is 6-8 weeks, they say.

No one has called me from Costco, as was promised, and I am on the phone with the customer service, listening to some nasty advertisement. No one knows where the heck the item is, luckily, I do have the receipt and the Jewelry Credit Memo.

Not happy with return service, as maybe you can return it in a larger window time (not sure though - mine was within the same month), but definitely you will not get rapid refund.

I shall keep you posted. Not happy today (((

ETA: First, they could not find the copy of my memo. I said, you should have the cameras to look into and see me returning it (cause who knows with the Costco workers, too, right?). She said it was probably in the office, that someone would call me back...

I am going to post every day to tell you how smooth the return is. So far - NOT HAPPY, and in contrast to jewelers that depend on reviews, a big corporation depends on nothing.

Last edited:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I am sorry for your trouble. Dreadful customer service. I hope your issues are resolved very soon.

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results