shape
carat
color
clarity

W-Rings for Guys; Guidance Needed

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Firstly, I''d like to thank all of the fantastic PS-ers for the valuable input, educated opinion, humor, and assistance provided to those of us deemed novices. This forum has proven to be the absolute best resource out there. Kudos to you all! (special note to Nicrez: Love, love, love that radiant! If I''m lucky, mine will be similarly gorgeous! *fingers crossed*)

Secondly: Tonight''s question addresses the "non-bling", if you will. I want to design/procure a ring for my guy that''s unique, un-fussy and, for lack of a better word, "cool". I''m thinking of something that''s brushed or acid-etched (I realize there''s a difference), in either platinum or 18K wg, with absolutely zero polish or shine. The ring needs to be narrow (he''s actually partial to those between 4 and 6 mm), and w/out milgraining, engraving, etc. In addition, I would like to hide a teeny-tiny diamond on the interior of the band as a surprise for my guy (because I''m a sparkly girl and I want to rebel - just a little!). Is a 4-6 mm band too small for an inside diamond, or can I get away with it? Any ideas about whom I should contact to inquire about stock or custom?

Any and all comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks in advance!
1.gif

-J

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
http://krikawa.com/ Krikawa has some very unique bands in varying sizes. A couple people on here have bought from them and liked them. I think 4 - 6 mm is fine to hide a small diamond, but I'm not sure which retailer to go through for that. I bet krikawa would be able to do it if you asked though. Good luck! If you don't like the bands, or if it's not what you are looking for maybe there is something else I can think of. DH and I went through quite a few sites before settling on a ring.

*M*

ETA: I was browsing the site and these are the in stock rings, just as an idea... but they have put a little diamond on the outside of some of these, so they could most definitely put it on the inside!

linky

ETA 2: I can't stop commenting, lol! If you like lockets, check out the lockets under the custom lockets section. I LOVE these lockets and keep dropping hints about them, hahaha.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Adore the mokume designs; saw similar on Pearlman''s site! I''ll give these guys a call on Monday and see if it''s possible to set a diamond on the inside. Seems like it would just be a reversed and truncated verion of their scattered stone design. But I''m sure things always appear deceptively "simple" to the non-artisans (me!).

Love the lockets, too. Contemporary but a little antique-y.

-J

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
Check out George Sawyer. Distinctive rings for men.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Bunni,

Do you have an idea of what your fiance wants? I wasn't sure if you've asked from your post but if you haven't, I'd drop some hints and see what he likes.

My fiance chose this band (Titanium Era Flat) in a 6mm width, satin finish. It's a darker, steely grey and has no shine or polish whatsoever. It's unfussy and fit for a casual guy, which is perfect for him.

As for the diamond, I don't think hiding it inside would be a problem in 4-6mm width (I'm having diamonds put in my band at 3mm!). But unless he's given you the go-ahead to surprise him, I'd definitely make sure you know what he likes. Many guys are super particular about jewelry and if your guy is anything like mine, he KNOWS what he wants.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
blue:

Good call; the GS rings are very similar and gorgeous!

-J

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
EBree:

No worries; I would never get him something that only I like. He''s gotta love it, too. I do know, without a doubt, that he''s not a fan of "showy" stuff for himself. Luckily he likes me to sparkle! Which is why I thought it would be cute to hide a diamond in his ring - you know, like a little reminder of me -, but I digress...

He''s told me that he''s fond of the brushed, etched, and "flat" finishes. We''ve looked at several rings and he always seems to give the nod of approval to those type finishes. I also know for certain that he does not want something wider than 6 mm; too cumbersome for him. And his hands aren''t huge, so a narrow band looks appropriate. Also, a semi-comfort fit style would be ideal.

Does WhiteFlash do custom work such as this?

Thanks for the feedback!
1.gif

-J

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
How do you like this one? I picked this one out for my bf and he loves it. He doesn''t like shiny either, although as I look at this picture it seems there is a thin shiny area on the sides of the band. He has tried this style on at a local B&M and I don''t remember it being shiny at all...hmmmm...maybe we need to go look at that one again just to see if it matches this pic. It really is a very cool ring!

Here''s the link:
http://www.tungstenworld.com/Tungsten-Carbide-Ring/NITRO-8mm-Grooved/

tungsten1.jpg

dianne

Brilliant_Rock
another view...

ETA: not sure they can put in a diamond for you. Oops! I see it's 8mm. Wonder if they could make it 6mm or less if you asked?

tungsten2.jpg

niku414

Rough_Rock
this is great :) I actually showed my BF -- and he seems to really LOVE this particular mokume design (wood grain) :) looks like i'll be getting one for him soon :)

mokume-gane-com-WSE_NE.jpg

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2007 12:26:59 AM
Author: niku414
this is great :) I actually showed my BF -- and he seems to really LOVE this particular mokume design (wood grain) :) looks like i''ll be getting one for him soon :)
Oh, this one is really cool looking!

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
kcoursolle:

This is the closest one yet! Thank you!

-J

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock

dianne:

Thanks for posting pics! My sweetie and I looked at a similar ring (Jeff Cooper, maybe?) and he wasn''t nearly as excited about it as I was. I think it was a little too "geometric" for him. Go figure...

Actually, your tungsten version seems a little grayer/darker (in the pics anyway) than the one we looked at; I like yours much better. Excellent choice!

36.gif

-J

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results