shape
carat
color
clarity

VVS2 with feather near the girdle - is this a problem?

bqnbqn

Rough_Rock
This posting got lost at the end of a long thread so I'm hoping some experts here can answer my questions below:

2.69ct VVS2 G AGS0 cut
http://www.agslab.com/pdf_sync_reports/104071002017-PLDQR.PDF

I have asked the vendor's gemologist (from James Allen) to examine the diamond and give me an assessment on color, where it stands on the G range. I also asked about the feather near the girdle and natural on the pavilion face. This is the reply I got from their sales department:

-------------------------
Thank you for your patience while waiting for the gemologist inspection of diamond (SKU withheld). I’m happy to inform you that this diamond has excellent fire, brilliance, an scintillation, which balances nicely. It's completely eye clean, and even under a loupe, you won't see the natural. As expected, its feather reaches the surface, but it's tiny, not visible, and doesn't pose any durability concerns. Lastly, they said it has a true "G" color, and that if you send it to GIA, they would give it a "G" color grade.
-------------------------

With VVS2 clarify, of course, no inclusions should be spotted under 10x so no surprise there. What do you think about the feather? Do feathers typically extend to the surface? I have read articles on feathers and also seen some postings where folks were warning against feathers that extend to the surface with respect to durability but this is a VVS2 stone so should I still be concerned that the feather may more likely develop into a chip if accidentally banged against vs a stone with no feathers?

Is the feather faced-up the primary reason why this was graded VVS2 instead of VVS1? I have seen VVS1 graded stones with pinpoints and clouds on crown face but no feathers.

How about the natural near the girdle? Of all inclusions, how severe are naturals?

Thank you in advance for any feedback on these clarity issues.

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
As with any VVS2 diamond based on a feather there is nothing to worry about. Yes ALL feathers that are plotted as feathers will always reach the surface as that is how they are plotted.

A natural is remaining skin from the original rough. If there were only naturals on a diamond it would be Internally Flawless.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results