shape
carat
color
clarity

VS1 diamond with a knot

Scc1515

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I just purchased a diamond for an engagement ring but now I am questioning my selection. The diamond is rated as a VS1 however, there is a knot in it. I have looked over it a ton in pictures and 360 view and I can't seem to see it anywhere. My biggest worry is that this will affect the durability of the diamond long term. Luckily it is from Blue Nile and it has not shipped yet so I can change or exchange it if needed. Below is a link. Any input on if this inclusion is something I should be worried out would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.bluenile.com/build-your-own-ring/diamond-details/LD10428934

Thanks for the help!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Knots aren’t good news. Think of them like knots in a piece of wood; they protrude from the surface, can crack, expand, and cause all sorts of problems.

I’d suggest telling BN to hold off sending it and choosing a new diamond.

Scc1515

Rough_Rock
Knots aren’t good news. Think of them like knots in a piece of wood; they protrude from the surface, can crack, expand, and cause all sorts of problems.

Thanks for the info! That is what I was worried about... I found another one that think looks pretty nice and it doesn't have a knot. Thoughts?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...ATIONS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the info! That is what I was worried about... I found another one that think looks pretty nice and it doesn't have a knot. Thoughts?

https://www.bluenile.com/diamond-de...ATIONS&track=viewDiamondDetails&action=newTab
Let me first ask - What is it you’re looking for in terms of desired diamond? We (PS’ers) tend to live by the motto “cut is king” and will sacrifice color and size to get a great cut that sparkles like few have ever seen. However, not everyone wants that. Some want a certain carat mark or insist on D/VVS for whatever reason.

So where would you say your desires land within all of that? Also, what is your budget, does the diamond have to be from BN, and do you want a vendor with a great upgrade policy or is that not necessarily a consideration?

Scc1515

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all of the replies! I called BN and It looks like the original diamond I had selected will ship to me but BN does have the 30 day return policy so I can still change it later. The representative also assured me that a knot on a VS1 diamond should not cause any problems but I’m still hesitant.

As far as what I’m looking for in a diamond the cut is very important to me and I have only been looking at ideal cut diamonds. That being said, I also would like to have a diamond of at least 1.5 carats. As far as budget goes I am looking to spend around $11k for the diamond. I am not too concerned with upgrading the stone in the future. I am just looking for the best 1.5 carat diamond in that budget.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Scc1515 , I started a thread about a knot in my VVS2 (see link below). I did some serious research on my knot situation and it seems there are differing opinions on the matter. Some refuse knots all together, regardless of their size, location or the clarity grade of the stone, while other are of the opinion that knots may be ok depending on those factors. In my case, I was comfortable with my knot since my stone is a VVS2 and the knot microscopic (I haven't been able to find it under 60x magnification) and is last on the list of Clarity Characteristics for my diamond. The knot on the diamond you selected appears to be larger in size, located on the table and is first on the list of Clarity Characteristics. I would suggest taking the diamond to an independent appraiser for their opinion on the knot and if you are not comfortable with it, return it. If you decide to return it, I'm sure the expert PSers here will be able to find you some alternative options! GL!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/knot-in-my-vvs2.241213/

Scc1515

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info on your VVS2 diamond. I think I will bring mine to an independent appraiser and see what their thoughts are.

Scc1515

Rough_Rock
Diamond came in today and I took it to an independent appraiser to get their opinion. They looked it over and said I shouldn’t worry about the knot at all. It does not come through on the surface and won’t have any effect on the integrity of the diamond. Since it is a VS1, it’s totally eye clean and looks great. Thanks for the help everyone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results