shape
carat
color
clarity

Knot in my VVS2?!?

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Good morning, Rocky Talkers. I'm back with a question about my recently purchased 1.85 ct, G, VVS 2, HCA 1.8 diamond. I posted it on this forum before purchasing and got some good input and no negative feedback on the knot, but now I am reading posts about knot inclusions being a cause for rejection that are causing me great concern. Since my diamond is still returnable, I thought I would get some reassurance from you fine folks about this knot. I've taken the diamond in for appraisal and no comment was made about the knot, but I did not specifically ask about it either. Since it is a VVS 2, the polish grade is "excellent", and the knot is listed after the pinpoints, does that mean that the knot is not of any concern or significance? My main concern is that it will affect the structural integrity of the stone since it is obviously not visible (hence the VVS 2) and presumably does not affect the polish (hence the "excellent" polish grade). So is this an instance where the knot is insignificant (if there is such a thing)? Or do the opinions on knots just vary and there is no "absolute" with regard to them? Sorry for all the questions...I think all this diamond research is getting to my head LOL Thanks again for all your help!

UpgradeKnot.jpg UpgradeKnotA.jpg

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't be concerned with a knot at VVS2.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks to all for your opinions! Still trying to gather info on what impact this particular knot might have on this particular diamond. There isn't much out there and the info I have found has been very polarizing. But the VVS2 clarity rating and the fact that this knot is minuscule in size and listed below the pinpoints in the clarity characteristics leads me to believe that it is not an issue.

I just don't like the word "knot" on my stone...that just me. :bigsmile:

Thanks, Dancing Fire...it is opinions like yours that cause me concern. Do you feel this way because you feel that a knot...any knot, no matter the size, location or clarity rating of the diamond, compromises the integrity of the stone? Or is it a "mind clean" feeling against knots?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
At VVS2 it is definitely knot a durability concern. (see what I did there :) )

By definition, inclusions in this grade are so small that they are difficult for an experienced grader to see with 10x magnification.

Any inclusions or blemishes in the VVS grades are essentially identifiers only.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Totally agree with Bryan....

Thanks, Dancing Fire...it is opinions like yours that cause me concern.

About opinions: Imagine if we held an online poll, which is better Vanilla or Chocolate.
Within 15 minutes the chocolate eaters would be accusing the vanilla eaters of bestiality.:devil:
The point is: while I respect DF's feelings, they're not related to any legitimate concern.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Totally agree with Bryan....

About opinions: Imagine if we held an online poll, which is better Vanilla or Chocolate.
Within 15 minutes the chocolate eaters would be accusing the vanilla eaters of bestiality.:devil:
The point is: while I respect DF's feelings, they're not related to any legitimate concern.

We know DF, you prefer 'naughty'. :twisted2:

:lol: You guys are killing me! LOL

Thanks...Sounds like I just need to put all this knot business to rest. Thanks for alleviating my concerns.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Dancing Fire...it is opinions like yours that cause me concern. Do you feel this way because you feel that a knot...any knot, no matter the size, location or clarity rating of the diamond, compromises the integrity of the stone? Or is it a "mind clean" feeling against knots?
Yes, two words I'd avoid on a diamond, knot and cavity especially on a VVS stone, again that just me. ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results