shape
carat
color
clarity

Vs1 clarity...just assume eye clean?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Just wondering. When you find a vs1 stone do you assume eye clean regardless of placement, size of clouds?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wondering. When you find a vs1 stone do you assume eye clean regardless of placement, size of clouds?
Yes, 99% of the time if graded by GIA or AGS. I'm on my 3rd VS1 stone now, all eye clean. When you get to my age all SI1 will look eye clean!...:lol:

Last edited:

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, 99% of the time if graded by GIA or AGS. I'm on my 3rd VS1 stone now, all eye clean. When you get to my age all SI1 will look eye clean!...:lol:

Ha :) Thanks @Dancing Fire ! I just saw this gia plot report showing a cloud right in the center of the table that took up close to half the table! But it was a vs1.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha :) Thanks @Dancing Fire ! I just saw this gia plot report showing a cloud right in the center of the table that took up close to half the table! But it was a vs1.

Clouds and other unreported haze issues can be a different matter, I believe - Garry H posted a GIA report the other week for a D IF that was downgraded by the vendor because of clarity issues.

I believe that GIA have been pestered to develop grading of such issues but they seem to be resistant.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Clouds and other unreported haze issues can be a different matter, I believe - Garry H posted a GIA report the other week for a D IF that was downgraded by the vendor because of clarity issues.

I believe that GIA have been pestered to develop grading of such issues but they seem to be resistant.

Thanks @OoohShiny . Do I understand that the plotted cloud for a vs1 is not a concern, it is the commented clouds that are more the concern for vs1 ?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL...yup, now give me all those small table 34.5/40.8 super ideals....your eye sight is horrible...GIA XXX will do. :P2:lol-2:

I'd say the vast majority of the time VS1+ stones are going to be okay, but as @OoohShiny pointed out, you are wise to pay heed to potential inclusions that may affect transparency. Good rule of thumb is to just never assume anything because of a clarity grade.

Your specific condition would not automatically put a reject mark on the stone, but IMO it definitely warrants further investigation to ensure no transparency issues are present. Also, if you have medium+ levels of fluor in the stone, different types of inclusions can make the situation worse.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
LOL...yup, now give me all those small table 34.5/40.8 super ideals....your eye sight is horrible...GIA XXX will do. :P2:lol-2:

I'd say the vast majority of the time VS1+ stones are going to be okay, but as @OoohShiny pointed out, you are wise to pay heed to potential inclusions that may affect transparency. Good rule of thumb is to just never assume anything because of a clarity grade.

Your specific condition would not automatically put a reject mark on the stone, but IMO it definitely warrants further investigation to ensure no transparency issues are present. Also, if you have medium+ levels of fluor in the stone, different types of inclusions can make the situation worse.

@sledge , good to know! Btw, the stone in question is no fluorescence.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would assume the clouds are very transparent for this stone to be called VS1; there is only one way to know if you agree with the grader.

Last edited:

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
Screenshot_20200308-235313.png that looks like a big cloud.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In a VS1 I doubt it will be an issue. Do you have a video or picture?

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I highly doubt the cloud will negatively effect the stone. It doesn't look hazy to me, although I think at the right angle I can see the cloud.

Mlh

Brilliant_Rock
I highly doubt the cloud will negatively effect the stone. It doesn't look hazy to me, although I think at the right angle I can see the cloud.

It is too bad. The stats on the stone look great. But that big cloud would eat at me.

MsShnooks

Shiny_Rock
Its probably very different for a VS1 stone, but my cloudy SI2 is quite interesting. In some lights it looks crisp but there’s one room in my house in particular which just brings out the inclusions and it looks horrible. So I‘d probably prefer other types of inclusions in future purchases.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would request an aset image on this stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for weighing in @Garry H (Cut Nut) ! I would think such a big cloud in the middle of the table would be an issue.

I agree but I have yet to see a VS1 diamond that is dull. If the stone had strong fluoro then the cloud could be an issue, but it has none. Also there is another secondary inclusion. So I am not anticipating any issues.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results