Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Vote on floor lamp please.

Which contemporary floor lamp should I buy?

  • 1

    Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 2

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • 3

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • 4

    Votes: 3 13.6%

  • Total voters
    22

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
329
Which one would match your living room decor the most? I find #1 and #2 most aesthetically pleasing to my eye.
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,293
Ditto. Numbers 3 and 4 look like they're trying too hard to be cool.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I don't have any recent pics of my living room.

This is the most recent. The lamp would go on the size of the couch wear there is a pile of blankets in the pic.

Since this was taken I've bought a black and gray shag rug so it looks more urban and less "mom" and added dark charcoal drapery panels with ivory sheers under them for height at the window.

The art work is a bright red mirror over the couch... a bit like this one (only nicer and red) http://www.zgallerie.com/p-10390-angelique-mirror-black.aspx

And two black, cream and grey pieces of art with silver frames.

I'm adding purple into the room with a couple of these http://www.etsy.com/listing/79623240/decorative-designer-pillow-cover-fits-18 on the couch. I don't have the cream pillows (the small ones) in the living room anymore. And the pillows with the red and cream pattern are in the dining room now.

And I'm thinking of buying this or this for on the coffee table http://www.crateandbarrel.com/decorating-and-accessories/centerpiece-bowls/salamanca-centerpiece-bowl/s227610 or maybe this one (cheaper by A LOT!) http://www.amazon.com/Decorative-Fruit-Colored-Purple-Finish/dp/B004B4HLXA/ref=wl_itt_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I20RGY4PTVANVQ&colid=2F10FSKBEKZ8V I'd kill to own this but it is WAY out of the budget http://www.bellacor.com/productdetail/union-street-glass-ulb-am-urchin-amethyst-original-large-bowl-381961.htm?partid=froogle-DataFeed-Bowls-381961

Gypsy LivingRoom 1.jpg
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,293
I voted for no. 1 but I've changed my mind on that - I don't think the post-modern lamp would fit in your decor. Between the mirror and the pillows (not to mention your dream vase) it seems like you have a lot of large-scale, stylized organic shapes going on. You could either go with a lamp just does its job while letting those elements shine - something like no. 2 but even simpler, or a lamp that holds its own with those elements... and that just might be no. 3 (although I'm not crazy about the plaid motif on the shades).

But be forewarned, decorating is not my strong suite. I just like opining! :wink2:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
heb|1318317233|3037586 said:
I don't really think any of those lamps work with your furniture. You need to work within the traditional(sofa) and classic modern(coffee table) style of your furnishings. Also remember scale so your room feels balanced. This lamp is a nice combo of both modern and traditional...

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/flo...isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

I like that one. I originally wanted the lamp in this picture: http://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/purple-living-room-1.jpg But could not find it. The one you found is similar enough but also budget friendly. I just wish the shade was closer to the shape in the "inspiration lamp" in the picture. Plus it's a little short. We were hoping for something above 5 feet and closer to the 6 foot range (72 inches).

More suggestions welcome. I need the help. The rug is this one (decidedly NOT traditional but extremely practical with the 5 cats so it's here to stay. I call it the "Muppet rug" cause it looks like you skinned a Muppet and threw it on the floor) in the black and silver: http://ak1.ostkcdn.com/images/products/L12250915e.jpg
 

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Apr 21, 2008
Messages
428
If you like the lamp then it's super easy to find a shade to compliment it and your vision. As far as height I think you could get away with its 5 ft. size with your ceiling height. The inspiration photo has super high ceilings, hence the tall lamp for balance.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I have nine foot ceilings. And we had a 5 footer in here but I returned it as it just looked short.

It's a good option. But last time I priced out shades I was shocked to find out many of them are over 50 bucks.

How about these?

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/possini-euro-design-light-blaster-trumpet-floor-lamp__r3028.html

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flr4607.htm Also short, but I like the shape of the lamp shade and could live with the color (although I prefer a whiter shade ideally). Perfectly matches my curtain rods though.

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flr4612.htm I adore the shade.

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/fl92071.htm Might be a little too tall but I love it.

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flk4271.htm Short, but otherwise a contender

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/fl13918.htm Can't decide if I hate the shade or not. And it's also 60 inches.

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/fl86780.htm Totally enjoy this one but am afraid it would blend too much with the charcoal drapes that would be behind it.

http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm THIS ONE SEEMS TO HAVE IT ALL??? I would change the shade if it bugged me because it is tall enough and... I think otherwise perfect? Hmm... or is that height including that finial?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/glass-orbs-and-brushed-nickel-floor-lamp__96262.html Would HAVE to change that shade but I like it. Might work though with one of the shades I saw in Target. Would have to check. Wonder if I can find it cheaper elsewhere. Darn it no 17inch lamp shades at target online. Okay found this pretty 16 inch : http://www.everylampshade.com/esr0144.htm But it puts me at $100 over budget. I can do 50, 100 is pushing it.

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/spindle-gloss-black-floor-lamp__11988.html I ADORE THIS ONE. If only it was in nickle with a white shade. DARN IT.

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName Did I already post this one?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74130-helene-swing-arm-floor-lamp_g733367.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName I like this one A LOT.

Lamp shades all 16 inches

http://www.everylampshade.com/es52338.htm

http://www.everylampshade.com/es52338.htm
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Okay so... after all that...

I think this one is the winner in my eyes. But so far, my eyes haven't been great. SO... if you like another better PLEASE let me know!

I'd love to know if there is one you guys like better.

Second choice and almost 100 dollars more. http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm

Tied for second http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74228-tristan-floor-lamp-polished-nickel_g408769.html?isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Third choice: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName
 

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 29, 2006
Messages
12,450
I think we were posting at the same time (which, by the way, you're up early!). Which one do you think is the winner?
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I know, I'm up late. It's past 2:30am and WAY past time for bed.

I posted just above you. But really would love your honest thoughts!

ETA: DH just TOLD me I'm going to sleep now. LOL. Good night all and thank you (especially Heb!) :wavey:
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
VRBeauty|1318316327|3037585 said:
I voted for no. 1 but I've changed my mind on that - I don't think the post-modern lamp would fit in your decor. Between the mirror and the pillows (not to mention your dream vase) it seems like you have a lot of large-scale, stylized organic shapes going on. You could either go with a lamp just does its job while letting those elements shine - something like no. 2 but even simpler, or a lamp that holds its own with those elements... and that just might be no. 3 (although I'm not crazy about the plaid motif on the shades).

But be forewarned, decorating is not my strong suite. I just like opining! :wink2:

I like your opining. What do you think of the newer offerings?
 

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
2,401
If the lamp will be anywhere near that mirror, then it would be best to either do something very straight so that it doesn't compete or clash or do a shape that echos the baroque detailing.

Google "room with baroque mirror" and study the relationships between the lighting and the mirror.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
heraanderson|1318333880|3037653 said:
If the lamp will be anywhere near that mirror, then it would be best to either do something very straight so that it doesn't compete or clash or do a shape that echos the baroque detailing.

Google "room with baroque mirror" and study the relationships between the lighting and the mirror.

The mirror isn't anywhere near as big as that. It's got this general shape: http://www.scroggiestudio.com/images/mirrors/medium/glamorous-baroque-mirror.jpg only without as big a top thing. But it's bright red. And the 'lines of it look like this one: http://www.homeaccentstoday.com/photo/282/282320-RED_Artdreams.jpg

Which of these would you pick?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74130-helene-swing-arm-floor-lamp_g733367.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName

Second choice and almost 100 dollars more. http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm

Tied for second http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74228-tristan-floor-lamp-polished-nickel_g408769.html?isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Third choice: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,788
Gypsy, your first choice is really classic and you can't go wrong with that. It is like that perfect solitaire setting. Sleek and smooth
and would never go out of style and blends well with other things. It's a blender.

That said, I would go for the second (of the last posting). It is classic yet with a little bit of flair. It adds something unique to the
room without shouting 'look at me'. I really really like it. The third one, although like the second is trying a bit too hard. It is not
as fluid and is more tightly packed together. It makes it a little tense looking, if that makes sense. (at least to me)
 

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
2,401
Gypsy|1318337595|3037675 said:
heraanderson|1318333880|3037653 said:
If the lamp will be anywhere near that mirror, then it would be best to either do something very straight so that it doesn't compete or clash or do a shape that echos the baroque detailing.

Google "room with baroque mirror" and study the relationships between the lighting and the mirror.

The mirror isn't anywhere near as big as that. It's got this general shape: http://www.scroggiestudio.com/images/mirrors/medium/glamorous-baroque-mirror.jpg only without as big a top thing. But it's bright red. And the 'lines of it look like this one: http://www.homeaccentstoday.com/photo/282/282320-RED_Artdreams.jpg

Which of these would you pick?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74130-helene-swing-arm-floor-lamp_g733367.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName

Second choice and almost 100 dollars more. http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm

Tied for second http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74228-tristan-floor-lamp-polished-nickel_g408769.html?isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Third choice: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName
I wasn't pointing to any of the mirrors on the google search specifically. I was trying to show you images of what types of lighting people have chosen to be nearby similar mirrors. It helps to see how someone else has solved the same design issue.
In those images, we can see that some people choose to contrast the mirror with a clean, streamlined lamp and some go and get a lamp that echos the lines of the mirror.
Of the lamps you've shown, the sawtooth one looks like it may echo some of the lines present in the baroque lamp so it's one I would pick right now.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
luv2sparkle|1318338187|3037683 said:
Gypsy, your first choice is really classic and you can't go wrong with that. It is like that perfect solitaire setting. Sleek and smooth
and would never go out of style and blends well with other things. It's a blender.

That said, I would go for the second (of the last posting). It is classic yet with a little bit of flair. It adds something unique to the
room without shouting 'look at me'. I really really like it. The third one, although like the second is trying a bit too hard. It is not
as fluid and is more tightly packed together. It makes it a little tense looking, if that makes sense. (at least to me)
Great feedback! Just one question: when you say "first one" which are you referring to?

Thank you!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
heraanderson|1318338394|3037685 said:
Gypsy|1318337595|3037675 said:
heraanderson|1318333880|3037653 said:
If the lamp will be anywhere near that mirror, then it would be best to either do something very straight so that it doesn't compete or clash or do a shape that echos the baroque detailing.

Google "room with baroque mirror" and study the relationships between the lighting and the mirror.

The mirror isn't anywhere near as big as that. It's got this general shape: http://www.scroggiestudio.com/images/mirrors/medium/glamorous-baroque-mirror.jpg only without as big a top thing. But it's bright red. And the 'lines of it look like this one: http://www.homeaccentstoday.com/photo/282/282320-RED_Artdreams.jpg

Which of these would you pick?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74130-helene-swing-arm-floor-lamp_g733367.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName

Second choice and almost 100 dollars more. http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm

Tied for second http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74228-tristan-floor-lamp-polished-nickel_g408769.html?isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Third choice: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName
I wasn't pointing to any of the mirrors on the google search specifically. I was trying to show you images of what types of lighting people have chosen to be nearby similar mirrors. It helps to see how someone else has solved the same design issue.
In those images, we can see that some people choose to contrast the mirror with a clean, streamlined lamp and some go and get a lamp that echos the lines of the mirror.
Of the lamps you've shown, the sawtooth one looks like it may echo some of the lines present in the baroque lamp so it's one I would pick right now.
Thank you honey. It was a good excercise. The one I saw used the most though was My original number two: the Arc Lamp in the poll as number 2. Which I adore. It's a great piece and I love it so... it may be back in the running again!
 

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
2,401
Gypsy|1318338570|3037688 said:
heraanderson|1318338394|3037685 said:
Gypsy|1318337595|3037675 said:
heraanderson|1318333880|3037653 said:
If the lamp will be anywhere near that mirror, then it would be best to either do something very straight so that it doesn't compete or clash or do a shape that echos the baroque detailing.

Google "room with baroque mirror" and study the relationships between the lighting and the mirror.

The mirror isn't anywhere near as big as that. It's got this general shape: http://www.scroggiestudio.com/images/mirrors/medium/glamorous-baroque-mirror.jpg only without as big a top thing. But it's bright red. And the 'lines of it look like this one: http://www.homeaccentstoday.com/photo/282/282320-RED_Artdreams.jpg

Which of these would you pick?

http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74130-helene-swing-arm-floor-lamp_g733367.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName

Second choice and almost 100 dollars more. http://www.shopfloorlamps.com/flj4560.htm

Tied for second http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kichler-lighting-74228-tristan-floor-lamp-polished-nickel_g408769.html?isku=3897185&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

Third choice: http://www.lightinguniverse.com/floor-lamps/kenroy-home-32135ch-milano-floor-lamp-chrome_g885547.html?linkloc=cataLogProductItemsName
I wasn't pointing to any of the mirrors on the google search specifically. I was trying to show you images of what types of lighting people have chosen to be nearby similar mirrors. It helps to see how someone else has solved the same design issue.
In those images, we can see that some people choose to contrast the mirror with a clean, streamlined lamp and some go and get a lamp that echos the lines of the mirror.
Of the lamps you've shown, the sawtooth one looks like it may echo some of the lines present in the baroque lamp so it's one I would pick right now.
Thank you honey. It was a good excercise. The one I saw used the most though was My original number two: the Arc Lamp in the poll as number 2. Which I adore. It's a great piece and I love it so... it may be back in the running again!
That doesn't surprise me as the arc is so classic. It would contrast nicely with the ornateness of the mirror. And if you love it, that means something. It will always bring a smile to your face.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I think you are right. It fits well with the mirror and the rug because it's neutral. But it is also interesting. And it's got great height and I really do want that with my 9 foot ceilings.
 

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
7,788
I was referring to the lamps in the post (that was quoted) in the post right above mine.

The first was the Kichler Helene swing arm lamp and the one I really liked was the one that cost $100 more from shopfloorlamps.
 

CoutureFemme

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
329
I can totally picture #2 in the poll fitting well with the rest of the pieces in your living room, so that's the one I voted for. BTW, I absolutely love the urchin bowl, it's a beautiful color and shape. You've a great eye!
 

fleur-de-lis

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Apr 25, 2007
Messages
1,343
Gypsy, I know this doesn't help at all with the issue at hand, but I just had to let you know how much I enjoy your threads like this!
 

April20

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
3,312
I like #1. #2 would drive me crazy with finger prints. I like the shape of the shades of #3 & 4 but i prefer that shade when it's oversized and used in a chandelier.
 

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 30, 2005
Messages
28,955
I have a different view, (surprise surprise). :lol:

When selecting something to add to the house I give no consideration whatsoever to whether it "goes" with what's already in the house.
My decision is solely based on the item itself.

The result is a house full of stuff I love.
I guess in that sense, it all goes together.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top