shape
carat
color
clarity

Voce's Gemstone Ramblings...

voce

Ideal_Rock
Is it only in sunlight that the nephrite looks bright?

The UK light can take the life out of certain gems.

A dead green would be like a very deep dark green.

Your nephrite bracelet is lovely! Not at all yellow or lifeless.

I am looking at Siberian nephrite and was hoping the green would be not so deep dark dark green.

I don't think the top quality Siberian nephrite would look that dark. I think that from browsing a lot of listings from Canadian and Siberian nephrite, the green is quite nice, and mine is typical for color. Note the little carbon spots that you see on some beads. The most expensive material will have the least of those black carbon spots. I have wondered before whether a lot of sellers try to sell you nephrite without showing it in strong light because they're trying to hide the black spots of the material and think they can sell it for more that way.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hey @lovedogs just wanted to call out and see if you've done anything yet with your champagne zircon?

I've got two now, and I don't know how I want to set them yet. One is a unique kite cut from Dan Stair Jr (I was inspired to grab it after I saw your lovely zircon), and the other is a pear that's a nice gift from MasterCut Gems. They're not exactly the same color, so I don't want to do a toi et moi. Do you have any ideas?

PXL_20210627_013748238.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @lovedogs just wanted to call out and see if you've done anything yet with your champagne zircon?

I've got two now, and I don't know how I want to set them yet. One is a unique kite cut from Dan Stair Jr (I was inspired to grab it after I saw your lovely zircon), and the other is a pear that's a nice gift from MasterCut Gems. They're not exactly the same color, so I don't want to do a toi et moi. Do you have any ideas?

PXL_20210627_013748238.jpg

Not yet (very very long story). But those look gorgeous!

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210706_154506197.jpg

These are the last two to my collection for the year. I have others I've purchased and which will probably be on the way to me (slower shipping), but these two really satisfy my itch for a nice apple green (not solid color but solid grain) and an icy lavender without breaking the bank.

PXL_20210706_161226393.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210720_192400126.jpg PXL_20210720_192431166.jpg PXL_20210720_192510118.jpg
Paraibas are such camera hoggers. The first two pictures are accurate for the vibrant sidestones, which are cobalt spinels and Afghani emeralds. The paraiba for whatever reason appears so neon, more so on camera than IRL. On the last picture I used post pictures Google photo adjustments to show the RL color of the paraiba, but then the colors are no longer accurate for the rest of the picture.

Sparklemore

Shiny_Rock
DFCB83BC-B618-4B24-A511-6B0011F378B1.jpeg
That emerald is a comparable bargain next to a top Burma ruby, lol. $300k/ct for that huge top top top stone vs. $2million/ct for a maybe 5 carat Burma ruby gem?? Lol!! Wait! I blinked my eyes, I think it just went up to $3million/ct! :eek2:

Really fine demantoid is neon. You have a beautiful ring, as is the rest of your ring box. Most people never heard of drmantoid, or paraiba, let alone own them. Consider yourself very fortunate. Your demantoids really pack a color punch!! Gorgeous!

I have some demantoids, but they’re Namibian and not saturated. They sparkle though. This is a horrible pic of my largest loose in an empty setting.

Fine demantoid garnet is one gemstone I’ve never seen in person. Hopefully soon!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fine demantoid garnet is one gemstone I’ve never seen in person. Hopefully soon!

I have, including a magnificent Russian specimen of 11 carats at the. Smithsonian.

***sigh***

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20210706_154506197.jpg

These are the last two to my collection for the year. I have others I've purchased and which will probably be on the way to me (slower shipping), but these two really satisfy my itch for a nice apple green (not solid color but solid grain) and an icy lavender without breaking the bank.

PXL_20210706_161226393.jpg

The lavender one went fluorescent under UV light, so I'm trying to return it.

For those of you who asked for pictures of my complete collection, I decided to organize my rings by type of material, and took a couple pictures.

PXL_20210725_075909715.jpg PXL_20210725_075953934.jpg
The rings in the black velvet are all platinum. In the lower container, the left section is platinum (5 rings), black gold (white gold plated with black rhodium), and white gold. The middle section consists of silver rings. The right section features rose and yellow gold rings.

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock

For those of you who asked for pictures of my complete collection, I decided to organize my rings by type of material, and took a couple pictures.

The rings in the black velvet are all platinum. In the lower container, the left section is platinum (5 rings), black gold (white gold plated with black rhodium), and white gold. The middle section consists of silver rings. The right section features rose and yellow gold rings.

Beautiful collection!
Is the silver Lily ring done in the platinum silver? If so, how well does it prevent tarnish? I don't have anything made with that metal and am so curious about how it wears.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful collection!
Is the silver Lily ring done in the platinum silver? If so, how well does it prevent tarnish? I don't have anything made with that metal and am so curious about how it wears.

It's in argentum silver, which is CRD's regular silver. It doesn't prevent tarnish, but it certainly tarnishes more slowly compared to standard 925 silver. I've noticed that Yvonne's silver rings tarnish more slowly than my regular silver rings from Daniel M, which makes for less frequent cleaning required. Note that Daniel M also offers a silver that tarnishes more slowly called continuum silver by the casters.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring collection is gorgeous @voce !:love:

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no words, voce re your ring collection :) Hope that you have daughters or other descendants who will appreciate your collection! Many of your rings are true works of art.

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

WOWZA!! That is one amazing collection. I would have so much fun playing with them, organising by colour, ranking them...
You are one lucky gal!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Your ring collection is gorgeous @voce !:love:
Thank you 2Neezers!

That's a whole battalion of colours! :) what joy to see them!
Thank you Burmesedaze. Yes, I've been under stress in my personal life lately. It's nice and relaxing to take my rings out and enjoy the colors.

I have no words, voce re your ring collection :) Hope that you have daughters or other descendants who will appreciate your collection! Many of your rings are true works of art.
Thank you, Leslie! One of the rings here was from you. Did you recognize that one?

voce

Ideal_Rock
WOWZA!! That is one amazing collection. I would have so much fun playing with them, organising by colour, ranking them...
You are one lucky gal!!

Yes, well too bad most of these are in the same most of the time. I'll try and remember to take these out to play more often. Feeling a bit depressed regarding what's happening or not happening in my personal life right now, and these colorful baubles are a consolation.

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Yes, well too bad most of these are in the same most of the time. I'll try and remember to take these out to play more often. Feeling a bit depressed regarding what's happening or not happening in my personal life right now, and these colorful baubles are a consolation.

Playing with my jewelry takes my mind off my worries for awhile, it's a pleasant escape for me from the stress of daily life. Especially with the pandemic which feels endless to me. I would absolutely enjoy playing in your jewelry box!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I noticed my hexagon band among the other beauties in your collection, voce :) Hope that things in your personal life move in a more positive direction very soon!

emeraldhummingbird

Shiny_Rock

Of course! There's no point to them if you don't take them out and enjoy them =)2 They are a great pick me up.
Sorry to hear that you are not feeling the best lately. I sincerely hope that things pick up for you soon. In the meantime, enjoy the beautiful creations you've brought to life. Every time I see your butterfly ring on PS it certainly brings a smile to my face!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Ok, here's a question for @Burmesedaze @Bluegemz @icy_jade and anyone who has experience setting (or designing settings for) star corundum cabs.

What do you do (how is the setting designed) if the gem is not flat on the bottom? Does it limit you to bezel or prong settings?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, here's a question for @Burmesedaze @Bluegemz @icy_jade and anyone who has experience setting (or designing settings for) star corundum cabs.

What do you do (how is the setting designed) if the gem is not flat on the bottom? Does it limit you to bezel or prong settings?

20210805_114606.jpg

Don't think it matters wrt prong or bezel, as the basket can be raised so the stone sits level from top down.

voce

Ideal_Rock
20210805_114606.jpg

Don't think it matters wrt prong or bezel, as the basket can be raised so the stone sits level from top down.

Those stones look like they have much flatter bottoms than mine. This is the side view. On one side (it faces up like an oval), the bottom of the stone is much thicker. I worry if it will be more difficult to set...

PXL_20210805_040045518.jpg

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Those stones look like they have much flatter bottoms than mine. This is the side view. On one side (it faces up like an oval), the bottom of the stone is much thicker. I worry if it will be more difficult to set...

PXL_20210805_040045518.jpg

How is this any different from normal gems with a “backside”? I think it doesn’t matter

voce

Ideal_Rock
How is this any different from normal gems with a “backside”? I think it doesn’t matter

Ok, I will go ahead and ask my jeweler.

I think the difference is that normal gems have a clearly defined girdle that prongs can grip. Most cabs I've gotten before had flat bottoms, so could rest in a flat cup bottom.

I'd want to make sure the part you see the asterism is centered and facing up... Not sure how easy to set a cab with wonkiness on bottom... I've tried to set a few cabs myself before and found them extremely difficult...

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Not sure how easy to set a cab with wonkiness on bottom... I've tried to set a few cabs myself before and found them extremely difficult...

That’s why I leave mine to the experts (aka people at the workshops). I’ll have a look at my rings later and see if I have any examples but yeah doesn’t matter and can be done. Have seen lots of wonky backsides while shopping

voce

Ideal_Rock
Have seen lots of wonky backsides while shopping
Yeah, if it was less expensive material, I wouldn't mind sending this in for a recut. That's why I'm trying to ask the experts. But I will have to decide whether to keep this gem, and none of my jewelers are local, really.

@stracci2000 ? Have you ever set a star gen with a wonky backside?

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I've seen many in Yangon with uneven backs. Doesn't matter. They will adjust the basket. Not heard of it being of any concern.

You may wish to ask your setters how they would secure it.

If they can set natural angular spinels, they can set anything.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If they can set natural angular spinels, they can set anything.

What do you mean, natural angular spinels? Not sure if I've seen one?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results