shape
carat
color
clarity

Voce's Gemstone Ramblings...

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, if it was less expensive material, I wouldn't mind sending this in for a recut. That's why I'm trying to ask the experts. But I will have to decide whether to keep this gem, and none of my jewelers are local, really.

@stracci2000 ? Have you ever set a star gen with a wonky backside?

First, @voce, I want to roll around in your rings like a mad
woman! What an impressive collection!
Second, yes, I have seen plenty of stars with wonky backsides.
Uneven, lumpy, etc.
The setting just has to be designed to accommodate all that weight on the bottom.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Spinels in their uncut natural form are called angel cut spinel. Something like this: https://ivynewyork.com/blogs/news/antique-red-spinel-bangle-sold-at-christie
Wow, now I've got to make a bangle like that with my own! A while back, I was able to buy some from Finewater Gems in smaller sizes.

First, @voce, I want to roll around in your rings like a mad
woman! What an impressive collection!
Second, yes, I have seen plenty of stars with wonky backsides.
Uneven, lumpy, etc.
The setting just has to be designed to accommodate all that weight on the bottom.
Thank you, stracci, for the compliment and the content on stars. The ones I've set before were all more even on the backside.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
That’s why I leave mine to the experts (aka people at the workshops). I’ll have a look at my rings later and see if I have any examples but yeah doesn’t matter and can be done. Have seen lots of wonky backsides while shopping

Hey, I checked and no wonky behinds to show you but it really shouldn’t matter. Any competent bench should be able to set it.

Starstruck8

Rough_Rock
Ok, here's a question for @[email protected]@icy_jade and anyone who has experience setting (or designing settings for) star corundum cabs.

What do you do (how is the setting designed) if the gem is not flat on the bottom? Does it limit you to bezel or prong settings?

Prongs and bezels are both possible. You just have to design for the bases. Here are three approaches. All these (cat's eye chrysoberyl, star spinel, cat's eye sillimanite) have wonky bases. It's because of a large chip in the base that the sillimanite eye is not aligned NS - but I can live with that.
RingFronts.jpg
RingBacks.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
PXL_20201214_185553226.jpg
Ok, I am so excited that all three of these projects are now complete.
851889 851890 851891
For my unset paraibas, it's two down, with two left to go.
PXL_20210902_235541708.jpg
However, due to finances, I think I will wait a month or two.

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Men's Brooches
    Men's Brooches - 10/15
    5 Inspiring Jewelry Designers
    5 Inspiring Jewelry Designers - 10/13
    Natural Diamond Prices - October 2021
    Natural Diamond Prices - October 2021 - 10/12

Holloway Cut Advisor