shape
carat
color
clarity

Visited Leon Mege, Taffin, Garrard, Cartier, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
I just spent the whole weekend meeting with different jewelers in NYC. We visited Leon Mege, Taffin (James de Givenchy), Garrard, Cartier, and Mimi So. We had some idea of what we wanted made, but were open to suggestions. As many of you might already know, the stone is a 1.93 carat Royal Asscher, D VVS2. I want the form of the setting to be very simple, with micro-pave all over. Here''s some comments on the experience, if anyone''s interested. By each name I''ve listed the approximate price asked for the design parameters I provided.

1. Leon Mege (~$5,000). I was pleasantly surprised by Leon''s very friendly and patient demeanor. His expertise and knowledge are obvious. We spent about an hour discussing the possibilities for my diamond and concluded with a few designs to think about. Of all the places we visited, he showed us the most delicate micro-pave examples (bands as thin as 1.5mm across), and, other than Mimi So, he is the only one that would create my ring on premise. Perhaps only Taffin''s work exceeded his in craftmanship. His atelier was the least fancy of all the ones we visited, but that shouldn''t really matter. His price is also by far the lowest. I''m heavily leaning toward going with Leon. However, many of his original designs do not match the aesthetic refinement of the other jewelers we visited.

2. Taffin ($10,000). Very impressive atelier. The taste level of James'' jewelry is exceptional and most in line with my own preferences. James was very helpful and showed us a few engagement rings he created. The micro-pave was the most well-finished that we saw; though Leon''s comes close, if not matching it. Of course, Taffin''s work is done off-premise in four or five workshops throughout the city. Who knows, maybe Leon does some of it? Anyway, I have no doubt that either Leon or Taffin could create the ring I want; the issue is price. Taffin''s base price for any commission is $10,000. Is a Taffin ring worth a $5,000 premium? I think there are some advantages. Leon seems like a nice, trustworthy guy, but I would trust Taffin more to handle the design details that I haven''t thought of. I trust James to steer me away from poor choices more than any of the other jewelers we met. Also, I love Taffin''s jewelry, and I know my girlfriend likes it; perhaps, it would be nice to start building a business relationship with the firm now. But is all that worth $5,000 more? I''m hoping he will budge on the price. We''ll see.

4. Garrard ($10,000+). The sales associate who met with us was very friendly but had failed to get us the adequate information we needed by the time of our appointment. For example. two weeks ago she had promised to have a few examples of the firm''s micro-pave rings and a price quote available. I checked in a few times during the interim and was assured that everything would be ready. Of course, there were no examples and no price quote, just a few computer drawings from London. The pave I saw at the atelier was frankly not up to par with what I saw at Leon''s or at Taffin. And I was a little dismayed to find out that to do micro-pave with small enough stones, they''d have to send the ring to Los Angeles to be made because they don''t have the expertise necessary in their own London workshop. Is it the case that the crafstmen most skilled in micro-pave are now in the U.S.? Plausible. But, while there was no specific quote, I was told that micro-pave like what I saw at Leon''s or Taffin would cost at least $10,000. That''s absurd. Anyway, I didn''t like any of their house designs. Very gaudy stuff. Someone should fire Jade Jagger (if she''s still in charge). The only way I''d go with Garrard is if the price is far lower than the estimate and the work is stellar.

5. Cartier (???). We dropped in on a whim, knowing that their policy is to not do work with clients'' stones, and didn''t take ''no'' for an answer. After showing the sales manager the stone and GIA report, he admitted it was quite nice and was willing to call Paris to see if they could make an exception for it. He was very friendly and promises to get back to me early this week. I have no idea what this would cost, but the micro-pave they have in store is excellent and I''d sleep a little better with Carter''s guarantee behind my ring.

6. Mimi So (???). Very rude sales associate. She just stared at me and didn''t offer any information that I didn''t have to squeeze out of her. They supposedly cannot do three-sided micro-pave on a band less than 2.5 mm across; what I saw was unremarkable. When I asked about what technique they use for their micro-pave, she had no idea what I was talking about and only remarked "What we have is what you see." Useless. When I asked her if they have an example of the kind of ring they''d for my stone as according to my preferences, she reached under the display case without looking, put a ring in front of me, and said, "Here''s what we do." When I pointed out that the ring she showed me had no micro-pave, had side stones, and was made for a round brilliant diamond, she said, "You can''t expect to see an example of a ring we haven''t made for you yet." She clearly had better things to do with her time, and so did we, so we got up and left.

Anyway that''s that. If there''s anyone else to see in NYC, I''d be happy to hear about them. The main dilemma now is to settle on a few design details: (1) rounded three-sided micro-pave band or square, milgrained three-sided micro-pave band, (2) single or double prong, and (3) micro-pave prongs or plain prongs. At least we know it can be done, no matter what I go with; it''s just a matter of picking someone to do it.

widget

Ideal_Rock
VERY VERY INTERESTING. Thanks, fanboy.
35.gif

Sounds like you had quite a day...

widget

yellowsparkles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the update. very interseting. I think you should go for Leon, and show us the pics when its done!!
36.gif
36.gif

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know how Leon''s workmanship stacks up against others in the industry?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may have been covered on another thread, but is she planning on wearing a wedding band with this ring? if so, 3 sided pave may be a problem. Also, how thin are you planning to go on the shank?

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
WOW, thanks!

Very fascinating *glimpse* into a world some of us may never get to see. Thanks for posting!

Can''t wait to see what you end up with!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/17/2007 1:24:08 PM
Author:fanboy
I just spent the whole weekend meeting with different jewelers in NYC. We visited Leon Mege, Taffin (James de Givenchy), Garrard, Cartier, and Mimi So. We had some idea of what we wanted made, but were open to suggestions. As many of you might already know, the stone is a 1.93 carat Royal Asscher, D VVS2. I want the form of the setting to be very simple, with micro-pave all over. Here''s some comments on the experience, if anyone''s interested. By each name I''ve listed the approximate price asked for the design parameters I provided.

1. Leon Mege (~$5,000). I was pleasantly surprised by Leon''s very friendly and patient demeanor. His expertise and knowledge are obvious. We spent about an hour discussing the possibilities for my diamond and concluded with a few designs to think about. Of all the places we visited, he showed us the most delicate micro-pave examples (bands as thin as 1.5mm across), and, other than Mimi So, he is the only one that would create my ring on premise. Perhaps only Taffin''s work exceeded his in craftmanship. His atelier was the least fancy of all the ones we visited, but that shouldn''t really matter. His price is also by far the lowest. I''m heavily leaning toward going with Leon. However, many of his original designs do not match the aesthetic refinement of the other jewelers we visited.

2. Taffin ($10,000). Very impressive atelier. The taste level of James'' jewelry is exceptional and most in line with my own preferences. James was very helpful and showed us a few engagement rings he created. The micro-pave was the most well-finished that we saw; though Leon''s comes close, if not matching it. Of course, Taffin''s work is done off-premise in four or five workshops throughout the city. Who knows, maybe Leon does some of it? Anyway, I have no doubt that either Leon or Taffin could create the ring I want; the issue is price. Taffin''s base price for any commission is $10,000. Is a Taffin ring worth a $5,000 premium? I think there are some advantages. Leon seems like a nice, trustworthy guy, but I would trust Taffin more to handle the design details that I haven''t thought of. I trust James to steer me away from poor choices more than any of the other jewelers we met. Also, I love Taffin''s jewelry, and I know my girlfriend likes it; perhaps, it would be nice to start building a business relationship with the firm now. But is all that worth $5,000 more? I''m hoping he will budge on the price. We''ll see.

4. Garrard ($10,000+). The sales associate who met with us was very friendly but had failed to get us the adequate information we needed by the time of our appointment. For example. two weeks ago she had promised to have a few examples of the firm''s micro-pave rings and a price quote available. I checked in a few times during the interim and was assured that everything would be ready. Of course, there were no examples and no price quote, just a few computer drawings from London. The pave I saw at the atelier was frankly not up to par with what I saw at Leon''s or at Taffin. And I was a little dismayed to find out that to do micro-pave with small enough stones, they''d have to send the ring to Los Angeles to be made because they don''t have the expertise necessary in their own London workshop. Is it the case that the crafstmen most skilled in micro-pave are now in the U.S.? Plausible. But, while there was no specific quote, I was told that micro-pave like what I saw at Leon''s or Taffin would cost at least $10,000. That''s absurd. Anyway, I didn''t like any of their house designs. Very gaudy stuff. Someone should fire Jade Jagger (if she''s still in charge). The only way I''d go with Garrard is if the price is far lower than the estimate and the work is stellar.

5. Cartier (???). We dropped in on a whim, knowing that their policy is to not do work with clients'' stones, and didn''t take ''no'' for an answer. After showing the sales manager the stone and GIA report, he admitted it was quite nice and was willing to call Paris to see if they could make an exception for it. He was very friendly and promises to get back to me early this week. I have no idea what this would cost, but the micro-pave they have in store is excellent and I''d sleep a little better with Carter''s guarantee behind my ring.

6. Mimi So (???). Very rude sales associate. She just stared at me and didn''t offer any information that I didn''t have to squeeze out of her. They supposedly cannot do three-sided micro-pave on a band less than 2.5 mm across; what I saw was unremarkable. When I asked about what technique they use for their micro-pave, she had no idea what I was talking about and only remarked ''What we have is what you see.'' Useless. When I asked her if they have an example of the kind of ring they''d for my stone as according to my preferences, she reached under the display case without looking, put a ring in front of me, and said, ''Here''s what we do.'' When I pointed out that the ring she showed me had no micro-pave, had side stones, and was made for a round brilliant diamond, she said, ''You can''t expect to see an example of a ring we haven''t made for you yet.'' She clearly had better things to do with her time, and so did we, so we got up and left.

Anyway that''s that. If there''s anyone else to see in NYC, I''d be happy to hear about them. The main dilemma now is to settle on a few design details: (1) rounded three-sided micro-pave band or square, milgrained three-sided micro-pave band, (2) single or double prong, and (3) micro-pave prongs or plain prongs. At least we know it can be done, no matter what I go with; it''s just a matter of picking someone to do it.
If you are able to convince Cartier...., You cant go wrong as long as you love their designs.
Taffin on the other hand is a rising star when it comes to jewelry design/creativity both in his metalworks and the Gems he incorperates in his designs...

It could be a great investment!!! see the writing about James de Givenchy under the title "Contemporary Jewels" in the following Christie''s link.

http://www.christies.com/special_sites/jewellery_2006/trends.asp

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the report. I found it fascinating. Can''t wait to see your finished product.

a

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Re shank thickness: if I go with three-sided micro-pave, it will be 1.6-1.7mm; if I go with three-sided milgrain pave, it will be about 1.8mm. Essentially, I''m trying to go as thin as reasonable.

I''m leaning more toward the micro-pave and against the milgrain. But if I go with the micro-pave, I can''t really do the double prongs anymore (unless they are done without pave). To do double prongs with pave, the rest of the ring would have to be done three-sided with an edge, rather than rounded.

Anyone have any opinions for/against single or double prongs in this application?

Re Taffin: I''d be thrilled to go with James if his price weren''t so high. We''ll see if he can come down a little, but I have a feeling there''s very little room for bargaining. It''s not like he needs my business.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and yes, she will be wearing a wedding band with the ring--or so I think. I understand there are potential issues, but at worst she can wear the engagement ring on her other hand.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very comprehensive report, many thanks!! Can''t wait to see the ring!!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/17/2007 5:10:20 PM
Author: fanboy
Oh, and yes, she will be wearing a wedding band with the ring--or so I think. I understand there are potential issues, but at worst she can wear the engagement ring on her other hand.

I would strongly suggest that you find out her preferences for this BEFORE you spend $5-10k on a setting. It is a thing that is very important to many women, so I wouldn''t brush it off unless you know it''s not important to her.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, what a wonderful experience. It must have been incredible to see all of those places and that much high end work. Given your choices, I''d go with leon. His designs are beautiful and his craftsmanship is the best I''ve ever seen. It definitely is better craftsmanship than the tiffany and cartier pieces, and if Taffin is better it''s probably not 5k better.

winnie

Rough_Rock
i honestly think that 10k for a setting is a bit much- i would go with leon- i think u will love your ring...

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/17/2007 7:32:10 PM
Author: kcoursolle
Wow, what a wonderful experience. It must have been incredible to see all of those places and that much high end work. Given your choices, I''d go with leon. His designs are beautiful and his craftsmanship is the best I''ve ever seen. It definitely is better craftsmanship than the tiffany and cartier pieces, and if Taffin is better it''s probably not 5k better.
Kcoursolle...

May I ask on what basis you state this fact?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 7:49:55 AM
Author: DiaGem

Kcoursolle...

The pictures of leon''s pave work under a loupe look more refined and detailed than the pave on the legacy styles and novo styles from tiffany that I have examined in person. It was a bit of a generaled statement...but I''m always underwhelmed by the platinum work from both tiffany and cartier. They are well-made, but the finish of the rings doesn''t look at nice as a MM and the pave work doesn''t look as nice as a leon in my personal opinion.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/18/2007 2:50:48 PM

Date: 6/18/2007 7:49:55 AM
Author: DiaGem

Kcoursolle...

The pictures of leon''s pave work under a loupe look more refined and detailed than the pave on the legacy styles and novo styles from tiffany that I have examined in person. It was a bit of a generaled statement...but I''m always underwhelmed by the platinum work from both tiffany and cartier. They are well-made, but the finish of the rings doesn''t look at nice as a MM and the pave work doesn''t look as nice as a leon in my personal opinion.
So you state it based on Pictures vs. live examinations???

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
I can vouch for the superiority of Leon Mege's pave over Tiffany's. In general, Tiffany's pave is well-executed but doesn't come as delicate as Leon's. On the other hand, this is not to say that Tiffany's isn't capable of it. From my understanding, Tiffany's is a very conservative firm and, thus, pave/micro-pave figure sparingly in its engagement ring collections.

Cartier's micro-pave, on the other hand, was beautiful and every bit as fine as Leon's, as far as I could tell with my eyes.

Of course, I'm no expert and I wasn't carrying a loupe around.

EDIT: In fact, very few places I've visited would do a micro-pave band less than 2mm with diamonds on three sides. Only Leon Mege and Taffin said they could do it. Mimi So claimed it was impossible and Garrard said they'd never had such a request and don't typically offer such extensive and delicate pave work in their regular collection.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fascinating report!! You're making me ACHE to visit some of those places in person ... though I'm def not in the market for a piece like that right now (darnnnit!)
9.gif

I have to say -- for a guy who is analyzing at the MICRO MICRO level .. a statement like this seems pretty flippant. Just wanted to remind you of the big picture ... your fiance will be wearing this ring and it's gonna be a daily part of her life. If she does any typing (which most folks do: computers) she may not want to wear her e-ring on her right hand. Even if she THINKS she won't mind now ... it's so different from a fashion ring that you take on & off ... it impacts one's comfort & ability to wash hands & apply lotion etc etc. Your right hand gets a LOT more use than the left. Not sure I'd want a 2 carat RA in a delicate micro pave band on my right hand AT ALL. It's going to get a lot more wear that way -- be at risk for damage

NOT TO MENTION -- many women feel strongly about having the e-ring & band on the same finger. Wouldn't it be awful if you chose a three-sided pave band because it was your aesthetic fave only to find out it's not practical at all -- and doesn't allow her to wear her rings as she wishes, and ultimately ends up damaging the ring you're working so hard to be "perfect".

I think you're focusing on aesthetics to the exclusion of practicality & sentimentality & perhaps even HER desires/needs/comfort.

Take a wee step back. You're a considerate man with flawless taste & I'm sure you'll make a wise decision!

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/18/2007 2:58:00 PM
I can vouch for the superiority of Leon Mege''s pave over Tiffany''s. In general, Tiffany''s pave is well-executed but doesn''t come as delicate as Leon''s. On the other hand, this is not to say that Tiffany''s isn''t capable of it. From my understanding, Tiffany''s is a very conservative firm and, thus, pave/micro-pave figure sparingly in their engagement ring collections.

Cartier''s micro-pave, on the other hand, was beautiful and every bit as fine as Leon''s, as far as I could tell with my eyes.

Of course, I''m no expert and I wasn''t carrying a loupe around.

EDIT: In fact, very few places I''ve visited would do a micro-pave band less than 2mm with diamonds on three sides. Only Leon Mege and Taffin said they could do it. Mimi So claimed it was impossible and Garrard said they''d never had such a request and don''t typically offer such extensive and delicate pave work in their regular collection.
I understand....

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:00:20 PM
Author: decodelighted
Fascinating report!! You''re making me ACHE to visit some of those places in person ... though I''m def not in the market for a piece like that right now (darnnnit!)
9.gif

I have to say -- for a guy who is analyzing at the MICRO MICRO level .. a statement like this seems pretty flippant. Just wanted to remind you of the big picture ... your fiance will be wearing this ring and it''s gonna be a daily part of her life. If she does any typing (which most folks do: computers) she may not want to wear her e-ring on her right hand. Even if she THINKS she won''t mind now ... it''s so different from a fashion ring that you take on & off ... it impacts one''s comfort & ability to wash hands & apply lotion etc etc. Your right hand gets a LOT more use than the left. Not sure I''d want a 2 carat RH in a delicate micro pave band on my right hand AT ALL. It''s going to get a lot more wear that way -- be at risk for damage

NOT TO MENTION -- many women feel strongly about having the e-ring & band on the same finger. Wouldn''t it be awful if you chose a three-sided pave band because it was your aesthetic fave only to find out it''s not practical at all -- and doesn''t allow her to wear her rings as she wishes, and ultimately ends up damaging the ring you''re working so hard to be ''perfect''.

I think you''re focusing on aesthetics to the exclusion of practicality & sentimentality & perhaps even HER desires/needs/comfort.

Take a wee step back. You''re a considerate man with flawless taste & I''m sure you''ll make a wise decision!
Thanks for the advice. The practicality issue is certainly weighing on my mind. Does it make a difference that she wants a plain wedding band with no diamonds? From my understanding, you only have problems when both wedding and engagement rings have pave diamonds rubbing against each other.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
One more quick comment ...

Much of the super delicate micro pave work is being done for giant gems that aren''t being work everyday. Special occaision rings that spend more time in vaults than on working, moving, washing fingers.

Though the look is lovely -- whether it''s appropriate for a ring that''s worn everyday -- especially a ring that will be worn next to a wedding band -- is another story totally. Ask yourself WHY it isn''t done much. It''s not because people don''t appreciate the beauty & craftsmanship as much as you do ... Perhaps it''s because it''s not PRACTICAL.

A friend said to me when I was shopping for my own e-ring ... "now picture it covered in dog slobber & crumbs" -- that''s "real world" for ya!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:03:11 PM
Does it make a difference that she wants a plain wedding band with no diamonds? From my understanding, you only have problems when both wedding and engagement rings have pave diamonds rubbing against each other.
A plain band will get scratched up by the three-sided pave band next to it .. but plain bands can always be polished so that''s not a huge deal.

Have you looked at a plain band (even a thin one ... 1.5mm) next to one of those three-sided pave rings though?? I can''t recall one Pscoper who has made a plain band work with three-sided pave ring because, IMO, it rarely if ever looks "right". Also .. plain polished bands can diminish the look of Asscher stones -- because they''re so mirror-like shiny ... they compete for attention with the bold steps of the Asscher.

Anyway -- more food for thought.

Something some folks have done is TWO sided pave ...with a plain side where two rings meet. It might look a little "off" during the engagment period ... but when it''s paired with it''s "mate" -- gives the look of three sided pave w/o the maint. issues.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:07:52 PM

Ask yourself WHY it isn''t done much. It''s not because people don''t appreciate the beauty & craftsmanship as much as you do ... Perhaps it''s because it''s not PRACTICAL.

A friend said to me when I was shopping for my own e-ring ... ''now picture it covered in dog slobber & crumbs'' -- that''s ''real world'' for ya!
I didn''t mean to imply that other people don''t equally appreciate micro-pave, so I''m sorry if I came across as saying that.

I was under the impression that micro-pave is less popular because (1) it is more expensive to do correctly, and (2) it''s no longer on the cusp of fashion. A lot of my female friends in NYC all want an antique look with bigger pave, milgrain, floral cutouts and engravings, etc.

Is micro-pave really so much less practical? Replacing a loose melee stone every now and then doesn''t seem like a big deal. If the ring is actually weaker, than of course that''s worth considering.

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:13:40 PM
Have you looked at a plain band (even a thin one ... 1.5mm) next to one of those three-sided pave rings though?? I can''t recall one Pscoper who has made a plain band work with three-sided pave ring because, IMO, it rarely if ever looks ''right''. Also .. plain polished bands can diminish the look of Asscher stones -- because they''re so mirror-like shiny ... they compete for attention with the bold steps of the Asscher.

Anyway -- more food for thought.

Something some folks have done is TWO sided pave ...with a plain side where two rings meet. It might look a little ''off'' during the engagment period ... but when it''s paired with it''s ''mate'' -- gives the look of three sided pave w/o the maint. issues.
If we were going to do a pave wedding band, the two-sided approach makes sense. However, this is something I do know my girlfriend is adamant about. She wants a wedding band exactly to match mine (just smaller). During conversation she''s pointed out specifically that she''d rather have pave on the engagement ring and not on the wedding band.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with everything deco is saying. I was on a setting hunt for a very, very long time trying to find the right balance b/t the look of pave that I love and the very practical every day use/wear for my ring. I adore 3 sided pave rings, they are works of art, but choose a one sided pave ring for several reasons and cost was not one of them. 1) less pave to worry about popping out, less maintenance. 2) wearing a wedding band on the same hand was very important to me and I wanted to wear the set on my left hand so I opted for settings with one sides pave and matching one sided pave wedding bands. I agree with deco that 3 sided pave rings just don't look quite right paired with plain bands. I have a 5mm plain band I wear all the time and will wear when not wearing my wedding set.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:16:08 PM
Date: 6/18/2007 3:07:52 PM

Ask yourself WHY it isn''t done much. It''s not because people don''t appreciate the beauty & craftsmanship as much as you do ... Perhaps it''s because it''s not PRACTICAL.

A friend said to me when I was shopping for my own e-ring ... ''now picture it covered in dog slobber & crumbs'' -- that''s ''real world'' for ya!

I didn''t mean to imply that other people don''t equally appreciate micro-pave, so I''m sorry if I came across as saying that.

I was under the impression that micro-pave is less popular because (1) it is more expensive to do correctly, and (2) it''s no longer on the cusp of fashion. A lot of my female friends in NYC all want an antique look with bigger pave, milgrain, floral cutouts and engravings, etc.

Is micro-pave really so much less practical? Replacing a loose melee stone every now and then doesn''t seem like a big deal. If the ring is actually weaker, than of course that''s worth considering.

A bit of pave is perfectly fine, BUT a LOT of pave like you''re considering isn''t exactly practical unless your girl sits around and is fanned and fed grapes all day.

My ring gets banged around all the time, and it DOES get covered in dog slobber, etc. I also must take it off fairly often since I''m active outside. I haven''t had to replace pave yet, but I also only have one sided.

Just be sure that she wants a higher maintenance ering before you go through all the trouble of spending so much time and $ on a delicate wisp of a thing.

If she wants to wear it on the same hand (and I totally ditto deco''s entire post), you might really want to rethink the 3 sided pave. A plain band might look weird and even though it will be better than another with diamonds as far as wear, they still will knock around and wear.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/18/2007 3:16:08 PM
A three-side pave ring of 1.5-1.8mm *is* actually weaker that almost any other type or design of engagment ring no matter WHO the artist is. Some very skilled folks CAN do it ... but whether such a delicate piece is practical for everyday wear (i.e.--engagement rings) is a different story. No matter how skilled the artisan is -- there''s just so much less metal holding the diamonds in ... and, say, in three-sided pave -- that''s a super high diamonds to metal ratio.

Think about what you do with your hands during the day ... I know I give my engagement ring a few good whacks DAILY. Luckily, it''s a very sturdy tank-style ring! But just gripping a steering wheel or grocery cart handle ... or getting your ring stuck on your keys ... it''s a minefield for rings out there. I don''t think guys really realize it as much because they wear less jewelry. (I didn''t even realize it BEFORE I got my e-ring because I wasn''t a big jewelry wearer either).

Just some thoughts -- take it or leave it. I know whatever you pick out is going to be amazing because that stone sounds TO DIE FOR and your instincts are toward everything exceptional and refined!

fanboy

Shiny_Rock
Neatfreak, mrssalvo, decodelighted, and everyone else:

Wha'ts your opinion on bright-cut pave with milgrain vs. rounded micro-pave? I can imagine the former being very beautiful, but I don't want something that screams, "Antique!" Without the milgrain, I can't imagine the bright-cut pave looking 'finished'. But then, as my understanding goes, milgrain was created in the first place to hide finishing defects so perhaps the more pure design would leave it out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results