shape
carat
color
clarity

Virtue Signaling

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If anyone wanted to add prayers in their religion they are welcome to do so in that one thread on that one day.

If that's true, then a notification needs to be made somehow. I don't know how many people are aware that it is permissible to break the rule on that one day for that one tragic event. If a statement was made about that nearly 20 yrs ago, new members won't be aware and long time members might not remember. It wasn't just christians who died that day and I think being as inclusive as possible is fair and respectful. Since it's your thread and your tradition to post it every year, I think the onus is on you to work out something with admin. Again, just imo and thanks for your consideration.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Matata I will take that under consideration for next year.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say this completely facetiously, but if people are scared of saying ‘nice’ things for fear of being accused of virtue signalling, and are also hesitant/scared/not wanting to say nasty things for fear of being rude/obnoxious/banned, then hangout will be deathly quiet and we’ll start to see the tumbleweeds rolling!

(sensible response to follow!)

I'm reminded of a time when people suggested that anything sad or negative should be kept to yourself and not posted online. People don't want to hear stuff that isn't happy. Some years later, it turned around and others were saying people who posted happy stuff -- be it photos of food, places they visited, etc -- were insincere and misleading about their lives.

Conversation dies. I still find myself posting less in most places because I don't want to hear about how I am negative or how I am too happy and make others feel bad.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I say this completely facetiously, but if people are scared of saying ‘nice’ things for fear of being accused of virtue signalling, and are also hesitant/scared/not wanting to say nasty things for fear of being rude/obnoxious/banned, then hangout will be deathly quiet and we’ll start to see the tumbleweeds rolling!

(sensible response to follow!)

Some might say this is the exact outcome of 'Political Correctness' - people are scared to say nice things in case it is misinterpreted, and scared to say potentially controversial / opposing things because it might cause offence, which means people either say nothing or only empty platitudes!

[/controversial]

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are different degrees of virtue signaling. Mild degree people don't bother me too much. But those who do if frequently or are over the top make me hit "ignore" in my brain. I can't take these people seriously. For example, the person who said "This virus is a blessing in disguise" when we were discussing a project.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My opinion: Virtue signalling is a real thing, and yes it can be annoying.

I have perceived it both in religious and secular contexts.

My two cents.

Anne

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're referring to me, I didn't say I hate it, I said it makes me :rolleyes:. And it doesn't make me :rolleyes: all of the time.

Hi Matata, yes, your comment started me thinking about it and so I started this thread. Sorry I misinterpreted your comment. I wasn't disagreeing with you.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm reminded of a time when people suggested that anything sad or negative should be kept to yourself and not posted online. People don't want to hear stuff that isn't happy. Some years later, it turned around and others were saying people who posted happy stuff -- be it photos of food, places they visited, etc -- were insincere and misleading about their lives.

Conversation dies. I still find myself posting less in most places because I don't want to hear about how I am negative or how I am too happy and make others feel bad.

Yes that is sad. I urge you to reconsider and post what you want to and let those who enjoy reading what you have to say do so and those who don't can just not read it. IDK I try not to let others dictate to me what I can write/say. And by the same token I would ignore those who are unpleasant or only criticize with nothing helpful to add.

Personally I love hearing about happy experiences and I am always here to be a shoulder to cry on if need be too. Not just the good but the bad and the in between. I sort of feel like PS is a family in a way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had to Google this and to be honest I'm not sure what the issue is.

Say for example if people are nasty to their dogs I'll pox them for a thousand years. That's truly how I feel. I don't think it makes me saintly since it's probably not good to pox people.

There was a neighbor in my childhood who had a dog. Poor thing was locked in the yard and had fleas. The fleas so bad it developed a severe skin condition. Of course she didn't take it to the vet.

She was at our house one day declaring how clever she was at getting rid of the dog. She put a blind fold on it, drove it somewhere unknown and released it.

I poxed her. Oh I poxed her good. I wished her every bad thing under the sun.

About ten years later I learned that she died alone of a heart attack and her body wasn't discovered for days. I got great satisfaction from that and told my parents so despite my mother telling me God was going to curse me
for being smug that someone died.

I cannot click onto your link but just from what you wrote I would feel the same way. If someone hurts animals or children all "rules" are out the door. I won't apologize for it either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think "virtue signaling" is along the same lines as "humble bragging," a sneaky way of tooting one's own horn. Which is, of course, annoying. But it's also somewhat subjective if someone is really doing that or not.

Humble bragging. LOL love it. It's an oxymoron and I always enjoy those. I don't enjoy morons however but I digress. :)

And yes, it is subjective though there are exceptions where yeah, it is pretty obvious. But most of it is more subtle and as you write subjective. Intent matters.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My $.02, it's gross when done by a company that has not supported a particular cause until it became popular.

IE: All the companies coming out in support of BLM who never gave a damn before it became popular.

Specifically heinous: Nike sponsoring equality and justice for all, while manufacturing shoes and clothing in sweat shop conditions paying pennies per day in wages.

Yup. Insincere virtue signaling :nono:
I saw a lot of that with regards to the BLM movement.
Hypocrites.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its hurting my head
i think its way above me
what ever it is, but if its bad id be pretty sure Missy doesn't actually do it and never ever deliberately

Thanks sweet Daisy. <3

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of posters are afraid to be authentic bc we have seen some posters harshly criticized for having a differing opinion or reaction than the “moral majority” on PS. No one likes to be piled on, ganged up on, etc by the moral police. So I’m not surprised people do resort to virtue signaling—consciously or subconsciously.

That's true. It's distressing when this happens. No one would like this to happen to them so I wish they would think twice before piling on. Do unto others you know and all that jazz. We are all adults here. Freedom of speech should be encouraged. Not dampened down.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the whole “virtue signaling” thing gained traction recently in the context of face masks - the argument made was “face masks don’t really do anything, therefor if you wear one you are merely virtue signaling.”

Obviously I’m not going to debate (or requesting debate) on the virtues of face masks. But I do think the “virtue signaling” argument is often used against expressions of liberal values. As someone noted above, it seems to be an extension of “political correctness” barbs. And at times, I think it may be a defensive move to distract from the speaker’s lack of action or empathy.

That doesn’t mean of course that people don’t do sanctimonious, or self-righteous things, or that they don’t brag or like to be seen in a good light. But the term “virtue signaling” seems to carry more of an element of shaming or discrediting by saying that the actions are ALL ABOUT making the actor/speaker look virtuous, when in reality many actions are fueled by mixed motivations.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Off topic: At first glance I thought it was Virtual Signalling and I was super confused as to why people thought you were sending subliminal messages on the internet @missy

I was like: So weird I didn't think Missy was one for sending high tech subliminal messages (if such a thing even exists!).

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found being authentic on this board only got one into trouble, so much for that.

I've thought about this question Missy and if I do it, I don't know it.. But allowing thinks as 'like' 'love' 'care' etc on FB allows tons of virtue signaling,. I think we all can have done it. I don't worry too much about it, and being our authentic self's in life can get one into trouble, we all must conform to the 'rules' here and in life. You are authentic.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
I think we all seek our tribe. Whether that is political, religious, demographic, socio-economic, I think we do it instinctively, and double down when the world is an intense and anxious period.

Do I virtue signal? probably so, but I try not to do it. Usually though, it's based on some sort of wish find common ground.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Off topic: At first glance I thought it was Virtual Signalling and I was super confused as to why people thought you were sending subliminal messages on the internet @missy

I was like: So weird I didn't think Missy was one for sending high tech subliminal messages (if such a thing even exists!).

Virtual signaling sounds like an interesting game.

download.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a blunt tactless Aussie, there IS no virtue signalling here..... I don't feel the need to people please, to fit in, or to say what is polite or expected :lol: People either find that refreshing or offensive, either way I don't particularly care!!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a blunt tactless Aussie, there IS no virtue signalling here..... I don't feel the need to people please, to fit in, or to say what is polite or expected :lol: People either find that refreshing or offensive, either way I don't particularly care!!!

Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 6.15.03 PM.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
virtuesignalingmeme.jpg

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I've never been a fan of sanctimonious, holier than thou types. What irritates me now is the demonization of past historical figures, i.e. George Washington was a jerk because he owned slaves. As I told my daughter, in the future we're all going to be vilified for driving around in contraptions that spew carbon monoxide, nitrogen oxides and fluorocarbons.

I get tired of people signaling how woke they are by accusing previous generations of behavior frowned upon in the 21st century.

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock
@Karl_K under the old owners? Maybe it's time to you get re permitted since the rules are allegedly being applied in a strict way. And if that happens, I think it would be nice if you somehow worded it to include at least the 3 major world religions instead of just christianity. Thanks in advance for considering that.

No im not; but one thread, one day a year is. I rec'd permission many many years ago.

For those of you that don’t know what “virtue signaling” is, this reply is a perfect example. M is signaling that she is more virtuous than K because she would have made sure the 3 big religions would be represented in the 9/11 thread.

Virtue signaling (noun)
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue

If I were to raise your ‘virtue signal’ with my own, I would say, “but M, what about the 4th, 5th, and 6th religions of the world?! Don’t they matter?!”

Also, weren’t politics banned on PS? But it’s okay to talk about groups that give money to political parties if “we” deem them virtuous?!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bwahaha :evil2:
Shhhhhh :shhh: let’s keep it our little secret. :)

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock
See it here, Facebook and on any political discussion. Virtue signaling, moral grandstanding isn't difficult to spot. It's all about telling someone else that they, their views, whatever, are inferior to yours.... They believe they have some moral "highground" over you.... They insinuate or directly declare things such as: "if you voted for blah, you must be a <insert insults>. If you don't agree with (virtuous, wonderful) me on this issue or pledge allegiance to a particular organization that I agree with, then you must be a..<insert more insults>...."

Moral Grandstanding. Or: Why I’m a better person than you… | by Ethan Milne | Curious | Aug, 2020 | Medium

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For those of you that don’t know what “virtue signaling” is, this reply is a perfect example. M is signaling that she is more virtuous than K because she would have made sure the 3 big religions would be represented in the 9/11 thread.

If I were virtue signaling I would said "If I had made the 9/11 post, I would have made sure to include at least the 3 big religions because I understand that inclusivity is important and I make sure that I'm as inclusive as possible in all that I do." But that is just hypothetical because I'm atheist and would have made no reference to any religion if I had made the original post.

Virtue signaling (noun)
the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue

If I were to raise your ‘virtue signal’ with my own, I would say, “but M, what about the 4th, 5th, and 6th religions of the world?! Don’t they matter?!”

Those religions do matter and that's why I said "at least". Did you read the entirety of my exchange with Karl? He said per an agreement he made years ago with PS owners, anyone of any religion was free to post in that thread which I don't believe is common knowledge. So I asked him to consider discussing with admin making a notation of that next year so anyone of any religion can add their prayers to the thread rendering moot your concern about all religions beyond the 3 major ones.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I think a lot of people have too much time on their hands and spend it trying to find fault with one another.

I wish people wouldn't always assume the worst in others. I see it a lot in both online and in real life.

When someone mentions they've given to a charity, for example, I don't assume they are bragging. Or, if a friend says they always wash their face each morning, comb their hair and try to dress nicely each day even when they work from home, I like hearing that and I don't think it is bragging. Both of these examples inspire me to do positive things in my own life.

I find buzz words like "virtue signaling" to be tedious.

Stop picking at each other y'all! Stop the negative spiral and spend that extra time/energy enjoying life or working towards a goal or helping others or napping or whatever. Life goes fast, don't waste time tearing each other down over trivial stuff.

I hope people don't become afraid to speak about the things they do, whether positive or negative, if its in the right context and with a good intent. I like hearing other's stories and I learn from other experiences.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results