carat
color
clarity

Violet diamonds

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are very rare and here's proof.
This guy's only 7 points and the cut is, well, see for yourself - but someone's going to gobble this little guy right up.

GIA says it does have some gray.
(Imagine a white diamond of this size and cut. :knockout: )

Still, if it has to have gray, at least Grayish Violet is the most-violet (least-gray) of all the possible combinations.

Violetish Gray (most gray)
Violet Gray
Gray Violet
Grayish Violet (most violet)

http://www.fancydiamonds.net/view_diamonds/5168.htm

Mine is below:
Don't you agree the color of mine is inferior, as in less violet and more gray?
The distribution of color in mine is inferior too.
If I was a real FCD collector I'd trade mine for the one above . . . but that CUT! :blackeye:
Why, Oh Why, did I grow up on Rocky Talk? ;(

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 11.22.37 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 11.21.43 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 11.21.34 AM.png

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 11.30.06 AM.png

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, you can kill me Kenny for not appreciating the rarity of the color, but when I looked at it, I thought it was the rough. I would never be able to get past that cut. Yours while grayer, is at least a diamond, the other just looks like a purplish rock. I know I just blasphemed in the world of colored diamonds, :shock: :shock: :shock: but I just can't help myself... ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So are you going to get it Kenny? :naughty:

If you do, act quick, as you know how rare the color is, and how it will be snatched up.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WHAAAAAA! MOMMIEEEEEE! Why couldn't the cut be better?

Dang! I hope someone buys it fast so I can stop obsessing over it.
I'm really at the stage of the flipping a coin. :o
If I didn't have a nicer violet already I could forget about it; but color-wise THIS seems to be the nicer one. :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

aq.jpg

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sorry for my question... never bought colored diamonds. Can one actually see 7 points?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
crasru|1307047493|2936420 said:
I am sorry for my question... never bought colored diamonds. Can one actually see 7 points?

Oh yes, especially if the color is saturated.

In the FCD world, unless you have Oprah's budget, you adjust your size expectations.
In the rarest colors you are just NOT going to find or afford a 1-ct, or even a half carat.

People who know FCDs know to focus on the color and that size takes more of a back seat than with white diamonds.
Sure bigger is better but in FCDs it's all about Color Color and Color and this one HAS the Color.

You know how we talk about dog-years?
I think of FCDs in FCD-carats.
1 FCD carat = 12 regular carats.
A saturated rare-color FCD can cost what a 10 - 15 ct white diamond costs.
I just went to Bluenile's huge database and found an Ideal cut round 3.57 ct AGS I SI2 for the same price I just paid for a 10-point red.
FCDs are a whole different world size-wize.

So in white diamond carats this 7-point is like a, 0.90 carat diamond.

Here's a pic I took that includes an average-size man's hand for size reference.
The Fancy Intense Greenish Blue pear at the bottom is 8-points.
Also pears face up large for their weight, though this bulky 7-pt under consideration may not.

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 1.47.08 PM.png

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well the colour is amazing but scheesh it looks like it was cut by cavemen! :-o

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Kenny, you seem to like displaying your FCDs as a group. How do you think this stone will look along side of the rest of them? It may be a great color, but that cut is going to stand out like a sore thumb next to your others (IMHO), but take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't own any FCDs :sick:

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
I would love a tiny, round, 5 pt. great-colored violet one, not so grayish, to give to a Violet (human ;-) ), I know. What's your source if you don't mind divulging...and what's the ball park range of what I have in mind?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
backwardsandinheels|1307063452|2936584 said:
I would love a tiny, round, 5 pt. great-colored violet one, not so grayish, to give to a Violet (human ;-) ), I know. What's your source if you don't mind divulging...and what's the ball park range of what I have in mind?

The source for all the 16 FCD's I've bought has been Leibish & Co. . . . www.fancydiamonds.net

Pure violet is exceedingly rare and will be very expensive.
Maybe 5 grand or 10 grand, maybe more, maybe much more.
It's not like there are lots of examples of what pure violet diamonds have sold for.

When Stephen Hofer wrote his 1998 742-pg seminal volume, Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds he left out a section on violet becuase he had never encountered a pure violet diamond.

You may email them and ask what the price would be, if one even ever turns up during your lifetime.

It is more likely you'll find a grayish violet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's reserved Kenny. Did you cave in? :naughty:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1307064494|2936593 said:
It's reserved Kenny. Did you cave in? :naughty:

I'd be lion if I said I didn't.

lion.jpeg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
colorluvr|1307062363|2936571 said:
Kenny, you seem to like displaying your FCDs as a group. How do you think this stone will look along side of the rest of them? It may be a great color, but that cut is going to stand out like a sore thumb next to your others (IMHO), but take my opinion with a grain of salt because I don't own any FCDs :sick:

True dat.
But the new Fancy Intense Orangy Pink heart also has wonky cutting and I1 clarity.
Still, I think the fresh unusual color helps the family portrait more than the cutting hurts it.

Screen shot 2011-06-02 at 9.22.32 PM.png

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd consider it too Kenny.

FallenRox

Shiny_Rock
I had to check in when I saw it was reserved. Had a sneaking suspicion.... lol

=) I'dda done it too if I was in a position to, but I have a serious weakness for purple. Gratz!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
:appl: Can hardly wait to see your photos of it Kenny!

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here's pure Violet for you Kenny. Fancy Deep Violet to be exact..........:)

violet1.jpg

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that's pretty !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
David is that FDV H for sale?
Specs and price please.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Kenny, when I said you could borrow my red diamond I didn't mean you could keep it. :cheeky:

Lurve the he new Fancy Intense Orangy Pink heart and looking forward to what you come up with next! :saint:

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hoping Kenny gets the Violet heart above, so adorable !

dkodner

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Sorry Kenny, not for sale, just under a carat.....and of course, it looks much nicer in person...

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Gaaaaah that collection is unfrickin' believable :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl: :appl: :appl:
:wacko: So thankful that you share this with us. And thanks for your answer, maybe I'll lower expectations down to a 3 pointer??

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dkodner|1307141033|2937227 said:
Sorry Kenny, not for sale, just under a carat.....and of course, it looks much nicer in person...

David, if a FDV just under a carat were for sale (not that heart, a hypothetical one) what would be the price range . . . oh . . . give or take a few hundred thou?

Is pure violet more rare than pure red?
GIA has 9 saturation/Tone levels but for pure red only one, Fancy Red.
Does GIA have all 9 saturation levels for pure violet?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Imdanny|1307139371|2937197 said:
Kenny, when I said you could borrow my red diamond I didn't mean you could keep it. :cheeky:

Lurve the he new Fancy Intense Orangy Pink heart and looking forward to what you come up with next! :saint:
Thanks Danny that FIoP Heart IS a killer color!!!, but you sholdn't have mailed me that red just to look at.
Now you'll never get it back. :twisted:

Did you see the pic of the FIoP's hot pink florescence?
That rock blows my mind.

Screen shot 2011-06-03 at 4.14.47 PM.png

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Kenny - do you have a thread/link to the orangy-pink heart? That is some color !

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonomacounty|1307143322|2937268 said:
Kenny - do you have a thread/link to the orangy-pink heart? That is some color !

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/fancy-colored-diamond-collection.159746/[/URL]

That's my FCD thread but the only 2 pics I have so far of the new FIOrangy Pink and the new Fancy Red are posted above.
That link also has the Leibish listings.

Don't look at the cutting, the windowing or the clarity :knockout: . . . but isn't that color to astonishing?

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Wow!

Kenny, I'm just curious- do you feel that you'll get to a point where you are done and have a "collection" or do you think this will be a continual work in progress?

In any case your collection and shots are great. Me and SO- we lurves the eye candy!

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, forgot one more thing-why are they cut so poorly if they're so rare and special?

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
HotPozzum|1307061022|2936559 said:
Well the colour is amazing but scheesh it looks like it was cut by cavemen! :-o

Perfect description!

Kenny--do you have any plans for those fantastic stones?--or are you going to keep them in the collectors boxes? If I owned them I'd HAVE to incorporate them into something I could see EVERY DAY because they are beyond beautiful.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results