shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage sea foam green aquamarine ring

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
View attachment 690978 View attachment 690979 View attachment 690980 Newbie here. Long time lurker first time poster.

I am a huge aquamarine junkie. I have multiple aqua rings. There is just something about them... Anyhow, I have always been drawn to the lighter colors-not goshenite pale but the icy blues...especially Cinderalla dress blue.

But this beauty really caught my eye so I bought it. The seller (Now and Forever on Ruby Lane) listed it as a vintage unheated natural aquamarine ring. Its definitely sea foam/minty green. I do love it. I really like the setting too. I had a jeweler confirm that its an aqua but the color is unusual (at least for me). I haven't seen one like this before. Just wanted some other aqua lovers thoughts. :) Thanks!

8x10mm stone. 14kt white gold setting with three tiny diamonds on each shoulder. Stamped "Romany"

Sorry for crummy photos and dry abused hands!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
I don’t see a photo, but the minty green stones from the beryl family that I have seen have been called simply beryl. I have one from Pakistan and another from Nigeria.

The vendor called my beryl from Pakistan Chrome Beryl. And I have seen Minty green beryl from Nigeria called Vanadium Emerald because the source of the color is from vanadium, not chrome.

It’s all the same gem so I suppose a green beryl can be called green aqua.

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
Oops now I see the photos. It’s a pretty gem. That’s the color of my two green beryls.

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I don’t see a photo, but the minty green stones from the beryl family that I have seen have been called simply beryl. I have one from Pakistan and another from Nigeria.

The vendor called my beryl from Pakistan Chrome Beryl. And I have seen Minty green beryl from Nigeria called Vanadium Emerald because the source of the color is from vanadium, not chrome.

It’s all the same gem so I suppose a green beryl can be called green aqua.
I tried to post photos. Hopefully they are viewable. Wow. Great information. Thank you!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful ring!!

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
The stone color is so pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a beryl similar to that color, but technically it’s not an aquamarine because it’s color comes from vanadium, not iron, like aqua. It’s just called green beryl, not to be confused with emerald ( gets its color from chromium). Aquas sometimes have a green to their blue color, but the green is driven away by heat, so you probably have an unheated stone there. There was a time when a greenish aqua wasn’t desirable, but not anymore. If anything, I think they’re more desirable these days.

Vanadium green beryl

IMG_5875.JPG

I never checked it for fluorescence, but I probably should. I think vanadium causes fluorescence. In any case, I bought it from a highly reputable precision lapidary who started with the rough.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As to the age of your ring, it could be a newer piece made to look vintage. Hard to tell since the metal looks so shiny and new. Maybe they repolished, replated? I never heard of the Romany stamp, probably the manufacturer?

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I have a beryl similar to that color, but technically it’s not an aquamarine because it’s color comes from vanadium, not iron, like aqua. It’s just called green beryl, not to be confused with emerald ( gets its color from chromium). Aquas sometimes have a green to their blue color, but the green is driven away by heat, so you probably have an unheated stone there. There was a time when a greenish aqua wasn’t desirable, but not anymore. If anything, I think they’re more desirable these days.

Vanadium green beryl

IMG_5875.JPG

I never checked it for fluorescence, but I probably should. I think vanadium causes fluorescence. In any case, I bought it from a highly reputable precision lapidary who started with the rough.
Wow. Love your ring-that stone in the setting is fit for a queen. So pretty!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I would love to see all your aquamarines, if you might find it fun to pile them up & take a few shots one day. There are still too few light blue-greens around here - even the few aquamarines are on the deeper blue side, with just a couple of recent exceptions, to be fair...

just a thought

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely ring! I love blue green aguas. They are just so interesting to look at. I
have a greenish unheated aqua that I shipped off to have set. Please post more pics of your aquas! I'd love to see them.
A697E312-9AC7-4CA5-B78B-66006D2C9631.jpeg
So pretty!!! Post pics when it’s done!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. Love your ring-that stone in the setting is fit for a queen. So pretty!
Thank you, but you have to see the Queen’s aquamarine tiara, brooch, and necklace given to her by the Brazilian government as a gift. Oh to be a real Queen.:love:

I digress. Back to the original thread.

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
Such a lovely ring! I love blue green aguas. They are just so interesting to look at. I
have a greenish unheated aqua that I shipped off to have set. Please post more pics of your aquas! I'd love to see them.
A697E312-9AC7-4CA5-B78B-66006D2C9631.jpeg
Heavens-that is heavenly! Can't wait to see that in its setting. Oooh. I will get my aquas together and ask my daughter (aka hand model) to help me out. Make sure to post pics!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
As to the age of your ring, it could be a newer piece made to look vintage. Hard to tell since the metal looks so shiny and new. Maybe they repolished, replated? I never heard of the Romany stamp, probably the manufacturer?
I did some more research. I found this:
Screenshot 2019-05-10 at 6.08.40 PM.png
Looks like the jewelers Stern & Stern used it in the 1930's. I accidentally cut off the stamp but its the same stamp as the one in my ring. This makes me happy!!

Sungura

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to the ring housing a beautiful (and big) gem with exquisite color, I love the setting. The proportions really appeal to me. Congrats!

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
In addition to the ring housing a beautiful (and big) gem with exquisite color, I love the setting. The proportions really appeal to me. Congrats!
Thank you! I love it too. :)

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
E5D62E19-3B7A-4D5A-838B-384DAA7CB8D4.jpeg I love the sea green Aquas. To me at least the Santa Marie blue is too similar to blue topaz.
I find sea foam green aquas almost mystical in their beauty.
I waited literally decades to find mine.

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
E5D62E19-3B7A-4D5A-838B-384DAA7CB8D4.jpeg I love the sea green Aquas. To me at least the Santa Marie blue is too similar to blue topaz.
I find sea foam green aquas almost mystical in their beauty.
I waited literally decades to find mine.
That is an amazing ring!! If I may ask-how did you finally find it? And where?

GardenLady21

Shiny_Rock
I love everything about your ring @GardenLady21
Thank you! I get to wear it to work tomorrow. I swear I will be up before the alarm goes off knowing I get to wear Lola. Does anyone else name their rings? That would be great thread idea!

Reactions: AV_

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful!! Love your new aqua! I’m with you, I’m a huge aquamarine lover. They have such a calm and subtle spirit about them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results