shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage ring ebay purchase

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
hello! Nice to meet you all!

I know its never a good idea to buy diamonds on ebay but something about this ring really appealed to me. Can someone explain the inside stamps for me please? I thought it said 18 kt , but with closer inspection it looks different or maybe its just a mistake and what does the 2 2 mean on other side? Also how old do you think it is?
Thank-you everyone!:kiss2: 20200506_162619.jpg 20200517_180222.jpg

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, I thought I had added more pics but didn't lol, sorry, not computer savvy here lol...

20200517_175024.jpg

20200514_171736.jpg

20200506_162702.jpg

20200506_162613.jpg

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It says Plat 1.80 I. Usually Plat means the ring is Platinum. It does not look antique to me, it looks like a modern replica. The diamond seems to be modern cut too.

Isobel

Shiny_Rock
So you would say its quite modern?

S

SallyB

I don’t know much about the age or markings except that it’s probably platinum and it’s very pretty!

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes i think it is modern. That is due to the markings and the style. Markings on an antique might say platinum, or older pieces 10% irid plat. “Plat 1.80 I” s not an old style mark as far as I’ve seen, also miligraining doesn’t look like hand rolled, and this particular collet setting is a style I haven’t seen in any antiques. Diamond cut is not typical of that era, it would have been a old European cut. This diamond might be an early modern brilliant or a modern brilliant. So all these things along with 2 2 make me think this is a modern stylized replica.

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
On the other hand it COULD be 1940s. The marking doesn’t seem typical of that era though, unless it is a European not American piece.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The markings look typically European to me. They are similar to the markings inside my grandmothers original engagement ring from 1937. On one side it has '18ct' and 'Plat' in separate boxes, plus a worn away makers mark. On the opposite side it has the number 414, which I believe was the number in the series that were made. Mine also has milgrain that was tiny & uniformed, but it has mostly worn away now.

I would say it looks pretty authentic for the late 30's early 40's here in the UK. The diamond looks like an early MRB?

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Could it be 22k gold for the band part and platinum for the rest? Just a guess.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 100% sure it says PLAT 18CT for platinum and 18 carat gold. Carat being how Brits spell what is karat in American English. The top would be platinum and the bottom 18 carat gold. Looks WWII era which would align with the round brilliant cut diamond. If you search 18ct Plat or Plat 18ct you can see tons of photos and read tons of info about the British stamp. They're all like your ring.

The 22 could be an inventory number or carat weight of the diamond, for 0.22.

Roselina

Brilliant_Rock
Like Rhea said. c or ct for karat was used in Britain up until the 70s I think. Other than elsewhere in Europe or America. The brilliant is not old cut, but it resembles one I have and believe to date from the 40ies, maybe 50ies and it certainly doesn‘t look entirely like nowadays modern cuts. I would say early modern round brilliant. It‘s a lovely ring you got there. Not bad idea at all to try eBay!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a platinum head with an 18ct yellow gold band, hence the 2 hallmarks. Check the rings weight, the 2.2 may refer to the weight in grams.
As for age, I’d guess 1940s.
Lovely ring.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
the shoulders are just exquisite
its a lovelly ring

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it’s 18 carat plus platinum, very nice and nice quality. The stone looks like an early modern brilliant I have from the 1940s, when cuts were just transitioning out of “Transitional” cut styles and into Modern Brilliant. Markings were unfamiliar to me, an American, and indeed are totally European, according to the experienced posters here, so that explains it. The combo of platinum and yellow gold plus miligrained leaf shoulders, and collet set diamond is very pretty!

Ladygrey

Shiny_Rock
Hi! What a gorgeous ring. May well be European, but not British, as anything gold / silver / platinum from the UK should have a full hallmark stamp. Hallmarks have been in use for centuries here and (until recently) also include a code to indicate when an item was made.

Great find - love the shoulders!

LondonRuby

Rough_Rock
These are British marks and the ring looks antique. The UK didn't recognise platinum back then so if a ring was 18ct gold and set with platinum, it was viewed as a mixed metal and couldn't have the usual full UK hallmarks. I can't remember the exact details but I've had a few genuine antique (well, 1900 to 1940s approx.) stamped exactly like this, 18ct and Plat. My local jeweller saw a few of them and said they were genuine. I've had a very similar ring to this but resold it.

I don't know that the 22 means. I once had a plat & fire opal art deco ring marked 18ct Plat and 39 on the other side and never found out what the 39 stood for.

Lovely ring, enjoy wearing it!

eesmom

Shiny_Rock
It is a lovely ring- enjoy!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't know that about platinum, @LondonRuby! Fascinating!

This also explains why my grandmothers ring, which is an 18ct gold shank & platinum top that I mentioned earlier in this thread, has '18ct Plat' stamped in it - no mixed metal marks at that time (1937)! You learn something new every day!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its lovely, what seller was it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results