shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Vintage Anniversary Ring- 2.5 carats of transitional-cut joy

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I got engaged, I knew that I'd never want to upgrade ... but I never said anything about not adorning the other 9 fingers! In point of fact, I kidded about it from the get-go: my husband was my best friend before we were ever together in a romantic fashion, and he knew what he was getting in for. :D

This year we're celebrating our fifth year of being together, fourth year of being married: we're expecting our first child; and, well, there's just an awful lot to celebrate. So I got an awful lot of ring. :rodent:

Back in the summer, we started talking a little more seriously about the possibility of buying a Big Deal Ring to mark the occasion: as y'all will recall, this is right around the time prices started to go up ... and up ... and UP. I was seriously starting to get a little worried about getting priced out of the market! I mean - I love my original e-ring: it's a one and a half carat J VS1, and it measures at 7.4 mm. I loved the color and clarity, but I wanted to go up in size enough for it to be at least vaguely noticable ... and that was starting to seem unlikely.

Except ... after months of combing the various vintage sites, I remembered this ring I'd seen in the window of my favorite dealer every day on my way to work. I used to stop and say hello to it, coming and going. I'd tried it on once, back before the concept was a twinkle in my husband's eye ... and it occurred to me to check and see if the stone was still available. Bingo! And just to make me even happier, the dealer honored his original quote from back when I'd first tried it on, leaving me with enough to consider the custom setting of my dreams. :naughty:

So, without further ado ....

PS Transitional 2.jpg

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Vintage Anniversary Ring- 2.5 carats of transitional-cut

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! What a ring and what a lot to celebrate. It is beautiful, I love the setting too. Would love to see many, many more pics please :bigsmile:

Hmmm, its my five year wedding anniversary next year as well.........I think I might show this post to Mr L :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The specs are kinda interesting, especially to a history geek like me: usually, transitional cut stones are described as being like a marriage of the pavillion of an OEC, but with the crown of a modern round brilliant; short LGFs, shallow crown, huge table, lots of white light return. But looking through all the back-posts on transitionals and OECS (seriouslly, all - it's been a fun few days of reading!) it looks like there's a variation which my stone fits: the complete and total opposite, where the crown of an OEC loves the pavilion of a modern round brilliant very, very much, and you get lots of fire.

So, specs!

Color: Color: sold as a J, appraiser rated it a J/K - said it was hard to tell while set. I'm comfortable living with uncertainty!
Clarity: VVS2
Weight: Two and a half carats, more or less - ah, the joys of evaluating a set stone!
Measurements: 8.75 X 8.83 X 5.24
Total Depth: 59.8%
Table: 53.6%
Crown Height: 17.1%
Crown Angle: 36.4%
Pavilion Depth: 41%
Pavilion Angle: 39.4
Star Length: 40.9%
Lower Half Length: 76.5%
Culet: Medium
Fluorescence: Medium
Girdle: VTK to STN, Bruted
Ring size: usually a 5.25, currently ballooned up to a 6.5! Woez. :o

PS Transitional  2.jpg

PS Transitional 1.jpg

PS Transitional 3.jpg

PS Profile shot 1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

You might remember my original e-ring and you might notice, um, a certain family resemblance - well, what can I say, I'm consistent! I love vintage settings, and I love what fishtail prongs do for both shape and security. Once my ring sizes go back to normal, I'm planning to wear my engagement ring as always, and to wear this baby on the middle finger of my right hand. My husband is making vaguely encouraging noises about resetting: he thinks that it'll look funny to have such similar rings on each hand. What do you guys think? I'm torn between loving the setting and style, and daydreaming idly about a bezel ... a Van Craeynest bezel ....

PS Comparison Shot 2.jpg

PS Comparison Shot 1.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I love looking at that little table and that high crown!

And, as you might remember from my obsessive fixation ... I love fluorescence. Luuuurve it! So it was very important to me to get a stone with flour on this go-round: it's the only thing I've ever seen as a drawback about my original stone, that lack. Et, voila!

PS Glowing .....jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

It's beautiful Circe! What a great find.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

A zillion more pics please! It's gorgeous!!!!! Congrats!

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Tis gorgeous Circe! :love: :love: :love:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Congratulations! It is lovely!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It's fantastic! What a great way to celebrate all of the special things in your life!

stci

Ideal_Rock

Circe|1317322249|3028907 said:
You might remember my original e-ring and you might notice, um, a certain family resemblance - well, what can I say, I'm consistent! I love vintage settings, and I love what fishtail prongs do for both shape and security. Once my ring sizes go back to normal, I'm planning to wear my engagement ring as always, and to wear this baby on the middle finger of my right hand. My husband is making vaguely encouraging noises about resetting: he thinks that it'll look funny to have such similar rings on each hand. What do you guys think? I'm torn between loving the setting and style, and daydreaming idly about a bezel ... a Van Craeynest bezel ....

For me, this treasure don't have the style to wear in the middle finger. It's a marvelous ring...!!!!

Mrs.W 514

Brilliant_Rock

wow your new ring is beautiful!!
Congratulations on your baby to be and your 5th anniversary! :appl:
I love the setting that it is in now but a van craeynest bezel would be beautiful.
Oh and the blue flour is TDF! :love: :love: :love: :love:

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock

Wow! Both of your rings are beautiful. The cut and fluorescence of your new stone is really neat, and the prongs on your original e-ring are gorgeous. I agree with your husband -- the settings are similar and your new stone would look amazing in a VC setting, perhaps 1012-10 or 1020. Congratulations on all the good things in your life :appl: :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Congratulations. :appl:

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe|1317322551|3028909 said:
I love looking at that little table and that high crown!

And, as you might remember from my obsessive fixation ... I love fluorescence. Luuuurve it! So it was very important to me to get a stone with flour on this go-round: it's the only thing I've ever seen as a drawback about my original stone, that lack. Et, voila!

SO beautiful. Seriously. It looks like a larger version of the Transitional that was flirting with me yesterday. It was a light bulb and I'm sure yours is too. WOW.

It is AMAZING! Wear it in the best of health!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock

Circe|1317322249|3028907 said:

I totally do that. I wear my wedding rings (plain 6 prong YG cathedral setting) and on the middle finger of the same hand I wear my OMC in a 6 prong RG setting. It's actually a picture of the earrings but you can kind of see how it looks. kiz-opalearrings1.jpg

minmin001

Ideal_Rock

wow, this ring is lovely! such a beautiful bling! :bigsmile:

hmr_mama

Brilliant_Rock

Okay...I love this and I want one. :love: I'm with your husband though...I have two solitaires and I never wear them at the same time...it does feel/look a little weird to me. On the other hand, if you like the look...go for it!

catwalk82

Shiny_Rock

Oh my, absolutely gorgeous! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

eeep :appl:

And *look* at that fluor!!

:sun: :sun: :love: :love: :love: :love: :appl:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock

Gorgeous ring Circe! Congrats on all of your celebrations :appl:

If it were me, I would re-set it...

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I'm sooo jealous! It's beautiful!! :love:

I think I agree with hubby on this one though, I love the current setting, but both rings are so similar that I would be tempted to try something new. And a Van Craeynest bezel sound so perfectly wonderful, how could you resist??? :lickout:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

It's gorgeous, i love the fluor. pics! :love:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

woweeee what great finger coverage! its beautiful! :love:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

congratulations circe!!! it's gorgeous and what a great find :)

MrsBettyBoop

Brilliant_Rock

Beautiful!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It's a gorgeous stone! Lucky you :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

:love: Wow!!! :love: It's truly spectacular Circe, just so very beautiful - many congrats!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ew boy. Here goes. I'd wear the new anniversary ring, as is, as an engagement ring. And reset my engagement diamond into a bezel milligrain pendant.

**ducks for cover**

smc7277

Rough_Rock

Wow that baby is beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results