shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage 1.65 ct Diamond Ring - please share your thoughts

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After an unsuccessful set of photos below I went back to the see the ring that caught my eye.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-can-you-tell-me-about-this-vintage-ring.178293/

This time I spoke to the jeweler at the store who told me more about the ring. It's a genuine antique diamond in original platinum setting, apparently from the 1920's. He said the diamond is in such good condition because the setting protected it around the sides, and held it in with the three prongs at each corner. As if I wasn't swooning enough the thought of a ring almost 100-years old made me want to buy it on the spot!

Center stone 1.65 carat
Color I
Clarity - eye clean

Since I trust Pricescopers more than anyone working on commission, I am hoping for your thoughts on:
- what is the diamond cut?
- is it really from the 1920's period?
- does it all appear to be the original setting?
- do you see any inclusions or anything to be concerned about in the diamond?
- should I buy this ring - if so for how much? (with an unconditional return policy so I could confirm all details with an independent appraisal)

Thanks!!!!!

img_1184.jpg

img_1175.jpg

img_1176.jpg

img_1177.jpg

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Vintage 1.65 ct Diamond Ring - please share your thought

Final shots - today's photo shoot made me realize reading the 'how to take good photos' thread doesn't automatically make me a good photographer!

img_1178.jpg

img_1179.jpg

img_1180.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

Were you wearing a yellow shirt or are the walls yellow? It's hard to judge color from pictures but based on the photos the color of the diamond is more tinted than an I. I would think it's closer to K/L.

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OCgirl|1344033996|3245592 said:
Were you wearing a yellow shirt or are the walls yellow? It's hard to judge color from pictures but based on the photos the color of the diamond is more tinted than an I. I would think it's closer to K/L.
Sharp eyes OCgirl. There was a caramel-brown wall color and yellow tinted lighting in the store. The diamond appeared whitest in window lighting and against white paper. Mostly I felt reassured by the jeweler showing me the color-reading-machine that he used to determine the grade. Do you think diamond-color-reading-machines can be relied upon?

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

I think that colorimeters can give you an idea of color range, but I don't think that they are accurate enough to determine the actual color. It's my understanding that they have to be calibrated just right or they can vary greatly in their results.

Mikla

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Hi! I think the style of that ring is outstanding - I can see why you love it! Is there any kind of report on the stone? The stone looks very dark in the center and cloudy from the pictures. Even if it is an I (though I don't trust the machine), there seems to be something wrong with the stone's light performance. I would ask for a GIA report or buy the setting without the stone. Just my two cents!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Mikla|1344034706|3245600 said:
Hi! I think the style of that ring is outstanding - I can see why you love it! Is there any kind of report on the stone? The stone looks very dark in the center and cloudy from the pictures. Even if it is an I (though I don't trust the machine), there seems to be something wrong with the stone's light performance. I would ask for a GIA report or buy the setting without the stone. Just my two cents!

Thanks for the feedback Mikla. I love your avatar ring and and have a similar (smaller) version!

The diamond is not certified, so I would only purchase with an unconditional 30-day guarantee then get it independently appraised (Pricescope speaks, I listen!). I think I should have asked the jeweler to show me some 'control group' machine readings for GIA-certified diamonds before putting any trust in it. Wish I'd thought of that before I left town.

Regarding light performance, you may be judging my terrible photography skills and reflection of my black camera. I actually thought the ring had amazing light performance and large, sharp facets but I guess I just couldn't capture on film.

I would only buy the ring complete as the 'antique' aspect really appeals to me. Any idea if this is an OEC, OMC or other?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

What are the face up measurements in mm of the stone? I suspect from the photos it is a shallow stone with a larger table. The first image showing the arrows also shows a large table reflection in the central area. The faceting is also not appearing crisp and distinct in your pics, and I suspect that is not all an artifact of your photography skills :rodent:

I do think its likely to be an old cut from the pictures. If I were buying it for myself I would be concerned about its proportions -- typically I am not personally a fan of shallow bigger tabled old cuts because they can look a little "flat" and you don't get pleasing bold chunky contrast patterning.I am concerned about how much obstruction it shows in your photos. Although all stones show some obstruction, this stone is showing a lot of accross the whole face of the stone, again likelt because of its depth (or lack).

All that said, you are seeing it in person not us. It looks like a true old cut. If you like its make and the price is fair it is up to you to decide if you love it or not!

What is the price?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

quaddio|1344031014|3245565 said:
Since I trust Pricescopers more than anyone working on commission, I am hoping for your thoughts on:
- what is the diamond cut?
- is it really from the 1920's period?
- does it all appear to be the original setting?
- do you see any inclusions or anything to be concerned about in the diamond?
- should I buy this ring - if so for how much? (with an unconditional return policy so I could confirm all details with an independent appraisal)

Thanks!!!!!

Cut: what many call a "transitional" I think -- shallower, larger table.
Period: Likely to be 1920s or later. The cut style and setting style are consistent with one another. Can't tell if they are originally paired though.
Inclusions: We can't judge.
Price: A mount like that if platinum and in very good condition might fetch $2500. For the stone you need a *competent* appraiser to estimate the color and clarity to determine fair market value.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Unless they took the stone out of the setting, I don't think the color machine will work. So I would assume the diamond is a good bit lower than I color, so just be sure you factor that into price.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results