shape
carat
color
clarity

view through pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryanm

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond question.

I have a round brilliant diamond, that I bought back home in Chicago, set in a 6 prong tiffany solitaire. When I hold the ring at eye level and look through the pavilion, I see "something." The stone is VS1 and when I chose it, could hardly see the inclusions with the loupe.

Could it be that I am seeing the distorted image of the prongs through the pavilion? Are clouds/feathers in VS1 diamonds simply much more visible when viewed through the side of the pavilion?

What gives? Anyone?

Ryan

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Welcome to the forum Ryanm,

What you are probably seeing in a VS1 diamond through the side just under the girdle is a reflection of the girdle from the other side. It sort of looks like a wavy line running left to right. If it is a dark spot, it probably is polishing rouge stuck under one of the prongs.

ryanm

Rough_Rock
dimonbob -

Thanks for the speedy reply. It kind of looks like a clear "bubble" type thing. It disappears as I rotate the ring and look more vertically (down if that makes sense) through the pavilion facets. I just want to make sure its not an inclusion. It's definitely NOT black.

What you're saying about the girdle makes sense. Maybe that's what I am seeing.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results