shape
carat
color
clarity

view through pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ryanm

Rough_Rock
I have a diamond question.

I have a round brilliant diamond, that I bought back home in Chicago, set in a 6 prong tiffany solitaire. When I hold the ring at eye level and look through the pavilion, I see "something." The stone is VS1 and when I chose it, could hardly see the inclusions with the loupe.

Could it be that I am seeing the distorted image of the prongs through the pavilion? Are clouds/feathers in VS1 diamonds simply much more visible when viewed through the side of the pavilion?

What gives? Anyone?

Ryan

Welcome to the forum Ryanm,

What you are probably seeing in a VS1 diamond through the side just under the girdle is a reflection of the girdle from the other side. It sort of looks like a wavy line running left to right. If it is a dark spot, it probably is polishing rouge stuck under one of the prongs.

dimonbob -

Thanks for the speedy reply. It kind of looks like a clear "bubble" type thing. It disappears as I rotate the ring and look more vertically (down if that makes sense) through the pavilion facets. I just want to make sure its not an inclusion. It's definitely NOT black.

What you're saying about the girdle makes sense. Maybe that's what I am seeing.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP