shape
carat
color
clarity

verifying GIA certifications

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jesschn

Rough_Rock
How would you verify a GIA certification to make sure that it matches the diamond? I am down in ST. Thomas, USVI and I want to make sure I am getting what I pay for. Also, is a round diamond with a table of 57%, and depth of 61% considered "ideal"? Thanks!

Concerned

plymthrock

Rough_Rock
Hi
I'm not an expert, so I only have suggestions. You'll definitely want to wait until you hear back from one of the resident experts. (Perhaps you should repost your question under Rocky Talky.) You probably should get the diamond independently appraised. Also, depending upon the clarity and other characteristics you may be able to verify some things with the assistance of the jeweler. The GIA cert should have a map of any inclusions that can be seen with a 10x loupe, the stone may/may not have fluorescence which can be verified under UV light. If the stone has a laser inscription, you could check that under a loupe.

to see if you are getting a good deal.
Cheers,
Krista:twirl: [/u][/u]

geo10000

Rough_Rock
Hello Jessica, great question. So many people think that because they have a GIA Diamond Grading Report that they are safe. Most of the time they are but I have run across some fraudulant reports and more often simply the wrong report given at point of sale.
GIA will no longer verify report numbers with diamonds over the phone.
Take your diamond to a qualified independant appraiser. Let them look at the stone first then compare their notes with your report. Remember, if the stone is mounted the appraiser's expertise can be comprimised as the stone was most probably graded loose at the lab...so cut him/her some slack with their report although it should be reasonably close.
Good luck & Happy New Year!

George

Angel G

Rough_Rock
Hello,

If you want to be sure that the stone matches with the certificate, you can do so by checking the weight of the stone ( every jeweller should own a balance ), together with the size if the stone ( leveridge, ask the jeweller) .

It is almost impossible to have exactly the same weight, diameter and height on a stone.

The proportions look close to ideal tolkowsky ( american cut ): 53% table, 59,3 % . If I was you I'd check the fire and the bright of the stone by watching at it under daylight conditions.
The table proportions are also out of the range of the eye-fish effect, 58% onwards.

Angel G

Rough_Rock
Hello,

If you want to be sure that the stone matches with the certificate, you can do so by checking the weight of the stone ( every jeweller should own a balance ), together with the size if the stone ( leveridge, ask the jeweller) .

It is almost impossible to have exactly the same weight, diameter and height on a stone.

The proportions look close to ideal tolkowsky ( american cut ): 53% table, 59,3 % . If I was you I'd check the fire and the bright of the stone by watching at it under daylight conditions.
The table proportions are also out of the range of the eye-fish effect, 58% onwards.

lacina

Shiny_Rock
Hi Jesschn,
Do you live on St Thomas? It sounds more like you are just visiting,...
If So I would like to ask you why in the World would you consider buying from there? Because it's Tax free? Well, let me tell you one think, if you can save anything at all, it would not be more than 10% and it sounds like
the diamond is probably worth a few bucks, I would be carefull when buying when are you outside your law inforcement area, even if you buying from Jewelry store. Your concern sounds real, and my advice to you is if you have a feeling the cert would not match the diamond, don't buy it!
There are fake GIA certs and also there are fake diamonds! Some of the fakes look so real, only a lab can tell,...
I had a client who has returned from a trip to Thailand, Telling me all excited how he has bought a diamond for twenty bucks on the sreeet in Thailand. I was surprised to see 1+carat diamond sold for twenty dollars and I told him it would be impossible! After a carful examination I have discovered the man has purchased a nicely cut Moisonite! Great deal Huh?... he said,... I say yes it is a good deal because 1ct Moisonite is worth more than twenty Bucks! I told him he was lucky the street seller didn't ask him for more! So ,... please be carefull, there are plenty of dealers that can do things for you alot more safely at the price you will be happy with! No need to take a risk , usually when you think you are saving thousands, you are putting your self in risk of loosing alot more than you hoped to save! When buying diamonds anywhere in the World, They all have one price,... Why? because they are being mined in four places of the World and prices are strictly controled . The only difference is if you buy in tax free countries you don't pay tax, but will need to declare it when you come home!
Once the tax is paid on your Import, imagine finding out that your Diamond is fake! You can try to fight the store that sold it to you, but one thing is for sure the Import tax is non refundable
If this is worth the headache good luck!
Another example is people are buying Tanzanite while on cruise ships on St Thomas thinking they are saving a bundle, well if I take a good loock at the product it is in deed reasonably priced, however the color is usually of secondary quality. Not in accordance to our standards! Colors washed out with secondary hues,etc,.. Yes Gem quality Tanzanite cost more, but it wasn't what the people ate bringing home from those places,..
Think about it,..

George

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results