shape
carat
color
clarity

Venue boo boo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
''Fraid I am. My parents are coming from Asia. Any other ideas besides Chanterelle?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do you not want FBIL? In my mind, NO, you should not have to, but likely answer is you will have to do it.

FYI, why on earth would 8 be the magic number? How many out of control groups of diners do you think they get?! Pure nonsense to me.

What about having your folks bump their trip a bit, or stay a bit longer? (is the restaurant for sure going to be reopening then?)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
He's sullen. I hope he's matured a little.

6 is Jean Georges' magic number. I'm with you -- AMEX has already tried to reason by then. Maybe I'll have to go sweet talk the boss myself.
2.gif

The restaurant will be re-opening on the 15th, but we will be on honeymoon by then.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sullen is not fun but is not the worst thing. Stick him at the far end, give him a nice drink or three and ignore him. Make sure he sits next to someone who either does not care that he might be sullen, or can draw him out. Maybe let him bring a date? Worth the expense if it improves his mood.

New York is FILLED with amazing restaurants. I am sure you can find one that will take 8 people and serve wonderful food. If not, is there the option of a private chef?

I personally love Italian food and there are so many great places in NY...granted, some not as fancy or upscale, so the eliminates a bunch of options, but still, there are just too many to count.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
How about sticking him at the kids'' table?
9.gif

I hope so. There is the option of a private chef, but I hate entertaining.

We have a favourite Italian restaurant (Bottega Del Vino). It will seat 8, but is a little dark for a summer evening.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do not know NY totally, but there must be something with a lovely patio, filled with candles and twinkle lights...I can imagine.

What about a lovely yacht, sailing around the harbor, with a private chef and a small staff of servers...bar tender, server, etc? That could be amazing!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
No to Aureole?

Ok, Le Cirque 2000, Alain Ducasse's new effort Adour, Le Bernadin, Daniel, and there are more...

What kind of food are you looking for? French? Or is it a decor thing? Or a combo?

ETA: DiamondFan is describing Tavern on the Green...from what I can tell.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/27/2008 11:54:51 PM
Author: diamondfan
I do not know NY totally, but there must be something with a lovely patio, filled with candles and twinkle lights...I can imagine.

What about a lovely yacht, sailing around the harbor, with a private chef and a small staff of servers...bar tender, server, etc? That could be amazing!
That sounds lovely.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Freke, actually was not even thinking of anything that specific...I just assume there are wonderful little places, sort of hidden treasures that are lesser known than the big ones.

Le Bernadin, Daniel, Cafe Boulud, there are so many great choices.

And I think my yacht idea has merrit. Maybe Harriet could arrange a fireworks show over the water too? I would LOVE to do that but have no open space big enough where I am.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 12:00:49 AM
Author: FrekeChild
No to Aureole?

Ok, Le Cirque 2000, Alain Ducasse''s new effort Adour, Le Bernadin, Daniel, and there are more...

What kind of food are you looking for? French? Or is it a decor thing? Or a combo?

ETA: DiamondFan is describing Tavern on the Green...from what I can tell.
The other half is a picky eater and doesn''t like Aureole, Le Bernardin or Daniel!!!

We''re open as to cuisine, as long as it''s good. Decor is secondary, but is definitely a factor.

Have you been to Blue Hill by Stone Barns?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go on this website:

www.millionireconcierge.com

go to locations, click on NY. Chose yachts. The second one, the RM Elegant Luxury yacht, looks awesome. Fully air conditioned, a salon/massage room, gorgeous decks...can accomodate up to 30. They have caterers, musicians, and can even do fireworks. You can charter it to sail New York Harbor for a four hour block. Bring in some flowers and candles, and you are set. The Starfire is also lovely. Problem solved.

PS...no offense to your other half...he MIGHT have to be a bit less picky. August is not far off, and if Per Se is closed, he might need to deal in order to get this done. Those are some wonderful NY places to go, and I am sure they would do a lovely job.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
Thanks, but the link''s not working. Neither is www.millionaireconcierge.com.
33.gif

No offense taken. I''m about to get on his case myself.
2.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooo...I have a picky other half too. He''ll try something a few times, but he always goes back to his favorites. And being that we''re both students, our fine dining is rather limited...

Poo on picky other halves!
2.gif

I have not personally been to Blue Hill (I haven''t been to NYC for 4 years now
39.gif
) but I''m an ex culinary student, so I''ve very much been exposed to fine dining in NYC. (Went to CIA in Hyde Park for the Baking program.) Unfortunately when I was in school, all of my money was going towards school stuff, and only a little bit was able to go towards going to the city and eating our way through it. (Otto has the best Olive Oil gelato ever!)

How about Aquavit?

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bouley or Danube?

Did you decide on Chanterelle?

I'm guessing craft is probably also too rustic? (I love Tom Collichio)

River Cafe? I know it's in Brooklyn, but it looks like it has a lovely view...And the food looks yummy.

Town? They have a cool website and the decor looks pretty modern. (Dunno if that's good or bad)

I don't know what you've been to...(I imagine quite a few of these.)

ETA: Veritas.

Apparently I am bound a determined to find something for you guys.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
H, I meant to type millionairesconcierge

try it now...it works...left off an S

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 12:38:51 AM
Ooo...I have a picky other half too. He''ll try something a few times, but he always goes back to his favorites. And being that we''re both students, our fine dining is rather limited...

Poo on picky other halves!
2.gif

I have not personally been to Blue Hill (I haven''t been to NYC for 4 years now
39.gif
) but I''m an ex culinary student, so I''ve very much been exposed to fine dining in NYC. (Went to CIA in Hyde Park for the Baking program.) Unfortunately when I was in school, all of my money was going towards school stuff, and only a little bit was able to go towards going to the city and eating our way through it. (Otto has the best Olive Oil gelato ever!)

How about Aquavit?
Hey,
When you were at the CIA, did you meet Jonathan (?) Zearfoss?
I''m not sure Aquavit will suit my parents'' palate, but you''re making me hungry for the lime herring. Yum.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 12:51:41 AM
Bouley or Danube?

Did you decide on Chanterelle?

I''m guessing craft is probably also too rustic? (I love Tom Collichio)

River Cafe? I know it''s in Brooklyn, but it looks like it has a lovely view...And the food looks yummy.

Town? They have a cool website and the decor looks pretty modern. (Dunno if that''s good or bad)

I don''t know what you''ve been to...(I imagine quite a few of these.)

ETA: Veritas.

Apparently I am bound a determined to find something for you guys.
Possibilities.

Will call.

I think so.

Not too keen on Brooklyn.

Town''s food is ok, not great.

Yes! Will try Veritas.

Yup, and you''re a darling for doing so.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 12:51:51 AM
Author: diamondfan
H, I meant to type millionairesconcierge

try it now...it works...left off an S
I love your idea. I''ll give them a buzz tomorrow.

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
Harriet I am sorry things didn''t work out for you with your original venue but I am loving the introduction to NY restaurants and am making a list
9.gif
I think Df''s yacht idea sounds spectacular. You in your Valentino swanning around the deck glittering with your stunning gems. This is the stuff of fairy tales or at least the movies
9.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha. If only I were really that glam.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never met Jonathan Zearfoss, but I''m sure I saw him a few times. Do you know him?

Ok, so Bouley, Danube, Veritas, and Chanterelle are still possibilities...If I come up with anything else, I''ll let you know...

And what about Blue Hill? And have you heard anything about Adour? (I just read an article about it before it opened, I don''t know anything about it.)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't know him, but I know his sister.

Good news -- Bouley will seat 8 (although we're still working on Jean Georges)! Do let me know if you have any other inspiration. Many thanks!

Good news part II -- my red dress is ready.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pics of red dress? When do you pick it up? Where are the pics of the shoes you got? (Can you tell I''m excited about your wedding ensemble?)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes. How darling of you! The dress and shoes are still at the store.

Now, more importantly: CAKE!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
How did the call to the yacht broker go?

I think it would be neat as you can go to Jean Georges anytime. This would be something unique, something you are not doing all of the time, which makes it special for your big day!!!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Totally no help on the restaurant front (I''m a San Francisco/London girl myself), but can''t WAIT to see pics of that FABULOUS red dress
30.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF,
Amex is working on a possible yacht charter.

Amber,
I''ll take pics when I pick it up. Incidentally, I think I came across the dress you were talking about. It''s a pretty one.

Freke,
Wanna help me with CAKE?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should look at the two I listed. They are lovely.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
They are. Have you been on them?

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
No. My husband has always wanted a boat and I have a couple of friends in the area who own one. I get a bit nervous when it is rough and I would like a larger vessel, but I would not go out if it is rough.

My hubby and I saw some stunning yachts when we were in St. Barth''s. They are for hire. We might take one for a week at the holidays Christmas of 2009 if my sister in law and her family will join us as our guests. There are usually crews and chefs and it is nice to do, the ships have 7 or 8 state rooms and gyms and state of the art amenities. I would only do it to somewhere like St Barths and only if that is a calm time of year ocean wise.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results