shape
carat
color
clarity

Venting thread

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started CICO (calories in, calories out) in another attempt to lose weight. Easy enough, just log all the food into My Fitness Pal to make sure I don’t go over.

Except then I read that CICO is not ideal for PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) because it’s more about avoiding certain foods than how many calories are in foods:x2 It’s not just junk food either, you are supposed to avoid dairy, most carbs, coffee, limit fruit etc. I lost 70lbs on Paleo but it was miserable and obviously not sustainable for me long term.

Well I’m just going to stick with this for a month and see what happens but it is still very frustrating!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I started CICO (calories in, calories out) in another attempt to lose weight. Easy enough, just log all the food into My Fitness Pal to make sure I don’t go over.

Except then I read that CICO is not ideal for PCOS (Polycystic Ovary Syndrome) because it’s more about avoiding certain foods than how many calories are in foods:x2 It’s not just junk food either, you are supposed to avoid dairy, most carbs, coffee, limit fruit etc. I lost 70lbs on Paleo but it was miserable and obviously not sustainable for me long term.

Well I’m just going to stick with this for a month and see what happens but it is still very frustrating!

Ugh I feel your pain. Like you I have to avoid some “healthy “ food that I love and it sucks. I hope you experience success with this method and most importantly feel well on it.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank to COVID and anti - maskers we're locked up again. Lockdown starts tonight 9 p. m.
Why is it so hard to be reasonable?

I'm fed up with stupid and selfish!!

Yeah. Great question. Why is it so hard for people to behave reasonably? Why do some people suck? Stay safe @kipari

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to vent about serious stuff; it's more beneficial for me to bury my head in a pillow and indulge in a loud scream when necessary. I will vent, however, about white paint. I wanted to paint the entire interior of my home white. How hard can that be? Impossible it seems. There are a gazillion shades of white each with a gazillion shades of undertone nuances. I've learned that paint color needs to be matched not only to interior decor colors but also to the fixed elements room such as flooring, fireplace, cabinets.

Bright whites don't brighten dark rooms and, in fact, can make dark rooms look darker and depending on the shade of white and the way the light enters the room, a bright white can make the room look as though it's painted more than one color.

My interior decorator says she has her "go to" white that she uses all the time. I saw a video by a certified color consultant who said if someone tells you she has a "go to white", that person doesn't know how to use whites.

(pause for sip of vodka tonic)

I don't want to do the usual buying of 50 color samples to schmear on the walls and then meditate over them and make burnt offerings to the gods for help making the right choice.

My interior designer sent me to a color consultant at Sherwin-Williams. I took flooring and fabric samples. She was useless. Showed me a white paint and said "Do you know XX (uber rich person who lives in a 10,000 sq ft mansion 15 min. away from me), well he paints all of his homes this color." Riiiiight, so happy I didn't have to pay for that bit of useless drivel.

(pause for large gulp of vodka tonic)

I returned to watching videos of a Canadian color consultant who compares and contrasts hundreds of paints between and among Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Farrow and Ball and talks about undertones and why they will and wont work in certain situations.

He offers color consultation packages one of which I'll probably pay for all because white isn't white isn't white.

(concludes with large bite of chocolate bar and chugging rest of vodka tonic)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel your pain @Matata we went down the white road and it's surreal.

I don't even remember what white we went with but yeah it was not an easy nor fun process. We did end up shmearing paint all over the walls and looking at it during different times of day but we also ended up redoing certain rooms as I didn't like everything. So our painter got a lot of extra work from us for that project. And we are almost due to repaint here and definitely overdue to repaint in Brooklyn. But I digress.

I think I need some vodka tonic now. No, make that a dark and stormy to match our weather.
As for chocolate I discovered a new one from Trader Joes that is yummy but I have a feeling you're good in that department.

tougheatchoclate.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a big vent. I am super frustrated as is Greg. None of his doctors are getting back to him. He has kidney stones. He might have hyperparathyroid disease. He might need surgery.

He got all the requested tests the doctors wanted him to get and do weeks ago. Numerous tests and very time consuming. He did them as instructed. We still did not receive results as in NJ and NY one can only get the results from the doctors and not the lab. Multiple messages sent to both doctors. No reply.

I just got off the phone with the urologist's office and they cannot make an appointment for him to get his results until they speak to the doctor as the doctor is booked through February. Just for a telemed appt to get his freaking results. What? OMG. This is the fourth message we left for the urologist. Super frustrated.

And don't get me started on the endocrinologist. Waiting for results from those tests too. Very important but it seems only important to us. Not to the doctors. I am very concerned. If Greg has hyperparathyroid disease he needs surgery. Sooner vs later. It can be destroying his bone.

And he went to the derm today and the derm had to take 3 biopsies re potential melanoma. Three separate areas. Three biopsies. Just another big worry. Praying it is benign.

OK. Vent over.
Thanks for reading.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am sick of wearing a mask!!! I am sick of living in fear of COVID every damn time someone in my family sneezes or cough I semi freak out (we all have asthma and allergies) I am just over it all....

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, make that a dark and stormy to match our weather.

That sounds nice, especially if paired with a crackling fire, cozy blanket, and lap full of purrs. Sorry to hear about Greg. It's frustrating and tiresome waiting for info when one's health is at risk. My town, population, 84,397, probably has 3 doctors in each speciality area per person yet it takes 3 to 6 months to get an appointment no matter what the area of expertise.

The melanoma issue is scary. I hope all biopsies are benign. I've lost count of how many melanomas and suspicious spots DH has had removed. A consequence of growing up shirtless in Texas. Luckily the first few were caught early and he goes for full body checks every few months. Last checkup a few weeks ago was the best he's had in a long time. I'd say try not to worry but I know that ain't gonna happen. Maybe 2 dark & stormies?

When my beloved doc quit medicine in 2019, it took me a year to find another. I got a letter this week saying he left the area. I met with him once for 10 minutes and the charge (thank goodness for insurance) as $880 :eek-2: I'm back to square one trying to find a doc who is taking new patients. Blech.

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds nice, especially if paired with a crackling fire, cozy blanket, and lap full of purrs

Check to all of the above.

Sorry to hear about Greg. It's frustrating and tiresome waiting for info when one's health is at risk. My town, population, 84,397, probably has 3 doctors in each speciality area per person yet it takes 3 to 6 months to get an appointment no matter what the area of expertise.

That is frustrating. We have so many doctors here but it seems the same situation here. Just got off the phone with the NP at the urology office. And the merry go round of tests and questions continue. Sigh.

I am sorry you have to wait so many months to get an appointment and I hope if something is critical you can get the necessary appointment as soon as you need it.

The melanoma issue is scary. I hope all biopsies are benign. I've lost count of how many melanomas and suspicious spots DH has had removed. A consequence of growing up shirtless in Texas. Luckily the first few were caught early and he goes for full body checks every few months. Last checkup a few weeks ago was the best he's had in a long time. I'd say try not to worry but I know that ain't gonna happen. Maybe 2 dark & stormies?

Greg had one melanoma removed in 2011 and he is checked every 3 months now since he is high risk. I'm sorry your DH has had melanomas and hope he continues to test negative. Our dermatologists are excellent but since Covid Greg has been getting body checks with the local dermatologist. Who may or may not be as excellent but we are seeing the NYC dermatologists too. Just not as often. He also gets Molesafe once or twice a year depending. Does your DH do Molesafe?

When my beloved doc quit medicine in 2019, it took me a year to find another. I got a letter this week saying he left the area. I met with him once for 10 minutes and the charge (thank goodness for insurance) as $880 :eek-2: I'm back to square one trying to find a doc who is taking new patients. Blech.

I wish I could recommend a good doctor for you. It is very hard to find caring doctors who are skilled in what they do and once we find them it's difficult when they retire or leave the area. My wonderful gynecologist moved out of state 2 years ago now and I still haven't found one to replace her.

Thanks for your well wishes @Matata. I appreciate that.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

@missy--very frustrating!! Ugh. Hoping Gregs biopsies are benign. I have the same issue when I go to the Derm "something" always needs attention; but luckily only once was there a "serious" concern.

cheers--Sharon

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Oh no @missy I am so sorry. It sounds so frustrating. Many prayers that it is benign.

I have a stupid vent. Like why don't I have more money? I want to be super rich so I can charter a private plane for my family to a remote and warm island for the winter. It is cold and raining right now and I do not like it at all :(2 I am dreading temps below 40. o_O:eek2:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Venting because I feel like life is now like death by a thousand cuts. House stuff. Neighbourhood stuff. Unemployment in family stuff. Surfacing health issues. And of course the loss of what seems everything else due to this pandemic. I just can't stand it.

not so cheery--Sharon

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
I have a big vent. I am super frustrated as is Greg. None of his doctors are getting back to him. He has kidney stones. He might have hyperparathyroid disease. He might need surgery.

He got all the requested tests the doctors wanted him to get and do weeks ago. Numerous tests and very time consuming. He did them as instructed. We still did not receive results as in NJ and NY one can only get the results from the doctors and not the lab. Multiple messages sent to both doctors. No reply.

I just got off the phone with the urologist's office and they cannot make an appointment for him to get his results until they speak to the doctor as the doctor is booked through February. Just for a telemed appt to get his freaking results. What? OMG. This is the fourth message we left for the urologist. Super frustrated.

And don't get me started on the endocrinologist. Waiting for results from those tests too. Very important but it seems only important to us. Not to the doctors. I am very concerned. If Greg has hyperparathyroid disease he needs surgery. Sooner vs later. It can be destroying his bone.

And he went to the derm today and the derm had to take 3 biopsies re potential melanoma. Three separate areas. Three biopsies. Just another big worry. Praying it is benign.

OK. Vent over.
Thanks for reading.

I’m so sorry to read about Greg’s health issues and the total frustration of doctors not getting back to you @missy. Grrr...

One note of hope though. I had primary hyperparathyroidism for over 10 years before my new PCP discovered it. We know I had it for at least that long because we pieced together my blood work (serum calcium levels) from the numerous hospitals and doctors I had seen over that time.

Anyway, I had a successful parathyroidectomy a couple of years ago. It was an easy surgery for me, resolved the problem, and my DEXA bone scans were fine. No signs of osteoporosis or even osteopenia. Greg, being male, has that working in his favor when it comes to bone density. So just thought I’d share.

Maybe if he does have PHPT and the problem gland is removed that will resolve the kidney stone problem (?). I never developed kidney stones from PHPT but my dh gets them for some reason. Utter agony.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@dk168 and yes I am so sick and tired of people complaining about not wanting to wear face masks. To those people then stay the F home. PLEASE.

At Costco just an hour ago. Grrrrr

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 4.11.53 PM.png

I know we differ in our opinions, @missy ;-) :) but I am slightly worried that photographing random strangers and then 'mask-shaming' them on the internet is verging into the 'slightly concerning' box... :???:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know we differ in our opinions, @missy ;-) :) but I am slightly worried that photographing random strangers and then 'mask-shaming' them on the internet is verging into the 'slightly concerning' box... :???:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Once again we can agree to disagree. I’m good with that. :)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m so sorry to read about Greg’s health issues and the total frustration of doctors not getting back to you @missy. Grrr...

One note of hope though. I had primary hyperparathyroidism for over 10 years before my new PCP discovered it. We know I had it for at least that long because we pieced together my blood work (serum calcium levels) from the numerous hospitals and doctors I had seen over that time.

Anyway, I had a successful parathyroidectomy a couple of years ago. It was an easy surgery for me, resolved the problem, and my DEXA bone scans were fine. No signs of osteoporosis or even osteopenia. Greg, being male, has that working in his favor when it comes to bone density. So just thought I’d share.

Maybe if he does have PHPT and the problem gland is removed that will resolve the kidney stone problem (?). I never developed kidney stones from PHPT but my dh gets them for some reason. Utter agony.

Sally, thanks so much for sharing your experience. I’m relieved you came through that and are doing so well. I appreciate you sharing and giving me hope. ❤️

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Venting because I feel like life is now like death by a thousand cuts. House stuff. Neighbourhood stuff. Unemployment in family stuff. Surfacing health issues. And of course the loss of what seems everything else due to this pandemic. I just can't stand it.

not so cheery--Sharon

Dear Sharon, sending you comforting hugs and healing vibes across the miles. One day at a time. One hour at a time when that feels overwhelming. We will get through this. (((Hugs))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no @missy I am so sorry. It sounds so frustrating. Many prayers that it is benign.

I have a stupid vent. Like why don't I have more money? I want to be super rich so I can charter a private plane for my family to a remote and warm island for the winter. It is cold and raining right now and I do not like it at all :(2 I am dreading temps below 40. o_O:eek2:

Thanks @dizzyakira. Much appreciated. And I’m with you. Wish we were super rich and could go somewhere warm and safe right now. I’m not a fan of the cold wet weather which is upon us now. Warm hugs being sent your way.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
We should plaster their faces all over the internet AND on the walls of every post office in America.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We should plaster their faces all over the internet AND on the walls of every post office in America.

Completely agree with you @SallyBrown
Dangerous behavior should not be tolerated. Let alone accepted and/or ignored.

CoffeeAndDiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Premium
My husband's boss was just made redundant to save on expenses, despite the company claiming they are actively hiring. Yeah. Right.

I expect the end result will be that much more of the work will fall to my husband without any sort of raise or promotion. DH already puts his heart and soul into his work, regularly working nights and weekends to get everything done.

We are both counting ourselves lucky that we still have jobs. Any day we don't get laid off is a good day. High bar, huh?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grocery shopping here in my neck of the US. They are hoarding again. I noticed that chicken, beef, toilet paper, paper towels, rice, and bottled water are getting snapped up. Shelves 1/2 or 1/4 full today. For many people Friday is payday and I think this weekend we will see more hoarding here. The clerk at the pet store told me they are seeing it too. She said one lady stocked up on $500 of cat food.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock

Have you tried intermittent fasting? It can work really well for people with certain medical conditions including PCOS and diabetes. Just a thought- I could not stick to anything too restrictive forever, weight loss is really hard, sending you good wishes.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

OK. Vent over.
Thanks for reading.

@missy I‘m so sorry you and Greg are getting frustrated with the doctors. I would call every day...
As for the biopsies for Melanoma. I hope the derm is just being extra cautious. After I had my melanoma...the derm took everything off...I don’t have many spots left..and I had lots...Nothing came back cancerous since the first one. I hope that’s the same for Greg..❤️

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There is no assumption of privacy in public.

Wear a mask. Properly. Or stay home.

SallyBrown

Shiny_Rock
Grocery shopping here in my neck of the US. They are hoarding again. I noticed that chicken, beef, toilet paper, paper towels, rice, and bottled water are getting snapped up. Shelves 1/2 or 1/4 full today. For many people Friday is payday and I think this weekend we will see more hoarding here. The clerk at the pet store told me they are seeing it too. She said one lady stocked up on $500 of cat food.

$500 in cat food. :shock:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Same! And I mean it this way—we can’t control others but we can control how we react. At least you can spot a maskhole a mile away and avoid them, but don’t work yourself up unnecessarily—that can take a toll on you @missy! I’d rather come across a maskhole than a drunk driver or texter and driver—those you don’t see coming and you can’t avoid! But most people can spot these and just walk away, so in the end, they are only potentially hurting themselves. Don’t even sweat it or let it consume you. People jeopardize others every second of the day so In the hierarchy of crimes, maskholes are not high on my radar. I’d panic if I would see someone waving a gun in the air—not wearing a mask properly, not so much.

Last edited:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't want to vent about serious stuff; it's more beneficial for me to bury my head in a pillow and indulge in a loud scream when necessary. I will vent, however, about white paint. I wanted to paint the entire interior of my home white. How hard can that be? Impossible it seems. There are a gazillion shades of white each with a gazillion shades of undertone nuances. I've learned that paint color needs to be matched not only to interior decor colors but also to the fixed elements room such as flooring, fireplace, cabinets.

Bright whites don't brighten dark rooms and, in fact, can make dark rooms look darker and depending on the shade of white and the way the light enters the room, a bright white can make the room look as though it's painted more than one color.

My interior decorator says she has her "go to" white that she uses all the time. I saw a video by a certified color consultant who said if someone tells you she has a "go to white", that person doesn't know how to use whites.

(pause for sip of vodka tonic)

I don't want to do the usual buying of 50 color samples to schmear on the walls and then meditate over them and make burnt offerings to the gods for help making the right choice.

My interior designer sent me to a color consultant at Sherwin-Williams. I took flooring and fabric samples. She was useless. Showed me a white paint and said "Do you know XX (uber rich person who lives in a 10,000 sq ft mansion 15 min. away from me), well he paints all of his homes this color." Riiiiight, so happy I didn't have to pay for that bit of useless drivel.

(pause for large gulp of vodka tonic)

I returned to watching videos of a Canadian color consultant who compares and contrasts hundreds of paints between and among Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Farrow and Ball and talks about undertones and why they will and wont work in certain situations.

He offers color consultation packages one of which I'll probably pay for all because white isn't white isn't white.

(concludes with large bite of chocolate bar and chugging rest of vodka tonic)

Nah.
Hardware shop -
where is the paint located please?
Aisle 12.
Looking looking Looking white paint. white paint.
Ah, label says “white paint”
cash register
buy
take home
open tin.
paint white paint.
easy peasy.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@FL_runner, thank you for the IF suggestion, I actually do that a few times a week. I am insulin resistant and they did prescribe Metformin but I stopped taking it because of how awful I felt. Maybe I will add IF another day of the week next week. Thanks for the good wishes :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results