shape
carat
color
clarity

Venting about school

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
When I'm not jewelry trade, I am a high school teacher. Yes, this year is unlike any other, in both the practicality of learning and the stress on all sides, student and teacher alike. However, I've been trying to push compassion and greater understanding from the teaching side, and not becoming more strict.

You should definitely push back at the school if they continue on this nonsense. They have no say in where your kid is allowed or "should" or "shouldn't" be in your home.

I know it's easier said than done, but seriously, don't budge an inch in your convictions.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ugh i did push back & the administration has not been responsive

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
You're such a wonderful teacher and beautiful human being @Cozystitches !! Thanks for standing up for the kids.

In my personal situation many teachers start unloading their frustration on the kids. I get that it's hard for everyone, but screaming at elementary and middle schoolers because of personal frustration isn't helpful.
My friend's kid got a bad report for helping her friend with a broken ankle up the stairs.That friend fell on the stairs at school , broke her ankle and fell again because crutches on said stairs don't help. She literally cannot get up the stairs with the back pack and crutches. Her friend helped her and was 3 mins late in class. Teacher, who said to the parents that he can't help the injured girl because of Covid didn't listen to the explanation. Mom of girl one wrote a polite email (I was cc cause I'm parent rep) and teacher replied he didn't know the other girl was injured (ermmmmm crutches for three weeks now..??) . And that he now knows where the girl got her nasty ways: genetics. Like mother like daughter!!
I saw that mail and truly do not know what to say anymore... TG we're only one day from our fall holidays!!

by blood is boiling reading this
773c3c6ae678988bcadff052896ba83f.jpg

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@missy Yes, you read that right, my daughter need that booster to attend school remotely. I take my kids to well visits every year and they get their recommended vaccines (and flu shots). I was surprised she needed another shot. And even more surprised it's a requirement for remote learning. And annoyed they gave us 2 weeks to do it. I don't even know how they'll be able to kick kids off remote learning. Ugh. We have an appointment at the pediatrician next Thursday at 8 am so hopefully that will be that.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Yes, you read that right, my daughter need that booster to attend school remotely. I take my kids to well visits every year and they get their recommended vaccines (and flu shots). I was surprised she needed another shot. And even more surprised it's a requirement for remote learning. And annoyed they gave us 2 weeks to do it. I don't even know how they'll be able to kick kids off remote learning. Ugh. We have an appointment at the pediatrician next Thursday at 8 am so hopefully that will be that.

Ludicrous. This sounds like a classic case of someone not thinking and just following rules. As in pre pandemic rules.

I am sorry @dizzyakira that they also only gave you 2 weeks notice. SMH.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 6 year old was scolded for being late to a zoom yesterday.... really?! She is 6! With a full day of zooms. Back off

Ugh. And the ridiculousness continues. I'm sorry @Polabowla. They need to back off indeed.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
My 6 year old was scolded for being late to a zoom yesterday.... really?! She is 6! With a full day of zooms. Back off

That is insane. There seems to be no common sense anymore. Zoom school is like he wild west of education.

On the second day of school, because of internet problems my daughter was not able to log into first and second periods. I was at a doctor appointment and I got a phone call from the high school truancy officer scolding me for my daughter being absent. He then scolding me for being out of the house and not remaining home to supervise her. I informed the truancy officer that it is not his business if I leave my 16 year old home alone!! and I informed him I would be calling both the principal, the dean of students to complain that I was getting called and lectured by him on the second day of school.

I did get an apology from the principal and the dean and was promised they would speak to the truancy officer about his over zealous phone call and the tone that he spoke to me in. They both agreed it was absurd he was lecturing me that I should not leave my house!!

edited to add, I didn't even know the school had a truancy officer until I got that call!

Last edited:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
That is insane. There seems to be no common sense anymore. Zoom school is like he wild west of education.

On the second day of school, because of internet problems my daughter was not able to log into first and second periods. I was at a doctor appointment and I got a phone call from the high school truancy officer scolding me for my daughter being absent. He then scolding me for being out of the house and not remaining home to supervise her. I informed the truancy officer that it is not his business if I leave my 16 year old home alone!! and I informed him I would be calling both the principal, the dean of students to complain that I was getting called and lectured by him on the second day of school.

I did get an apology from the principal and the dean and was promised they would speak to the truancy officer about his over zealous phone call and the tone that he spoke to me in. They both agreed it was absurd he was lecturing me that I should not leave my house!!

edited to add, I didn't even know the school had a truancy officer until I got that

That is so beyond !

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ok please help me understand this. I have 6 kids on zoom plus husband working from home.
Kids cannot be with other ppl in the room , not outside, not in a bedroom. They get in trouble & kicked off zoom if anyone walks by them; if they slouch or look away from camera. For 7 hours of back to back zoom.
Where am I supposed to put everyone?! And how can they expect kids not to look away or fidget?!

Ha I see this was my first post.
I'm fuming because my kid got kicked off zoom because he was distracting others. How? His parent walked by the camera & ds looked away .
Really?! Really?!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ve
Ok please help me understand this. I have 6 kids on zoom plus husband working from home.
Kids cannot be with other ppl in the room , not outside, not in a bedroom. They get in trouble & kicked off zoom if anyone walks by them; if they slouch or look away from camera. For 7 hours of back to back zoom.
Where am I supposed to put everyone?! And how can they expect kids not to look away or fidget?!

I'm fuming because my kid got kicked off zoom because he was distracting others. How? His parent walked by the camera & ds looked away .
Really?! Really?!

Vent away

im sorry your kids cant transfer to the NZ system for the duration of the pandemic
our syatem isnt perfect and i haven't personally had anything to do with it since 1989 (i beleave maths has changed since then)
But here this year, kids and parents/ family life got a bit of considerations for once

I suspect the teachers are probably under some sort of hidouse pressure from somewhere further up the chain of command and the kids and by extension the parents are wearing the brunt of it.

But this year as you're the mom, you're the head mistress of the school in your own house

Call time for an early play time (or what ever kids call intervill in your neck of the woods)

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Really?! Really?!

:( :( :(

I'm not sure if this helps....but what about kids sit on the floor with their backs against the wall, maybe a lap tray for their computer? This could help the "no one walk by" issue? Combine that with headphones. My only other idea is what about kids in a closet? I know it sounds bad, but am trying to figure out other ideas for you <3

I think it is absolute nonsense what they are requiring. :( I have students who zoom on mobiles, at the table w/others, siblings (half dress older adults) who walk by, etc.

I haven't kicked out a kid for that type of distraction....kid who was warned repeatedly about eating in class yes....(kid was eating half a cabbage and quite distracted/distracting to others), but this kid was warned repeatedly. :razz:

Hugs to you either way.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Eating half a cabbage is hilarious! Distracting though of course.

No closets (we just have sliding door ones in kids rooms) and they're not allowed on the floor by the school.

And really you can't punish a kid saying he is not following the zoom rules because he slouched slightly (golly they are not soldiers) or a parent walked by.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eating half a cabbage is hilarious! Distracting though of course.

No closets (we just have sliding door ones in kids rooms) and they're not allowed on the floor by the school.

And really you can't punish a kid saying he is not following the zoom rules because he slouched slightly (golly they are not soldiers) or a parent walked by.

You can't tell me kids dont slouch in school !
And id pay good money to see anyone sit down to half a cabbage

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@Daisys and Diamonds & @Polabowla
This kid had been highly annoying up to this point (spinning in his chair, going up close to the camera, going to and fro from the camera, ignoring the information being presented, etc)...the cabbage was the last straw. And again, he had been warned (and had been obnoxious in most other zooms, and eating the cabbage in other teacher's zooms too). Gah! He's still fairly annoying, but sans food stuffs. :razz:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Daisys and Diamonds & @Polabowla
This kid had been highly annoying up to this point (spinning in his chair, going up close to the camera, going to and fro from the camera, ignoring the information being presented, etc)...the cabbage was the last straw. And again, he had been warned (and had been obnoxious in most other zooms, and eating the cabbage in other teacher's zooms too). Gah! He's still fairly annoying, but sans food stuffs. :razz:
At least you can pull the plug and let him be his mother's problem for the day
Im sorry the cabbage thing just has me chuckling, but it does sound like an attention thing and i think a cabbqge could be very disruptive

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So to update i am so tired of the school. The unreasonable demands continue & now over vacation my kids are supposed to do school work. It is vacation!
Bad enough they have homework for hours on worksheets plus 3 or 4 practice websites a day (after a full day of zoom or in school.)
Do they not understand ppl need a break?!
And if my kids can't do all the work we get endless emails & phone calls.
Hello. These are little kids?! How many adults want to work all day & then 2 hours at night again?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to update i am so tired of the school. The unreasonable demands continue & now over vacation my kids are supposed to do school work. It is vacation!
Bad enough they have homework for hours on worksheets plus 3 or 4 practice websites a day (after a full day of zoom or in school.)
Hello. These are little kids?! How many adults want to work all day & then 2 hours at night again?

I don't know what to say. I am sorry you and your kids are going through this. Unreasonable demands indeed. All I can do is send you hugs and lots of good wishes across the miles. It's ridiculous they aren't giving the kids and their parents a much needed break. With all that is going on in the world. Would it change anything for the worse just to lighten the load a bit!

(((Hugs))).

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @missy ! Yes especially now ppl need breaks more than ever. Hugs right back atcha!

molinePDG

Shiny_Rock
Trade
It is so frustrating to hear there are schools taking such a hard approach. I was so disheartened to read your post, and I hope there's a resolution that proves less stressful soon :(

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you @molinePDG . So far the administration has been equally as frustrating & taking the same harsh approach.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
They started standardized testing last week and I called the board to see what my rights were, found out I can easily opt out for these specific ones without signing anything and did so!

It was interesting to see her teacher and vice principal call and be at a loss for words, I guess many don't opt out where I live. They either do it without question or they're negligent and the kid hasn't shown up to school in weeks anyways.

It's already too much and the online testing being proctored by an adult for 2 hours for three days is way too much for my six year old. I told them to use her work as an assessment of her progress as testing makes her so anxious, gives her stomach aches, and lowers her confidence. It's just too much!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Is pulling them out an option? I had several friends unenroll their kids and do actual homeschool. Much less work for the kids and parents plus some great programs already available so they are getting ahead with less work rather then falling behind as some feared.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
@TheGarnetGirl i never heard of such an option where i live. So great you are able to do it!
@TooPatient i truly wish i could, however 3 kids need special education and i am completely unequipped to provide it. They also cannot learn virtually because of their disabilities.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sorry your going through this @Polabowla. At this point I'd be telling the school to take a run and jump.

We've be fully online learning for the past two weeks, cannot believe it has been only two weeks! There are things that can be improved (if anything I think our system is a touch too relaxed) but the pressures being put on some kids and families are insane. But I did have a little giggle. The school just sent out an email, a two week review so to speak. In the last line of the email the head teacher commented that she herself had been driving around with an x-box in the boot of her car all week because that was the only way she could get her own son to do his school work. So at least in our case, the teachers are under pretty much the same pressures.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
So my child had an educational evaluation & no surprise it showed that i was correct in my assessment of her abilities. Nevertheless the homework is constantly over her level.
I once again let the teachers know & got back emails insisting she can do it.
I don't get it. Do they want me to force a small child who is crying after 45 minutes that she doesn't know it, and say yes you do & do it anyway?
This makes no sense that they are so adversarial.
She is having so much anxiety it is making her sick.
And why does she have 5 things for homework a night anyway?!

OdetteOdile

Brilliant_Rock
@Polabowla I've been reading this thread and I just can't believe how unreasonable your school is being. Is it the 6 year old who is supposed to be doing 5 things for homework? If so, that's crazy. In our school system they never want a child crying about homework. They specifically tell us that if it is taking the child more than about 15-20 minutes or if they are getting very upset/frustrated that we are to stop with homework. This is especially true for children with special needs. Child psychologists have said the same. I'm very sorry about what your family is going through with school! I am not sure if you are in the public school system and if your child has an IEP, but if so, I would involve the case manager. I'm so sorry your child has been sick with anxiety!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results