shape
carat
color
clarity

Vent.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
marymm|1317393828|3029673 said:
To the OP - I realize this is a "vent" thread and you are probably typing off the top of your head rather than with measured, reasoned thought. I also recognize that you have gone through a frustrating bureaucratic experience in obtaining this birth certificate.

But I do want to point out that nothing you've listed about his parents' way of life is that unusual - many people choose to live "off the grid" so to speak for many reasons - and many, many people choose not to travel especially internationally. And, not being travelers or savvy people, and given their chosen way of life, I imagine this whole cruise experience will be particularly difficult for his parents. The fact that it took you 5 months to talk them into accepting this gift cruise is quite telling. As much as you must be looking forward to your cruise wedding, I would imagine his parents are viewing it more as an ordeal they will endure because they love their son and wish to be present at your wedding. I find it sweet that you are willing to do the legwork and foot the bill in order to have them there, and that they are willing to go so far outside their comfort zone, all in order to accommodate your wedding preference.

I sincerely wish for you and yours a beautiful, memorable cruise/wedding experience.

I would agree with you based on what I've posted here, but there is a key missing element that I can't share on a public forum. It didn't come out until a couple of months ago, but it's the reason why they were hesitant. It had to do with them not wanting to get passports and thinking that they would have to. This is the same reason they are living off the grid...not because that is their ideal way of life, but because they want to stay under the radar.

The other part of it is before we booked anything we talked to them about it and they insisted they were excited, able and willing to attend, etc. So it's not like we sprung it on them and forced them to go. If they would have objected or voiced concerns at the beginning (before we paid for the trip, put money down on the venue, etc.) we would have seriously rethought our plans.

Zoe said:
The thing I kept wondering about is why it's up to you to get your FMIL's birth certificate for her. Why isn't she taking care of this herself?

Because she doesn't have a credit card, and if she were to do it by mail it would take to long. We could have started this process way back when we booked the cruise, but she thought she had one.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Just to update- I got an email just now saying the birth certificate has been shipped. It should be in my hands tomorrow. I can't even tell you how happy and relieved I will be to scratch that off the list.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
that's awesome, amc. [and again, you are a saint for taking care of all this nonsense] :appl: :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results