shape
carat
color
clarity

Vent: Cloudy eternity band so it doesn't outshine your ering

happybear

Shiny_Rock
was what I was told by a B&M sales person promoting his eternity band. :angryfire:
This was when I commented there's hardly any sparkle on some of the diamonds. He also said diamonds are good investment :roll: . When I asked if his shop buys back the diamond they sell, he said no, but some of his customers have sold to their friends for a profit and I can do that too! :evil:

Gosh! I got so mad hearing all the cr*p he was telling me! I just have to vent it here.

I know I shouldn't expect much from most B&M shop, but I just couldn't stomach all the nonsense he was sprouting. I reckon he is probably an over-zealous new sales guy trying to clinch a sale because the last time I went to that shop, I had a nice chat with another lady about cut, color and clarity. At least she didn't come out with ridiculous excuses when I refused to look at a 1.5ct Good Cut diamond she had with her, saying that I am very particular about Cut, above all else.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Re: Vent: Cloudy eternity band so it doesn't outshine your e

hahaha that is ridiculous!!! maybe you should just get a cloudy ering too so they would match!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

what a novel approach :rodent:

kinda like that salt and pepper diamond fiasco I read about on here some time ago...

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

Oh, this is a good laugh! :lol:

slg47

Ideal_Rock

kelpie|1315545084|3013345 said:
Yssie|1315543299|3013325 said:

kinda like that salt and pepper diamond fiasco I read about on here some time ago...
My personal fave is the ebay sellers hawking "galaxy diamonds". :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Loose-Diamonds-Gemstones-/491/i.html?_nkw=galaxy+diamond&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

kelpie that is too funny!!! galaxy diamond...LOL

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

kelpie|1315545084|3013345 said:
Yssie|1315543299|3013325 said:

My personal fave is the ebay sellers hawking "galaxy diamonds". :rolleyes:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Loose-Diamonds-Gemstones-/491/i.html?_nkw=galaxy+diamond&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Wow. That was something wasn't it. Galaxy diamonds. The power of marketing. That should be in an MBA program somewhere.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hahaha

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

I hadn't heard of "galaxy diamonds" but I think it's really clever. At least the photos show you exactly what you're getting. The assigned cut and clarity grades on the other hand :nono:

I guess my philosophy is that I don't think a D-FL is inherently better than an N-SI. The former might be more rare and in demand and thus much more valuable, but there are people who don't like high colors just as there are those who don't like low colors. And some people just see inclusions as a birthmark on their particular diamond, there to prove that the stone is natural and unique. As long as everything is accurately disclosed, more power to the seller who deals in these unconventional stones.

DeBeers has been shifting its marketing for decades to move inventory of stones no one wanted... persuading people to spend two-three months' salary on an engagement ring so that they'd buy the biggest stone they could afford, then popularizing the eternity ring to sell the smaller stones that weren't moving, and recently the "right-hand ring" so women would start buying diamonds for themselves for no particular reason. Eternity rings, anniversary rings, journey pendants, these are all creations of the industry to get people to buy more diamonds. So why not galaxy diamonds?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Karpouzi, I'm almost with you. I just got my highest grade diamond yet (an AGS000 G) and well it's just a bit ho-hum compared to my lower colored old cuts who ooze character. But diamonds should show off their optical properties! Even the barely faceted rose cuts do a wonderful job of showing off the unique refractive index of diamonds. They just can't shine if there are obstructions so significant. For diamonds of that grade I think a cool jewelry application is when they are left as rough when set:

Diamond-in-the-Rough-earrings.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium

What a hoot!!! Gotta give him credit for trying I guess!

slg47

Ideal_Rock

kelpie|1315572276|3013480 said:
Karpouzi, I'm almost with you. I just got my highest grade diamond yet (an AGS000 G) and well it's just a bit ho-hum compared to my lower colored old cuts who ooze character. But diamonds should show off their optical properties! Even the barely faceted rose cuts do a wonderful job of showing off the unique refractive index of diamonds. They just can't shine if there are obstructions so significant. For diamonds of that grade I think a cool jewelry application is when they are left as rough when set:

kelpie those are cool. I actually think the 'galaxy diamonds' could be used in some sort of interesting jewelry. Unfortunately the way they are cut...is not helping their cause IMO.

ETA just to clarify I am not suggesting AGS0 cuts for those 'galaxy' diamonds...but something more like kelpie's earrings, or some cool sort of rough shape in stackable rings...or a cabochon

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kelpie what is your new G color AGS0 for? Is there a thread on the project?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

As soon as I get decent pic I was going to make a " show me your downgrade" thread. It's a .40 BGD H&A that was too cheap not to get. So rare to win true steals on eBay anymore but still happens occasionally. I like it as a solitaire but hope to find it a mate someday and slap a ruby in-between.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gotta love those. My favorite "sales pitch" of late, after the "why did he buy you a CZ" line I got when the person didn't understand that I have a modified cut, was the "is that 2ct bec it's huge on your finger and looks ridiculous?" I said no, its 1.15, "why would you pay for a 2 ct stone that looks like a 1.15". I didn't even know how to respond, it made ZERO sense. First it was huge, and now it's tiny?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results