shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rough_Rock
I have been on this website for a few weeks now.

I was wondering what everyones overall opinion is.

Do you think this website has a bias towards using online vendors, such as james allen, whiteflash, blue nile ect...?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 10:03:42 AM
Author:Metallica

Do you think this website has a bias towards using online vendors, such as james allen, whiteflash, blue nile ect...?
Well, we see most people preferring to buy online here rather than brick and mortar jewellers, but the veteran PSers try to find out what the posters preference is as to where to purchase, and advise accordingly. You will see most buying online but we try to be of help to anyone who needs it where possible. It can be easier with online diamonds especially if we have images to help us such as ASET, Idealscope etc whereas our hands are tied with diamonds which have very little info provided when they are with jewellery stores who don't typically offer images.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''d have to say, probably YES. The reason for that, however, is not unwarranted. People recommend vendors they have used, liked the product and experience. Recommendations breed more business, and hopefully more happy customers. If a business see that the positive word of mouth is boosting their bottom line, they may be more likely to become an advertising vendor.

You can definitely be sure, though, at Pricescope you will never get a recommedation JUST BECAUSE someone is a Pricescope vendor. We can be very tough on folks we don''t see at meeting our expections.

To add another question to your post, or maybe to look at the other side of this question, "Are Pricescope consumers snooty and elitist about their stones?"
10.gif

Rough_Rock
Do you feel there are more advantages to buying online. I know at a store you can haggle, but do you think you get better quality from an online vendor then you would from a diamond or jewelery exchange type of store?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:03:42 AM
Author:Metallica

As oposed to who/what?
1.gif

ETA Typing at the same time!

Rough_Rock
I feel that everyone on this website are very insightful and help out a great deal. I was all set to purchase a stone from a local diamond exchange vendor. After reading post here for the past couple weeks, I am starting to think about going for an online vendor. I just was wondering if i was being sold on this blog website, by the online vendors themselves.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:19:46 AM
Author: Metallica
Do you feel there are more advantages to buying online. I know at a store you can haggle, but do you think you get better quality from an online vendor then you would from a diamond or jewelery exchange type of store?
There are different advantages to each option. Advantages of buying at brick & mortor store include the ability to handle the stone yourself and observe it in different conditions, face to face relationship with vendor, ability to use that site for further service, ability to "haggle." Advantages of buying online include access to a vastly larger pool of stones, opinion and experience of highly recognized and experienced vendor to use their eyes in narrowing down or recommending a stone to your precise desires, much better price per item based on lower overhead (no fancy store to pay rent or mortgage for, fewer staff salaries, potential for less physical inventory to invest in). These are just a few.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:19:46 AM
Author: Metallica
I don't know that it's more, but certainly different. In a retail store, you get to see, touch, compare, which is big. You also get little perks you won't online (though that's not to say there are none online). Plus, face to face is also nice, and yes, you can haggle.

Online almost always means the best price for the best cut. When I was shopping locally, most stones I saw where the cut came close to the great cuts online, they were branded, and cost a lot more. I also ran into a variety of irritances, such as knowing more than the jeweler, being talked down to, them trying to sell me something I didn't want, outright lying, almost ripping me off, etc. It just wasn't worth it to try and give back to my community. lol

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most of us here are consumers, those in the trade must identify themselves. So you aren''t being "sold on this blog website by the online vendors themselves".

On the other hand do a search for jewelry exchange...not such good reviews on them here or elsewhere.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:35:36 AM
Author: neatfreak
Most of us here are consumers, those in the trade must identify themselves. So you aren''t being ''sold on this blog website by the online vendors themselves''.

On the other hand do a search for jewelry exchange...not such good reviews on them here or elsewhere.
Ditto this.

I think your average PSer is just that much more educated about diamonds, and well prepared to handle a diamond purchase either online, or in a B&M.

However, after doing research on both options, quite a few of us choose to go with our online options for one reason or another. Overall better quality of stock, sales associates are often more educated on diamonds much more often than your average B&M store, great reviews on PS or other places.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Speaking as a vendor myself, I ''d say that the advice given here seems to be extremely fair and reasonable.
The fact is that today, the least costly way to sell diamonds is over the web- and consumers can certainly benefit from the price advantage.
BUT_ there''s real value to be able to walk into a store and do business- I believe that this is balanced in the responses given generally.
That is to say- if a $5000 diamond (online) is $6000 in a reputable B&M, I honestly believe many people giving advice here would balance that. To some people such a difference is acceptable in return for the advantages offered

I believe that there have been many cases of PS''ers helping people buy a diamond in a store.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
You often save scratch on well cut stones if you purchase online. I've used online vendors and B&M, and I recommend both. I like the tangible element of purchasing in person, though--I like to play with stones and then decide. I also like to haggle in person, and I've gotten great deals that way.

I do think it's important for people to view stones in person--whether it's at a B&M or with an online store that has a great return policy---imho, that's the best way to learn about about stones and light return.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d like to approach this from a different perspective if I may?

I''m in the UK and so purchasing from the often mentioned US vendors can be more expensive for me when taking into consideration the exchange rate, customs charges/import duties etc. Would I like to see more worldwide vendors given a mention? Yes. However as the majority of posters are in the US/Canada (I think!) it''s unlikely to happen. What I love is that I''m able to surf the websites of say, Whiteflash, GOG etc., and get a great benchmark to know how much I should be paying in the UK which enables me to search more effectively!

So is there a bias? Yes, but I think it''s based on many many happy customers and, from what I''ve read, exceptional customer service. So if there''s a bias then I''d say it''s probably earned.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results