shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Thought I'd add a sapphire I recently bought & returned from Gemfix. Ultimately whether or not I felt the vendor picture was a good representation of the actual stone, I knew it just wasn't 'the one'. :))

Vendor photo
sapphire_blue_980.jpg

My photos:
Indoor diffused daylight
20120820_172126.jpg 524c0666.jpg
20120820_184946.jpg

Direct sunlight through window
20120820_172632.jpg

Halogens in my bathroom
20120820_172254.jpg
20120820_172219.jpg

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Well I blame you all for my first purchase of a colored gem ring. Seeing all your beautiful rings inspired me to make a bid on a ring with "emerald" from Lord of Gem Rings otherwise known as LOGR. (BTW it is very hard for a newbie to follow the conversation when you all use abbreviations even though I'm sure it gets weary typing out the whole name but as you can see I figured it out haha.

The posted BUY IT NOW price was $450 for this ring so I bid $370 expecting to get a counteroffer but nope the next morning (today) my message said I had purchased it. Only problem so far is that the vendors paypal account isn't working to take payment. Hope that's just an internal issue and not an omen.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-27ct-EMER...t=Diamond_Solitaire_Rings&hash=item3f0fce6f42
I'm going to have to figure out how to post just a picture not the entire link.

I'm not in love with the "emerald" but it's OK until I find the blue-green stone I really want. I live near the Gulf of Mexico and love that Caribbean blue green color. But until I find that gem this green one will do because I love the setting with milgrain.

Question: Assuming I can get this paid for how long before you all got your rings? I have a 40th HS reunion soon and would love to wear it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ima! :wavey:

That is a very pretty ring. I love the split shank, the halo, and the color of the stone with the white gold and diamonds. Do be careful about the quality of their diamonds, as many of us when buying from them upgrade the diamond quality so that really are white and sparkly. Question for you: if you don't love their emerald, is your plan to replace it with the greenish blue stone you seek? In this case, you'd also be looking for a round stone...

Oh, and welcome aboard!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's much easier to buy the stone first, then find the setting. As it is, just trying to get the right colour is a challenge in itself. Now you have the added limitation of a round shape AND the mm measurement. On top of that, you may need to extend the prongs or beef it up to set the new stone. All in all though, it's a pretty setting. I second MB's caution that LOGR's melees are hit or miss. Sometimes they are clean and white but more often than not lately, they tend to be cloudy unless upgraded.

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your suggestions. I will examine the small diamonds carefully on arrival and return the ring if they aren't acceptable. I hope my buying it for less than the posted price doesn't mean I'll get a less nice ring. But again, will return it if not good.

I decided to buy this now because although I really want a blue-green stone ring I am not up to the challenge of DIY right now. I'm just a beginner and learning. Minou has emailed me some suggestions for an etsy'er who will set stones in a setting I provide. Now I guess I need to start looking for a setting that will fit the tourmaline she has. I want to see the quality of LOGR setting in person before looking at any more of his rings.

My birthday is December plus Christmas plus anniversary in February so there are multiple reasons, right? My husband likes when I pick out my own presents :)

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1347279957|3265108 said:
Do be careful about the quality of their diamonds, as many of us when buying from them upgrade the diamond quality so that really are white and sparkly

minousbijoux (or anyone else) can you elaborate on this? I'm thinking of reseting my old e-ring to this setting of theirs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-Princess-Cut-85ct-VS-Diamond-14K-White-Gold-Engagement-Semi-Mount-Ring-7-5g-/251150461142?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2120821287521202825%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Vendor pics from Gemrite for:

Stone: Tsavorite garnet (Grossular garnet)
Weight: .92 cts
Clarity: VVS
Dimensions: 7.11x 5.37x 3.62mm
Design: Oval
Origin: Tanzania
Treatment: None (it doesn't look like its got a certificate though)
Price: $380

_538.jpg

_968.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
And my photos taken outdoors (admittedly not a good camera but it portrays the color and extinction accurately)

_17.jpeg

_18.jpeg

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
I hear that ovals are prone to extinction unless supernova or maybe Barion or Portuguese. Do the more experienced members of this forum agree? The color in the tsav above is so pretty but I wouldn't have expected extinction from vendor pic. Which reinforces the recommendations here to ask alot of questions.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
two_little_birds|1347927097|3269957 said:
minousbijoux|1347279957|3265108 said:
Do be careful about the quality of their diamonds, as many of us when buying from them upgrade the diamond quality so that really are white and sparkly

minousbijoux (or anyone else) can you elaborate on this? I'm thinking of reseting my old e-ring to this setting of theirs - http://www.ebay.com/itm/6mm-Princess-Cut-85ct-VS-Diamond-14K-White-Gold-Engagement-Semi-Mount-Ring-7-5g-/251150461142?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2120821287521202825%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Sorry I missed your question. Since the diamonds in this setting are already VS, there is no need to upgrade them. His more expensive settings tend to come with better diamonds which is fine. The less expensive settings tend to have SI melees which aren't true SI showing either cloudiness and / or black spots which is why regulars recommend upgrading LOGR's SI melees.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wordie89|1348411253|3273166 said:
I hear that ovals are prone to extinction unless supernova or maybe Barion or Portuguese. Do the more experienced members of this forum agree? The color in the tsav above is so pretty but I wouldn't have expected extinction from vendor pic. Which reinforces the recommendations here to ask alot of questions.

I was once told that the choice of a pointed culet or keel type culet in a particular design can either eliminate this type of extinction or cause it. I see this half and half commonly on elongated type stones, oval and rectangular shapes only, bisecting it down the center into 2 equal "pieces". I've seen Barion cuts with this extinction but not Supernova cuts. I don't recall about oval Portuguese cuts. From certain angles, this characteristic cannot be seen, namely, at a certain distance and angle, hence is better as a pendant stone. As a ring stone, it will always been seen.

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
Please excuse my replying to my own post but I wanted to keep my reply connected. The ring arrived and been shipped back. Problem? Your thoughtful replies educated me on what to look for, namely gray and lifeless melee diamonds which I didn't know I should upgrade.

But even if the melee had been upgraded I have decided against a halo setting. It would be too blingy for my average day and I'd like a ring I can wear daily. Funny to say that about a $370 ring but the appearance of bling is what I'm talking about rather than how much it costs.

minousbijous, thanks for the welcome and suggestions.

Chrono, thanks for suggesting getting the stone first and then the ring. I was going about it backwards although I think I have to have both things in mind (stone+setting) in order to visualize what I want the final look to be.

So now I am looking at stones, stones that can stand up to daily wear and abuse (I'm a gardener like my name and a painter). Wish I could afford a colored diamond but after much surfing and looking those are out because I can't afford the ones I like and don't like the ones I can afford. I am just not attracted to white diamonds although I have (2) in 5 mm size inherited from mother and I'd like to set one in a ring.

What colored stones am I thinking of? Montana sapphires to match my DH's eye color. I replied on another thread that I thought my idea was soooo original. Not. But it was original to me since I'd never heard of anyone doing it before reading that post about a cornflower sapphire. My DH does not have super blue eyes so Montana sapph's are a better color match. Still searching.

There are sure a lot of badly cut stones on ebay. Reading these posts has shown me what a well cut colored stone looks like. So thanks everyone.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
From Gemfix

Merelani Garnet
Cut/Shape: Trillion Radiant Cut
Weight: 1.45ct
Measurements: 7.5mm
Clarity: VS
Origin:Tanzania
Enhancements: N
Price: $ 435.00
Description: Brilliant stone, apple green.

_1131.jpg

merelani_0.jpg

merelani_1.jpg

merelani_4.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
More pics of the Merelani garnet - a little more yellow than the vendor pics and less color saturation - a pity its saturation was so low, the cut and brilliance of the stone were exquisite.

merelani_6.jpg

merelani_10.jpg

merelani_11.jpg

merelani_12.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
more pics of the Merelani garnet. These were taken with an iPad camera so they are not that sharp and don't show the brilliance of the cut. They do portray the saturation of the stone accurately.

The last picture was the only pic I could take with decent saturation. This was taken under indoor fluorescent lighting at night.

merelani_13.jpg

_1133.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Precision cut stone by Peter Torraca

Peridot
Pakistan
weight: 1.75ct
clarity: EC1
width: 6.75mm
treat.: N
length: 6.77mm
design: Asscher-4 (pt)
price: $260

peridot1_1.jpg

_1160.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Roger Dery precision cut sapphire

1.58ct @ 6.2 x 6.2 x 4.50mm
Untreated, Umba River Valley, northeastern Tanzania

sapphireblueasscher1_0.jpg

dery_sapphire_my_pic.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
a better pic

sapphire_my_pic2.jpg

nsiderbam

Rough_Rock
I ended up going with one of the gemfix sapphires.

Montana Sapphire Round "Portuguese" Cut
Weight: 1.50 cts
Measurements: 6.5 mm, height 4.6mm
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1180.00 Sale Pending
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_294
Description: Sparkly light-medium blue, no green. Excellent cut and clarity.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 540C & 542C (in daylight)

sapphire1_4.jpg

sapphire11.jpg

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but very closely resembles the vendor photos above -- I'm pretty happy with it.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If that Montana is at all like the vendor pic on the hand, it must be a real beauty. Nice work.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Tried out a new vendor (for me)http://www.uppergems.com- I found them through Mattana who posted this Tsav in a group on FB (Fine faceted gemstone and Cab market)

A little mash up of my photos and the vendor (top left)

vendorcomp.jpg

imagardener2

Rough_Rock
nsider

what type setting are you planning? That is a very pretty stone, cut and color are gorgeous. I've been looking for a Montana also in a slightly different color but am also trying to imagine the setting at the same time. I like to pre-visualize even though everyone says "get the gem first".

What are your ideas?

all-sapphires

Rough_Rock
Trade
From my last trip to Madagascar
A rare size 21ct high quality Spessartite Garnet

1-img_0797.jpg

1-img_0812.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge size - it looks like a hessonite!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
I've been meaning to contribute to this thread for awhile. Here's a few:

5.75 ct mint green tourmaline from Jerry at Gem Art Services.

Vendor pic:
greenie.jpg

My pic. His pic was very true to life. If anything, he missed the blue modifer that shows up indoors.
greenie_box.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Yellow grossular garnet that I picked up from Gene earlier this year. I never posted about this and I don't know why - it's one of my favorite stones (hence my avatar). I need to set it but I have no idea what setting for it.

Gene's pic:

My pic:

yellow_grossular_garnet.jpg

garnetphoto.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Last for now, an aquamarine Peter Torraca cut for me. 2.72cts in a square cushion cut. Peter's cutting is so gorgeous.

Color-wise, I think his photo is true to life....perhaps a bit unfortunately. I loved this aqua when it first arrived, but it is def a bit of a steely ice blue as opposed to a richer blue-green than I was hoping for. But it's still pretty and I love the cutting so much, I'm thinking I will halo it in a pendant perhaps.

Peter's photo:

My photo, in fluorescent lighting

My photo, in incandescent lighting

_2694.jpg

aqua_fluor.jpg

aqua_incand.jpg

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
nsiderbam|1350741472|3289061 said:
I ended up going with one of the gemfix sapphires.

Montana Sapphire Round "Portuguese" Cut
Weight: 1.50 cts
Measurements: 6.5 mm, height 4.6mm
Origin: Montana, USA
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1180.00 Sale Pending
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_montana_294
Description: Sparkly light-medium blue, no green. Excellent cut and clarity.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
Pantone 540C & 542C (in daylight)

sapphire1_4.jpg

sapphire11.jpg

I haven't taken any pictures yet, but very closely resembles the vendor photos above -- I'm pretty happy with it.

Oh my! :love:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Jereni|1356904244|3343042 said:
Last for now, an aquamarine Peter Torraca cut for me. 2.72cts in a square cushion cut. Peter's cutting is so gorgeous.

Color-wise, I think his photo is true to life....perhaps a bit unfortunately. I loved this aqua when it first arrived, but it is def a bit of a steely ice blue as opposed to a richer blue-green than I was hoping for. But it's still pretty and I love the cutting so much, I'm thinking I will halo it in a pendant perhaps.

Peter's photo:

My photo, in fluorescent lighting

My photo, in incandescent lighting

Very very very pretty! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results