shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW VCA Byzantine Alhambra Pendant

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2016 isn't over yet, sooo.... I managed to squeeze in another purchase :wall: . I've been eyeing the Van Cleef & Arpel Byzantine Alhambra pendant for a while now.
http://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/collections/jewelry/alhambra/byzantine-alhambra/vcard38900-byzantine-alhambra-pendant.html?mid=793f1p4799&mkwid=sB8IGyhRv_dc&pcrid=103231425759&kword=&match=&plid=&gclid=CLL84KDP5dACFciPswodXi0FWQ

Sunday night, I decided to give VCA a call to confirm what I had read on the purse forum - that extensions/alterations on the chain are gratis at purchase, but if you go back after time passes, you have to PAY for the extension. I spoke with a rep, who brought to my attention that this necklace is limited in quantity. I already knew that the VCA in Manhattan didn't have this necklace (ac117 asked to see it when she visited the store, and they didn't have any). The rep also confirmed that the other VCA close to me also did not have this necklace in stock. Then she said "limited quantities", "2 week wait minimum", "holidays" and I ended up making an emotional purchase. :errrr:

The website indicated a chain length of 16.55", and I thought to myself, wow, I'll buy the necklace, put it on, and... drop dead from being choked to death (death by VCA). I waffled back and forth about having VCA extend the chain. IF I went this route, this is the process with the e-boutique: VCA sends you the necklace so that you can TRY it first and confirm that you DO in fact want to alter the chain length. Then you can either send it back by mail, or you can bring it to your local boutique, and they will then ship it to the workshop, which is apparently by the flagship NYC store or something like that.

I ultimately decided not to extend the necklace - I want to keep it standard length so that if i ever opt to sell it preloved, it's "standard" length, and instead contacted Wink's elf to create a 2" chain extension for me. Now this is where it gets interesting. I call VCA and get the same rep again a few days later, and she refuses to tell me the width of the chain. Wink's elf calls and they give her the info - they state 0.75-0.8mm, probably because it's a "bench" calling, we surmise. BTW - this is my first time working with Winfields, and Wink's Elf is AWESOME - quick, responsive, ABSOLUTELY wonderful customer service. I am so happy to have yet another reputable PS vendor to refer to others based on MY experience dealing with them. What you will see, though, once I post pics, is that each link may be 0.75-0.8, but the way they chain together, the necklace as a whole is over 1mm for sure. AND, I feel like someone is having a good laugh at my expense, because the type of chain is called "forcat". Like, REALLY, the cat obsessed lady ends up with a forCAT chain?!?!?! What the :confused: :lol:

So, I'm anticipating that this necklace is going to show up at the end of December, and I really want the extension chain in hand before my birthday (early January), so I go ahead and order it from Wink's elf. Guess what just happened an hour ago? Doorbell rings and a man hands me a BIG WHITE box that's on the HEAVY SIDE! WHAT?!?!?!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now I'm like :confused: how the heck is this box so heavy? Here's the unveiling!!! You can see how big the box is compared to the cats! As usual, Tin-Tin gets into the thick of things!
img_1898.jpg

I pop the top!
img_1899.jpg

I remove the little green bag and the white letter, and Tin-Tin tries to nab the bag! Ooo... a magazine for my coffee table!
img_1900_1.jpg

Underneath the magazine is a BIG BOX!
img_1901_1.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I lift the box out, and Ooo... shredded paper! and a green card (not the type to stay in the USA)
img_1902_0.jpg

Underneath the card is a wrapped box, and Tin-Tin is clearly taken by the shredded paper!
img_1903_3.jpg

I pop out the box - I love the ribbon and the thick thick wrapping paper!
img_1905_2.jpg

Ribbon removed!
img_1906_0.jpg

Wrapping paper reomved to reveal the white cardboard box!
img_1907_1.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cardboard box top popped off to reveal the pretty green jewelry box!
img_1908_0.jpg

I love this shade of green - so soothing! (especially after you drop all that dough! :errrr: )
img_1909_2.jpg

The REVEAL! Phew - the box isn't empty!
img_1911_3.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I broke out the tape measure so you can see how thick the chain is
img_1912.jpg

How big the alhambra is
img_1913.jpg

Ooo... there's more to the piece!
img_1914_1.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chain length - if this is looking to be 9" (half length), it looks like it would be longer than 16.55", no? :confused: (disclaimer - this is NOT just a VCR player - it's a DVD + VCR player, so it's NOT THAT vintage... yet!)
img_1915_1.jpg

Length of the chain to tip of pendant
img_1916_0.jpg

This can't be 16.55" if I'm alive and typing up this reply!
img_1917.jpg

And that's all she wrote (for now!) :wavey:

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats and I totally get the death by suffocation (Although, by VCA wouldn't be bad) feeling. :) Hopefully the extender comes in quickly and you can wear this beauty without thinking of strangulation !

dollyanjuli

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
ok first of all, i need to order from VCA just to get this packaging!!! WOW!!!

Also (and this may be weird) i kind of like the shorter chain. I don't know, something about the VCA Alhambra i like nestled up high so you can always see it, rather than hanging low. I think having a separate extender is great so you can go back and forth as you choose.

Their chains are just LUCIOUS. I literally run mine back and forth between my fingers like a psycho because of how smooth yet substantial it is *sigh*

Ok- MORE PICS PLEASE!!! This is such a fabulous piece! Is it going to be your everyday necklace?

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
What a fun post!

Congrats on your new baby! That chain is TDF.

It looks long enough on. Does it feel ok?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you for all the pics and especially the kitty reveal pics :love:

I'm a total sucker for quality wrap, box, ribbon, etc. Its part of what makes VCA luxe. Its a great argument for buying top notch! The small guys just don't get it. :wall:

Congrats on your fab new jewel and it looks wonderful on you. :D

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Resonance.Of.Life said:
Congrats and I totally get the death by suffocation (Although, by VCA wouldn't be bad) feeling. :) Hopefully the extender comes in quickly and you can wear this beauty without thinking of strangulation !
Thanks ROL! This length is fine if my top is low. But if I have a higher collar, the necklace could get lost under it, so the extender would be perfect to let the pendant be able to pop out and shine!
dollyanjuli said:
ok first of all, i need to order from VCA just to get this packaging!!! WOW!!!

Also (and this may be weird) i kind of like the shorter chain. I don't know, something about the VCA Alhambra i like nestled up high so you can always see it, rather than hanging low. I think having a separate extender is great so you can go back and forth as you choose.

Their chains are just LUCIOUS. I literally run mine back and forth between my fingers like a psycho because of how smooth yet substantial it is *sigh*

Ok- MORE PICS PLEASE!!! This is such a fabulous piece! Is it going to be your everyday necklace?
YEAH - I was like, this can't be VCA - it weighs a TON! I like the shorter chain, too, especially if I have a lower collared shirt. but if I have a sweater, or a turtle neck, I'd want to be able to get my pendant over the collar lololol. This is where an extra inch or 2 from the extension chain would totally help!

This is INDEED going to be an every day piece. I wrestled with which precious stone to go with, then when I stumbled upon the Byzantine Alhambra, it was like ding ding ding - it's "different", not as common, and I can SHOWER WITH IT safely! i think it's a great every day piece to complement my love bracelet (which I wear every day because I'm stuck in it)! I'm still under the weather, so that's it for now with the pics. I also want to keep the pendant in the box until either Christmas or my birthday - depending on my mood. I promise to take more pics when I get my extension chain!
iwantsparkle said:
What a fun post! Congrats on your new baby! That chain is TDF. It looks long enough on. Does it feel ok?
Thank you iwantsparkle! :wavey: It does feel ok. I'm just still like :shock: over the posted measurements online - it's definitely not 16.55"! OR maybe all that coughing I've been doing with this 2 week cold gave me an inadvertent neck workout that resulted in a slimmer neck!
azstonie said:
:appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you for all the pics and especially the kitty reveal pics :love:

I'm a total sucker for quality wrap, box, ribbon, etc. Its part of what makes VCA luxe. Its a great argument for buying top notch! The small guys just don't get it. :wall:

Congrats on your fab new jewel and it looks wonderful on you. :D
Thank you thank you! It's nice having ONE extra nosey cat that likes to participate in my reveals - much easier than chasing one down and bribing them with "cookies". The only reason why the other 2 cats came around was because I said "COOKIES" but as you can see, they were more interested in cookies than jewelry... :lickout:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it! :appl: And I agree it was a great choice to wear with a Love bracelet! Also, I am in agreement on the luxe packaging! Nothing else like it!

Somewhere on here there is a Show Me Your VCA thread, so I hope you will add your necklace!!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the package show=almost like a a striptease :oops: :lol: but the end was way cooler-a VCA Alahambra! Can't wait to see how the extender works and how it attaches. You say it is heavy-do you know the weight? Beautiful classic piece of jewelry.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1481253044|4105783 said:
I love it! :appl: And I agree it was a great choice to wear with a Love bracelet! Also, I am in agreement on the luxe packaging! Nothing else like it!

Somewhere on here there is a Show Me Your VCA thread, so I hope you will add your necklace!!!
Thank you DS! :wavey:
lambskin said:
Love the package show=almost like a a striptease :oops: :lol: but the end was way cooler-a VCA Alahambra! Can't wait to see how the extender works and how it attaches. You say it is heavy-do you know the weight? Beautiful classic piece of jewelry.
Thank you lambskin! I'll weight it tomorrow - I'm just short a strip of paper - the perforation for opening the box, and the wrapping paper around the jewelry box lolol.

BTW - of course I end up showing my toesies on SMTB with mis-matched socks! Each mate got a hole, so I got rid of them, and paired the remaining two together. :oops: (that's how I afford jewelry - skimping on my white ankle socks :???: :think: :lol: )

upgradingmama

Shiny_Rock
Premium
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: I'm still available for adoption. This is perfect!

Skhii

Shiny_Rock
OMG, THANK YOU for sharing the details you have, PintoBean! :appl: :dance: It looks wonderful! Love all the step-by-step unboxing and cat photos! I'm torn between enjoying the experience and lovely packaging, and the environmental impact. Your kitties and commentary really cheer me up though. Do you know what defines a forcat chain? The chain glossaries I've found do not have forcat listed as a style. Will the Winfields' extender be faceted just like VCA's chain? Can't wait to see more! ::) Congrats!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love how some of the cats are milling around in the background and THAT ONE is just like "hey, hey, look at this, look at me, look at me look at this, hey!" What a little character!

Beautiful necklace! And what an unboxing experience. I think having the chain extender will make it more versatile, but how fortunate that it doesn't need it so you could wear it right away! I hadn't seen this one before - I always like the alhambra things but this is sooo sleek and sexy, I love it even more than usual.

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations dear Pinto Bean! I've always loved ALL of the VC&A Alhambra varieties. Love the chain too! Wear it well. That's a forever piece for sure.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinto! I LOVE your VCA pendant and I love how you told the story. :appl:
The chain is gorgeous as is the pendant and it looks terrific on your neck!
And the luxurious packaging is an added bonus. What a classic gorgeous piece of jewelry to add to your bling repertoire. Nice going. :appl:

More pics pretty please. :halo:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty...and looks very nice on you!

ImVotingForSparkles

Rough_Rock
That's beautiful! I've been lusting after an Alhambra for Christmas.

Thanks for posting all the fun unboxing shots! These are the kind of pics I always look for and wish there were more of!

The chain looks to be around 16" to me. In the "half chain" pic the measurements seem to be from the 1" marker to the 9" one which makes it 8". Times two and you're in the ballpark of 16. I'd also go with an extender though, I like some more breathing room so to speak!

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
beautiful necklace and fun, great post! thank you! :love: :wavey:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE this!!!!!! I think it's a great addition to your already amazing collection and a great match for your love! Looks beautiful on and will be sooo versatile with the extender! I agree with others before me...more pics, more pics!!! :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats Pinto!! It's a fabulous and practical necklace. I love that you don't have to take it off and you can get it wet. :lol:

Enjoy wearing it. VCA feels great, doesn't it?

And I do really love all the stuff, the box, bag, all of it. Such a great reveal. Seems like your kitties had fun too!! ;-)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ImVotingForSparkles|1481295735|4105864 said:
That's beautiful! I've been lusting after an Alhambra for Christmas.

Thanks for posting all the fun unboxing shots! These are the kind of pics I always look for and wish there were more of!

The chain looks to be around 16" to me. In the "half chain" pic the measurements seem to be from the 1" marker to the 9" one which makes it 8". Times two and you're in the ballpark of 16. I'd also go with an extender though, I like some more breathing room so to speak!
Ermagherd!!! :oops: :o :???: I still have this pesky cold, I'm full of cold medicine, pulled a shoulder muscle coughing too hard, and rocked mismatched socks for a photoshoot without noticing. Sooo... that's my excuse for not recognizing that:
9-1=8
I can't... :lol: :lol: :lol: this is so embarrassing Bahahahaha!!!

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Oooooooooooh, I love this thread! I'm drooling with the unveiling of all of that packaginglittle bits at a time. I think Tin Tin is a great model too! Your new pendant looks lovely on you. I love everything about it. :love: It really looks like it will work perfectly for daily wear. Would love to see more pics and the new extender once you have it. I'm going to go now so I can start at the top of the thread and look through all of the lovely photos again! :appl: Congratulations! :clap:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
upgradingmama|1481257039|4105799 said:
:wavey: :wavey: :wavey: I'm still available for adoption. This is perfect!
HAHAHAAHA! Hi PS-daughter! :wavey:
Skhii said:
OMG, THANK YOU for sharing the details you have, PintoBean! :appl: :dance: It looks wonderful! Love all the step-by-step unboxing and cat photos! I'm torn between enjoying the experience and lovely packaging, and the environmental impact. Your kitties and commentary really cheer me up though. Do you know what defines a forcat chain? The chain glossaries I've found do not have forcat listed as a style. Will the Winfields' extender be faceted just like VCA's chain? Can't wait to see more! ::) Congrats!
Your welcome, skhii! :wavey: Let's hope that the shredded paper and what not is all recycled stuff. It's staying in my garage forever and ever and ever! I'm not sure either what a forcat chain is, but from some pictures online via google, some sure look like the construction paper chain links kids make bahahahaha :lol: As for the extender, I asked them not to bother trying to copy the VCA chain. I just didn't want a 5" thick gucci chain extender around the back of my neck - just try to stay close to the mm thickness.
distracts said:
I love how some of the cats are milling around in the background and THAT ONE is just like "hey, hey, look at this, look at me, look at me look at this, hey!" What a little character!

Beautiful necklace! And what an unboxing experience. I think having the chain extender will make it more versatile, but how fortunate that it doesn't need it so you could wear it right away! I hadn't seen this one before - I always like the alhambra things but this is sooo sleek and sexy, I love it even more than usual.
Thank you distracts :wavey: Can you tell that Tin-Tin is the BABY of the family? :lol: she ALWAYS pops into my bling pics LOLOLOL!
gemgirl said:
Congratulations dear Pinto Bean! I've always loved ALL of the VC&A Alhambra varieties. Love the chain too! Wear it well. That's a forever piece for sure.
thank you gemgirl :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My extender is here! Sorry some of the kitty photos are blurry but she's too damn cute to delete! I will take more pics when I put it together with the pendant. I'm having a PJs and Netflix Sunday.
img_1928.jpg img_1934.jpg img_1929.jpg img_1930.jpg img_1931.jpg img_1932.jpg img_1933.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love it Pinto, and love the chain! :appl:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
I love it-- the packaging, the chain, the cats! :love: :love: :love:
It looks fantastic on you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results