shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche u113 ...diamond upgrade need advice for setting

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
I am in the process of upgrading my diamond. Really thought I wanted a cushion, but I think I'm back to round. So, I'm looking at 3 carats in size (eeeeekkkk. So excited. I never thought this day would come). Anyhow, being that we will be spending some dollars for the upgrade , I know I can't spend a lot on setting. I was really wanting the vatche that looks just like a Tiffany. So, are there any ps peeps on here that would have some advice on what to do for a temp setting or getting a lower cost Tiffany repro? Also, for those of you that have this setting with a large diamond in it, do you like how high it sits etc? I have been looking n this forum a lot lately and you all know your stuff! I love looking at everyone's bling. It truly is like diamond **** over here :dance:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you upgrading through a specific vendor? If so, we can tell you what they have that is similar. Otherwise, you can have one custom made for less than the Vatche. If you buy your new diamond through Whiteflash, they have a Tiffany repro that is really good.

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
We will use the jeweler in our town thAt we purchased the current diamond from. They offer 100 percent upgrade policy so I can't go wrong there. I would like to find the setting I want at the best price though. I really want something plain so as to let the center stone show it's stuff with out competition. Currently, I have a halo and while I love it, I'm always paranoid about knocking the diamonds off so don't wear it as much. I don't want a ring that sits so high its almost in your face either. I saw one last week IRL and it wAs probably About 3-4 carats, and her setting is SO high, I wonder how it doesn't get chipped. So, while yes...I do want a bigger diamond, I don't want it to look like a gumball ring I also want it to sit flush with my band(s).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458757672|4009926 said:
We will use the jeweler in our town thAt we purchased the current diamond from. They offer 100 percent upgrade policy so I can't go wrong there. I would like to find the setting I want at the best price though. I really want something plain so as to let the center stone show it's stuff with out competition. Currently, I have a halo and while I love it, I'm always paranoid about knocking the diamonds off so don't wear it as much. I don't want a ring that sits so high its almost in your face either. I saw one last week IRL and it wAs probably About 3-4 carats, and her setting is SO high, I wonder how it doesn't get chipped. So, while yes...I do want a bigger diamond, I don't want it to look like a gumball ring I also want it to sit flush with my band(s).

I would contact Caysie of CVB Inspired Design. She is on Etsy and FB. I am going to have her make me a Tiff Repro (as soon as/if my halo sells). The only change I'm making is thinner shank than the original T&Co. (which can get a little thick as the diamond gets larger) and claw prongs. I believe the Vatche shank is thinner as well. But she can do whatever you'd like, and she does exceptional work. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to add that she was a several hundred less than the quote I got from WF (their repro) and WAAAAAY less than the quote from Vatche. :bigsmile:

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
Ok, I will look at that tonight, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between claw and regular prongs? This is my last diamond upgrade....I have promised the hubby :twirl: so need to make it right!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458756133|4009911 said:
I am in the process of upgrading my diamond. Really thought I wanted a cushion, but I think I'm back to round. So, I'm looking at 3 carats in size (eeeeekkkk. So excited. I never thought this day would come). Anyhow, being that we will be spending some dollars for the upgrade , I know I can't spend a lot on setting. I was really wanting the vatche that looks just like a Tiffany. So, are there any ps peeps on here that would have some advice on what to do for a temp setting or getting a lower cost Tiffany repro? Also, for those of you that have this setting with a large diamond in it, do you like how high it sits etc? I have been looking n this forum a lot lately and you all know your stuff! I love looking at everyone's bling. It truly is like diamond **** over here :dance:

NICHLO, I only have a generic 6 prong temp setting from the place I bought my new stone (Diamonds Direct) -- but it was FREE, so I really can't complain... Regarding the height, it seemed really high to me at first, but they set it as low as they could without burying the culet. I thought it was much higher than my last setting, but after closer inspection, my halo was a little bit higher! The difference was the proportions and the head. My halo had a much thicker shank and gradually angled up to the "head". This temp setting had no angle, it is just a head on a band, so it looks more like a "bobble head". LOL I am used to it now, but I will like it even more when I get my "real" solitaire setting from Caysie -- MUCH more refined!

I can't wait to see what you decide! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Tiffany repro is not going to have the bands sit totally flush; there will be a tiny gap. There are girls here with 4 and 5 carat stones in the Whiteflash version, but they got their stones there. Not sure WF will make it for stones not bought there. Otherwise, here is a nice one, but I am not sure of the price in platinum. It will be a little more than this price.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-jovyn-solitaire/ (this is Caysie van Bebber...you order through Love Affair Diamonds)

I really advise not wasting money on a temp setting when you know what you want. Are there no jewelers in your city that carry Vatche? By the time you pay to send your 3 ct stone somewhere for a custom setting, you'd probably be close to the price of having it set in the Vatche locally. Also, Vatche will make the ring in a harder platinum alloy if you request it (either 900platinum/iridium or 950 platinum/ruthenium).

One other thing. I am glad you found this forum before doing your upgrade! We definitely share your love of beautiful diamonds! I just want to offer help in getting the best cut diamond possible for your upgrade. Not all GIA Excellent cut stones are equal.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458758439|4009935 said:
Ok, I will look at that tonight, thanks. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between claw and regular prongs? This is my last diamond upgrade....I have promised the hubby :twirl: so need to make it right!

I totally understand, NICHLO! This is my final upgrade too, and if I'm gonna go soli, it's gotta be right, KWIM?? ;)) Original Tiffany and the U113 has small squared "tab" like prongs. They are very small and very "Tiffany". I just love the way Caysie does her claw prongs, so that is why I'm strongly considering the little change.

Let me get on my phone and I'll show you what I mean. BRB! :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1458758797|4009939 said:
A Tiffany repro is not going to have the bands sit totally flush; there will be a tiny gap. There are girls here with 4 and 5 carat stones in the Whiteflash version, but they got their stones there. Not sure WF will make it for stones not bought there. Otherwise, here is a nice one, but I am not sure of the price in platinum. It will be a little more than this price.

I recently got a quote from WF for this very thing... 3.33 carat (so very close in comparison to OP's stone). WF's version was very expensive -- just a couple hundred below the actual Vatche. Both in platinum :blackeye: I'm assuming they would be more flexible with their pricing for setting their own stones? Idk... Hope this helps.

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-jovyn-solitaire/ (this is Caysie van Bebber...you order through Love Affair Diamonds)

I really advise not wasting money on a temp setting when you know what you want. Are there no jewelers in your city that carry Vatche? By the time you pay to send your 3 ct stone somewhere for a custom setting, you'd probably be close to the price of having it set in the Vatche locally. Also, Vatche will make the ring in a harder platinum alloy if you request it (either 900platinum/iridium or 950 platinum/ruthenium).

One other thing. I am glad you found this forum before doing your upgrade! We definitely share your love of beautiful diamonds! I just want to offer help in getting the best cut diamond possible for your upgrade. Not all GIA Excellent cut stones are equal.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.3

crown angle: 34-35.0

pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

DS, my diamond's specs were just a bit off from your list... but it's more of a 60/60 stone. So I wouldn't totally disregard stones that aren't exactly within the parameters before you can run the HCA and see them. ;))

59% table
58.8% depth
34.0 CA
40.6 PA

HCA: 0.7 (sub 1.0, so really spready!) -- thanks for your cheat sheet, by the way :))

I do recommend at least getting a quote from Caysie... she came in way under Vatche. And her stuff is PERFECT!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, so this is the WF version with claw prongs.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458759588.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the Jovyn by CVB with claw prongs.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458759652.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also have had great work done by Caysie/Love Affair Diamonds, so I do highly recommend that option. You'll just have to send your diamond to Love Affair Diamonds by USPS Registered Mail (insured up to $50k) which is very secure and safe, just not always super fast.

Thanks for explaining the pricing differences, msop!

I was posting prong pics at the same time!

The 4th picture shows the claw prongs on the CVB version:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-jovyn-solitaire/

Original Tiffany style prongs:

img_0837_for_iphone.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has the smaller tab prongs.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458759840.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, those numbers I gave pretty much assure staying within ideal cut parameters, but if she wants to consider outside of that, then yes, the HCA could help her be sure she was getting a stone that scores 2.0 or lower.

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

I'd get Caysie's (Love Affair Daimonds) version of the solitaire instead of the Vatche now. That wasn't an option back when I got the Vatche.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1458759697|4009954 said:
I also have had great work done by Caysie/Love Affair Diamonds, so I do highly recommend that option. You'll just have to send your diamond to Love Affair Diamonds by USPS Registered Mail (insured up to $50k) which is very secure and safe, just not always super fast.

Thanks for explaining the pricing differences, msop!

I was posting prong pics at the same time!

The 4th picture shows the claw prongs on the CVB version:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/the-jovyn-solitaire/

Original Tiffany style prongs:

Yes!! I was looking for a good pic of yours when I realized it was your avatar -- DUH! LOL :lol: :lol:

Caysie estimated the shipping on my stone would be about $75... I will post the images I showed her. She said she could make a ring that was very much a perfect combination of U113/Tiff and the Jovyn!

DANG, SOMEONE PLEEEAAASSSSE BUY MY SETTING!! :boohoo: :boohoo: :shifty: :halo:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the photo I sent Caysie. I wanted the look of the Tiff version (I believe this was original Tiffany) with the Jovyn claws. She was super sweet and helpful -- I absolutely can't wait to work with her!!

EDIT: Top is WF, bottom original T&Co.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458760153.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop, I am so excited that you chose to work with CVB! She has been wonderful and you could see what an incredible job she did on my new sapphire ring! Your new diamond will be gorgeous in that elegant setting! :love:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I keep going back and forth on the type of prongs I will get, but, honestly, I don't think I could possibly go wrong with Caysie making it! :love: :love: :love:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458760413|4009973 said:
I keep going back and forth on the type of prongs I will get, but, honestly, I don't think I could possibly go wrong with Caysie making it! :love: :love: :love:

No, you can't go wrong! I think the claws are more elegant, but I have had Tiffany mistake my setting for theirs, so there is something nice about having an exact Tiffany repro! I wear mine with the Legacy band, too. I have intended for her to make me a setting for the AVR that is a little more antique in style, but I haven't been able to settle on what it would be!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1458760344|4009971 said:
msop, I am so excited that you chose to work with CVB! She has been wonderful and you could see what an incredible job she did on my new sapphire ring! Your new diamond will be gorgeous in that elegant setting! :love:

Thanks so much, DS! I'm super pumped too!!! She is a sweetheart, for sure! I'm in love with all her pieces -- yours is exquisite, btw!

Although I love a good halo, I think this new stone has made me a true halo-to-soli convert! I just love the simplicity and wearability if offers. Tshirt and jeans? No problem! LBD -- score! Always in style and effortlessly chic! I don't know if you remember, but one of my very first threads was "Tiffany or Tacori" where I couldn't decide what type of setting for my upcoming engagement... at least I knew what I liked then too! ...I just needed the right diamond!

OP, I'm very excited for you! I'm sure your new upgrade will be an absolute showstopper! :appl: :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in total agreement! A classic solitaire and diamond studs can go with everything! I love your halo, too, and think it would be a really nice rhr with a colored stone. So don't sell it too low because it is too nice to just give away! I don't wear a rhr everyday, so I do like having the classic solitaire more for everyday and then the halo rhr for special occasions.

NICHLO...good luck to you, and let us know if we can help you further! :wavey: You can see we are enthusiastic about your options! :lol:

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
I'm also about the commit to the U113 setting, but now that I just saw this jovyn one, I'm really in love with it. Aside from the prongs, what is it a bout this one that is different from the Vatche? Is it because it is thinner in the shank near the diamond? I know the Vatche thickens up towards it but this one looks thinner.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cchloe said:
I'm also about the commit to the U113 setting, but now that I just saw this jovyn one, I'm really in love with it. Aside from the prongs, what is it a bout this one that is different from the Vatche? Is it because it is thinner in the shank near the diamond? I know the Vatche thickens up towards it but this one looks thinner.

The lines are a little sleeker... Go to Caysie's FB page -- I believe there is a shot with an 8ish mm stone on white metal. If not, just use google images. [emoji4]

I agree, it's sooo elegant!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here ya go! I [emoji7][emoji7] these prongs! They are sort of an inbetween of the classic Tiffany and "claws"...

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458765616.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both of these are the Jovyn... Just different style prongs. They are both beautiful! [emoji1316]

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458765811.jpg

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
Wow girls! Thanks for all of your expertise. I can hardly wait to get home and look into all of the pics you have posted. I definitely have things to consider now. Thanks!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1458765821|4010038 said:
Wow girls! Thanks for all of your expertise. I can hardly wait to get home and look into all of the pics you have posted. I definitely have things to consider now. Thanks!

No problem, NICHLO!! I'm super excited for you! It's good to know that you can have the original "Tiff" look OR have it tweaked a bit to your personal preferences!

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
I love those too, I actually intended on asking for them. Most of the U113's on the Whiteflash website seems to have those pointed prongs, so I knew this option existed.

screen_shot_2016-03-13_at_12_1.png

screen_shot_2016-03-13_at_12_0.png

screen_shot_2016-03-13_at_12.png

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Yes exactly! I love the inbetween ones. They aren't claw, just pointed.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results