clarity

Vatche u113 ...diamond upgrade need advice for setting

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
msop04|1458865419|4010653 said:
Would you mind going over the differences? [emoji851]

Carebear has already pretty much explained the alloys, but I'll just add a note. The standard you usually find in stock fine jewelry is 95%platinum/5%iridium and that is the softest of the three and scratches more easily. 95%platinum/5%ruthenium is what Tiffany uses and is hardest. The other platinum that is more often used in handforging and other handmade pieces (Victor Canera, CVB, etc) is 90%platinum/10%iridium and it is also harder than the standard. I have my Vatche ring made in 900 platinum (90%plat/10iridium), and I wear it with a Tiffany Legacy band that has the plat/ruthenium. I can't see any difference in the two. Because of the tiny doughnut on the Vatche ring, the wedding band doesn't rub up against it, so the e-ring stays very shiny. The sides of the Legacy band have a slight patina from rubbing the e-ring doughnut, but you really can't see it since it is on the sides. Of course, I could have it polished if I ever wanted to.

Thanks for the explanations, y'all!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cchloe said:
msop04|1459032015|4011478 said:
My J always glowed "warm" in a dim room, but the halo made it appear brighter, I think... my I color really pops in dim light though. The room was really dark, but it just glowed! (in all fairness, my J wasn't nearly as nice of a cut as this one -- 2.7 HCA vs. 0.7)... :halo:

in_a_dim_room.jpg

msop04 excuse my uselessness for not being able to find a post about your diamond's stats but how many carats and what does it measure?! And what is your ring size? I'm loving it.

No problem! [emoji8]

3.33 ct (9.8 mm)
GIA XXX
I/SI2 (white feather)

Size 5.25

Edit: 0.8 HCA... Just noticed I made a typo [emoji16]

FYI: Yssie said stones with <1 on the HCA are spready for their weight. Ya learn something new every day! [emoji6]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458760168|4009969 said:
This is the photo I sent Caysie. I wanted the look of the Tiff version (I believe this was original Tiffany) with the Jovyn claws. She was super sweet and helpful -- I absolutely can't wait to work with her!!

EDIT: Top is WF, bottom original T&Co.

This is kind of funny, but I just realized that I believe that is my ring on the bottom! I gave it to Caysie last year in Las Vegas to reset, and then I had doubts about what I wanted to do and eventually had her send it back to me. I had her set the sapphire instead.

(Sorry the pic didn't repost! But it was from page 1 of the thread!)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
msop04|1458760168|4009969 said:
This is the photo I sent Caysie. I wanted the look of the Tiff version (I believe this was original Tiffany) with the Jovyn claws. She was super sweet and helpful -- I absolutely can't wait to work with her!!

EDIT: Top is WF, bottom original T&Co.

This is kind of funny, but I just realized that I believe that is my ring on the bottom! I gave it to Caysie last year in Las Vegas to reset, and then I had doubts about what I wanted to do and eventually had her send it back to me. I had her set the sapphire instead.

OMG! Well, there ya go! [emoji2] I could've SWORN it was T&Co!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. I'm starting to go back to tab prongs again... AAAHHHHH! [emoji16][emoji16]
ce2e2112c7ef2fe10e54704ec0fd7975.jpg

I stare at these all day.
...and I haven't even sold my halo yet. Geez, I need an intervention. [emoji39]

Edited due to lack of sleep! HA!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
msop04|1458765935|4010039 said:
NICHLO|1458765821|4010038 said:
Wow girls! Thanks for all of your expertise. I can hardly wait to get home and look into all of the pics you have posted. I definitely have things to consider now. Thanks!

No problem, NICHLO!! I'm super excited for you! It's good to know that you can have the original "Tiff" look OR have it tweaked a bit to your personal preferences!

This thread has been super helpful. I decided to go with CVB as well for my new solitaire. I just can't decide between her longer claws or shorter claws.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlmom said:
Wow girls! Thanks for all of your expertise. I can hardly wait to get home and look into all of the pics you have posted. I definitely have things to consider now. Thanks!

No problem, NICHLO!! I'm super excited for you! It's good to know that you can have the original "Tiff" look OR have it tweaked a bit to your personal preferences!

This thread has been super helpful. I decided to go with CVB as well for my new solitaire. I just can't decide between her longer claws or shorter claws.

Yay!! I'm excited for you!! I've finally found the prongs I want -- they remind me of vintage T&Co... You're ring will be PERFECT! Caysie's work is unbelievable!! [emoji7][emoji7]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the prongs I'm having a steamy *LURVFEST* over... [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7]
f5b66f0b562e0de431f4e34504627527.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
...by Caysie, of course! [emoji18][emoji18]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are great prongs and very much like the real Tiffany. Even though you can really see my prongs in these highly magnified pics, they are pretty tiny in real life viewing.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Those are great prongs and very much like the real Tiffany. Even though you can really see my prongs in these highly magnified pics, they are pretty tiny in real life viewing.

They are very similar, and both are gorgeous -- I'd be happy with either! [emoji5]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your new stone will be gorgeous in the classic Tiffany setting, for sure!!! I am excited for you!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Your new stone will be gorgeous in the classic Tiffany setting, for sure!!! I am excited for you!

Thanks!!! NOW SOMEONE BUY MY SETTING!! [emoji12][emoji56]

girlmom

Rough_Rock
Those prongs look great! Are they less square and smaller than current Tiffany prongs? I can't decide on tabs or claws!! Cvb takes 5 weeks..I'm going to have such a hard time waiting!!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
msop04|1460239828|4017389 said:
girlmom said:

Yay!! I'm excited for you!! I've finally found the prongs I want -- they remind me of vintage T&Co... You're ring will be PERFECT! Caysie's work is unbelievable!! [emoji7][emoji7]

I'm so glad I found cvb through tou ladies!! Btw I was on pricescope on ig and I came across your ig. I think I recognized it coz you have the same username. I sent you a private message. :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlmom said:
Those prongs look great! Are they less square and smaller than current Tiffany prongs? I can't decide on tabs or claws!! Cvb takes 5 weeks..I'm going to have such a hard time waiting!!

They look a little more "low profile," but very similar. It will definitely be worth the wait! [emoji1303]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlmom said:
girlmom said:

I'm so glad I found cvb through tou ladies!! Btw I was on pricescope on ig and I came across your ig. I think I recognized it coz you have the same username. I sent you a private message. :)

I'll be looking for it!

girlmom

Rough_Rock
msop04|1460260551|4017489 said:
girlmom said:
girlmom said:

I'll be looking for it!

Question for you ladies! I really would like my wedding band to sit flush with the diamond ring. It looks like both the vatche u113 and CVB jovyn have donuts that would prevent it from sitting flush. I do not love the look of a spacer. Anything solitaire settings without a donut?

girlmom

Rough_Rock
msop04|1460260551|4017489 said:
girlmom said:
girlmom said:

I'll be looking for it!

Question for you ladies! I really would like my wedding band to sit flush with the diamond ring. It looks like both the vatche u113 and CVB jovyn have donuts that would prevent it from sitting flush. I do not love the look of a spacer. Anything solitaire settings without a donut?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly prefer the doughnut and very tiny gap. Unless the rings fit pretty tight (which would be awful), they are not going to stay flush all the time anyway. The tiny doughnut protects the shank of the e-ring from getting rubbed and scratched by the wedding band. I also just like a doughnut base on most rings because it just looks better to me.

But sure, you can have a setting custom made that is flush if you want. Any custom ring maker can do that.

Here are a couple by Victor Canera:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/solitaire-with-flush-stems

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

girlmom

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1460478216|4018307 said:
I strongly prefer the doughnut and very tiny gap. Unless the rings fit pretty tight (which would be awful), they are not going to stay flush all the time anyway. The tiny doughnut protects the shank of the e-ring from getting rubbed and scratched by the wedding band. I also just like a doughnut base on most rings because it just looks better to me.

But sure, you can have a setting custom made that is flush if you want. Any custom ring maker can do that.

Here are a couple by Victor Canera:

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/solitaire-with-flush-stems

https://www.victorcanera.com/rings/engagement/the-evelyn-solitaire-with-flush-stems

Thanks!!

Another question...the vatche is pretty pricey. 2.5x the cost of a no-name brand replica by GOG. I'm having a hard time justifying the cost of the vatche but I'm scared I'm going to end up with a strange looking solitaire with monster prongs. Ah what to do! I might just have to do the CVB!

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
Hi girlmom, I'm not sure what the etiquette is for discussing pricing between vendors for the same product but I thought I would just throw it out there that I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less for the U-113 in platinum through ID Jewelry, and this is also for a 2.6 ct stone. You can even see the price of the setting on Whiteflash is lower. Well IDJ is even less than that :shifty:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cchloe said:
Hi girlmom, I'm not sure what the etiquette is for discussing pricing between vendors for the same product but I thought I would just throw it out there that I paid SIGNIFICANTLY less for the U-113 in platinum through ID Jewelry, and this is also for a 2.6 ct stone. You can even see the price of the setting on Whiteflash is lower. Well IDJ is even less than that :shifty:

I'd like to add that I got a price quote from IDJ on the U113... It was almost TWICE my quote from CVB, and that was with NO modification to the Vatché. Any mods would be an additional charge. I didn't inquire further, as I was in love with Caysie's Jovyn with a few minor mods. [emoji7]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option would be a Tiff replica from Eternity by Yoni. His quote was very reasonable. You may consider emailing him.

girlmom

Rough_Rock
So we negotiated a good deal on the stone itself and I'm wondering if that's why they are charging us more for the vatche.

They also offered me this ring that he says is the closest they have to Tiffany's and Vatche for $1150. Much better price than the $2500 for the Vatche. What do you think ladies? I told him the monster prongs were scaring me and he assured me that once the diamond is set, they would shave it down and it would look good. He also said they could make it 2 mm instead of 2.25.

I would LOVE to go with CVB but it takes 6 weeks to produce and I would still have to pay the shipping and insurance fees to get the stone to her and back.

gog_setting.png

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girlmom said:
So we negotiated a good deal on the stone itself and I'm wondering if that's why they are charging us more for the vatche.

They also offered me this ring that he says is the closest they have to Tiffany's and Vatche for $1150. Much better price than the $2500 for the Vatche. What do you think ladies? I told him the monster prongs were scaring me and he assured me that once the diamond is set, they would shave it down and it would look good. He also said they could make it 2 mm instead of 2.25.

I would LOVE to go with CVB but it takes 6 weeks to produce and I would still have to pay the shipping and insurance fees to get the stone to her and back.

gog_setting.png

That sounds like your best option. [emoji1303]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is in platinum? Absolutely show them what you expect the prongs to look like.

Also, request either:

90% platinum, 10% iridium

or

95% platinum, 5% ruthenium

Get that and the prongs all in writing with the pricing.

girlmom

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1460482919|4018362 said:
That is in platinum? Absolutely show them what you expect the prongs to look like.

Also, request either:

90% platinum, 10% iridium

or

95% platinum, 5% ruthenium

Get that and the prongs all in writing with the pricing.

Yes in platinum. THANK YOU guys for all the help!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results