carat
color
clarity

Vatche u113 ...diamond upgrade need advice for setting

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cchloe said:
Yes exactly! I love the inbetween ones. They aren't claw, just pointed.

I'm with you, cchloe! [emoji95][emoji1363][emoji95]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jovyn on top, U113 bottom left, and T&Co. bottom right.

...and, yes, I have too much time on my hands today. [emoji12][emoji56]

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458766727.jpg

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
I love all of these settings! The problem is this....my budget is maxed out on the upgrade for the diamond. If my huz finds out I want a $1600 setting in addition....well let's just say he won't be pleased So, any ideas on a temp setting. I agree with DS about not spending money on that but I just don't know what else to do!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO said:
I love all of these settings! The problem is this....my budget is maxed out on the upgrade for the diamond. If my huz finds out I want a $1600 setting in addition....well let's just say he won't be pleased So, any ideas on a temp setting. I agree with DS about not spending money on that but I just don't know what else to do!

I completely understand, OP... until I can sell my old setting, I am in the same boat as you. You could search on eBay for a simple six prong solitaire setting… don't spend too much, because you know that you're going to replace it ASAP. I wouldn't spend more than $300.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458765620|4010034 said:
Here ya go! I [emoji7][emoji7] these prongs! They are sort of an inbetween of the classic Tiffany and "claws"...

I think this would be my choice, too!

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
NICHLO|1458778107|4010122 said:

For a real temporary setting, you can get one of the 6 prong settings from BGD or WF in 14k gold. They are only 325-350$. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/six-prong-solitaire-14k-white-gold-5351w14 and http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm

Or if you want something in between, their Tiffany style settings are pretty nice, I've seen a lot of beautiful diamonds set on them on this site. In 18k gold, they are a cheaper alternative to the Vatche at around 850$ but you could probably be happy with that setting for quite awhile. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-half-round-18k-white-gold-5478w18
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-knife-edge-18k-white-gold-5336w18
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-713.htm

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cchloe said:
NICHLO|1458778107|4010122 said:

For a real temporary setting, you can get one of the 6 prong settings from BGD or WF in 14k gold. They are only 325-350$. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/six-prong-solitaire-14k-white-gold-5351w14 and http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/6-prong-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-582.htm

Or if you want something in between, their Tiffany style settings are pretty nice, I've seen a lot of beautiful diamonds set on them on this site. In 18k gold, they are a cheaper alternative to the Vatche at around 850$ but you could probably be happy with that setting for quite awhile. http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-half-round-18k-white-gold-5478w18
http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-style-knife-edge-18k-white-gold-5336w18
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/contemporary-tiffany-style-solitaire-engagement-ring-1416.htm
http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/classic-tiffany-style-knife-edge-solitaire-engagement-ring-713.htm

If you knew you were gonna upgrade, I'd do the less expensive option. Because for several hundred more than the others, you could have CVB. [emoji848]

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine is VERY basic, and it's not bothering me too badly... It was free, but can be purchased for about $250.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458785304.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458785369.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458785536.jpg

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458785563.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am going to agree with msop that I wouldn't spend more than about $300 on a temp setting. Get 14k white gold. Your local jeweler should be able to get a simple Stuller 6 prong solitaire for you (like what msop showed you). Just tell them you want the head to be low instead of high. (This is basically what WF and BG sell as their base solitaire settings, but all jewelers can get them and you won't have to send your stone anywhere. Plus your jeweler would have to cover the diamond while being set since he is selling the diamond to you.)

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458785436|4010173 said:
Mine is VERY basic, and it's not bothering me too badly... It was free, but can be purchased for about $250.
msop, FINALLY more pics of you new beauty! :love: :love: :love:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cchloe|1458765998|4010041 said:
I love those too, I actually intended on asking for them. Most of the U113's on the Whiteflash website seems to have those pointed prongs, so I knew this option existed.
cchloe, if Vatche sets the stone, you will get the Tiffany "tabs". If WF sets it, you will get the WF "claws", unless you request otherwise.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear said:
I love those too, I actually intended on asking for them. Most of the U113's on the Whiteflash website seems to have those pointed prongs, so I knew this option existed.
cchloe, if Vatche sets the stone, you will get the Tiffany "tabs". If WF sets it, you will get the WF "claws", unless you request otherwise.

...and if you choose Caysie, you'll get any modifications you want -- for a lot less! [emoji8][emoji8][emoji12]

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmm... my old "head" had Jovyn-esq prongs, just slightly bigger. I had no idea they were so coveted! I actually had WF give my new stone, "tabs". Now I'm not so sure the "tabs" look better. WF production told me afterwards "tabs" are much easier to do than "claws", because with "claws" they have to shave each one down exactly the same shape and size. Tiffany does "tabs" because it is easier to make "tabs" consistent. But looking at the more recent pics of the Tiffany solitaire, the prongs are no longer consistent from ring to ring :cheeky:

cimg3062-small.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear said:
Hmm... my old "head" had Jovyn-esq prongs, just slightly bigger. I had no idea they were so coveted! I actually had WF give my new stone, "tabs". Now I'm not so sure the "tabs" look better. WF production told me afterwards "tabs" are much easier to do than "claws", because with "claws" they have to shave each one down exactly the same shape and size. Tiffany does "tabs" because it is easier to make "tabs" consistent. But looking at the more recent pics of the Tiffany solitaire, the prongs are no longer consistent from ring to ring :cheeky:

I agree with the inconsistency. I'm so torn about the prong style! I love the "inbetween" but, as DS mentioned, there's just something about those Tiffany's tabs that make me wonder if I really want to stray from the original look... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

#firstworldproblems [emoji12]

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458842814|4010455 said:
I agree with the inconsistency. I'm so torn about the prong style! I love the "inbetween" but, as DS mentioned, there's just something about those Tiffany's tabs that make me wonder if I really want to stray from the original look... [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

I know, seriously #firstworldproblems! Well, I'm not sure anyone else in the any world have our "problem" here. Perhaps, this is the kinda dilemma "created" by being on PS. I for one, have spent WAY too many hrs of my life on prongs. You should have seen my DH's face when I asked for his opinion on "prong choices" for my new stone. :cheeky:

Since I've had both types of prongs, I can't really say one is better than the other. You kinda want "claws" when you've got the "tabs" and vice versa. :knockout:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CareBear said:
msop04|1458842814|4010455 said:

I know, seriously #firstworldproblems! Well, I'm not sure anyone else in the any world have our "problem" here. Perhaps, this is the kinda dilemma "created" by being on PS. I for one, have spent WAY too many hrs of my life on prongs. You should have seen my DH's face when I asked for his opinion on "prong choices" for my new stone. :cheeky:

I don't dare ask my DH! LOL [emoji23][emoji23]

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
CareBear|1458841183|4010435 said:
They can do some nice soft "claws." My RC had really nice claw style tips.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame said:
CareBear|1458841183|4010435 said:
They can do some nice soft "claws." My RC had really nice claw style tips.

Yes, ame, I thought of your ring! Lovely claws, indeed! [emoji8]

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
So, I have looked at all these posts and all the rings start to look the same after awhile. I guess I need to check some out in person. My heart is set on a Tiffany setting (repro), and maybe I'll bite the bullet and just do the vatche. I don't see spending extra dollars unless I do what msop suggested and get something for $200 or so. I am going to ask my jewler if he will put in temp setting for me. Worth a shot!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is there a local jeweler that sells Vatche? Because if there is, then you wouldn't have to send your new diamond off to be set. But if you are going to have to send it off regardless, I'd personally save some money have have Caysie make the setting. If you want the Tiffany style prongs, she can do that, too. I will tell you that the Vatche shank is just a little thinner than the real Tiffany. I prefer the Vatche width because it gives me room to wear bands with the e-ring. But if you are wanting a pretty exact replica, you need wider than a 2mm shank.

I do need to add that the Tiffany style prong tips are tiny in real life viewing. I just see little dots where they are and it is not so obvious what style they are.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
Is there a local jeweler that sells Vatche? Because if there is, then you wouldn't have to send your new diamond off to be set. But if you are going to have to send it off regardless, I'd personally save some money have have Caysie make the setting. If you want the Tiffany style prongs, she can do that, too. I will tell you that the Vatche shank is just a little thinner than the real Tiffany. I prefer the Vatche width because it gives me room to wear bands with the e-ring. But if you are wanting a pretty exact replica, you need wider than a 2mm shank.

I do need to add that the Tiffany style prong tips are tiny in real life viewing. I just see little dots where they are and it is not so obvious what style they are.

There was no Vatché dealer near me, and honestly, I did not want to pay $2400 for a solitaire setting anyway. I truly feel like Caysie can do anything, and probably save me almost a grand for the same setting. [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji7]

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458862848|4010626 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

There was no Vatché dealer near me, and honestly, I did not want to pay $2400 for a solitaire setting anyway. I truly feel like Caysie can do anything, and probably save me almost a grand for the same setting. [emoji389][emoji389][emoji389][emoji7]

No, I would not have paid that, either! I have absolutely no doubt that Caysie can make it as well or better! Do ask for either 900platinum/iridium or 950platinum/ruthenium. I can't remember if we discussed that on this thread or not.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006 said:
msop04|1458862848|4010626 said:
diamondseeker2006 said:

No, I would not have paid that, either! I have absolutely no doubt that Caysie can make it as well or better! Do ask for either 900platinum/iridium or 950platinum/ruthenium. I can't remember if we discussed that on this thread or not.

Would you mind going over the differences? [emoji851]

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458865419|4010653 said:
emoji851 said:
Do ask for either 900platinum/iridium or 950platinum/ruthenium. I can't remember if we discussed that on this thread or not.
I remember Diamondseeker's explanation from another thread so I will attempt it here. 950 means 95% PT and 5% "other material". PT itself is a "softer" metal, too soft to be used by itself. PT mixed with ruthenium is "stronger" and more scratch resistant than PT mixed with iridium, so 950platinum/ruthenium will be more durable than 950platinum/iridium. However, since PT/iridium is more commonly used than PT/ruthenium, it is possible that a vendor only offers PT/iridium, in which case you should ask if they can use 900platinum/iridium instead of 950.

In the photo I attached above, the band is actually from Tiffany and Tiffany uses 950platinum/ruthenium. I couldn't figure out why the color was slightly different from my Tiffany repo. Also, after 1 day of wearing them together, the Tiffany band "mis-shapened" my Tiffany repo setting slightly. I only figured out the answer last week after Diamondseeker's explanation on another thread!

diamondseeker2006|1458862257|4010624 said:
Is there a local jeweler that sells Vatche? Because if there is, then you wouldn't have to send your new diamond off to be set.
Diamondseeker, I think your prongs are just perfection! I have your ring saved in my "prongs" folder (Yes, I have a "prongs" folder :shifty: ). Was your stone sent to Vatche or did GOG set it for you? Also, I'm curious what the U-113 is made of?

NICHLO

Rough_Rock
Msop, I love your diamond! I plan on asking my jewler for a temp setting ....thanks for the great advice. I will be looking at I colored diamonds and I noticed yours is an I color. How do you feel about that? I have not had lower than an H (earring) so am nervous for something I will always see. I of course plan on looking at it in person but like getting opinions from all the ps peeps :dance:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
NICHLO|1459031339|4011476 said:
Msop, I love your diamond! I plan on asking my jewler for a temp setting ....thanks for the great advice. I will be looking at I colored diamonds and I noticed yours is an I color. How do you feel about that? I have not had lower than an H (earring) so am nervous for something I will always see. I of course plan on looking at it in person but like getting opinions from all the ps peeps :dance:

Thanks so much, NICHLO! I really love it! :love:

Honestly, I love the I color! It has faint fluorescence, but I can really tell a difference. I had a 2.43 J in a halo, and it looked white face up, but not from the side view. This stone is really white to me from every angle... I was very lucky to find a clean SI2 in that size as well. It allowed me to get another 1/3 ct! :dance:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My J always glowed "warm" in a dim room, but the halo made it appear brighter, I think... my I color really pops in dim light though. The room was really dark, but it just glowed! (in all fairness, my J wasn't nearly as nice of a cut as this one -- 2.7 HCA vs. 0.7)... :halo:

in_a_dim_room.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is as "warm" as it ever looks -- this was in the pharmacy with sh*t lighting and beige walls.

imageuploadedbytapatalk1458785304.jpg

cchloe

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1459032015|4011478 said:
My J always glowed "warm" in a dim room, but the halo made it appear brighter, I think... my I color really pops in dim light though. The room was really dark, but it just glowed! (in all fairness, my J wasn't nearly as nice of a cut as this one -- 2.7 HCA vs. 0.7)... :halo:

in_a_dim_room.jpg

msop04 excuse my uselessness for not being able to find a post about your diamond's stats but how many carats and what does it measure?! And what is your ring size? I'm loving it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1458865419|4010653 said:

Carebear has already pretty much explained the alloys, but I'll just add a note. The standard you usually find in stock fine jewelry is 95%platinum/5%iridium and that is the softest of the three and scratches more easily. 95%platinum/5%ruthenium is what Tiffany uses and is hardest. The other platinum that is more often used in handforging and other handmade pieces (Victor Canera, CVB, etc) is 90%platinum/10%iridium and it is also harder than the standard. I have my Vatche ring made in 900 platinum (90%plat/10iridium), and I wear it with a Tiffany Legacy band that has the plat/ruthenium. I can't see any difference in the two. Because of the tiny doughnut on the Vatche ring, the wedding band doesn't rub up against it, so the e-ring stays very shiny. The sides of the Legacy band have a slight patina from rubbing the e-ring doughnut, but you really can't see it since it is on the sides. Of course, I could have it polished if I ever wanted to.

CareBear said:
Diamondseeker, I think your prongs are just perfection! I have your ring saved in my "prongs" folder (Yes, I have a "prongs" folder :shifty: ). Was your stone sent to Vatche or did GOG set it for you? Also, I'm curious what the U-113 is made of?

Thank you! I have many folders, too, so I think a prongs folder is a super idea!

My stone was sent to Vatche to set since it is also in NY. The standard for Vatche, I think, is the 950plat/iridium. However, I asked for the 900plat/iridium and they did it for no extra charge. I have also heard of someone asking for the 950plat/ruthenium. So it is necessary to ask if you want the harder alloy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results