Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche settings... WOW

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
I havent seen/read much about Vatche settings on the site here although in searching I have seen a few posters who have some settings from this designer. In looking through the collection on the site http://dvatche.com Im really blown away by the very creative, artistic and classy designs. :-o

For those that have bought/seen these, what can you say about the quality of both the materials and construction, and the melee used in the settings?

These are all quite amazing and I know my LIW would love any of these. Its rare to find one or two settings from a designer that I love, but even moreso when you're talking about 4-5!


First up, the Corsica...this one is just stunning.




Next, the Fifth Avenue



 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
The 195 Sisley is also quite nice





and the 1021 Classic




And finally, the Solange





Im pretty much settled on a cushion cut so now Im trying to decide which setting to go with. If I cant find the right vintage/style setting to go with it, then one of these would certainly be a good choice by the looks of them. I think the Fifth Ave, Corsica and Solange are probably the best of the 3 for a cushion cut, what do you think?
 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
slg47|1315928861|3016536 said:
what style of cushion cut do you plan to get?

Im hoping for an AVC, but I'll have to see whats available within my budget. I love the chunkier facets and I want it to have plenty of fire. Im not as concerned with the color and clarity assuming the stone faces up fairly white and is eye clean. I sent an email to GOG to see what they have available and to take a look at a couple they show in inventory on their website:

These are the ones on their website:
$3003 0.93ct Cushion August Vintage M SI1 AGS Lab Report #: 104048709001
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7851/

$3765 1.07ct Cushion August Vintage J I1 AGS Lab Report #: 104053160002
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8540/

$3780 0.94ct Cushion 'Cushette' H VS2 Lab Report #: 5111895784 (This one's not an AVC, but would be good to see in comparison)
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4270/

$3825 0.89ct Cushion August Vintage J VS2 AGS Lab Report #: 104049939005
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8052/

$4099 1.10ct Cushion August Vintage M SI1 AGS Lab Report #: 104047822007
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7743/
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
I have a "plain" Royal Crown. I had a LOT of drama with getting the ring made/sized, etc. But now that I have the final one I think it's fantastic. It's hand crafted and you can tell, because there are just little things that give that away. I wish it was higher set, but that was someting the designer doesn't budge on, but they were willing to go thinner in the shank width for me AND were willing to put the sizing balls in it for me. There's one prong that drives me nuts but I don't want to send it back again for work so unless it snags on anything, Im leaving it alone.
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
smokey99|1315930365|3016566 said:
slg47|1315928861|3016536 said:
what style of cushion cut do you plan to get?

Im hoping for an AVC, but I'll have to see whats available within my budget. I love the chunkier facets and I want it to have plenty of fire. Im not as concerned with the color and clarity assuming the stone faces up fairly white and is eye clean. I sent an email to GOG to see what they have available and to take a look at a couple they show in inventory on their website:

These are the ones on their website:
$3003 0.93ct Cushion August Vintage M SI1 AGS Lab Report #: 104048709001
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7851/

$3765 1.07ct Cushion August Vintage J I1 AGS Lab Report #: 104053160002
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8540/

$3780 0.94ct Cushion 'Cushette' H VS2 Lab Report #: 5111895784 (This one's not an AVC, but would be good to see in comparison)
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/4270/

$3825 0.89ct Cushion August Vintage J VS2 AGS Lab Report #: 104049939005
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/8052/

$4099 1.10ct Cushion August Vintage M SI1 AGS Lab Report #: 104047822007
http://goodoldgold.com/diamond/7743/

Having owned both the cushette and the AVC I can say that they both are beautiful. I preferred the look of the AVC myself but had I not found PS (I bought both from GOG btw and used the one for the trade up to get the AVC) I would have been happy with it for life. They have more pin fire flashes (check out the star129 it's like that but cushion shaped). If your getting one of those settings you posted I think the cushette would look wonderful. More vintage flavored setting go for the AVC IMO :halo:


ETA: Had the AVC not been a prototype when I first got mine (the first batch to come out well before the AGS certification of them) I would have gotten an M color or lower colored stone. More value, beautiful colors and just all around YUMMY! I don't think you'll regret going for the size of the M and going down in color AT ALL and neither will see. Most people will have NEVER seen anything as beautiful as the AVC and won't pay any attention to the color at all. they'll just wonder what they heck they did wrong and got a diamond that doesn't have nearly as much character or life as the stone you presented your future fiance with ::)
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.
 

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 23, 2008
Messages
3,517
Dreamer_D|1315935015|3016625 said:
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.

I have to agree with dreamer on that one though, if you plan on having melee surrounding (in a non-custom setting) the stone I would get a higher color or go custom to have the lower melee match it. I know Jonathan is having melee cut in AVC and AVR and also does custom setting so you may be better off just going the entire job though him and skipping the designer setting (unless of course you have your heart set on it).
 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
vintagelover229 said:
Having owned both the cushette and the AVC I can say that they both are beautiful. I preferred the look of the AVC myself but had I not found PS (I bought both from GOG btw and used the one for the trade up to get the AVC) I would have been happy with it for life. They have more pin fire flashes (check out the star129 it's like that but cushion shaped). If your getting one of those settings you posted I think the cushette would look wonderful. More vintage flavored setting go for the AVC IMO :halo:


ETA: Had the AVC not been a prototype when I first got mine (the first batch to come out well before the AGS certification of them) I would have gotten an M color or lower colored stone. More value, beautiful colors and just all around YUMMY! I don't think you'll regret going for the size of the M and going down in color AT ALL and neither will see. Most people will have NEVER seen anything as beautiful as the AVC and won't pay any attention to the color at all. they'll just wonder what they heck they did wrong and got a diamond that doesn't have nearly as much character or life as the stone you presented your future fiance with ::)

Thats very encouraging :)
Thanks a bunch for taking time to respond to my posts with excellent links, info, experience and advice. Its much appreciated ! Im fortunate in that I'm in PA so a ride up to GOG is not tooooo bad(about 2.5-3 hours each way). Well worth it though to see in person what I would be getting.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
vintagelover229|1315936028|3016637 said:
Dreamer_D|1315935015|3016625 said:
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.

I have to agree with dreamer on that one though, if you plan on having melee surrounding (in a non-custom setting) the stone I would get a higher color or go custom to have the lower melee match it. I know Jonathan is having melee cut in AVC and AVR and also does custom setting so you may be better off just going the entire job though him and skipping the designer setting (unless of course you have your heart set on it).
having lower color melee will not help. The color difference is not only a function of the body color of the rocks but of light return in the different sizes and the way the eye perceives it from the smaller and larger rock. I think the contrast is actually pretty with a lower colored stone, but it is NOT for everyone.

Since you can go to GOG yourself, so that it is well worth the drive, and take your LIW with you please so she can decide too what she likes 8)
 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
Dreamer_D|1315935015|3016625 said:
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.
Great point. I definitely dont want the warmer color to stick out against a very white pave. I'll have to speak to Jonathan about what options I would have. Its already a limited budget, so Im not sure what all can be done, but we'll see ;-)
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
smokey99|1315939582|3016682 said:
Dreamer_D|1315935015|3016625 said:
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.
Great point. I definitely dont want the warmer color to stick out against a very white pave. I'll have to speak to Jonathan about what options I would have. Its already a limited budget, so Im not sure what all can be done, but we'll see ;-)
Just get a solitaire without diamonds on it.
 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
Dreamer_D|1315939481|3016678 said:
vintagelover229|1315936028|3016637 said:
Dreamer_D|1315935015|3016625 said:
Unless the wearer is a real lover of warm diamonds, I would not set an M color AVC in a pave mount. I had the pleasure of owning an M color AVC for a short time and although the soft buttery warmth is beautiful, it is VERY obvious when next to smaller melee white diamonds. Best to stick with J or higher in color unless you involve the intended wearer and get her opinion.

I have to agree with dreamer on that one though, if you plan on having melee surrounding (in a non-custom setting) the stone I would get a higher color or go custom to have the lower melee match it. I know Jonathan is having melee cut in AVC and AVR and also does custom setting so you may be better off just going the entire job though him and skipping the designer setting (unless of course you have your heart set on it).
having lower color melee will not help. The color difference is not only a function of the body color of the rocks but of light return in the different sizes and the way the eye perceives it from the smaller and larger rock. I think the contrast is actually pretty with a lower colored stone, but it is NOT for everyone.

Since you can go to GOG yourself, so that it is well worth the drive, and take your LIW with you please so she can decide too what she likes 8)
And spoil the surprise? ;-) tsk tsk ! :lol:

She doesnt wear any fancy jewelry and we have very similar tastes anyway so Im fairly confident she'll be happy with whatever I pick for her. But even on the off chance that she isnt, thats one of the benefits of purchasing at GOG too...their return/exchange/upgrade policy is stellar.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
I dunno, I am someone who HATES surprises. HATE. And my Dh knew that, and knew that I'd return it if I wasn't involved completely. You're asking somoene to share their life with you, unless she doesn't want to know, don't leave her out. I think it's a good idea to propose with a diamond in a temp setting and pick a final setting together.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
haha. The women on the forum almost always say to involve them and the men always want it to be a surprise and say they know their woman's taste and can pick for her. Sometimes this is true. Sometimes it is not, and that is a very very sad day for the couple.

Make the enagegment a surprise but not the ring, that is my opinion. Propose with a ring pop and pick a ring together. She might choose a smaller colorless stone, or a huge O/P color, plus shopping for diamonds is fuuuun!
 

mogster

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
364
There are so many ways you could surprise her even if you picked the ring out together. You might gauge how involved she wants to be (maybe not at all). Here is an old thread on engagement ring involvement ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-e-ring-poll-for-the-diamond-crowd.163024/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/an-e-ring-poll-for-the-diamond-crowd.163024/[/URL]), though the results might be skewed because if you're on Pricescope, you're predisposed to care about diamonds/jewelry. In any case, the Vatche setting is really beautiful and good luck to you!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
I haven't seen the Corsica before. It's stunning. That one gets my vote!
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,607
They are all stunning and classic! I like the first one best! Wow :love: I would be over the moon to receive that one!
 

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Mar 18, 2009
Messages
6,724
I second that surprises are not always a good idea, especially on a meaningful expensive gift.
 

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jan 18, 2009
Messages
2,201
I was not included on my ering purchase though I had input. I strongly suggest gauging her opinion on whether she does want to weigh in. He wanted it to be a surprise and I wanted to weigh in. So, our compromise was that I provided very specific parameters and he chose. Perhaps take that route?
 

smokey99

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Aug 16, 2011
Messages
124
She is the type that would want me to do it for her. Im comfortable choosing something for her and i want it to be a surprise. For some women (and likely a higher percentage here) that mightnot be the case, but im glad and prefer it that way ;-)
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,198
Just as an FYI. While GOG's policies are great... the setting won't be returnable.
 

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Jul 7, 2004
Messages
10,763
Nope. And many if not all are non-returnable.
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Top 5 Honeymoon Destinations
    Tennis Bracelet Love
    Tennis Bracelet Love

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top