shape
carat
color
clarity

Vatche Setting Question

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
I am forever grateful to Wink & Melissa at HPD for helping me set a stone I got elsewhere into a Vatche setting and allowing me to have the setting I wanted and stay within budget (separate post to come on my great experience later).

I just wanted to ask for some of your opinions on my Vatche Felicity Setting which is absolutely lovely and beautiful and I get tonnes of compliments on it. When you look at the ring front on, you can see metal on the sides (in most lighting conditions it's hardly noticeable). Would this bother you or am I silly for noticing? It is only after seeing the macro photo that I noticed (picture below)

I emailed Vatche and they said it is within the acceptable parameters of center stone setting from the factory but are willing to adjust it for me if I send it back. Shipping back and forth from Australia will easily be a few hundred dollars though. I've seen a slightly smaller stone from WF (0.728 while mine is 0.8 ) in this setting and it doesn't seem to have this problem: http://www.whiteflash.com/photos/2016/05/vatche-1513-felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring_44262_23327_g-21182.jpg

Appreciate your views and opinions!
Thanks everyone

_37912.jpg

_37913.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think I would be happy with that. I hate that it wasn't caught before it was sent to you, but knowing Wink, I am sure he will help you resolve the problem. If you were coming to the US during the next year, it would probably be easier to bring it with you or pick it up here. But otherwise, I hope the shipping issues can be worked out.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
Worth getting it fixed up I think. The style of the ring is absolutely gorgeous.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you for your kind words DiamondSeeker.

I am out of the office until Monday, but I will indeed be willing to help.

There are some forms that must be filled out both when you send the ring back to the United States and also when I return it to you so that there are no customs on either direction.

Unfortunately, I can not send you a label since you are not in the States, but when we have all the right paper work filled out if you will send me a copy of the label BEFORE you ship it, I will get it insured from my end. I will also pay the shipping and insurance from my end when I return it to you.

When the adjustment is done, I will take another photo for you. I should have noticed the slight metal rim on the diamond, but frankly, the thing looked so good to the eye that I did not even notice it. Thus the insurance and the shipping will be on me.

Wink

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that the 0.8c J SI1?? What a beautiful stone and setting. :love: Looks so clean and sharp. Good photography as well.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Thanks everyone for your reply and compliments.

Wink - Thank you so much for your offer. I have been trying to convince myself that it is perfect the way it is especially since Vatche said it was acceptable to them. But every now and then I just can't help but notice. :oops: I think it's the pricescope syndrome. I'll shoot you an email soon, once again I am very grateful.

Flyingpig - Thank you for your kind words. Yes it's the J SI1. I took the photos with my samsung camera (except the first one taken by Wink). The setting is absolutely beautiful especially from the profile view (another pic below) - I can't help staring at it constantly in public. I think the Felicity does not get much love on pricescope, but the thin band really makes a smaller stone pop.

_37971.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring, and Wink is top notch in every way! :appl:

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
istase2000|1470223839|4062002 said:

Wink - Thank you so much for your offer. I have been trying to convince myself that it is perfect the way it is especially since Vatche said it was acceptable to them. But every now and then I just can't help but notice. :oops: I think it's the pricescope syndrome. I'll shoot you an email soon, once again I am very grateful.

Flyingpig - Thank you for your kind words. Yes it's the J SI1. I took the photos with my samsung camera (except the first one taken by Wink). The setting is absolutely beautiful especially from the profile view (another pic below) - I can't help staring at it constantly in public. I think the Felicity does not get much love on pricescope, but the thin band really makes a smaller stone pop.

I love your setting. I have the Vatche Serenity setting for my CBI RHR ring which is just like the Felicity except that mine has pave on the shank.

Wink will take care of you, I have known and worked with him since 2004, he has delivered beautiful jewelry every single time.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
cflutist|1470263116|4062247 said:
istase2000|1470223839|4062002 said:

I love your setting. I have the Vatche Serenity setting for my CBI RHR ring which is just like the Felicity except that mine has pave on the shank.

Wink will take care of you, I have known and worked with him since 2004, he has delivered beautiful jewelry every single time.
Your ring is beautiful and it really inspired me to get the setting. Your CBI diamond is the star though! Wear it in health!

I'm really happy and lucky that Wink will take care of me.

The reason I chose Vatche is because of their reputation and craftsmanship and I knew that was going to be hard to find in Australia. And they did deliver except for this small gripe. My question is how this passed their quality assurance and is considered within their acceptable parameters? I'm just hoping that my post can help other people in the future. Do we need to be more specific about our requirements before they begin production? :lol:

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
The design of the ring itself, seems to me, to run the risk of this happening. I can see from the example on the Whiteflash website (the hand shot picture) that you'd run the risk of seeing metal from the top view:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/felicity-solitaire-engagement-ring-by-vatche-1613.htm

I just take as an example the Melissa ring from BGD, which wouldn't show metal because the bar across, where the shank joins the head, is positioned downwards into a U shape:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/melissa-platinum-5366p

I'm also from Australia and chose a Vatche setting for much the same reasons as you. However this seems a problem intrinsic to the design of the ring.

mcosme

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for everyone's support!

Just wanted to provide an update. I ended up sending the ring back and Wink and Melissa are champs, helping ensure Vatche remade the setting perfectly! I won't get the ring till after I return from my holiday at the end of the month, but here are some "after" photos Wink sent me for now :bigsmile: :sun:

Thank you again!

_38389.jpg

_38390.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results