shape
carat
color
clarity

Vasectomy questions

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
My DH had the *snip,snip* many years ago and what was surprising to me was that he suggested it. The reason that he volunteed was that I had been on heavy duty b/c for so many years that my 'mask of pregnancy' was getting progressively darker (and totally unattractive).

The procedure was done in our local hospital in the morning by our PCP and by noon he was back home. His biggest complaint was the swelling and bruising both of which were caused by walking around too much at first. Ice packs were then the remedy for a rather speedy recovery.

And for DF's benefit, I'll guarantee 'it' stil works just fine - thanks for asking. :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkly Blonde|1307405996|2939399 said:
Note: I haven't read the other responses yet. DH had his Vasectomy at age 22. We both knew that we didn't want children and that to have an oops pregnancy would be devastating. DH bounces back very quickly from illnesses and is in excellent health. With that being said, he really wasn't able to do much for the few days afterwards. His testicles were bruised which caused a lot of pain when walking and sitting wasn't much better. His preferred method of resting was slouched far down on the couch playing video games while putting ice on himself. Even a week later he was walking with a gimp and would tell people he hurt himself playing tennis (we avoid the baby question as often as possible). The actual procedure went very smoothly and was quite interesting to watch! He took a Valium beforehand to make him loopy and they used local anesthetic to numb the area. DH was seeing so many rainbows he didn't notice the pinch of the needle :cheeky: His experiences may also depend greatly on who does the procedure. We went through planned parenthood because of the cost and the fact that they didn't have an age requirement. Through them it was doctors in training doing the procedure but being supervised by actual doctors.

eta: he can do a lot more than just go the bathroom! DH took a week off from work (he has a ridiculously large amount of vacation and sick time) and still gimped around getting food, doing the the dishes, washing the clothes and helping out where he could.

Wow so young!!!! We discuss not wanting children but I don't think at 28 we are ready to go that far yet.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My best friend's husband had a vasectomy done a few years ago. I have in the past asked him how the procedure was because we are thinking of snipping up once we are done having kids. I hate being on the pill, we both hate condoms and the mere thought of an unplanned pregnancy scares the living daylights out of me.

Anyways, he said the procedure and the down time after wasn't too bad at all. He had a little limo for a few days, took 3 days off work and didn't run for a week. It was recommended to avoid sex for the first 3 days as well, but apparently they were at it the very next day! So obviously the pain was most certainly bearable.

Your hubby needs to put on his big boy panties. Either send him off to his mother to deal with, or tell him to fend for himself if he would prefer to stay home. Big boys don't cry. Or act wimpy.

Also, I loved how you told him to get a c-section to know the kind of pain women go through. When my friend's husband (not the one mentioned above) acts whiny with a cold, she asks him to imagine having a tennis ball come out of his penis. Horrifying? I thought so. So now shut up about your stuffed nose already!

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'd just let him sit on the couch for three days if he wants to. I would not be inclined to hand him so much as a glass of water though. I would probably just stay out of the room he was wallowing in. Hunger would eventually drive him to the kitchen (where I'd arrange it that he had to wash up at least one plate and one set of cutlery before he could eat...)

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
PT, nah, I was born w/an umbilical hernia that got unbearable during my pregnancies. I had it fixed when our 2nd was about 8 months old.

Thanks for the continued replies everyone! I talked w/Dr this morning and she said he would need to be "quiet" for a few days, no lifting, because of the risk of bleeding into the testicles I think she said? I admit I wasn't paying a ton of attention sitting there in my little gown and lap cover. I don't know when it will be..you know how the "never a right time" thing goes.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Amys Bling|1307462207|2939847 said:
Sparkly Blonde|1307405996|2939399 said:
Note: I haven't read the other responses yet. DH had his Vasectomy at age 22. We both knew that we didn't want children and that to have an oops pregnancy would be devastating. DH bounces back very quickly from illnesses and is in excellent health. With that being said, he really wasn't able to do much for the few days afterwards. His testicles were bruised which caused a lot of pain when walking and sitting wasn't much better. His preferred method of resting was slouched far down on the couch playing video games while putting ice on himself. Even a week later he was walking with a gimp and would tell people he hurt himself playing tennis (we avoid the baby question as often as possible). The actual procedure went very smoothly and was quite interesting to watch! He took a Valium beforehand to make him loopy and they used local anesthetic to numb the area. DH was seeing so many rainbows he didn't notice the pinch of the needle :cheeky: His experiences may also depend greatly on who does the procedure. We went through planned parenthood because of the cost and the fact that they didn't have an age requirement. Through them it was doctors in training doing the procedure but being supervised by actual doctors.

eta: he can do a lot more than just go the bathroom! DH took a week off from work (he has a ridiculously large amount of vacation and sick time) and still gimped around getting food, doing the the dishes, washing the clothes and helping out where he could.

Wow so young!!!! We discuss not wanting children but I don't think at 28 we are ready to go that far yet.

For us it was an easy choice (luckily!) Six years later and neither one of us has regretted it for a moment.

One thing I dir think of is that DH was scared he wouldn't ejaculate after the procedure. Once he found out this wasn't true he was 100% onboard even making his own appointments

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
We've talked about this a little bit since I'm pg with #2 and we are done. DH said he did some googling and found all these stories of things going wrong and how it means things get backed up and how it all sounded pretty bad,etc. I obviously didn't really listen but told him my impression is its's very straight forward and guys have been doing it forever.
Reading all of this confirms my impression.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
isaku5|1307461495|2939840 said:
My DH had the *snip,snip* many years ago and what was surprising to me was that he suggested it. The reason that he volunteed was that I had been on heavy duty b/c for so many years that my 'mask of pregnancy' was getting progressively darker (and totally unattractive).

The procedure was done in our local hospital in the morning by our PCP and by noon he was back home. His biggest complaint was the swelling and bruising both of which were caused by walking around too much at first. Ice packs were then the remedy for a rather speedy recovery.

And for DF's benefit, I'll guarantee 'it' stil works just fine - thanks for asking. :bigsmile:
but wouldn't IT shrink?.. :bigsmile:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
TheDoctor|1307472720|2940015 said:
It will not make a vas deferens.

Oh, WELL played, sir.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

:appl: I must tip my hat to you sir. Very good.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband had the procedure. I'm a fast healer, had both of my kids without pain meds, but at the same time I do think it helps with the healing to try to keep off his feet and ice frequently during that time. Doesn't mean he can't get up to get something to eat or drink for himself. When he had it done I did let him pretty much sit on the couch those first couple days. And after that he got stir crazy and got off the couch, with a few more sessions of icing.
I felt sympathetic, not really for the pain but more for the emotional distress. Basically your man is getting "neutered" and it is a kind of blow to the male ego and identity. But after it's all said and done he's really happy he got it done.

My husband does a lot of work around the house so I don't have resentment built up however.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Both of my husbands have had vasectomies. I can only vaguely recall the first one but I don't think it was a big deal. My second husbnad had one and I know he sat with frozen peas on his junk. the thing that bugged him the most was having to have a soak in the tub instead of a shower. I don't think he was forbidden to work or lift anything heavy.

Honestly it seems to me to be no big deal at all. The first time around my ex was in and out so fast I felt like asking him to drop his pants and prove to me he had it done!

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My DH said he knew a lot of guys that have had them and the ones who wore a jock for a week did great and the guys who didn't
suffered the most. Other than that it didn't seem like a big deal to him. This is coming from the man who practically turned blue
every time I mentioned it.

If he wants to wait till your kids are teenagers he might be willing to do it without anesthetic. :naughty:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1307465387|2939901 said:
PT, nah, I was born w/an umbilical hernia that got unbearable during my pregnancies. I had it fixed when our 2nd was about 8 months old.

Thanks for the continued replies everyone! I talked w/Dr this morning and she said he would need to be "quiet" for a few days, no lifting, because of the risk of bleeding into the testicles I think she said? I admit I wasn't paying a ton of attention sitting there in my little gown and lap cover. I don't know when it will be..you know how the "never a right time" thing goes.

About the "right time" my husband had his done on Valentines day (I think the doctor had a sense of humor).
What about Father's day :naughty:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How's this for crazy: my brother decided to get a vasectomy (unbeknownst to me, of course), had it done two block away from where FI were living at the time, and out of the blue, he and my SIL showed up at my door asking me if I wanted to go have lunch. I said, "what are you guys doing up here today?" My brother replied, "oh, I just had a vasectomy." :oops: I was like, "let's go have lunch and never speak of this AGAIN." He just had local anesthetic but I think he's so un-used to drugs in his system (he doesn't drink, either) that he got a little loopy and thoughtless. My mother thought it was hysterical when I related the story to her later. My father was PISSED that he only had one child and called it quits. I was just in awe that my SIL let him drive (even though it was only 2 blocks) to my house after having surgery, no matter how minor. Word on the family grapevine was that it took him less than two days to get back to normal activity. Um, I also remember gauze falling out of his track pants while he was standing in my driveway while we were talking about where to go for lunch. Jeez. :rolleyes:

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Excellent.

princesss

Ideal_Rock

*snort* Well played, sir! Very well played.

Scorpioanne

Shiny_Rock
Dancing Fire|1307417926|2939588 said:
:o ..what if it doesn't work anymore after a vasectomy?
The dr. told my fisrt husband "it's like a sunkist orange - all juice and no seeds, other than that it is the same"

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results