shape
carat
color
clarity

Van Cleef & Arpel's Alahambra

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everthing old is new again- I guess. Saw an ad for the VC&A Alahambra necklace (clover leaf design with mother of pearl). Did a little research and saw it also in onyx, tiger eye, carnelian, diamond or just plain gold. This design has been around forever-as pieces are sold on 1st Dibs, Etsy Ebay,etc as "vintage". Now I have noticed ladies of wealth wearing pieces of this line. Anyone else notice this trend? I like the design very much but it is really expensive.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
The Alhambra design is one of my faves but I'd personally rather put that money toward diamonds :naughty:

I love the clover design though so I hope to get an Alhambra piece one day... Bucket list.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I love this version. Dangly!

_35034.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockinruby, thanks for the link. I knew PS would have noticed too. But it seems I am years too late getting into The Alahambra. I have always opted for classic and somehow missed out in the 70's. I had really never noticed anyone wearing this until recently. The VCA bangle is lovely too..

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I don't get the fascination with the VC Alhambra line. It's somewhat pretty, I guess, but I don't think it's exquisitely or exceptionally so, and then there's the fact that the prices are absolutely eye-watering....for low-cost materials like tiger eye. If I were a businessperson and someone came in with a proposal - to sell this design, these materials, to be sold at this price - I would be 100% confident that no one would buy it. But they do, which is astonishing to me. I don't think it's break-the-bank kind of beautiful. Sometimes you break the bank for an exceptional piece, but in my eyes a fat chubby flower made of low-cost materials isn't it!

But I know a lot of people love it, and to love your jewelry is all that matters.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jambalaya|1449392872|3958174 said:
Personally, I don't get the fascination with the VC Alhambra line. It's somewhat pretty, I guess, but I don't think it's exquisitely or exceptionally so, and then there's the fact that the prices are absolutely eye-watering....for low-cost materials like tiger eye. If I were a businessperson and someone came in with a proposal - to sell this design, these materials, to be sold at this price - I would be 100% confident that no one would buy it. But they do, which is astonishing to me. I don't think it's break-the-bank kind of beautiful. Sometimes you break the bank for an exceptional piece, but in my eyes a fat chubby flower made of low-cost materials isn't it!

But I know a lot of people love it, and to love your jewelry is all that matters.

I think for most people buying VCA pieces regularly (I most certainly am not one :bigsmile: ) it is probably not "break the bank" or even close ::) VCA Alhambra is designed as day-wear - it's meant to be whimsical, colourful, and carefree. Certainly not haute couture, despite the pricetags!

I personally find the line both beautiful and compelling, and greatly treasure the few pieces I have :))

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
To me it is an understated elegance. The pieces are beautiful and indeed way overpriced for MOP, tigers eye, onyx, malachite, carnelian, turqoise, lapis, etc. It really did not hit the mass market and seems to be worn by 'those who know' this signature line. To me it would be worn by fashionable women who do no wear obvious labels on the outside but rather rely upon classic clean and elegant lines and beautiful fabrics such as cashmeres and silks. I think it is worn as casual jewelry for the wealthy. Interestingly, LV has come out with a similiar style necklace but instead of clovers/butterflies it is its trademarked pattern you see on their purses.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results