shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of antique vs. re-creation

Spring Day

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa.... ummm what just happened here? This just seemed like an educational thread and then for some reason turned into a WWE smackdown? Or is this high school cuz someone is getting a bit dramatic.

Umm, ok this is awkward but I think I worded my comment wrong. I was referring to you @Pinkmartini87. I was actually learning a lot from reading @ForteKitty posts and all of a sudden there was talk of putting people on ignore and WWE smackdown? Why escalate it to this point? Why can’t we all just learn from each other? Like you said, this is supposed to be a fun educational forum so aren’t we supposed to be exchanging facts and learning? I thought that’s what you two were doing. No one likes being corrected and neither do I but I accept it with open arms. I don't want to go through life with misinformation. I would rather look like a fool for a moment than for the rest of my life.

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
“You think I'm annoyed. Where are you even getting this? I just said don't put words in my mouth, which you just did, again. I'm very straightforward, and if you take that as "touchy", I can't control that. How is this a WWE smackdown? :lol: Are you reading tones when there aren't any?”

Well, saying I feel someone is annoyed is not really putting words in that person’s mouth (now it would be if I’m saying instead “YOU are telling me you are being annoyed by me”. I’m just interpreting what I perceive to be your emotion based on a few lines on a website, and this sort of interpretation is by nature one-sided since I’m the one doing the interpreting.

If I’m reading tones where there aren’t any, then it’s not the first time it’s happened on an Internet forum for sure.

Maybe I’m projecting a little here since I really don’t feel like I’m putting words in someone’s mouth, but am repeatedly being told I am regardless, so yes, I suppose I find that annoying to me.

Of course, I would be more than glad to have read a wrong tone for you and that you are not annoyed.

@Spring Day I really was having lots of fun learning too and then I felt maybe I was being shut down a bit by being told I was touting speculations as facts. That has a negative connotation to me and I can’t help it if it felt a bit like a damper to me. Isn’t this what we are all doing here, sharing our opinions and speculations with the intent of helping and educating each other? I never once said what I believe in is the fact or the bottom line (that would be like putting words in my mouth :lol:).

I’m more than happy to admit when I’m wrong and certainly have already in the thread above when I happily ceded to the fact that the ring I thought was a real Art Deco piece may in fact not be as @ForteKitty astutely pointed out to me. I’ve been a “fool” many times on PS and that’s how I’ve learned, no shame in that!

@ForteKitty has actually taught me lots in the past and maybe that’s why I’m taking this a bit harder than maybe I ought to since if this was coming from someone who I didn’t have lots of positive interactions with before I may not be as disappointed/slighted.

I guess I’m not really sure what went wrong here either to be honest. All I know is I’leaving this thread feeling a little put down.

And the WWE (or is it WWF) is obv a joke. I still have all my teeth intact and no one’s dropped a chair on my head yet. Me and my very small violin will just go sit in the corner now :boohoo:

And to be honest, there’s a big part of me that feels a bit stupid just about now having written a mini essay on an Internet forum about hurt feelings on a Saturday night to strangers. Something sort of sad about me and my life if this is how I’m spending my Saturday nights these days lol. Maybe time to take a break from PS.

Last edited:

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
It is the pandemic...it has a lot of people feeling edgy and frustrated, I myself just tell myself to ignore internet annoyances (FB is a minefield) ...it isn't worth the angst. I don't need another ulcer...;)2

Pinkmartini87

Brilliant_Rock
It is the pandemic...it has a lot of people feeling edgy and frustrated, I myself just tell myself to ignore internet annoyances (FB is a minefield) ...it isn't worth the angst. I don't need another ulcer...;)2

Thanks for the kind words and sensible advice. I think you are right. I know I’m more cooped up these days. I don’t need another ulcer either! Already popping Tums like tic tacs lol.

I think I’ll take a break from PS for a while. A little time out.

PS love your new avatar photo—your kitty is a cutie!

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
Thank you....I adore the little brat, lol! I have graduated from Tums to Pepto...;)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So to answer the original question—I’m glad it was posed bc I gravitate to antique pieces and appreciate them bc of the artistry and quality in the genuine ones—how do I know when they are genuine? When I can honestly say “they don’t make them like that anymore.” That is my litmus test. It’s a plus if they are stamped iridium plat. 90
But often they have been reshanked so there’s that.
I come here a lot to ask if some look like reproduction vs true antique bc I suppose that originals are more valuable if they are well maintained—which is rare—but does happen— bc people tend to baby their jewelry—especially collectors or addicts who own way too many—and that’s where the good stuff is! So do I shy away from reproductions? Not if they are a great deal and that is why I like to distinguish between the two bc I don’t want to overpay. So the stones in the reproductions better be worth it or I pass.

Last edited:

MiniMinerva

Shiny_Rock
@Pinkmartini87 @ForteKitty and @Spring Day , I’m really sorry if my initial questions and/or encouragement of further discussion catalyzed this stressful situation! I learned so much and I am so appreciative for the time you took to help me. I truly hope to see everyone again soon around here. I hate that I might have caused this within the first week of joining PS :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results