shape
carat
color
clarity

Value of amethyst

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonoma,
Roger explained it very well. I recall Gene also mentioning the same thing. It doesn’t make sense for him to facet a very inexpensive material and then sell it for very little when he has already invested X amount of time into it. He would make more money cutting something larger and more expensive since he would invest about the same amount of time faceting it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
So if someone who is a good cutter facets a small amethyst, one could reason it must be fine material since he took the time to cut it, right?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2009 9:16:08 AM
Author: cinnamon013
So if someone who is a good cutter facets a small amethyst, one could reason it must be fine material since he took the time to cut it, right?
I believe that would be the case or it is a special request where the buyer is willing to pay more for his cutting time.

Roger Dery

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Cinnamon013,
I would have to assume, if a ''good cutter'' facets a small Amethyst, they would choose the finest rough they have to make it worth their while. In the context of ''good cutter'', I would assume you are referring to a custom cutter in north America. So, yes, what you state above would generally be true.

That being said, I, like other custom cutters sometimes take on projects that places us in a position to cut several stones to match. So let''s say a store owner asks me to cut a three-piece-suite of 8mm rounds in very fine, natural Amethyst. I know from past experience, that even if I cut them all from the same piece of rough, they may not all come out the same. Then, you are cutting four, or five to get three to match. So what to do with the left overs? And this is where you may see someone who custom cuts will have smaller, reasonably priced Amethyst (insert Citrine, Rose Quartz, Lemon Quartz, or other inexpensive roughs, etc. here).

This helpful?

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 9:41:56 AM
Author: Roger Dery

Cinnamon013,
I would have to assume, if a ''good cutter'' facets a small Amethyst, they would choose the finest rough they have to make it worth their while. In the context of ''good cutter'', I would assume you are referring to a custom cutter in north America. So, yes, what you state above would generally be true.

That being said, I, like other custom cutters sometimes take on projects that places us in a position to cut several stones to match. So let''s say a store owner asks me to cut a three-piece-suite of 8mm rounds in very fine, natural Amethyst. I know from past experience, that even if I cut them all from the same piece of rough, they may not all come out the same. Then, you are cutting four, or five to get three to match. So what to do with the left overs? And this is where you may see someone who custom cuts will have smaller, reasonably priced Amethyst (insert Citrine, Rose Quartz, Lemon Quartz, or other inexpensive roughs, etc. here).

This helpful?
Yes, a north American cutter. And yes, you have been very helpful. That makes perfect sense and helps a lot.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Roger, Chrono, Mr. Amethyst & all.

---for domestic US or CA gem cutters, it isn''t financially feasible to be cutting smaller stones when working with inexpensive roughs ---

I understand that part. But, in reality, how many people want a 7 ct. (or so) amethyst? What do you do with the darn thing?

I''d be willing to pay whatever for a great stone, great cut 1.5 - 2 ct, even if it was not proportional to the rough price.

Barry Bridgstock does this with his blue topaz and they sell right away.

Thanks again.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 4:37:12 PM
Author: sonomacounty
Thanks Roger, Chrono, Mr. Amethyst & all.

---for domestic US or CA gem cutters, it isn''t financially feasible to be cutting smaller stones when working with inexpensive roughs ---

I understand that part. But, in reality, how many people want a 7 ct. (or so) amethyst? What do you do with the darn thing?

I''d be willing to pay whatever for a great stone, great cut 1.5 - 2 ct, even if it was not proportional to the rough price.

Barry Bridgstock does this with his blue topaz and they sell right away.

Thanks again.
sonomacounty - I agree! I have been watching a siberian amethyst that was on Barry''s site for a while. I contacted Barry a week or so ago to ask about it and he replied saying it has great colors but was just a little small or he’d be wearing it in a ring. It is smaller (by amethyst usual cuts you find standards) - a 6.5x7.2 oval. I even queried PS folks without saying it was an amethyst and most thought the size was fine - but no one knew it was an amethyst. I hummed and ho’d about getting it, hoping no one would buy it until I decided. It is 1.45 carats, which makes it $60 a carat. With Barry’s cutting and the fact that he said “it has all the colors and feels that his supernova oval is his favorite cut for the Artigas amethyst because it scrambles the colors and the result is outstanding” made me think it was a nice little gem just sitting on his site waiting for me to come and take it home. I just bought it! Yeah! Amethyst is my birthstone, and I do have several pieces of jewelry of it – though none of them are anything I wear. They are mostly pieces from when I was a teenager and got them as presents from my parents. He did say that he felt it wouldn’t look very good in silver. I saw someone’s LOGR with rose gold and a white gold shank. Now that was pretty! Might have to think about that!
30.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2009 5:14:05 PM
sonomacounty - I agree! I have been watching a siberian amethyst that was on Barry''s site for a while. I contacted Barry a week or so ago to ask about it and he replied saying it has great colors but was just a little small or he’d be wearing it in a ring. It is smaller (by amethyst usual cuts you find standards) - a 6.5x7.2 oval. I even queried PS folks without saying it was an amethyst and most thought the size was fine - but no one knew it was an amethyst. I hummed and ho’d about getting it, hoping no one would buy it until I decided. It is 1.45 carats, which makes it $60 a carat. With Barry’s cutting and the fact that he said “it has all the colors and feels that his supernova oval is his favorite cut for the Artigas amethyst because it scrambles the colors and the result is outstanding” made me think it was a nice little gem just sitting on his site waiting for me to come and take it home. I just bought it! Yeah! Amethyst is my birthstone, and I do have several pieces of jewelry of it – though none of them are anything I wear. They are mostly pieces from when I was a teenager and got them as presents from my parents. He did say that he felt it wouldn’t look very good in silver. I saw someone’s LOGR with rose gold and a white gold shank. Now that was pretty! Might have to think about that!
30.gif
Cinnamon - Good for you! I''ve been looking at that little stone as well, and I''m glad to see that it is going to a good home.

Please consider a rich yellow gold for the setting. Yellow and purple are complementary colors, so a yellow setting should make the purple pop.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7 carats would be fine for pendants and brooches. Some can pull it off in earrings.

Cinnamon,
1.45 ct isn’t small at all. My amethyst earrings are about that size. Wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/12/2009 8:52:31 AM
Author: Chrono
7 carats would be fine for pendants and brooches. Some can pull it off in earrings.

Cinnamon,
1.45 ct isn’t small at all. My amethyst earrings are about that size. Wear whatever you like and feel comfortable in.
The amethyst ring I posted on the first page is 13 carats!!
6.gif

It doesn''t bother me at all to wear it, and it also doubles as a weapon. LOL!!

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Here is a photo of a bit of Georgia rock:
The color is paler than what I usually think of as amethyst and it is also more blue.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Hope this is small enough to attach.

lou redo.JPG

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I have a faceted 6mm round amethyst from the Four Peaks mine. It was really hard to source smaller stones with the red flash that Four Peaks is known for. Garry Dutton had a bunch of them, and sent me several to look at and choose from. Not are were well cut, but the cushions he had were pretty! They just didn''t fit the mounting I had to put them in. I paid about $40 for my stone, I''m not sure what the carat weight was, but probably close to 1ct.

I did find a use for a 20ct amethyst. It''s hanging from the rear-view mirror in my car
2.gif
. I bought a silver colored cage type setting, popped it in there, and strung it on a ribbon. It sparkles great, and hasn''t lost any color in a year of hot desert sun.

I love the blue on those Georgia stones!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Here is a crystal I found last summer from JXR(i think I used it as my avatar for a minute). It only has small portions that would be cuttable but it's the color which I liked and it's a better specimen than a cut stone. Please note: Stone is backlit to show color. Can you even call this amethyst? It has a lot blue and very little purple. good color

jxr good blue find.jpg

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Amguy,
That looks a lot better than in avatar size. Reminds me of a beautiful tropical fish.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Am Guy,
Your amethyst looks much better in full size. Nice specimen.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
I got my little amythest from Barry and it is a BEAUTY! I left my memory stick at work, so pictures will have to wait. I love the little guy. Like a piece of candy!

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
Come on memory stick..maybe tomorrow?

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
This just got pulled out of the acetone about 3 hours ago. It''s a JXR Georgia ammy that the same guy(george..gsellis to those that recognize the name), who cut my ampa, finished for me last night. 7.9ct George''s pics again. Should be in the mail in a day or two to my house or I could just drive the 10 minutes to his house to go pick them up

jxr ammy 2 george.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
same stone different angle

jxr ammy 1 george.jpg

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
oh yea should have started another thread but this one was pretty cool..thanks for looking
jason

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous stone, amguy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take the 10 minute drive.
11.gif

BTW, nice amethyst. Is the 2nd picture taken with a flash? Wish I could see the red and blue flash in it.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
sorry to rehash an old thread but I had george come over today and he finally brought my ammy''s and tourmaline with him..here is the same stone as the above pics but I took this picture 4700K bulb..just happy I finally got it in my possession

7.9ct JXR 450.jpg

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/1/2009 5:08:47 PM
Author: amethystguy
sorry to rehash an old thread but I had george come over today and he finally brought my ammy''s and tourmaline with him..here is the same stone as the above pics but I took this picture 4700K bulb..just happy I finally got it in my possession
Beautiful stone!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results